Dell rumored to give MacBook Air a run for its money

Comments

• Reply 21 of 172
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

My point: thinness isn't everything, no matter the excuses.

Thinness never was. Power and footprint size are and that is where the MacBook Air FAILS.
  • Reply 22 of 172
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ltcommander.data View Post

I wonder if Apple's going to release a design refresh around that time? The MBA's design isn't old, but it could probably use a small refresh to bring it in line with the Unibody MBP and MB. Mainly the glass screen and black trim. Could probably release the MBA refresh at the same time as the Unibody 17" MBP is released to bring the entire notebook product line in sync.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mklos View Post

Ummm...they already did that in October. The MacBook Air now has the NVIDIA chipset using DDR3 RAM and the NVIDIA graphics just like the MacBook and MBP and Apple added in a 2nd model that has an SSD hard drive standard. So the MacBook Air is up to par with the aluminum unibody MacBook and new unibody 15" MacBook Pro. That being said, I doubt you'll see any changes/updates to the MacBook Air until at least spring.

He was clearly talking about the design. It did not get the glass screen or black border and so looks out of place compared to the 13" MacBook and 15" MacBook Pro. It did not get the new buttonless trackpad either. There are also rumors it will get a carbon fiber bottom to make it a bit lighter.
  • Reply 23 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crtaylor View Post

OH PUUH-LLEEEEASE! Dell computers are practically overated pieces of crap! Apple will beat them second to none!

Oh, get over it. Although they are certainly no Apple, Dell has improved greatly recently. Historically, they were always associated with their budget/mainstream laptops (Inspirons) which have always been big, ugly, and cheap looking, but their new "Studio" line of mainstream laptops are definitely more attractive than those.

But the best move Dell made in a long time was expanding their premium "XPS" models beyond their origination in laptop gaming. The non-gamer XPS models are attractive, built well, and have premium features like high resolution 1920x1200 displays on 15" models, 128GB SSDs, Expresscard slots and Firewire 400 on every model, Slot-load DVD-RW and cheap Bluray burners, DVI/HDMI out, and up to 8GB of ram, etc. And there is a 13" XPS model, so these are not all giant desktop replacement type notebooks --- though obviously they are not as sleek and thin as the new Macbook/MB Pro.

I'm not trying to sound like a Dell spokesman, but I've been researching laptops and feel that there needs to be a modicum of objectivity and balance here with all the fanboys. Obviously, besides the superior industrial design, With an Apple laptop you are getting OSX, and with a Dell you are getting XP or Vista. For many, that is the deal killer right there. Yes I know about the OSX86 project, but who wants to hassle with patching the OS install, dealing with missing drivers, OS updating issues, etc.
  • Reply 24 of 172
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Thinness never was. Power and footprint size are and that is where the MacBook Air FAILS.

And weight, which is the most important in that category. AFAIK, MBA had the fastest processor in the ultralight category. As far as footprint goes I really don't think anything smaller than 13" with less that full keyboard can be practical and comfortable to use. Footprint is important for netbooks and clealy Apple did not release anything in that category yet.
  • Reply 25 of 172
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ltcommander.data View Post

I wonder if Apple's going to release a design refresh around that time? The MBA's design isn't old, but it could probably use a small refresh to bring it in line with the Unibody MBP and MB. Mainly the glass screen and black trim. Could probably release the MBA refresh at the same time as the Unibody 17" MBP is released to bring the entire notebook product line in sync.

I predict it will launch just in time for Apple's next version of MBA, the Macbook Helium
  • Reply 26 of 172
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Roughly a year after Apple's MacBook Air made its first appearance, Dell is purportedly on the verge of claiming the thinnest-ever notebook crown for itself.

But wait.... so many people on these boards say the Air was a flop! Why would anyone be gunning for IT?!?
  • Reply 27 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

So, how's SnapTell working for you on your iPod touch? Phone calls, text and internet outside of a open free WiFi network?

I suppose it depends on how big your wallet is. I suppose if money grew on trees the iPhone would be ok. But since it doesn't, no phone calls, text and internet outside of an open free WiFi network, a faster CPU, and better battery life is awesome, thanks for asking.
  • Reply 28 of 172
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:

Hmm.. Let's determine that with MY MBA....

