Next-gen iMacs due in January, says paper

Comments

• Reply 41 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnmcboston View Post

That's a bigger question - will they release new imacs just a few months before Snow leopard, making you update your brand new imac right after you get it? (and of course, pay for the new OS)

I'm sure by then, we'll know the timetable for sure.

This means that if they release the new iMac and then announce an April release date for Snow Leopard, I would only need to wait a few months.
  • Reply 42 of 95
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Is anybody else worried that Apple are using the same chipset platform that has given them problems in the MacBook Pro?
  • Reply 43 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

I can tell you are not exactly a "glass half full kind of person eh?

This is just totally wrong.

I use and service these machines all day long and out of the hundred or so I have worked on none have ever had an "overheating problem." There are also no widespread reports of any heating problem other than the simple firmware issue in the first rev which only affected a minority of users and was quickly fixed anyway.

The problem here is that you are talking in this post about your limited personal experience with just a few (or two) machines and yet you state things as if they were well-known facts that everyone would agree with and that everyone has experienced. That aren't even in question as a matter of fact.

Try using "IMO" or "I think" before pretty much every sentence you write. There is a big difference between what you feel about something and what the facts are, and you need to differentiate between them if you expect anyone to take you seriously.

IMO (see how that works?), the white iMac was the most seriously *ugly* computer Apple ever made. You can't really argue because, you know it's just my opinion.

Please state your opinions the same way (as opinions not facts) next time. Tx.

When you go into a swank bar, pay top dollar for a beer and it comes up halfway up the glass, is it half full or half empty?

I got an on-site for the Glossy iMac. The tech knew exactly what I was describing when I told him of my networking and spontaneous power-down problems. He does 2-3 of them a week and we are not a large city (300k pop).

btw The power supply was not rectified after the repair. Apple noted it as a"known" problem. I immediately rang AppleCare after it again spontaneously powered down and told them IMO it was a lemon, I had grown in, the 6 months I had it, to loath and despise looking at it. I then demanded a replacement unit. I did not get much of an argument from Apple and have now got a new unit. so far so good (3 days).

Migrating from a non-present computer using an archived system, proved a good one and a half days of headache, which I am still fixing.

There are NO problems with these machines I gather IYHO, so please enclose IMOs with your wild statements based on limited experience.
  • Reply 44 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

Is anybody else worried that Apple are using the same chipset platform that has given them problems in the MacBook Pro?

Yes...
  • Reply 45 of 95
    This whole thread shows why Apple probably doesn't put much stock in the so called loyal Mac base here at AI. Every time it's leak, complain, whine, and think you know better. Go back to white plastic... give me a break. Raccoon screen... petty.

Maybe it's because Apple makes the best computers in the industry, AI brats don't have anything REAL to complain about. IMO
  • Reply 46 of 95
    I guess LED backlit displays are also going to be a standard feature in all the new Mac models Quad core CPU with LED Display and a decent enough graphics card, now this makes me want to buy the new iMac. I would be upgrading from PowerMac G5 1.6 ghz
  • Reply 47 of 95
    Then this should be a totally Hardware Show because they better be releasing New Mac Pros with New video cards that can accommodate the New Monitors and At least have BluRay as an add on option! If they don't have that ANY THING else is BOGUS And is being release without todays or Yesterdays technology. Apple is way behind and they have SERIOUS catching up to do. Imagining that you can't even Burn or Author a BluRay DVD on the machine that runs Final Cut Pro, or let alone view one.. Absolutely PATHETIC and EXCUSE-LESS.

They just released new iMacs and Updated their portable line, MacMini and MacPro should be next along with an entire new line of Monitors. AT least this new Display Port can validate and Play HDMI Compliant Video so that's a small step in the right direction, but incredibly late.

The one thing I do have to say about Apple is when the finally start supporting something, they at least get it right even though they are 2 years late!
  • Reply 48 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnmcboston View Post

That's a bigger question - will they release new imacs just a few months before Snow leopard, making you update your brand new imac right after you get it? (and of course, pay for the new OS)

Whoever said that Snow Leopard will be 64 bit only?
  • Reply 49 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ensign Pulver View Post

Why is there an apostrophe randomly in the middle of this word?

