Case maker publishes photos of iPhone nano protector

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
XSKN, the third-party case maker responsible for rekindling rumors of an iPhone nano, has started taking orders for a protective holder for the rumored gadget.

The accessory maker is selling the cases in a variety of colors for prices between $25 and $27. Outside of being fitted for a shorter, chubbier version of the Apple handsets, the cases largely resemble the company's line of iPhone 3G protective holders.

Despite accurately leaking casing designs for the iPhone 3G and fourth-generation iPod nano before those devices were announced by Apple, XSKN's latest claim of an iPhone nano has been met with considerable skepticism for a variety of reasons.

An image of one of the casings can be seen below.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 89
    I could MAYBE see a scalled down iPhone to replace the current iPhone, but a separate device that would cause cannibalization between the two? NO.
  • Reply 2 of 89
    I don't see any sensor holes, aren't those needed for when you hold the phone to your face?
  • Reply 3 of 89
    Isn't it ironic how this company has twice now, (if this pans out) been the main conduit through which Apple's latest and greatest device is revealed, when it's one of the most tasteless ugly sites ever created?

Not only that, the product itself is hideous, and the few colour choices one can order that make the product barely tolerable to the eyes are never even shown. Just like with the 3G last year, the "artist" picks black and electric-eye-ripping-raw blue as the colour combination they want to highlight? And to fill in the screen shot they choose a screen with bright red and yellow buttons and then over-saturate the image to boot???? Arghhhh!!!!

/me feels like ripping my eyes out just looking at the thing. People with such a poor idea of colour and what constitutes good design should simply be put to sleep IMO.
  • Reply 4 of 89
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Personally, I don't have the kind of skepticism against the new kind of device that others do. I've seen too many Apple fans find reasons to dismiss leaked mock-ups and photos saying it would "never happen" only to end up finding that the photos nailed it, even if it's not up to an apple fan's idealization of how Apple works.

I don't understand why Apple would give this company another shot at pre-release design access when they've leaked before.
  • Reply 5 of 89
    I really don't think this is real. I seriously don't. It just doesn't make sense at all.

On the note of the sites other "correct" prediction: They were so obviously going to happen it was unbelievable!

I think even an amateur like my mom could of designed the iPhone 3G and got it just about right. And on the iPod Nano, the whole world knew what it was going to look like before the Keynote. There was 2D designs leaked a whole week before.

Lets hold our horses and just see that this is a big publicity stunt for the site in question. Don't you think Apple will have been a bit more careful with their casing designs after the iPod Nano debacle?
  • Reply 6 of 89
    If this "iPod nano" is true, it better be a clamshell
  • Reply 7 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

I could MAYBE see a scalled down iPhone to replace the current iPhone, but a separate device that would cause cannibalization between the two? NO.

By your reasoning, wouldn't the same apply to the iPod classic / iPod touch / iPod nano? They may cannibalize each other to a minute degree, but each offers their own draws and drawbacks.

Concerning leaks like these, it is necessary for Apple to provide case metrics so that companies such as XSKN can have skins/cases ready in time for product launches. Therefore, its not hard to understand why Apple's products are being "leaked" by accessory manufacturers nowadays, because they all want to be the first to have their cases etc on the shelf when people line up to buy Apple's new products. Whether these 3rd party accessory manufacturers are deliberately tight-lipped or loose-mouthed is a whole other debacle.
  • Reply 8 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ALBIM View Post

If this "iPod nano" is true, it better be a clamshell

who wants a clamshell? I guess you want an antenna to pull out as well....
  • Reply 9 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

... I don't understand why Apple would give this company another shot at pre-release design access when they've leaked before.

Yeah, this is what I don't get either. If I was Steve Jobs I would have had them arrested or something for the last debacle. I sure wouldn't let them in on the next big thing like they seem to have been.
  • Reply 10 of 89
    hmmm. If it doesn't have apps, it will fail. I just want apple to lower the price for the pay as you go iPhone 3G (£350 for 8GB at the mo. Not amused)
  • Reply 11 of 89
    The "fatty" nano was a controlled leak.

