RIM nears iPhone's sales with 6.7 million BlackBerries

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
After a symbolic victory over Research in Motion, Apple may have its fortunes reversed as the BlackBerry maker has almost exactly matched iPhone 3G summer sales during the fall.

The Waterloo, Ontario, Canada company said on Thursday that it had shipped about 6.7 million smartphones between September and November in what's characterized as a "record" quarter.

Even as a "challenging" world economy threatened to undo RIM's success, the firm says it earned about $2.8 billion in revenue, a dramatic 66.3 percent leap over the fall quarter in 2007. Roughly 81 percent of that money is chalked up to phone sales, while the rest is split across services and software.

Much of the increase is credited directly to a trio of phone launches in the period that included the BlackBerry Bold, Pearl Flip and Storm. Despite frequently hostile reactions by reviewers to the Storm, the company's first-ever touchscreen phone, the company said in a statement that its new lineup was being snapped up at an "even faster pace" than anticipated.

In a financial conference call held after the close of the stock market, the company noted that the Storm's launch with Verizon on November 21st represented the single largest day for new subscriber additions in RIM's history and that it has had trouble keeping up with demand for both the American carrier and recent Canadian introductions.

It's Verizon's best-selling device, RIM also said during the call, though the exact sell-through hasn't been given.

The shipment figures mark a surprising inversion for the BlackBerry creator, which suffered the embarrassment of being outperformed by Apple this summer after just over a year of iPhones competing in the same marketplace as RIM's products. Apple shipped 6.9 million handsets in the first quarter of the iPhone 3G's existence but will now have to almost match its launch figures to reclaim its lead -- a feat considered difficult by analysts warning of possible weaker iPhone sales during the holiday season.

Not all was positive for RIM. Although it expects to fare well in its winter quarter, which lasts December through February, the company says that it added a relatively modest 2.6 million new BlackBerry service subscribers in the fall versus the 2.9 million predicted earlier in the year. The shortfall points to more BlackBerry sales heading to existing users than to new converts; during its financial call, RIM attributed much of this to the Bold where the Storm and other devices were split more evenly between newcomers and veteran users.

Both Apple and RIM have less to fear than Palm, however: the Treo-making pioneer sold through just 599,000 of its smartphones over the same three months tracked by RIM, leading to a 13 percent tumble compared to fall 2007 that will add to the market share of its larger American rivals.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Both Apple and RIMM's sales figures were padded via channel stuffing, so I don't know if you can trust either 6.9 million number, particularly if RIMM refused to offer sell-through numbers, while we know that Apple's sell-through was about 4.9 million.

However, this is good news for Apple stock, as anything RIMM can do Apple can do better, at least lately the iPhone has to be selling better than RIMM's offerings.
  • Reply 2 of 40
    Now what about all the stories of returned and returning Blackberry Storms? They can sell boatloads, but if a third to half come back, they're screwed.
  • Reply 3 of 40
    I'd agree this is very good news for Apple. I've been surprised at how successful RIM has been with their new lineup, but ultimately Storm users are going to be open for a different solution in time-- it just isn't that good from the three minutes I spent with it.

Some of the analysts are thinking Apple will beat 7MM iPhones for Q1. I don't buy it, but... it would make things interesting.
  • Reply 4 of 40
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ricksbrain View Post

Now what about all the stories of returned and returning Blackberry Storms? They can sell boatloads, but if a third to half come back, they're screwed.

People who tried to discount the iPhone cited returns as well, but they're never actually very high. If it were, the internet would be completely inundated with the story.
  • Reply 5 of 40
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ricksbrain View Post

Give me a break with those numbers. Totally nuts.

There were tons of Verizon subscribers who wanted an iPhone but bought this because they couldn't have one. They'll keep them too.
  • Reply 6 of 40
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    RIM puts out good products and their enterprise support is solid. Make next smartphone will be a RIM product as well.

Apple has a ways to go with their enterprise support. Their implementation of ActiveSync is a bandwidth hog on our networks compare with WinMo phones. Two iPhone saturate one ActiveSync server.
  • Reply 7 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

Both Apple and RIMM's sales figures were padded via channel stuffing, so I don't know if you can trust either 6.9 million number, particularly if RIMM refused to offer sell-through numbers, while we know that Apple's sell-through was about 4.9 million.

However, this is good news for Apple stock, as anything RIMM can do Apple can do better, at least lately the iPhone has to be selling better than RIMM's offerings.