My being too fast on the keys. What I personally find appauling is your lack of substance in this thread. Care to elaborate more on when or where to throw in a semicolon, colon, an apostrophe, or are those the high marks of your grammatical expertise?
  • Reply 50 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

How does that compare to current iMac and Mac mini? As far as I know:

TDP of Mac mini: 35W (November 2008)

TDP of iMac 55W (November 2008)

So, it could be used on an iMac but not on the Mac mini. I want a BEDROOM QUIET headless Mac, but the current Mac Pro is too noisy. Unless of course they make a Mac miniTOWER.

That's a casing design issue and choice of fans to transmit convective heat transfer more reasonably.

In short, the case will have to gain in height to allow for a 120mm cross flow fan to displace the heat already being displaced by the fins of the heat sink.

If they attempt to put in a dedicated PCI Express GPU that whisper quiet system will have to grow in size to allow for the volume of air flow displacing the increased heat loss, without excessive noise.

The fans on the Nvidia systems make noise if they are > 1800 rpms, period.
  • Reply 51 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

This whole thread shows why Apple probably doesn't put much stock in the so called loyal Mac base here at AI. Every time it's leak, complain, whine, and think you know better. Go back to white plastic... give me a break. Raccoon screen... petty.

Maybe it's because Apple makes the best computers in the industry, AI brats don't have anything REAL to complain about. IMO

Loyal and extremely forbearing.

I have 7 Macs right now, heaven knows how many I have bought in my lifetime. It is not unreasonable to hold up Apple to its own professed quality claims.

Of course there are those who reflexively consider any criticism as sacrilege.
  • Reply 52 of 95
    You know, occasionally, there are models of whatever gadget or appliance or car etc., which are just about perfect. That is what I'm hoping for from the new iMac. I want to buy a 24" - here are my dreams:

1)LED screen with non-glossy option - without major problems with color, pixels, white spots, fading, burns etc.

2)New chipset that's not going to collapse with a major flaw

3)Easy access to a swappable hard drive and memory

Just these three would be enough for me. Somehow I have a weird feeling that none of my wishes will come true - and yet it seems I ask for so little!
  • Reply 53 of 95
    [QUOTE=AppleInsider;1353626]A new-generation of NVIDIA-based iMacs are due to begin shipping out of China sometime next month, according to a new report out of the Far East.

Citing sources within Apple's supply chain, the Chinese-language Economic Daily News reported Tuesday that the Mac maker is scheduled to "launch a new iMac all-in-one PC in the first quarter of next year, and the company's sole manufacturing partner, Quanta Computer, is gearing up to supply monthly shipments of around 800,000 units during the first quarter of 2009."

The paper added that the new models will begin making their way stateside in January. Updates to the iMac line are believed to be over due, having originally been slated for a release late this year but delayed last minute for unknown reasons.

Recent evidence discovered within builds of Mac OS X 10.5.5 confirms the new models, like upcoming Mac minis, will employ chipsets from the same NVIDIA MCP79 platform found at the heart of Apple's most recent notebook refresh that included the MacBook, MacBook Pro and MacBook Air.

A report published last month by Taiwanese rumor site DigiTimes claimed the company has been waiting on a new family of quad-core chips from Intel that are designed for small form-factor PCs like the Mac mini and all-in-one systems like the iMac.

The 65W low-power chips were said to arrive in mid-January at clock speeds between 2.33GHz and 2.8GHz, though DigiTimes did not specify whether the parts were actually destined for Mac mini and iMac refreshes. [/QUOT]

Hope matte screen is an option again on these new imacs.Lets make them more user friendly, not viewer friendly.If i want to look at myself, i will just look in the mirror.I hate reflections!!!! Lets hope ram is upgradable to 8g, but i know thats pushin it, but will settle for 6. I heard snow leopard has smaller footprint, which is great, so it won't take up so much space. Well, the wait is almost over and we will all find out !!!!
  • Reply 54 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmcglinn View Post

Why not a MINI? Then you can choose your own monitor.

A BMW to be less problematic than a Chevy? Well I know you don't own a BMW because that's just funny.

Actually I own a Chevy and no problems. Friends have a BMW many problems.

I got an iMac and many problems. Use to own Win PCs no problems...

See the irony?

The more expensive stuff is overpriced and lesser of quality. I swear I thought buying more expensive would be better... it ain't so!

