AT&T now offering home activation for iPhones sold online

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Are you sure? I tried my wife Prepaid AT&T SIM card on my 3G iPhone and didn't work! are you sure it was 3G iPhone? you sure you did not use turbSIM or unlocking tool? I tried many SIM cards with my 3G iPhone and non worked. This is why they called it locked. The phone only works with one SIM card.

Perhaps it was because your SIM was prepaid?

Mine has a regular AT&T voice-only service plan attached, and I swapped it into a white 3G iPhone. Nothing was touched with *any* unlock or jail-break software. I called out to a different cell phone and caller-ID correctly displayed my number, and a call to my number rang on the iPhone.

I unfortunately could not experiment further, but that test confirmed what I have read elsewhere about 3G iPhones working with other AT&T SIMs, even without an associated data plan. (I didn't test this, but my understanding is that Visual Voicemail drops back to the standard voice-prompts when accessing messages.)
  • Reply 22 of 38
    Sales must be slower than everyone thinks. This is not the move of a company that can not keep an item in stock.

I think they are getting a lot more competition on the phone side than they are on the iPod side. The HTC Touch Pro looks very cool.

Things like no cut & paste really make no sense to me.

-Matt
  • Reply 23 of 38
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matthawaii View Post

Sales must be slower than everyone thinks. This is not the move of a company that can not keep an item in stock.

I think they are getting a lot more competition on the phone side than they are on the iPod side. The HTC Touch Pro looks very cool.

-Matt

I don't think so. Maybe it is more like AT&T stores are not selling as much iPhones as Apple Stores. This is not unusual since AT&T sells every other phone (including RIM phones) the same way and they already said that they will. I think it is more like they now have caught up with demand and can sell online. Sure, they are not selling as much iPhones today as they did 3 months ago when they first launched the iPhone. This is normal.
  • Reply 24 of 38
    Great that AT&T is allowing you to purchase iPhones online and have them shipped to you... Only if they actually had them in Stock! Just went through the entire process online only to find out they are out of stock. Anyone have success today?
  • Reply 25 of 38
    Quote:

-Matt

Speaking of Copy/Paste

http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/tom-keat...the-iphone.asp
  • Reply 26 of 38
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:

-Matt

make sure you try the htc touch before you buy. i have a friend who bought one and tried very hard to like it for two months. he's back to thinking about buying out his contract just to get rid of it. your milage my vary...
  • Reply 27 of 38
    Quote:

-Matt

The lack of cut-and-paste is driving me up the wall. And, I've owned the iPhone since Day 1.

C'mon Apple, cut out this bu11$41t and get on with it. This should be so stupidly simple to do. At this point, I can only assume that Jobs is playing a nutty game of chicken.....
  • Reply 28 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

The lack of cut-and-paste is driving me up the wall. And, I've owned the iPhone since Day 1.

C'mon Apple, cut out this bu11$41t and get on with it. This should be so stupidly simple to do. At this point, I can only assume that Jobs is playing a nutty game of chicken.....

It's interesting, because I've never had any occasion to want copy/cut/paste on my phone, and I can't think of any time that I would. But maybe that's because I rarely send e-mails longer than a couple of lines from my phone. Is it in Mail that people find the feature so necessary? I hear about it all the time, and it's just never struck me personally as a glaring omission (though obviously it is for quite a few of you).

The one that baffles me is the lack of MMS (specifically, picture messaging). Even though I rarely have a need to send/receive picture messages, I can't think of a single other phone on the market that has a camera but doesn't support picture messaging. ALL of my friends' phones do, and quite often someone will send me a picture message while I'm out, which I then can't open, and I have to explain that my iPhone doesn't support that sort of thing. Then they laugh for a very long time.
  • Reply 29 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

So from what I can tell, this still isn't like the first generation iPhone, correct? I mean, I still can't go into an Apple store, buy an iPhone, then take it home and activate it there myself?

