Impossible To Buy For

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
I've just completed my Christmas shopping for my family, and I just wanted to take a moment here to say that MY FATHER IS IMPOSSIBLE TO BUY FOR.

Who's impossible to buy for in your family?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    So is my father. That's why my brother and I have stopped buying for him.

Other than my dad, everyone else in my family is a breeze.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Mom. She started receiving gift certificates to the Mall many years ago
  • Reply 3 of 19
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    I should note that I finally settled on getting my father a Jack Sack.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

A Man Bag! A Murse! Sweet!

J/K Probly different in the UK
  • Reply 5 of 19
    My wife calls my bag my man purse. I do, too.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    floorjackfloorjack Posts: 2,726member
    This is who the bottle of booze/wine and/or fruitcake of the month is for.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    mav5mav5 Posts: 36member
    My dad as well. He already has everything he needs. I always end up getting him an iTunes gift card or some random Star Trek-themed knick-knack.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    cubs23cubs23 Posts: 324member
    father as well. I need ideas, and asap! need to order something and get it by the 24th. Under $60 if possible. I can get other people to chip in if need be. Suggestions?
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cubs23 View Post

father as well. I need ideas, and asap! need to order something and get it by the 24th. Under $60 if possible. I can get other people to chip in if need be. Suggestions?

Man purse.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Quote:

Man purse.

I thought it might be decent, since he does carry a bunch of random stuff in a bag...haha; but my sister laughed at it, and I dunno if he would use it really.

Are there any tripods with a quick release, pan/tilt swivel head, that also has a bubble leveler, but not $700 /?? He has a Nikon D-80, and the tripod he has now is not sturdy enough.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    I was wandering though REI yesterday. It's colder than hell here now so REI is a good place to look for gifts. My kids got goggles for snow days.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    I ended up getting him a bubble-level for the hotshoe on his Nikon DSLR. It's a 3-way leveler, so it will work well to get the tripod straight for landscape shots, etc. $20; He thought it was pretty cool. Just in case anyone needed something different to get anyone, it's a cool little item.

for example; one like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-337-.../dp/B00009R6J7
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Great gift. It looks like a two way level to me. It also assumes that the hot shoe is level with the image plane. Don't get me started on "level".
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

Great gift. It looks like a two way level to me. It also assumes that the hot shoe is level with the image plane. Don't get me started on "level".

Oh yea; sorry, I didn't link to the particular item I bought...the one at the link is a two way. ... And yes...just realized though that you are right about the image plane being "level". Well hopefully the eye in coorination with the machine will get a good result. I'll let ya know how it works!
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Just ignore me. I work with a guy that asks if I "QAed the ruler" I'm using. Anything short of NIST calibration is suspect in my world.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

Just ignore me. I work with a guy that asks if I "QAed the ruler" I'm using. Anything short of NIST calibration is suspect in my world.

Now I'm just curious; QAed = quality assuranced? If so that's hilarious! Likewise what is NIST/what do you do if you don't mind me asking?

Cheers
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cubs23 View Post

Now I'm just curious; QAed = quality assuranced? If so that's hilarious! Likewise what is NIST/what do you do if you don't mind me asking?

Cheers

NIST is the National Institute for Standards and Technology. They set rules and measures and associated calibration/tracking standards. For certain fields of science this is exceedingly important and labs pay a hefty NIST calibration premium.

NIST also has a research wing that advances technologies in what used to be purely non-medical fields...
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Quote:

How did it go over? I bought my old man a crossbow for shootin' varmint in his garden. Silent, like Rambo, so the neighbors don't complain.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Well, he used it the very next day, which I suppose is good.

A crossbow, huh? I would imagine that those are pretty quiet so long as it's a clean kill. Otherwise it could be very loud. For a while.