Next-gen iMacs due in January, says paper

Comments

• Reply 21 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nli10 View Post

Waiting to replace 'logic board blown' iMac g5 with something new.

After the £550 repair bill or replace for this one though i'm tempted to go headless and HDTV instead of iMac. I was tempted by a PC, but as I've been Apple since 1989 it just feels wrong (alhough possibly cheaper for just surfing).

My all in one is wasteful because I have a perfectly good LCD and case and a dead logic board that I can't replace the one blown part on. With either a mini (buy a new mini) or a tower (replace blown part) i'd be consuming less resources. My only 'green' option is to sell the dead machine for parts once I transfer the data to my new machine (it boots but doesn't process video signals - I can even upload cds to my ipod but with nothing on the screen).

You know you can get those repaired. My mother in law just had her logic board replaced, free of charge by Apple, for the second time, just last week. Even though the program ended last month, she asked and they said "sure"!

She was so happy, she sold the newly repaired one and bought a brand new one. Atta boy Apple!
  • Reply 22 of 95
    ...no discussion of LED displays? The 24" Cinema is happening... will the iMac have LED? I've had my LED MacBook Pro for 18 months and it's still astonishing... bright as the day I bought it. Fading CCFL screens seem archaic now...
  • Reply 23 of 95
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

I know it's highly unlikely, but I'd love to see the iMac go back to all white...or least silver and white.

That black frame still hasn't grown on me over time.

I see this comment a lot. I have owned a 20" G5 (still have it in a spare bedroom), 24" White and now the Aluminum 24" iMac. I have found that the white reflects a lot of light back at my eyes while using the white models. I like the silver and black better for my eye's.
  • Reply 24 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gastroboy View Post

Just my luck, ... lemon ... I might have ... pains.

I can tell you are not exactly a "glass half full kind of person eh?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gastroboy View Post

Of course They could go back to the look of the older white iMacs which would also stop the over heating of the current model. ...

This is just totally wrong.

I use and service these machines all day long and out of the hundred or so I have worked on none have ever had an "overheating problem." There are also no widespread reports of any heating problem other than the simple firmware issue in the first rev which only affected a minority of users and was quickly fixed anyway.

The problem here is that you are talking in this post about your limited personal experience with just a few (or two) machines and yet you state things as if they were well-known facts that everyone would agree with and that everyone has experienced. That aren't even in question as a matter of fact.

Try using "IMO" or "I think" before pretty much every sentence you write. There is a big difference between what you feel about something and what the facts are, and you need to differentiate between them if you expect anyone to take you seriously.

IMO (see how that works?), the white iMac was the most seriously *ugly* computer Apple ever made. You can't really argue because, you know it's just my opinion.

Please state your opinions the same way (as opinions not facts) next time. Tx.
  • Reply 25 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I can't personally stand the White Design'ed Systems.

Why is there an apostrophe randomly in the middle of this word?
  • Reply 26 of 95
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    Quote:

Stop thinking your iMac or Workstation is a MacBook AIR and soon you're realize that a 65W core is here to compete with the upcoming AMD chips. The 65W power is inline with the E8400, E8500 and E8600 CPUs.

The Quad Core2 Extreme:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115044

Thermal Power\t150W

Back to reality.

How does that compare to current iMac and Mac mini? As far as I know:

TDP of Mac mini: 35W (November 2008)

TDP of iMac 55W (November 2008)

So, it could be used on an iMac but not on the Mac mini. I want a BEDROOM QUIET headless Mac, but the current Mac Pro is too noisy. Unless of course they make a Mac miniTOWER.
  • Reply 27 of 95
    Quote:

I can't personally stand the White Design'ed Systems. The new aluminum iMacs aren't high on my list, but the plastic white wreaks of POS in structural design.

I agree.

The white models were giant iPods. (And, did their jobs well, if, you know what their Jobs were) Hah!

But, wait.

Wasn't there a patent, filed a few years back, whereby wee'd (weed?) (internet grammer cop is gonna pull me over!) be able to control the colors of the "computer"? That's a big environment,

But,

I'd think that Apple is gonna have a way, for us to change that "Eyeglasses" look of the new models, with a preference panel. Don't like Black? Choose the ever irritating color, Yellow!

