iLife 09?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
So if we can't expect a proper Stevenote at Macworld, and the Shillernote will consist of Snow Leopard info... when should we expect an iLife update? I was really hoping for some new features (iWeb Mobile for the iPhone for instance <-- purely a wish, I have no info in regards to this and am not trying to start a rumour)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Your guess is as good as ours Who knows, it might be till WWDC like last time, perhaps iLife has gotten biAnnual.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDunno View Post

So if we can't expect a proper Stevenote at Macworld, and the Shillernote will consist of Snow Leopard info... when should we expect an iLife update? I was really hoping for some new features (iWeb Mobile for the iPhone for instance <-- purely a wish, I have no info in regards to this and am not trying to start a rumour)

Hell 16 months since the last announcement Apple better damn well have a new iLife and iWork to keep me happy. I've skipped iLife 08 and so I'm rarin' to go on 09.

iMovie 09 I think you're going to see it finally bury the desire for iMovie 6. Chapter markets will be back for iDVD. Surround sound will be supported and much better effects and audio handling. I'm ready to start tinkering.

iPhoto 09- Please please please ..save only the recipe. I'm tired of image scanning programs pulling up a bajillion versions of my photos because of duplication. I think iPhoto needs to be Apeture lite and simply save the changes in a format that doesn't get picked up by Spotlight as a new photo.

Garageband 09- I think Apple's going to continue to make GB a nice podcasting tool. I expect slight advancement on the editing but not a whole lot of changes.

iWeb 09- Apple's got room for a lot of improvement here. I want to see more flexibility in layout. More MobileMe and Google integration and some nifty shit with javascript and HTML5. Add easy greasy image rollovers and support for template creation.

iDVD 09-- Not much here. Spiff up the templates. Ensure that export options work in sync with the Apple TV and make sure it supports surround sound.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Hell 16 months since the last announcement Apple better damn well have a new iLife and iWork to keep me happy. I've skipped iLife 08 and so I'm rarin' to go on 09.

iMovie 09 I think you're going to see it finally bury the desire for iMovie 6. Chapter markets will be back for iDVD. Surround sound will be supported and much better effects and audio handling. I'm ready to start tinkering.

iPhoto 09- Please please please ..save only the recipe. I'm tired of image scanning programs pulling up a bajillion versions of my photos because of duplication. I think iPhoto needs to be Apeture lite and simply save the changes in a format that doesn't get picked up by Spotlight as a new photo.

Garageband 09- I think Apple's going to continue to make GB a nice podcasting tool. I expect slight advancement on the editing but not a whole lot of changes.

iWeb 09- Apple's got room for a lot of improvement here. I want to see more flexibility in layout. More MobileMe and Google integration and some nifty shit with javascript and HTML5. Add easy greasy image rollovers and support for template creation.

iDVD 09-- Not much here. Spiff up the templates. Ensure that export options work in sync with the Apple TV and make sure it supports surround sound.

I was serious about an iWeb Mini or Mobile.

We now have the iPhone and it would be great to be able to send images and text directly to my MobileMe iWeb blog, would be ideal while travelling and just blogging everyday in general. That is the only feature that would be a killer for me.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict the addition of iSpy.

Home security comes to the iMac, Mini and Mac Pro.

Wired or wireless cameras accessible from a smart Mac interface.

Links to MobileMe for incident backup and immediate iPhone notifications.

They have to juice up the desktop machine sales somehow.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Hey...Apple did have a demo showing Axis cameras connecting very easily via

Rendezvous...er Bonjour.

I wouldn't mind seeing iWeb have some mobile features either.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    I'm with hmurchison, if iPhoto doesn't shed its old way of handling photo manipulations, I'll scream.

iPhoto libraries are twice larger than they should be because iPhoto stores the original and duplicates it to apply changes to the photo. Sure, everyone with a Mac with an integrated GPU or a GPU from the stone ages will scream bloody murder and complain that iPhoto '09 is slower than iPhoto '08, but I'm completely ready to listen to them complain.

iMovie and iWeb, however, have the most potential for improvement.

GarageBand and iDVD should remain pretty much the same but with added instruments, loops, themes, etc. Apple should keep these two apps the way they are and not create a bloat monster.

A new app could be cool. I like the iSpy idea but it's highly unlikely to happen.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    iWeb mobile would be cool.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Last time Jobs kinda poo-pooed iDVD. I'm thinking iDVD may simply vanish from the iLife suite. Perhaps some new app will take it's place.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

GarageBand and iDVD should remain pretty much the same but with added instruments, loops, themes, etc. Apple should keep these two apps the way they are and not create a bloat monster.

Agree. GarageBand is awesome. The only thing I want from it is multi-track recording (it will record 2 max at the moment, IIRC).

They probably won't do that, to drive sales of Logic. But that would make a great app perfect in my eyes.

Amorya
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cygnusrk727 View Post

Last time Jobs kinda poo-pooed iDVD. I'm thinking iDVD may simply vanish from the iLife suite. Perhaps some new app will take it's place.

