Next-gen iMacs due in January, says paper

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
A new-generation of NVIDIA-based iMacs are due to begin shipping out of China sometime next month, according to a new report out of the Far East.

Citing sources within Apple's supply chain, the Chinese-language Economic Daily News reported Tuesday that the Mac maker is scheduled to "launch a new iMac all-in-one PC in the first quarter of next year, and the company's sole manufacturing partner, Quanta Computer, is gearing up to supply monthly shipments of around 800,000 units during the first quarter of 2009."

The paper added that the new models will begin making their way stateside in January. Updates to the iMac line are believed to be over due, having originally been slated for a release late this year but delayed last minute for unknown reasons.

Recent evidence discovered within builds of Mac OS X 10.5.5 confirms the new models, like upcoming Mac minis, will employ chipsets from the same NVIDIA MCP79 platform found at the heart of Apple's most recent notebook refresh that included the MacBook, MacBook Pro and MacBook Air.

A report published last month by Taiwanese rumor site DigiTimes claimed the company has been waiting on a new family of quad-core chips from Intel that are designed for small form-factor PCs like the Mac mini and all-in-one systems like the iMac.

The 65W low-power chips were said to arrive in mid-January at clock speeds between 2.33GHz and 2.8GHz, though DigiTimes did not specify whether the parts were actually destined for Mac mini and iMac refreshes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 95
    I'd like to see some leaked photos!
  • Reply 2 of 95
    markbmarkb Posts: 153member
    Oh please let quad-core be the base (or only) config for both minis and imacs. OpenCL + quadcore +Nvidia chips + Mac OS X 10.6 = a system I can unreservedly recommend to anyone.
  • Reply 3 of 95
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markb View Post

Oh please let quad-core be the base (or only) config for both minis and imacs. OpenCL + quadcore +Nvidia chips + Mac OS X 10.6 = a system I can unreservedly recommend to anyone.

Quad core as an option would be cool enough for me.
  • Reply 4 of 95
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Bracing myself for the obligatory firewire removal discussion.
  • Reply 5 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Bracing myself for the obligatory firewire removal discussion.

Of course they won't have firewire. What do you think this is, circa pre-2008?
  • Reply 6 of 95
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Fantastic! My wait of 2 years is finally over. Many of us have been patiently waiting for a new generation. Schiller is the iMac guy, I take.
  • Reply 7 of 95
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    65W low-power chips? Really? THAT IS TOO MUCH, MUCH, MUCH POWER!!!
  • Reply 8 of 95
    I know this is going to sound ironic, but if Snow Leopard is 64-bit only, then I'm going to buy one of these. I currently have a Rev A Intel iMac, that is, 32-bit Core Duo.

If the only way for me to get Snow Leopard is to upgrade my hardware, then I'll have to do so.
  • Reply 9 of 95
    Apple has been working on making their products more green. An all in one PC that can't be upgraded seems to go against that.

I'd like to see the iMac retired as we know it.

I'd like to see the new iMac become an

Apple monitor with speakers and built-in dock for Mac Minis.

Monitor technology changes very slowly and all-in-one computers seem wasteful.

I think this will drive up demand for mac Minis.
  • Reply 10 of 95
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    I know it's highly unlikely, but I'd love to see the iMac go back to all white...or least silver and white.

That black frame still hasn't grown on me over time.
  • Reply 11 of 95
    On January 29, 2008, my Blue & White G3, version A will be 10 years old. I hope Apple will throw me a bone and release the 17" version of the Mac Book Pro. I got cash and I am willing to part with the $3500 to stimulate the economy...
  • Reply 12 of 95
    Quadd core and a much, much faster GPU are all very exciting.

I also hope for a serious bump in drive capacity. 1.5 gigs please, or even better, give us the option for two internal drives. That would be awesome.
  • Reply 13 of 95
    Just my luck, my lemon of a glossy iMac just got replaced with an identical model.

A bit later and I might have got something better for my pains.

BWhaler

I think you mean 1.5 TB Hard Drive.

Having seen the inside of the 24" iMac, there is no room for a second hard drive even though that would be a good idea with TimeMachine.

Due to that silly curvature of the back to make it "look" slim, there just isn't any room.

Of course They could go back to the look of the older white iMacs which would also stop the over heating of the current model. It would make the insides easier to access as well. Currently you have to remove the glass, the screen and everything behind it to get at the guts of the machine.

