Wal-Mart announces iPhone availability beginning Sunday

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Wal-Mart on Friday formally announced plans to begin carrying the iPhone later this week but will not be selling the device at rock bottom prices as once rumored.

In total, nearly 2,500 Wal-mart stores will carry the Apple handset, selling the 8GB model for $197 and the 16GB model for $297 with a new two-year service agreement from AT&T or qualified upgrade.

Wal-mart also announced that its price match policy allows stores to match the price of any local competitor's advertised store price on the iPhone should one of its rivals announce lower pricing.

"We are delighted to bring customers this ground-breaking mobile technology," said Gary Severson, senior vice president, Entertainment, Walmart. "Our electronics associates have been preparing for many weeks for the arrival of iPhone 3G. We are excited to now help new customers learn more about the features and services that make the iPhone unique."

Once inside a Wal-Mart store, customers can find more information and assistance at the Apple iPhone 3G kiosks located at the Walmart Connection Center in the Home Entertainment department.

Word that Wal-Mart would join Best Buy as the only other third-party US retailer to offer the iPhone first surfaced in October.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    why didn't walmart do this before the holidays?
  • Reply 2 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloodymatzohball View Post

Probably because Apple/ATT/Best Buy would not allow it. Contracts and such.
  • Reply 3 of 40
    Quote:

Cuz everyday's a Holiday at Walmart! Wow, I can save 2 bucks on a iPhone!!
  • Reply 4 of 40
    Buying an Apple product in a WalMart makes the Best Buy experience feel like a trip to Nordstrom's.

My very rare trips to WalMart require a pre-flight check to see if my mental state is strong enough to take the inanity.

gc
  • Reply 5 of 40
    AT&T is the one that should be nervous now that Apple is on board with the Grand Master of all pipelines.
  • Reply 6 of 40
    Well, Wal-Mart already buys most of their products from China to begin with, the iPhone is just another product to toss on the pile.
  • Reply 7 of 40
    any possibility that the activation fee will be waived?

I spoke to someone at Costco's Headquarters on the phone and they said that they are to bring to the iPhone after the first of the year, but they have no idea when

but anyway,

the advantage of buying from costco is that there is no activation fee (When planning to buy 5 iPhones for a whole family, this adds up to good savings)

But if Wal-mart waives their activation fee, I'll walk in today and buy them

anyone have any idea?
  • Reply 8 of 40
    I agree, Walmart is hardly the place to buy and iPhone or TV or some such. But I love the store. It is a great place to walk, and I trust their prices.

A year ago I went to our big grocer here, and my favorite chips were on sale for $2.79. I bought some, of course.

I just happened to go with a friend the same day to Walmart. There they were, my favorite chips, not on sale, $2.50. A good lesson.

I agree with the above. The iPhone fear is the grip of AT&T.
  • Reply 9 of 40
    Increased exposure to Apple products is good.

Hope they really tell people about the increase in their plan price... which where most of the iPhone cost comes.

Can't wait for Apple to get rid of ATT, this will result in lower plan costs..

Wal Mart sells a lot of cheap stuff; the good quality stuff, they sell at a meager discount ($3 ) or is even pricier than their competitors.
  • Reply 10 of 40
    the iPod survived being sold at Walmart, so will the iPhone.

"Cuz everyday's a Holiday at Walmart! Wow, I can save 2 bucks on a iPhone!!"

->buy a hundred, you will save $200.00
  • Reply 11 of 40
    "I agree, Walmart is hardly the place to buy and iPhone or TV or some such."

unless you are willing to trample someone to death for best savings...

OK that was a low blow, but the (american) consumer amazes me.

Walmart sells a lot TVs I believe - many seem quite junky, I think they also they also have good ones, at minimal discounts, as already pointed out
  • Reply 12 of 40
    robb01robb01 Posts: 148member
    and the iPhone will become even more mainstream...

• Reply 13 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fast Fred 1 View Post

Cuz everyday's a Holiday at Walmart! Wow, I can save 2 bucks on a iPhone!!

More importantly, most people don't have to travel out of their way to get one now. Not everyone has an Apple Retail Store, Best Buy or AT&T store around you know. This will get it in the hands a tons of people just like it did with the iPod.
  • Reply 14 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hledgard View Post

I agree, Walmart is hardly the place to buy and iPhone or TV or some such. But I love the store. It is a great place to walk, and I trust their prices.

A year ago I went to our big grocer here, and my favorite chips were on sale for $2.79. I bought some, of course.

I just happened to go with a friend the same day to Walmart. There they were, my favorite chips, not on sale, $2.50. A good lesson.

It just goes to show not everyone has the same taste in walks.
  • Reply 15 of 40
    Quote:

I was wondering the same thing. My guess is that they couldn't get the agreements around, get Wal-Mart employees trained, and possibly even get ample supply in all Wal-Mart stores in time for the Christmas buying season.
  • Reply 16 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

It just goes to show not everyone has the same taste in walks.

Seriously. And here I am taking walks in parks.
  • Reply 17 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hledgard View Post

There is nothing wrong with buying an iPod, iPhone, or TV at WalMart. They carry top brands and they have the same warranties.

As you discovered, groceries are less expensive than supermarkets. Same goes for Target. Another example, Nestle coffee creamer is almost $6 at Vons, but $2 at WalMart! Savings vary by product, but there are some good savings to be had. New Walmarts are very nice inside.

Selling the iPhone at Walmart will make newer models more accessible in the future.
  • Reply 18 of 40
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GordonComstock View Post

My very rare trips to WalMart require a pre-flight check to see if my mental state is strong enough to take the inanity.

• Reply 19 of 40
    Now that Apple has decided to allow the major $2 discount of the iPhone, they'll allow for EPP discounts on them through their website and allow ATT to offer business discounts on service.

Ah, who am I kidding?
  • Reply 20 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by halhiker View Post

Now that Apple has decided to allow the major $2 discount of the iPhone, they'll allow for EPP discounts on them through their website and allow ATT to offer business discounts on service.

Ah, who am I kidding?

Actually, I get a business discount on my iPhone service. All you have to do is call AT&T and use your Corp FAN #, and they'll give you a discount on the monthly service costs.

As for iPhones at Wal-Mart, I say go for it. Simply put, the more that Apple products get put into the hands of a mainstream consumer, the greater the adoption rate, and the better it is for everyone. I've used a lot of smartphones over the years, and the iPhone beats them all hands down.

Cheers!