-

in other news I am SO glad we have gotten away from the "FAAAAAKE" idiots
  • Reply 12 of 89
    Has anyone considered that the main problem with this "leak" and the iPhone nano idea is that if the screen is a different resolution or aspect ratio then all the apps will be incompatible. Any cheaper iPhone will be based on the same screen shape and I'd say size since higher dpi screen (smaller) or the chips to somehow scale everything in real time would make this "nano" more expensive. The only way out is if the whole OS and dev environment goes vector graphics.
  • Reply 13 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

By your reasoning, wouldn't the same apply to the iPod classic / iPod touch / iPod nano? They may cannibalize each other to a minute degree, but each offers their own draws and drawbacks.

Comparing the iPhone/iPod touch and their MultiTouch screens with the iPod classic/nano and their Click Wheels is a blatantly false comparison.

A Click Wheel iPod's controls are independent from its scalable interface.

An iPhone/iPod touch's controls are dependent on its touch screen interface and vice versa - the iPhone's controls, interface, and screen are one and the same. Also, all of the iPods are under the (once exploding and still growing) mp3 player market umbrella, while the only major growth in the cell phone world is in the emerging smartphone segment (not the over-saturated dumbphone market).
  • Reply 14 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

No because there are no applications for (regular, non-Touch) iPods. It's just data (music) and Apple controls the user interface.

With the iPhone/iPodTouch, programmers have to write to the screen, so it's very important that the screen's number of pixels stay the same.

So like the OP implied, if this is a physically smaller screen but with the same number of pixels, then it would be fine. Apps should run fine on it.
  • Reply 15 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bikertwin View Post

So like the OP implied, if this is a physically smaller screen but with the same number of pixels, then it would be fine. Apps should run fine on it.

Except everything would appear smaller - onscreen buttons, text, everything. That could impact usability greatly, which is another knock on this rumor. If targets onscreen become too small, third party developers would likely want to put out two separate versions of their apps to compensate for the smaller screen.
  • Reply 16 of 89
    The BlackBerry Bold has the same resolution (480x320) as the current iPhone, yet you'd never be able to guess that by just looking at the two.

It's very conceivable that this iPhone nano has the same screen resolution and therefore would run the same software. It's also very conceivable that they would be able to stuff a non-3G phone into the smaller form factor.

But I just don't understand how they could shrink the area of the touch interface by that much without seriously affecting usability. But in the end it's impossible for anyone to say whether a smaller touch area would or would not work without actually trying it, so who knows...
  • Reply 17 of 89
    Me thinks its a marketing stunt.

Seriously, think of how much traffic that site has been getting lately. I really don't see this happening this soon (a second device in the iPhone leg). Maybe one day when the market calls for it. But when iPhone 3G-2 comes out this summer, the 8 gigger will likely drop to $99, and the rest will follow suit.

We'll thats how I see it anyway.
  • Reply 18 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MattRebs View Post

Me thinks its a marketing stunt.

Seriously, think of how much traffic that site has been getting lately. I really don't see this happening this soon (a second device in the iPhone leg). Maybe one day when the market calls for it. But when iPhone 3G-2 comes out this summer, the 8 gigger will likely drop to $99, and the rest will follow suit.

We'll thats how I see it anyway.

Exactly. It's a win-win situation for them. If Apple announces such a thing, XSKN will whip up a case to fit it. If not, they'll just lie and say Apple delayed it...then remove the made-up case from their listings...then pretend it never existed, all while reaping the rewards from the heightened press coverage.
  • Reply 19 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't understand why Apple would give this company another shot at pre-release design access when they've leaked before.

Well thats it, why on earth would apple tell them anything given past history. It's not like the product would make or break the success of the iPhone, or is integral in any way shape or form.

I was perplexed last time the case manufacturer leaked info, now (if this turns out to be true) I'm in complete astonishment as to how they are obtaining these details. I can only assume the info is obtained via a third party.
  • Reply 20 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Well thats it, why on earth would apple tell them anything given past history. It's not like the product would make or break the success of the iPhone, or is integral in any way shape or form.

I was perplexed last time the case manufacturer leaked info, now (if this turns out to be true) I'm in complete astonishment as to how they are obtaining these details. I can only assume the info is obtained via a third party.

Is this the same "third party" that funds Psystar?