Apple details fix for hanging Software Update installs

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't CentOS an RPM distro?

I don't remember being required to do any reboot when I installed Firefox 3 on Ubuntu.

RPM long promised to solve Windows' DLL hell but never quite delivers. Library dependency is still a PITA.

Problem is that Firefox 3 requires pango-cairo library, where as Firefox 2 did not require it. CentOS 4, originally shipped w/ FF2, does not ship pango with cairo backend. You need to recompile pango library w/ cairo or install an RPM equivalent. That's what I remembered.

CentOS, being an enterprise-level distro, doesn't want to break compability without jumping a major release. So an official build of FF3 for CentOS4 is probably not gonna happen.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdlink View Post

I've installed 10.5.6 on two computers, one a MacBook Pro and one a PowerBook. The MacBook Pro works perfectly, but with the PowerBook I can no longer use the aluminum keyboard I had plugged into it. The keyboard still works if I plug it into the MBP and an older keyboard still works with the PB. It's just the PB and aluminum keyboard combination that doesn't work.

It's interesting you mention that. It seems that Apple has done "something" to the USB frameworks in this patch. Some people have reported improved USB performance and others have reported the inability to use DFU mode on the iPhone unless you put a USB hub in between.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    I had a far worse problem with this update. Never had a problem with any other update before, but thank goodness for firewire on this one.

I downloaded and installed the update. Then, went to restart and it hung for over 45 mins at the Logo screen (with spinning circle). Considering it only took the G5, I did early in the day, about 5 mins, I figured something was wrong. I tried the install cd (repair disk, scan hardware) NOTHING. Last resort, target firewire, backed up my files and reinstalled the entire system. Must say it runs great now AND I still have all my files thanks to firewire. Of coarse I could have taken the HD out of the mbook, but that's a lot of work.

How would I have accomplished this w/o fw??
  • Reply 24 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by m2002brian View Post

I had a far worse problem with this update. Never had a problem with any other update before, but thank goodness for firewire on this one.

I downloaded and installed the update. Then, went to restart and it hung for over 45 mins at the Logo screen (with spinning circle). Considering it only took the G5, I did early in the day, about 5 mins, I figured something was wrong. I tried the install cd (repair disk, scan hardware) NOTHING. Last resort, target firewire, backed up my files and reinstalled the entire system. Must say it runs great now AND I still have all my files thanks to firewire. Of coarse I could have taken the HD out of the mbook, but that's a lot of work.

How would I have accomplished this w/o fw??

Your MacBook can boot from a USB hard drive.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Your MacBook can boot from a USB hard drive.

My files were not on a USB HD (just saying), I could not install another OS (10.4.6) onto my FW dirve (even though I can boot from one, says the manual) I never tried using it as a usb drive because, well, because it has fw, why downgrade.

But that is a somewhat reasonable way to do it. Of coarse if you have two macs with FW wouldn't it just be faster, and more simple to use Target FW Mode.

How do I install a 2nd OS on a FW drive?
  • Reply 26 of 28
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by m2002brian View Post

How do I install a 2nd OS on a FW drive?

You could use your installation discs to install OS X on an external drive. An alternative is to use Carbon Copy Cloner to get your current OS onto an external drive.

This is what I do when a major update comes out:

1.) Clone my current installation to a firewire HD

2.) Perform the update

3.) Make sure everything's working ok

If I come across a problem I can't fix, I can simply boot off my firewire drive and restore my old installation back to the built-in drive with carbon copy cloner.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    I'm just glad to hear that I'm not the only one who has had this problem.

It has been a real PTA for me, even after I finally managed to get 10.5.6 working. I am running an old 1.3ghz iBook though. Can't afford to upgrade.... sigh....
  • Reply 28 of 28
    Just download and install combo update