Maybe except in this case. Blackberrys fall sales are the same as apples summer sales. Summer is when iphone was released. So if we know the best apple can do with the sales is near the release date then we know apples fall sales will inevitably be less than RIM's. I woupd think this is common sense but I see that some are confused.
  • Reply 8 of 40
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Honestly, does it matter? Will more sales of Blackberries make my iPhone any less useful? No. There's no point in all these dumb market share comparisons. Market share doesn't make a product any better or worse. I would be surprised if Apple ever had more share than RIM; a company that sells several models on several different carriers.
  • Reply 9 of 40
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Honestly, does it matter? Will more sales of Blackberries make my iPhone any less useful? No. There's no point in all these dumb market share comparisons. Market share doesn't make a product any better or worse. I would be surprised if Apple ever had more share than RIM; a company that sells several models on several different carriers.

It matters a lot to stockholders - why even read this thread if you are just a consumer? Its like going into a thread about the next xeon processor and saying "who cares? All processors are about the same for running firefox".
  • Reply 10 of 40
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Well this is natural when world is shifting towards smartphones. The only two choices are Apple and RIM. So people buy what fits them better. RIM is totally different market. Its business, while iPhone has its own huge market. Both companies need to grow but very carefully, not to explode.
  • Reply 11 of 40
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    I was a BB hater log before iphone but the bold mbe me take a real look...I would really consider a bold when iphone 3g contract is up.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    roos24roos24 Posts: 170member
    It all depends on how you look at it. Even if BBs are for business, and iPhones for entertainment, who will continue to buy them when the economy goes down even further? I've heard from people who were let go that they had to return their Blackberry. On the other hand, though the initial price of an iPhone may be acceptable, the monthly cost for using it could become prohibitive for many. At the end of the day though, I believe that the App store will make Apple the winner.

JR
  • Reply 13 of 40
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    The absolute minimum plan you can get from Rogers on an iPhone here in Canada is $102.45/mo.

That gets you 200 minutes, 500mb data. That's it.

Doesn't include voice plan. Doesn't include texting.

Mandatory 3 year contract. Works out to a $3688 contract... add the price of the phone... your looking at $4000 for a phone that your locked into for 3 years.

I would love to have one, but lol...

I was at a Rogers store last weekend and people inquired about the iPhone, the sales staff told them to forget it, and showed them some Samsung piece of crap. They don't even put them on display anymore.

The iPhone is as good as dead in Canada. \
  • Reply 14 of 40
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

The absolute minimum plan you can get from Rogers on an iPhone here in Canada is $102.45/mo.

That gets you 200 minutes, 500mb data. That's it.

Doesn't include voice plan. Doesn't include texting.

Mandatory 3 year contract. Works out to a $3688 contract... add the price of the phone... your looking at $4000 for a phone that your locked into for 3 years.

I would love to have one, but lol...

I was at a Rogers store last weekend and people inquired about the iPhone, the sales staff told them to forget it, and showed them some Samsung piece of crap. They don't even put them on display anymore.

The iPhone is as good as dead in Canada. \

What the heck are you talking about, I have the brochures for the iPhone 3g for fido and rogers in front of me and the plans start at sixty dollars, the iPhone is far from dead here, its probably the hottest phone at least here in Toronto where everyone is rocking one.
  • Reply 15 of 40
    i have an iPhone. i returned countless ones due to poor quality control... I bet Apple didnt include those in the millions of phones sold... so why should blackberry?
  • Reply 16 of 40
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Well said dude I'm sick of all these lame comparisons. If you like iPhone, go for it, if blackberry, go for it. I just don't see the need for these pissing contests.
  • Reply 17 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

Well this is natural when world is shifting towards smartphones. The only two choices are Apple and RIM. So people buy what fits them better. RIM is totally different market. Its business, while iPhone has its own huge market. Both companies need to grow but very carefully, not to explode.

Apple and Rim share half the market; Nokia has the other half. The bigger curiosity is how fast the market is growing.

Both companies have different business strategies and market focuses, but they start to overlap...
  • Reply 18 of 40
    Apple had a huge summer because of pent up demand for the 3g - which for some reason people had decided they had to have.

Given that Apple has only been in the business one year, the fact that they put pressure on BB and forced them to come up with a new device is a big deal.

Also note that Apple does not offer a device for Verizon. They would have more sales if they did.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

It matters a lot to stockholders - why even read this thread if you are just a consumer? Its like going into a thread about the next xeon processor and saying "who cares? All processors are about the same for running firefox".

Maybe to stock holders who don't know what they're doing? This is precisely why the damn stock market is so volatile; too many inexperienced people trying to use the market as a means of making quick cash rather than actually investing in a company they believe in.

If a company is doing well regardless of how or where the industry is, it really shouldn't matter. People who actually invest in a company look at that companies bottom line and their ability to adapt and move forward, the competition should be an after-though. As Apple has demonstrated time and time again, they are more than willing to make drastic changes to stay ahead.

And besides all of that, this is a rumor site for Apple, not an investor's site. If you base your "investing" decisions off this website, you're a fool.
  • Reply 20 of 40
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Thee big losers out of this will be WinMo and Symbian.