Apple delays iDisk File Sharing feature of new MobileMe service

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    rmm221rmm221 Posts: 29member
    Yes, I'm not upgrading to MOBILEME until a program is created on the app store or by apple that allows me to use my 20 GB of free space on a "cloud" as a virtual hard drive I can access on the go via 3G connection or WiFi.

I'm sure AT&T won't allow it though because that would me people could be downloading unlimited data from there 20 GB IDISK all day long.

I want to store movies and documents and whatever on my 20GB IDISK as supplemental space to my 8GB iphone. With all the new apps, it's filling up fast.

If this is allowed eventually.. it's well worth $99 a year... otherwise MOBILEME is way over-priced.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wonderbread View Post

Once the service is working will it be possible to make a App that can stream mp3s stored on the iDisk?

and perhaps as importantly; will it be possible to get your music onto iDisk from iTunes?

I imagine it is just a matter of time until an App is released that lets you play music from your Desktop iTunes archive on your iPhone.

• Reply 22 of 40
    rkusarkusa Posts: 3member
    I wasted a lot of time trying to figure out why Sharing wasn't working because Apple has disabled the Search feature in their Support Discussions as of Friday. That was until I read about the support e-mail about it being removed.

Discussion Search still isn't up yet. Makes it really difficult to troubleshoot these MobileMe problems (or any others).
  • Reply 23 of 40
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Good golly, Miss Molly. WTH is Jobs doing during all this?

Hope he's ripping some new orifices.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    smokeonitsmokeonit Posts: 268member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rmm221 View Post

Yes, I'm not upgrading to MOBILEME until a program is created on the app store or by apple that allows me to use my 20 GB of free space on a "cloud" as a virtual hard drive I can access on the go via 3G connection or WiFi.

I'm sure AT&T won't allow it though because that would me people could be downloading unlimited data from there 20 GB IDISK all day long.

I want to store movies and documents and whatever on my 20GB IDISK as supplemental space to my 8GB iphone. With all the new apps, it's filling up fast.

If this is allowed eventually.. it's well worth $99 a year... otherwise MOBILEME is way over-priced.

via the webinterface you can do that already... as long as it's media the iphone can play back, like quicktime, photos or documents, it will show all right in safari!
  • Reply 25 of 40
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

What you're referring to is not a bug but rather a design choice Apple has consciously made

No, what I'm referring to is a much anticipated feature that was prominently marketed by Apple as being included in the product which they then pulled at the last minute or otherwise failed to make clear wasn't going to be included after all despite what they said previously. So whether TM on AirDisk or the MobileMe file sharing, short of making daily printouts of Apple's marketing web pages and comparing them, you'd be hard pressed to have known ahead of time they had pulled the feature.

Should people have purchased an Airport Extreme ahead of the Leopard release based on Apple's marketing that they'd be able to use Time Machine with AirDisk? Perhaps not. But Apple seems to be making a habbit lately of pointing after the fact to the "features are subject to change" fine print of their marketing pages. And then there are the things that they dropped that were part of .Mac that they filed to mention. They said the only things going away were iCards and online bookmarks. What about the groups and homepage features? Or the "push from all devices" that appears to not be true?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by min_t View Post

Apple should have put the "beta" tag to this rollout to alleviate the "postal worker like" lashing from the mob. Did anyone really expect this rollout to go without a hitch? If you guys expect a perfect world, ask God to rollback creation and start over.

Yes, Apple should have put a beta tag on MobileMe (and left .Mac up and running during a transition period). No, I don't expect perfection. But yes, for a paid service I expect a minimal level of service and reliability. I still love Apple and think they are one of the best companies out there. This is the first time in over 2 decades of being a user and customer that they've severely disappointed me. And I hope after they get this mess straightened out it's at least another 2 decades before they do it to me again!
  • Reply 26 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smokeonit View Post

via the webinterface you can do that already... as long as it's media the iphone can play back, like quicktime, photos or documents, it will show all right in safari!

There is a web interface for iDisk even though iDisk has been held back? Assuming your really seeing what we think you're seeing, are you saying that you can view a list of your stored files in Safari on the iPhone and you can click on an mp3 you have stored and Safari will launch that file in the iPhone music player?