Yes it was interesting that iDVD got virtually no coverage but in fact it had some nice new templates and updates that were deserving of mention.

But even Macworld noticed the antipathy from Jobs.

http://www.macworld.com/article/5960...08/idvd08.html

Quote:

While the biggest surprise in iLife ’08 is the completely new iMovie, a close second in my eyes is Apple’s waning interest in DVDs. At the press event where Apple CEO Steve Jobs introduced the new suite, iDVD ’08 came across as an afterthought.

The Pro Encoding feature in iDVD 08 is nice but I'm personally not interested in 3-4 hr encoding jobs. When Apple gets it's shite together and delivers a network storage device that isn't an Time Capsule we'll be ready to publish to the device quickly and then stream that content to an iPhone or an Apple TV.

Hell a drop box 2GB account is free and cross platform if you want to send large files to people. Other than Blu-ray I see optical technology as being too pokey to have much benefit and really as a backup medium Blu-ray is pokey too.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorya View Post

Agree. GarageBand is awesome. The only thing I want from it is multi-track recording (it will record 2 max at the moment, IIRC).

They probably won't do that, to drive sales of Logic. But that would make a great app perfect in my eyes.

Amorya

Come on let us do at least 4 tracks so that we have the capability of a freakin' Portastudio circa 1991.

If they want GB to be a podcasters tools they need to offer more than 2 tracks.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Come on let us do at least 4 tracks so that we have the capability of a freakin' Portastudio circa 1991.

If they want GB to be a podcasters tools they need to offer more than 2 tracks.[/QUOTE]

GarageBand can record up to 8 audio tracks simultaneously plus one software instrument. This does require an audio interface that supports more than two inputs like this one which supports 8 http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...rackUltra.html ...otherwise you are limited to the stereo (2-track) input found on most Macs.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Garageband needs a drum machine.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Quote:

Actually, why stop there? How bout a whole home automation app that is Apple easy to use and set up. Maybe call it iHome or iCastle.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Quote:

Actually, why stop there? How bout a whole home automation app that is Apple easy to use and set up. Maybe call it iHome or iCastle.

It would be nice but there are so many standards in home automation it's harming the industry.

X-10

Insteon

Zigbee

Z-Wave

Plus Home Automation needs a killer feature. I tend to laugh when I read quotes about just implementing audio to every room costing $1000 a node. When it costs twice as much as a decent mini stereo to outfit a room with audio you have problems.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

It would be nice but there are so many standards in home automation it's harming the industry.

X-10

Insteon

Zigbee

Z-Wave

Agreed that the market is clouded. But that's where Apple comes in. Apple has the power to drive a standard ie...USB (which Intel invented.) I don't know enough to start talking about all those standards listed, but surely Apple would decide on one or two and then make a program that the average consumer would want to use.

Apple has already invested in an iPhone app using Z-Wave. So add that functionality to iLife IMO. http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/2008/05/...or-the-iphone/
  • Reply 16 of 22
    The huge glaring omission in iMovie is no plug-in support. So I'm willing to bet

money that iMovie 09 gets plug-in support.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    iWeb - gets projects support so we do not have to copy/move/rename the Domain.sites file.

iPhoto - gets a backup feature so we can select the rolls/events/photos that we want to back up and also choose where they are to be saved. The meta data and original photos are included.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

That would be nice. I had high hopes that both Gates and Jobs were building new homes to debug this concept, but it turned out they were both just blowing their millions on luxury.

If Apple went this route, they would think things through to completion and come up with a design that allows a home computer to:

1. monitor energy usage

2. route telephony, music and video to every room

3. manage security, heating and cooling, and lighting systems

4. manage smart appliances

I don't think we're there yet. Maybe in five to ten years.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Quote:

If Apple went this route, they would think things through to completion and come up with a design that allows a home computer to:

1. monitor energy usage

2. route telephony, music and video to every room

3. manage security, heating and cooling, and lighting systems

4. manage smart appliances

I don't think we're there yet. Maybe in five to ten years.

Those all sound great though I would suggest that Apple would not have to have such perfection in order to get a 1.0 product out the door. The point with Home Automation IMO is the hardware Apple could sell would be endless. Then Apple could sell Smart Appliances of any sort. They could control the software and hardware and make home automation truly a pleasant and workable experience as they have done with computers.

Anyway, hopefully more like two years away.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Problem with home automation is that the computer must be on at all time, and if the computer crashes when you're away...

1. Your security system is disabled.

2. Your heating/cooling system is stuck at whatever temperature it was set at before the crash...if that means 'off' in the winter, you may come back home to a water-damaged house, or a very expensive gas or electricity bill.

3. You come home to an uncooked meal...or one that is overcooked...or a burnt down house.

Quote:

1. monitor energy usage √

2. route telephony, music and video to every room √

3. manage security, heating and cooling, and lighting systems X

4. manage smart appliances X