BTW To put an end to all the nonsense that was talked about the glossy screen being rectified by a simple removal of the glass. The screen underneath the glass is glossy also.

Satchmo

We are as of one mind re the design. The white model was one of the best looking models Apple has ever produced. I have two 24" models and they are fantastic. The look and magnetic remote, and especially the matte screens.

The aluminium glossy models are dead set ugly. The black back and huge black logo are heavy and unpleasant and a total mismatch with the white mouse. Speaking of which, that needs a complete redesign the scroll button is perpetually jamming and is a functional dud, as nearly every Apple mouse has been.
  • Reply 14 of 95
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Not for a system that's constantly plugged into the wall.
  • Reply 15 of 95
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

Of course they won't have firewire. What do you think this is, circa pre-2008?

My USB 2 has been significantly underperforming my Firewire 400. What's up with THAT?
  • Reply 16 of 95
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gastroboy View Post

Just my luck, my lemon of a glossy iMac just got replaced with an identical model.

A bit later and I might have got something better for my pains.

BWhaler

I think you mean 1.5 TB Hard Drive.

Having seen the inside of the 24" iMac, there is no room for a second hard drive even though that would be a good idea with TimeMachine.

Due to that silly curvature of the back to make it "look" slim, there just isn't any room.

Of course They could go back to the look of the older white iMacs which would also stop the over heating of the current model. It would make the insides easier to access as well. Currently you have to remove the glass, the screen and everything behind it to get at the guts of the machine.

BTW To put an end to all the nonsense that was talked about the glossy screen being rectified by a simple removal of the glass. The screen underneath the glass is glossy also.

Satchmo

We are as of one mind re the design. The white model was one of the best looking models Apple has ever produced. I have two 24" models and they are fantastic. The look and magnetic remote, and especially the matte screens.

The aluminium glossy models are dead set ugly. The black back and huge black logo are heavy and unpleasant and a total mismatch with the white mouse. Speaking of which, that needs a complete redesign the scroll button is perpetually jamming and is a functional dud, as nearly every Apple mouse has been.

Sorry you bought the fugly glossy racoon. I agree 100% on your assessment of the white.
  • Reply 17 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jacob1varghese View Post

Apple has been working on making their products more green. An all in one PC that can't be upgraded seems to go against that.

I'd like to see the iMac retired as we know it.

I'd like to see the new iMac become an

Apple monitor with speakers and built-in dock for Mac Minis.

Monitor technology changes very slowly and all-in-one computers seem wasteful.

I think this will drive up demand for mac Minis.

What does upgrading a computer have to do with being green? The MacBook/Pro is not upgradable it is one of the greenest computers out there today. The Mac Mini is a crippled computer, and Apple and consumers are not going to rely on that piece of shit as a primary desktop Mac.

All-in-one computers are not wasteful in any way. My iMac G5 is far more powerful than my "upgradable" Power Mac G3 and it is extremely quiet too. I still use my all-in-one iMac G4 (2003) and it works great running Leopard. Also, the Mac Mini is not upgradable either, so your argument is pointless.
  • Reply 18 of 95
    Waiting to replace 'logic board blown' iMac g5 with something new.

After the £550 repair bill or replace for this one though i'm tempted to go headless and HDTV instead of iMac. I was tempted by a PC, but as I've been Apple since 1989 it just feels wrong (alhough possibly cheaper for just surfing).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

All-in-one computers are not wasteful in any way. My iMac G5 is far more powerful than my "upgradable" Power Mac G3 and it is extremely quiet too. I still use my all-in-one iMac G4 (2003) and it works great running Leopard. Also, the Mac Mini is not upgradable either, so your argument is pointless.

My all in one is wasteful because I have a perfectly good LCD and case and a dead logic board that I can't replace the one blown part on. With either a mini (buy a new mini) or a tower (replace blown part) i'd be consuming less resources. My only 'green' option is to sell the dead machine for parts once I transfer the data to my new machine (it boots but doesn't process video signals - I can even upload cds to my ipod but with nothing on the screen).
  • Reply 19 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Stop thinking your iMac or Workstation is a MacBook AIR and soon you're realize that a 65W core is here to compete with the upcoming AMD chips. The 65W power is inline with the E8400, E8500 and E8600 CPUs.

The Quad Core2 Extreme:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115044

Thermal Power\t150W

Back to reality.
  • Reply 20 of 95
    I can't personally stand the White Design'ed Systems. The new aluminum iMacs aren't high on my list, but the plastic white wreaks of POS in structural design.