Numbers and Excel

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
For all you people out there hooked on Excel. Have you been able to successfully convert to Numbers or are you using both at the same time or did you try Numbers but stay with Excel??

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    jruijrui Posts: 24member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by O-Mac View Post

For all you people out there hooked on Excel. Have you been able to successfully convert to Numbers or are you using both at the same time or did you try Numbers but stay with Excel??

I've successfully convert to iWork Numbers. Easy Clean and Fast.

Missing some things of excel but nothing vital. The simplycity and easy make me forget all that.

I'm not a Basic user.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Still using Excel.

I really haven't given Numbers much of a chance. In tend to exchange spreadsheets with another person who uses Windows so sticking with Excel seems best for now for me.

I will sit down one day and spend some time with it to see how well it works.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    I'm no spreadsheet guru but I haven't really used Numbers yet.

I also know that Numbers is following the same trajectory that all

Apple application travel. The first version will show a lot of nifty

features and how Apple likes to accomplish tasks. It will be light on

the bread and butter features and overall polish.

Version 2 will modify and improveethe areas in Ver 1 that clearly

did not work. It will fill in many of the missing gaps and become

more of a daily program.

So with this in mind I expect to be using Numbers 2 in iWork 09 for

a vast majority of my spreadsheet needs. I expect Numbers to have

the most substantial update and the suite to become far more fluid and

customizable.

Other apps that saw marked improvement in ver 2.

Bento

Aperture

Pages
  • Reply 4 of 12
    I'm a heavy Excel user. The last time I tried numbers I had a hard time "getting it". A lot of the missing functions are things that I really need so Numbers is not viable for me.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    The one feature Numbers needs is the ability to import AppleWorks databases so people do not have to rely on a non-supported application for their database needs.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    If I remember, Numbers seems pretty good. But two features I missed from Excel:

Plotting tools are lacking: it needs more plot types, more options. Now that Excel is that good either, but you need a little more so you don't have to rely on another software all of the time.

No solver: that is Numbers doesn't have goal seek or solver for simple optimization problems.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    If I remember some of the "lookup" functions are missing too.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Numbers all the way.

Didn't even bother installing Office on my new machine at work this year, nor on my MBA. Good riddance. Have now been Office free for almost 8 months and it is very pleasant.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Somethings everyday, are annoying in one program than in the other and vise versa, mostly formating issues. So I have just come to use both regularly.

Doesn't bother me...

Laters..
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by troberts View Post

The one feature Numbers needs is the ability to import AppleWorks databases so people do not have to rely on a non-supported application for their database needs.

The number one feature would be for Numbers to have interfaces to work within SQLite, PostgreSQL and MySQL by using those backends for feeds and Numbers to do the crunching, then default to something like R, Octave, MatLab, Maxima for hardcore crunching.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tauron View Post

No solver: that is Numbers doesn't have goal seek or solver for simple optimization problems.

For those that are missing Solver functionality in Numbers, I've added a basic Goal Seek function to Risk Engine. It is not limited in any way in the demo version of Risk Engine, I just needed to address something that a few people have found missing from Numbers. There are a few rough edges in the current version but I'll hopefully sort those out fairly quickly over the next week or so. Please let me know if it works for you, or you'd like me to make some changes.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Numbers is the weak link in iWork, IMHO. Something really basic like setting a specific print area can't be handled by Numbers. I keep trying to use it but keep finding Excel better. Granted, having 20+ years of Excel experience I'm sure skews my thinking. However, I keep trying to actually like and use Numbers but keep getting frustrated, too.