Or, how about just bringing up the "color" option, using the crayons, or the wheel, whatever, and dial in your own shade (or, even Pattern) for the glass rim? Let it change occasionally, just like your desktop picture How about if it glowed, while going to sleep? Sound OK?

The aluminum is so ultra cool.

I don't understand why more people don't get it?

It's probably because most aren't used to working with metals, (Or, maybe working with any "Material" in the real world for that matter.) Aluminum is an awesome choice of MATERIAL, shy of Titanium,for strength and cooling ability alone. (Did you ever need to choose a "Material" for a job? Have fun! I do.

The way these computers are "Machined" is truly amazing. Start with a roughly shaped "Block of Aluminum".

Ever look at the top of an Alum iMac, at the microphone, that'd been laser drilled? Incredible, watch Dell try to do that!

The iSight hidden in the "eyeglass" frame?

This is almost NASA stuff when I show it to my Winduhs using friends. (Oh, you Won't find this kind of High Tech work in a Space Shuttle, they're 70's crap).

They cannot buy Anything close to this kind of quality. (winduhs peeple).

When they use my iMac, I can't get them away from it.

That tells me all I need to know.

Says alot.
  • Reply 28 of 95
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    It would be kind of cool if Apple could innovate in the area of modularity. We all love how accessible the innards of the MacPro are and how easy it is to upgrade various components. The iMac was heading that way when you could access the guts without removing the screen.

If it's about form and aesthetics, I'm sure there are some innovative latching mechanisms that are only minimally destructive to the fine, sculpted lines that Steve requires. If it were a choice between .125" thinner or full access to the inside, I'd prefer the latter.

This goes to the 'waste' factor as well. It would be a huge step forward to be able to replace major parts of the iMac.

Nevertheless, the iMac is the only Mac I ever buy and I've never regretted a single purchase. We had some issues with the G5 Lava models but Apple took care of us every time. The new intel iMacs are incredibly powerful and a great value. Reselling them is easy and the net cost is minimal. There is room for improvement, but the iMac is about as close to perfection as I've seen Apple come.
  • Reply 29 of 95
    THE LED Screens rock. I can't live without one, literally.
  • Reply 30 of 95
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacOutlaw View Post

I agree.

It's probably because most aren't used to working with metals, (Or, maybe working with any "Material" in the real world for that matter.) Aluminum is an awesome choice of MATERIAL, shy of Titanium,for strength and cooling ability alone. (Did you ever need to choose a "Material" for a job? Have fun! I do.

It's not the aluminum or even the glossy screen that I dislike. Brushed aluminum makes up the stand of all iMacs.

But IMO, the black frame throws everything off. It's a new colour scheme that Apple has pushed across it's entire line, which is why I won't buy the new MacBook/Pros either. I love the unibody and build quality, but again, I can't get past the black border.
  • Reply 31 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacOutlaw View Post

I agree.

The white models were giant iPods. (And, did their jobs well, if, you know what their Jobs were) Hah!

But, wait.

Wasn't there a patent, filed a few years back, whereby wee'd (weed?) (internet grammer cop is gonna pull me over!) be able to control the colors of the "computer"? That's a big environment,

But,

I'd think that Apple is gonna have a way, for us to change that "Eyeglasses" look of the new models, with a preference panel. Don't like Black? Choose the ever irritating color, Yellow!

Or, how about just bringing up the "color" option, using the crayons, or the wheel, whatever, and dial in your own shade (or, even Pattern) for the glass rim? Let it change occasionally, just like your desktop picture How about if it glowed, while going to sleep? Sound OK?

The way these computers are "Machined" is truly amazing. Start with a roughly shaped "Block of Aluminum".

Ever look at the top of an Alum iMac, at the microphone, that'd been laser drilled? Incredible, watch Dell try to do that!

The iSight hidden in the "eyeglass" frame?

This is almost NASA stuff when I show it to my Winduhs using friends. (Oh, you Won't find this kind of High Tech work in a Space Shuttle, they're 70's crap).