Power:

Running VMWare/XP?? Faster than my previous Sony Vaio - YES

Every-day Internet/Email - YES

Plays iTunes music and video streams - YES

Plays Crysis at 150fps?? NO - because that is not what the MBA is about.

Footprint Size:

Smaller on the X/Y than my previous 13" Sony?? - YES

Smaller on the Z than my previous 13" Sony??? YES

Lighter (don't forget faster) than my previous 13" Sony? YES

More durable than my previous 13" Sony - YES

I love the MagSafe connector. I've yanked,tripped on it countless of times already and love the fact it pops right off. Should be standard on all laptops regardless of manufacturer. I've always tweaked the power ports on my previous laptops when plugged in. This alone is a good reason to buy.

My MBA is far superior to any laptop I've owned before. You seem to have a different set of criteria which determines the MBA as a failure. Based on my personal and every-day use of my MBA, I give it a 9 out of 10 as an ultralight mobile non-desktop-replacement computer. The metal chassis makes it built like a tank and I love holding it with one hand on the corner knowing I won't tweak the chassis like the cheapo plastic chassis most laptops are made from.

Is it perfect? No. Anyone that rates anything "perfect" has issues.

Do I miss the extra USB ports? I missed them for about a day and that was it.

Do I miss the lack of internal SuperDrive? No. I never use one on a laptop. The external got used a couple times to install WindowsXP and a couple programs and that was it.

Do I miss the replaceable battery? No. I never replaced the batteries on my old laptops either.

Do I miss the integrated ethernet? For a few days only. Wireless is everywhere for me and I usually end up breaking the ethernet port over time due to the cable being yanked in all directions. One less port failure. In my opinion, cables don't belong on laptops. I use the USB ethernet when absolutely necessary and this is very rare.

My colleagues and friends that also own MBA's have nothing but high-praise for them too. How can that be based on your direct statement???

So, either we're all wrong and delusional or you can say for certain after using YOUR MBA as often as we do, it fails horribly as an ultralight mobile non-desktop-replacement unit? How long have you owned yours to make such a direct statement? Our MBA's have been a pleasure to use.

I'm going out on a limb, but is it possible that maybe, just maybe the MBA was not built for you but for us?? Could it be? Oh the sadness!! Villagers revolt!!
  • Reply 29 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

You can bet it'll have ethernet, multiple usb ports, removable battery, and maybe even Firewire...just to show up Apple. Unfortunately, it'll also have Windows XP.

Well, if your only other option on a Dell is Windows Vista, I'd say Windows XP is a plus!
  • Reply 30 of 172
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davesmall View Post

Oh My. Just visualize a piece of crap laptop wrapped in leather and running a piece of crap operating system (Windows Vista).

Apple must really be worried

A... craptop?
  • Reply 31 of 172
    It's one thing to come up with beautiful hardware, but the Dell won't be running Snow Leopard, so...
  • Reply 32 of 172
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Aggg Delll..Hell....who cares?
  • Reply 33 of 172
    It doesnt matter though, I cant wait to see how this product will look cause Dell current XPS and XPS Studio line design, doesnt look its capable to be thin enough to be thinner then the MBA. Lets see Dell new design and I wonder how long it will last.

Dell notebooks are known not to last very long and will look horrible after 4-5 years with everyday usage that is.
  • Reply 34 of 172
    Dell? Haha...

They're like the comic relief of the PC industry.

Even if they do make something slimmer, it is going to be a piece of crap.

And it'll probably be ugly.

And it will be a Dell.
  • Reply 35 of 172
    Quote:

OH PUUH-LLEEEEASE! Dell computers are practically overated pieces of crap! Apple will beat them second to none!

Really? Everyone goes on and on about how great Dells are? Have you been on the internet for more than three minutes?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wheelhot View Post

Somehow as much as I dun want to be labelled as Apple fanboy, what Dell wants is something that dont mix well. When creating a thin notebook, the most important factor is quality and durability. So far Dell notebooks never meet these 2 specs and to make it worst, quality and durability usually is more expensive. Dell dont make expensive notebook (well they do make, just that it doesnt show the durability and quality expensive notebook should have), in fact if they were to sell their notebook at Apple price, heck, people will just get Apple or even Sony Vaio which is considered as the Apple of Windows Notebook.