On a side note, the iMac is pride $2300 CDN - the hardware is dated and so I expect for that price top notch stuff or extremely high end hardware - none of the two.

Apple uses LG displays in the current iMacs... They have nothing but gradient issues - GO APPLE!

The backlighting is another joke... Apple has a hot mess on its hand. I gladly take an inch thicker computer and higher end ingredients and pay the premium price...

I guess I am paying $2300 for the OS! That is the only thing flawless on my iMac - minus Time Machine Backup errors - on several different drives... two different iMacs!

Go figure?
  • Reply 55 of 95
    I'd like to see these using the new Intel Core i7 processors.
  • Reply 56 of 95
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontlookleft View Post

I'd like to see some leaked photos!

Why would that matter? The update probably will be a lot like the Air update - just change the board and video output socket. And maybe update to LED backlighting. Leaked photos of updated boards really won't get a lot of people excited.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Bracing myself for the obligatory firewire removal discussion.

Probably would have been best to not even bring it up.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Loungepop View Post

...no discussion of LED displays? The 24" Cinema is happening... will the iMac have LED? I've had my LED MacBook Pro for 18 months and it's still astonishing... bright as the day I bought it. Fading CCFL screens seem archaic now...

First, I would expect that an iMac update would go to LED backlights.

Do people really have problems with CCFLs fading?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ensign Pulver View Post

Why is there an apostrophe randomly in the middle of this word?

Why did you decide you needed to post that piece of off-topic sniping? We don't need tactless grammar cops, it's gone too far.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

What does upgrading a computer have to do with being green? The MacBook/Pro is not upgradable it is one of the greenest computers out there today. The Mac Mini is a crippled computer, and Apple and consumers are not going to rely on that piece of shit as a primary desktop Mac.

I don't see the problem, I used a mini as my primary Mac. Calling it a piece of shit really doesn't mean it is, it's quite a solid machine. I think it would do fine for most people.
  • Reply 57 of 95
    halvrihalvri Posts: 146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webraider View Post

Then this should be a totally Hardware Show because they better be releasing New Mac Pros with New video cards that can accommodate the New Monitors and At least have BluRay as an add on option! If they don't have that ANY THING else is BOGUS And is being release without todays or Yesterdays technology. Apple is way behind and they have SERIOUS catching up to do. Imagining that you can't even Burn or Author a BluRay DVD on the machine that runs Final Cut Pro, or let alone view one.. Absolutely PATHETIC and EXCUSE-LESS.

They just released new iMacs and Updated their portable line, MacMini and MacPro should be next along with an entire new line of Monitors. AT least this new Display Port can validate and Play HDMI Compliant Video so that's a small step in the right direction, but incredibly late.

The one thing I do have to say about Apple is when the finally start supporting something, they at least get it right even though they are 2 years late!

Apple is a member of the Blu-Ray Disc Association. The reason it hasn't yet adopted the technology is likely a result of Blu-Ray's ever declining sales and the fact that it runs a competing download service in iTunes (same reason Microsoft hasn't released a Blu-Ray player for the Xbox).

As to the technology, the iMacs are based on mobile platforms and have the most recent in that area per their release. This is why they're now moving to quad-core: Intel is only now releasing power efficient quad-core mobile processors. The same is true for the Mac Pros in terms of the server based processors it uses. More than likely Apple will adopt Intel's Core i7 processors for the Pro's next release as it offers true quad core performance and it will soon offer the same with eight cores on a chip (meaning we'll likely see a 16-core Mac Pro in 2010).

Everything considered, we're almost assuredly going to see LED backlighting in all but the largest Cinema Display (the 30" is simply too costly at current rates) and throughout the entire iMac line. I seriously, doubt, though, that the highest end iMac will adopt the exact same Nvidia chips as the rest. While a 9400 or 9600 card would be a definite upgrade over the current ATI HD 2400 and 2600 cards used in the lower end models, they would be a serious downgrade from the 8800GS used in the current high end model (which is why I suspect it will move to atleast a 9800 card).