They cannot buy Anything close to this kind of quality. (winduhs peeple).

When they use my iMac, I can't get them away from it.

That tells me all I need to know.

Says alot.

Now only if they put all that effort into the computer it be a different ball game... EACH iMac I have gone through, has had the famous gradient issue - nothing has been done since 2005! I don't care how thin or how hot the thing looks, I want an LCD that doesn't have gradient issues. Yellowish in the center of the display with light white blue sides... The left side is always brighter than the right side... Thanks to the horrible backlighting...

I am returning my iMac and I will give it another try in January otherwise back to Windows. I rather spend 700$ on a WIN PC then 2300$ with gradient displays... Come on Apple... You charge a premium. I expect BMWs to be less problematic than Chevy's. Period.
  • Reply 32 of 95
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

IMO (see how that works?), the white iMac was the most seriously *ugly* computer Apple ever made. You can't really argue because, you know it's just my opinion.

Please state your opinions the same way (as opinions not facts) next time. Tx.

Why? He is stating fact .

It (racoon-faced iMac) is frkn FUGLY.
  • Reply 33 of 95
    Quote:

I can't personally stand the White Design'ed Systems. The new aluminum iMacs aren't high on my list, but the plastic white wreaks of POS in structural design.

AT least the White iMac was an ORIGINAL design- not a "Green" copy.
  • Reply 34 of 95
    mabmab Posts: 14member
    i hope the 17-inch mac book pro doesnt cost more than 2800$..........
  • Reply 35 of 95
    (started writing this before mab posted the above comment so this has nothing to do with mab's comment)

Why do some people have to criticize everything? If they don't like it, it is horrible and anybody who buys it has problems.

If the iMac were so horribly ugly, nobody would buy it. That it is selling proves that it is not ugly in many people's opinion. So, in SOME PEOPLE'S opinion it is ugly, in others', it is not. It's just that those who don't like it (or anything else for that matter) feel that they have to vocalize their discontent louder than an F-14 at take-off at every opportunity.
  • Reply 36 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

(started writing this before mab posted the above comment so this has nothing to do with mab's comment)

Why do some people have to criticize everything? If they don't like it, it is horrible and anybody who buys it has problems.

If the iMac were so horribly ugly, nobody would buy it. That it is selling proves that it is not ugly in many people's opinion. So, in SOME PEOPLE'S opinion it is ugly, in others', it is not. It's just that those who don't like it (or anything else for that matter) feel that they have to vocalize their discontent louder than an F-14 at take-off at every opportunity.

You would vocalize it too , if you'd been waiting 2 years for a new iMac. And SOME PEOPLE are MANY PEOPLE. And just because it's selling to SOME PEOPLE does not mean anything. Afterall SOME PEOPLE voted for W twice into office- does that make that a good choice? I never said anyone who bought it has problems. I'm just glad it's being replaced. That's all.
  • Reply 37 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

I am returning my iMac and I will give it another try in January otherwise back to Windows. I rather spend 700$ on a WIN PC then 2300$ with gradient displays... Come on Apple... You charge a premium. I expect BMWs to be less problematic than Chevy's. Period.

Why not a MINI? Then you can choose your own monitor.

A BMW to be less problematic than a Chevy? Well I know you don't own a BMW because that's just funny.
  • Reply 38 of 95
    I bought the glossy iMac and promptly sent it back. Fabulous technology inside compared to my White iMac G5 20-inch 2.0Ghz PPC. Which I will keep until it packs up altogether and says "So Long And Thanks For All The Fish!"
  • Reply 39 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

I know this is going to sound ironic, but if Snow Leopard is 64-bit only, then I'm going to buy one of these. I currently have a Rev A Intel iMac, that is, 32-bit Core Duo.

If the only way for me to get Snow Leopard is to upgrade my hardware, then I'll have to do so.

That's a bigger question - will they release new imacs just a few months before Snow leopard, making you update your brand new imac right after you get it? (and of course, pay for the new OS)
  • Reply 40 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mab View Post

i hope the 17-inch mac book pro doesnt cost more than 2800$..........

Whatever price Apple puts on it, the dollar symbol will be in front of the number.