That's what I was hoping for.

not going to happen. ATT signed up for this deal to get the subscribers. the old way of selling the phone meant it was too dang easy for someone to skip ATT altogether, unlock the phone etc.

now at least, ATT gets the first months service, activation fee and the $175 out of unlockers so they can cut the contract and keep the phone. not perfect but better than the goose egg they got before.

and I don't see Apple having this current option because of the trouble with linking into the ATT activation system to set up the phone to then ship out. cause ATT is not going to let them ship blank phones.
  • Reply 30 of 38
    Quote:

I don't want to commit to a contract. If I buy it directly from AT&T/Apple, I will have to sign up for a two-year contract as far as I know. I've told myself that I won't be strangled by contracts anymore.

I would LIKE to buy a 32GB iPhone 3G (if they release it in January), but buy it from eBay for less than retail with no strings attached

yeah, right.

first it would likely unlocked cause that's how they make the big money. and I'd love to see the guy at ATT when you walk in with an unlocked phone wanting to get service. you better believe he's going to tell you no contract, no way. that is if he can even get the phone to work without accidentally bricking it.

second, you are not going to find a phone on ebay for less than the unsubsidized price which would be $399,499 or (if a 32GB phone actually happens) $599 because to keep the phone the original person had to cancel the contract and pay the ETF. that person will demand all money spent back.

third, I believe even the first round phones required a contract. all that talk of a $900 no contract phone is just that, talk.
  • Reply 31 of 38
    Quote:

1) Umm, it says on AT&T's website: "In the future, AT&T may offer a no-commitment option of $599 for 8GB and $699 for 16GB."

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...phone-info.jsp

you are missing the key phrases "In the future" which could mean 10 years from now when ATT doesn't have an exclusive contract anymore anyway

and "may" which means they may not.

but rest assured, this is not something that may happen in a good year or two at least.
  • Reply 32 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

That's how I got my iPhone from Rogers in July.

different country, different rules.

I believe it is in France that it is illegal to have a phone locked to a network so all the iPhones sold there have to ship unlocked. But even if you live in France and are taking the phone back to France, if you buy it in the US, you must activate it with ATT etc.
  • Reply 33 of 38
    Quote:

Even so, you can discontinue your contract for $175 (goes down $5 a month after the first year if I am not mistaken)

nope. the law is that it has to go down every month after the first month.

ATT even gives you 30 days to try the phone and return it with no ETF. but if you wait until day 31 or want to keep the phone you pay the ETF
  • Reply 34 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

I seem to be having trouble finding that reference*. However, there is this:

"Can I activate iPhone 3G on GoPhone Prepaid service?

No. GoPhone Prepaid is not available for iPhone 3G at this time."

(emphasis added)

Hmmm.

'at this time' is not a guarantee it will happen or happen soon.
  • Reply 35 of 38
    Quote:

Are you sure? I tried my wife Prepaid AT&T SIM card on my 3G iPhone and didn't work!

Prepaid Sim cards are listed in a different part of the network. I know this cause I know someone that tried to go to an Apple store and upgrade his account from pre-paid to contract to get the iphone. he couldn't do it there cause of the different listing. he had to go to an ATT store to have them cut his old plan, then manually retrieve and assign his number.
  • Reply 36 of 38
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

different country, different rules.

I believe it is in France that it is illegal to have a phone locked to a network so all the iPhones sold there have to ship unlocked. But even if you live in France and are taking the phone back to France, if you buy it in the US, you must activate it with ATT etc.

French iphones are sold simlocked --- but they have legislations that gives the consumer the right to obtain unlocking codes for free after certain period of time.

However, it is useless because these same countries don't have ETF rules --- so you are stuck to the 2 year contract no matter what happens.
  • Reply 37 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

BTW, you can only buy one iPhone on the web per household. The iPhone is such an incredible and advanced device, if you want two or more on a family plan, you must physically get in your car, drive over to a store, and stand in line.

What a remarkable phone!
  • Reply 38 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

third, I believe even the first round phones required a contract. all that talk of a $900 no contract phone is just that, talk.

Nope... the original iphone was available without contract (I already had att service)... but the phone cost $600 if i recall correctly.