The only product line Apple is truly behind on is the Mac Mini, which doesn't surprise me given it's primarily sold to businesses who find its current specs more than adequate. That said, given the state of the economy, I do expect Apple will begin to push it as a consumer item more pronouncedly. I'm expecting the 2.0GHz and 2.4GHz Core 2 Duos and the Nvidia 9400m chips used in the MacBook line to filter into the new models. The new Mini DisplayPort will obviously be making an appearance and the Firewire 400 port will be gone, so that begs the question of what will fill the space gained from removing that and the DVI port preceding the new MDP. My guess is a couple more USB ports and possibly a TV tuner. Steve Jobs clearly has no love for the Apple TV, so it wouldn't surprise me were he to reposition the Mini as a media center computer.

The final changes will be in the upgrade to a Wireless-N Airport card, a larger allotment of DDR 3 SDRAM, & hard drives in-line with the current MacBooks (i.e. up to 320GB). I expect the price points of the two current models to stay mostly unchanged.

All of that said, I think your criticisms are both false and ridiculous. You're arguing based off of inaccurate perception of technology and an even more inaccurate sense reasoning as to why some of your desires haven't been fulfilled.
  • Reply 58 of 95
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Halvri View Post

Apple is a member of the Blu-Ray Disc Association. The reason it hasn't yet adopted the technology is likely a result of Blu-Ray's ever declining sales and the fact that it runs a competing download service in iTunes (same reason Microsoft hasn't released a Blu-Ray player for the Xbox).

I think the main reason people think BD sales are declining are either a false perception or certain articles that used a drop from two consecutive weeks and painted it as a long term trend. Week to week sales vary a lot like the stock market. In the case of BD, is largely because strong sales happen on weeks when strong titles are released, weak sales when weak titles are released. When using two consecutive weeks is your way to "prove" your decline, you pick a week where something like Ironman is released (had record BD sales for the time), then the following week is likely to pale in comparison.
  • Reply 59 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Halvri View Post

As to the technology, the iMacs are based on mobile platforms and have the most recent in that area per their release. This is why they're now moving to quad-core: Intel is only now releasing power efficient quad-core mobile processors. The same is true for the Mac Pros in terms of the server based processors it uses. More than likely Apple will adopt Intel's Core i7 processors for the Pro's next release as it offers true quad core performance and it will soon offer the same with eight cores on a chip (meaning we'll likely see a 16-core Mac Pro in 2010).

Everything considered, we're almost assuredly going to see LED backlighting in all but the largest Cinema Display (the 30" is simply too costly at current rates) and throughout the entire iMac line. I seriously, doubt, though, that the highest end iMac will adopt the exact same Nvidia chips as the rest. While a 9400 or 9600 card would be a definite upgrade over the current ATI HD 2400 and 2600 cards used in the lower end models, they would be a serious downgrade from the 8800GS used in the current high end model (which is why I suspect it will move to atleast a 9800 card).

The only product line Apple is truly behind on is the Mac Mini, which doesn't surprise me given it's primarily sold to businesses who find its current specs more than adequate. That said, given the state of the economy, I do expect Apple will begin to push it as a consumer item more pronouncedly. I'm expecting the 2.0GHz and 2.4GHz Core 2 Duos and the Nvidia 9400m chips used in the MacBook line to filter into the new models. The new Mini DisplayPort will obviously be making an appearance and the Firewire 400 port will be gone, so that begs the question of what will fill the space gained from removing that and the DVI port preceding the new MDP. My guess is a couple more USB ports and possibly a TV tuner. Steve Jobs clearly has no love for the Apple TV, so it wouldn't surprise me were he to reposition the Mini as a media center computer.

The fire wire backlash is likely to big for apple to pull that again maybe fire wire 800. Also a TV tuner will need a cable card / OCAP card slot.
  • Reply 60 of 95
    The Quad-Core will only be for the highest-end 24", the entry, mid 20" and entry 24" would only be dual core. The main line up would hopefully be

20" entry - Dualcore, 2GB RAM, Nvidia 9600GT 256MB

20" better - Dualcore, 2GB RAM, with Nvidia 9600GT 512MB

24" entry - Dualcore, 4GB RAM, with Nvidia 9600GT 512MB

24" best - Quadcore, 4GB RAM, with Nvidia 9800GT 512MB/1GB(?)VRAM

As for images, here's a blatant repost from another thread The LED 20" iMac Glass-Aluminium unibody. Featuring reduced "chin" but still distinguishable from the 24" LED Cinema Display.