Dell rumored to give MacBook Air a run for its money

12345679»

Comments

• Reply 161 of 172
    You guys have to stop using the windows arguments to bash dell.

Dell has now been shipping ubuntu linux wituh a lot of their pc's.

Dells xps brand of laptops are pretty good design wise. Heck i have an inspiron 1520 which has not had any problems what so ever (running both linux and vista).

If this laptop has a better price point then the air then yes it could start effecting macbook air sales.

I also agree with doh123. Dells more expensive lines of pc's like the xps line are better built and come with better support then their cheaper lines.

Just stop using the windows arguments in the dell bashing because you can now get linux on their machines.
  • Reply 162 of 172
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

you can now get linux on their machines.

So? Linux is an even worse consumer OS than Windows.

Anyway, that's beside the point, as if one wants to compare just the hardware, why not? Obviously it's not a great move if you're making a purchasing decision; then you'd want to compare hardware and software. Surely there must be a point at which OS X wouldn't be good enough to counter poor hardware? Fortunately, much of Apple's hardware is market-leading anyway (specifically their laptops and the Mac Pro)
  • Reply 163 of 172
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    My real concern is that Dell will be selling Mac OS compatible, legal laptops by the end of 2009. If Psystar is victorious (which is a 20% - 30% probability) then Michael Dell, one of Psystar's likely shadow sponsor / legal team benefactors, will be shoveling grit into Steve Jobs' business. Clearly these two don't get along well. The Mac OS might be a major growth area for a company like Dell.

Apple is powerful, but so is Dell. Michael Dell is thinking about precisely this scenario as he celebrates the holidays.
  • Reply 164 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bwik View Post

My real concern is that Dell will be selling Mac OS compatible, legal laptops by the end of 2009. If Psystar is victorious (which is a 20% - 30% probability)

I'd put Psystar's probability of success at more like 0.1%
  • Reply 165 of 172
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

I'd put Psystar's probability of success at more like 0.1%

I do not mean to hijack this thread with this issue. Your viewpoint is appreciated and shared by most people. However I believe judges will behave with a significant "gut instinct" factor that can go either way. I have met Judge Jackson of Microsoft monopoly fame and looked at his responses in detail. He didn't just follow Microsoft's fiddly license wording. He did what he thought was right. His playbook was bigger than just one company's unilateral claims. The Apple - Psystar judge might do the same thing, EULA be damned. Users and competitors have rights too.
  • Reply 166 of 172
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    What Microsoft was doing was clearly wrong and has nothing in common with how Apple has conducted business.

Users have the freedom and right to not purchase Apple's products if they do not like Apple's business model. Competitors have the freedom and right to compete against Apple in an open market.

Apple has used its resources and talent to produce a better product. In what way is it fair to force Apple to share its success with others who have the same opportunity but not the same talent or vision.

Quote:

I do not mean to hijack this thread with this issue. Your viewpoint is appreciated and shared by most people. However I believe judges will behave with a significant "gut instinct" factor that can go either way. I have met Judge Jackson of Microsoft monopoly fame and looked at his responses in detail. He didn't just follow Microsoft's fiddly license wording. He did what he thought was right. His playbook was bigger than just one company's unilateral claims. The Apple - Psystar judge might do the same thing, EULA be damned. Users and competitors have rights too.

• Reply 167 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post

I doubt it will run Mac OS X, so how will it in any way compete with the Air?

Mac OS X is the primary reason to own a Mac. Dell cannot compete with that. Nor can anyone else.

Perhaps this is the conspiracy behind PsyStars' action against Apple.

Michael may well do anything to put OSX on his crap.
  • Reply 168 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

Oh, get over it. Although they are certainly no Apple, Dell has improved greatly recently. Historically, they were always associated with their budget/mainstream laptops (Inspirons) which have always been big, ugly, and cheap looking, but their new "Studio" line of mainstream laptops are definitely more attractive than those.

But the best move Dell made in a long time was expanding their premium "XPS" models beyond their origination in laptop gaming. The non-gamer XPS models are attractive, built well, and have premium features like high resolution 1920x1200 displays on 15" models, 128GB SSDs, Expresscard slots and Firewire 400 on every model, Slot-load DVD-RW and cheap Bluray burners, DVI/HDMI out, and up to 8GB of ram, etc. And there is a 13" XPS model, so these are not all giant desktop replacement type notebooks --- though obviously they are not as sleek and thin as the new Macbook/MB Pro.

I'm not trying to sound like a Dell spokesman, but I've been researching laptops and feel that there needs to be a modicum of objectivity and balance here with all the fanboys. Obviously, besides the superior industrial design, With an Apple laptop you are getting OSX, and with a Dell you are getting XP or Vista. For many, that is the deal killer right there. Yes I know about the OSX86 project, but who wants to hassle with patching the OS install, dealing with missing drivers, OS updating issues, etc.

Where I work, we've had to send back several shipments of both Inspiron and Studio notebooks, as well as two XPS notebooks and a number of the desktop models. Say what you want, but Dell's quality control is non-existent. That's exactly why the company's stock is absolutely tanking. Were I Dell's CEO, to quote MIchael Dell, I would "...shut it down and give the money back to the shareholders."
  • Reply 169 of 172
    Quote:

The Apple - Psystar judge might do the same thing, EULA be damned.

The Psystar case has nothing to do with EULAs; Psystar isn't an EU. It's all about copyright infringement and Psystar doesn't have a leg to stand on.
  • Reply 170 of 172
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Don't know if this was posted earlier but speculation is that Dell's offering may be much more expensive so even if it takes the crown as the world's thinnest notebook, it will not compete even closely on price:

http://www.electronista.com/articles....display.leak/
  • Reply 171 of 172
    I have a Dell D650 (work computer) and a MacBook Air. While I agree the Air has some shortcomings, the OS simply makes up for them. I cannot hardly stand my Dell. I probably won't replace this Air with another one, unless an Air 2.0 performs much better. But I would buy a MacBook Pro in a second.

Same goes for the Blackberry/iPhone debate. It's the OS, iTunes and overall integration that simply cannot be beat.

If you must use a Windows=based PC/Laptop, I would look at HP, for some reason they seem to do a better job of harnessing Windows Vista and XP. Another good choice is Lenovo.

Dell makes lackluster computers.
  • Reply 172 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mosqueda View Post

... If you must use a Windows=based PC/Laptop, I would look at HP, for some reason they seem to do a better job of harnessing Windows Vista and XP. ...

If you must use windows, I would look at Apple !