Dell does sell notebooks at a higher price than Apple does, so I'm slightly confused. I've also had more durability issues from my less than one year old MB then my 7 year old Inspirion 8100. Sony in my opinion is worse then Dell and Apple for durability, but Apple doesn't exactly make the most durable machines either.
  • Reply 36 of 172
    Quote:

sure you haven't got that the wrong way round...?
  • Reply 37 of 172
    It seems that unless a product is running OSX, it is dismissed outright in these parts. And you get some crazy comments whereby the competition should pack their bags and go home because they are never going to win. But did you ever stop to consider that it's the company you're praising and defending that's causing all of these problems by refusing to allow it's OS to run on anything other than Apple hardware? The problem isn't 'haha crappy Dell and their crappy laptops' it's 'haha crappy Apple and refusing to let me install OSX on my Dell laptop'. The quicker some of you realise that the quicker we might actually see OSX as a standalone OS for a whole range of non-Apple hardware.
  • Reply 38 of 172
    Quote:

Still beating on the Air, I see.

Don't own one, do you?

Had some other comments but sflocal pretty much summed it up.

The MBA was made for a specific user; that person owns it, puts it to good use and is very satisfied.
  • Reply 39 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

Oh, get over it. Although they are certainly no Apple, Dell has improved greatly recently. Historically, they were always associated with their budget/mainstream laptops (Inspirons) which have always been big, ugly, and cheap looking, but their new "Studio" line of mainstream laptops are definitely more attractive than those.

I'm not trying to sound like a Dell spokesman, but I've been researching laptops and feel that there needs to be a modicum of objectivity and balance here with all the fanboys. Obviously, besides the superior industrial design, With an Apple laptop you are getting OSX, and with a Dell you are getting XP or Vista. For many, that is the deal killer right there. Yes I know about the OSX86 project, but who wants to hassle with patching the OS install, dealing with missing drivers, OS updating issues, etc.

Thank you! Thank you! Balance people. I'm still an XP user (been stable, without problems for three years, but own an iPhone) and my friends have all bought new Macbooks. I'm still not convinced that OS X is the best. I will concede that the new models are pretty nice, but an all aluminum body with a glass screen doesn't necessarily mean it's better or nicer. I rather think the new Dell looks nice. And, honestly, more competition, regardless of what it is, is a good thing. If either of the companies makes a slightly better model than the other, then the other plays catch up and passes it. That's a good thing. If Dell makes something nice here (and it comes out before the new Air) then it means Apple will make something even nicer.
  • Reply 40 of 172
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

It seems that unless a product is running OSX, it is dismissed outright in these parts. And you get some crazy comments whereby the competition should pack their bags and go home because they are never going to win. But did you ever stop to consider that it's the company you're praising and defending that's causing all of these problems by refusing to allow it's OS to run on anything other than Apple hardware? The problem isn't 'haha crappy Dell and their crappy laptops' it's 'haha crappy Apple and refusing to let me install OSX on my Dell laptop'. The quicker some of you realise that the quicker we might actually see OSX as a standalone OS for a whole range of non-Apple hardware.

I don't think this particular issue is about Windows/OSX. I think it's more about the physical machines themselves.

OSX being proprietary is best left for another day and thread.

Even if I were to completely erase OSX from my MBA and install XP/Vista (Yecch!) my MBA would still be (IMHO) the top-tier superior machine from a build-quality and all-around useful piece of hardware. This is of course that one realizes the MBA and all ultralights for the market it is intended. Some people on this forum still thinks super-ultralights should contain the same performance specs as machines weighing 2-3+ its physical weight.

Nonetheless, I run XP using VMware on my MBA and the performance of the XP virtual machine is faster than my prior dedicated Sony Vaio. My XP VM is used for all my corporate domain work and gets more use than the OSX-side which I use for everything else like browsing, email, etc.