Is this right?
  • Reply 27 of 40
    winterspanwinterspan Posts: 605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by min_t View Post

Apple should have put the "beta" tag to this rollout to alleviate the "postal worker like" lashing from the mob. Did anyone really expect this rollout to go without a hitch? If you guys expect a perfect world, ask God to rollback creation and start over.

Hey, you don't know, it could just be us humans who have so many issues... Civilizations on other planets could have residents that are millions of years more evolved than us, no?

Have to wonder what THEIR iPhone-equivalents look like. Well they probably use telepathy at point...
  • Reply 28 of 40
    suhailsuhail Posts: 192member
    MobileMe has more problems than just the loss of the iDisk feature. The Javascript returns numerous errors, on one of my sessions using Mail I got 162 errors (good code should've given zero errors). You can view such errors using the Firefox's plugin FireBug. However, I was pleasantly surprised to learn that they're using Prototype AJAX, which I think is more efficient than dojo.

MobileMe was not ready for release, it is still in early Beta. I don't know why Apple has strayed away from a stricter quality-assurance protocol.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    stokessdstokessd Posts: 103member
    I'm not going to bitch and moan about the service still being spotty. I knew it was spotty when I bit on it. I love the push email, and I suspect that it will allow my wife and I to cut back on our IM plan which will save like $40 a month with our iPhones.

The right thing for apple to do is to credit everybody a few days of service for these spotty times. All they have to do is extend everybody's contract a week or so.

Sheldon
  • Reply 30 of 40
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ronstark View Post

Hey, everyone. Try Yellow Cup Software's FILE CHUTE. IT IS FAB and easy to use. Its been there for a couple of years and you won't care when Apple gets the feature working.

Thanks. I had no idea this existed.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

WTH is Jobs doing during all this? Hope he's ripping some new orifices.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by smokeonit View Post

via the webinterface you can do that already...

Whoa! That must be an upgrade I don't have yet!
  • Reply 32 of 40
    dagamer34dagamer34 Posts: 494member
    Anyone figured out how to install backup for backing up Documents, Pictures, etc.. to MobileMe servers? I know there's a link somewhere on MobileMe but it just takes me to the maintenance page.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    jawportajawporta Posts: 140member
    I hate to say it but when they announced MM I thought to my self, there's no way it's going to work as they say. There's some things Apple does better than anyone and some things they just never get, this may be one of them. I hope I'm wrong.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    samakisamaki Posts: 1member
    I'm surprised that there is relatively little protest about the missing "push from all devices" feature! I feel let down by Apple's misleading advertisement... though there is still hope that things will be functional soon?
  • Reply 35 of 40
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    MobileMe is just another horrible incarnation of .mac. I was hoping they would toss out .mac and start from the ground up but NO! Shame on you Apple!
  • Reply 36 of 40
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    Quote:

Why? He didn't give a damn when thousands of people complained about it for years! They only changed the name from the much better .mac because it became a sullied brand.
  • Reply 37 of 40
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Guys, most people now have MobileMe sync and push up and running quite well. I've been testing it on Mac desktop, iPod Touch with 2.0, and Windows XP with Outlook2003.

It's pretty impressive.

I've done a republish of my websites and photogallery onto Mobile Me, it seems to be working well.

Uploading to iDisk on PC through Mobile Me is quite good now, it used to use the crappy normal Windows explorer WebDAV or something...

Mobile Me IMAP seems alright now.

Overall, Steve has cleaned up .Mac to quite some degree, IMHO.

I'm sure password protected iDisk online sharing etc. will come into play by the end of the month. They're very unlikely to just ditch the whole feature.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

I think what Jobs has done in the past 2 years is really push humankind to the limit of what we can really do and deal with. Therefore I fear he is not long on this Earth, his visionary nature is now growing beyond our capabilities in our current timestream.

Layperson translation:

Most of humanity is to dumb to keep up with Stevie J. He's going to have to start delegating more and letting things take its course, it isn't going to follow *his* plan as much nowadays, not without him being a 300% a**hole.
  • Reply 39 of 40
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rkusa View Post

I wasted a lot of time trying to figure out why Sharing wasn't working because Apple has disabled the Search feature in their Support Discussions as of Friday. That was until I read about the support e-mail about it being removed.

Discussion Search still isn't up yet. Makes it really difficult to troubleshoot these MobileMe problems (or any others).

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought I was losing my mind when I couldn't find the Search box in the Discussions area.

On the other hand, it would be nice if I could even GET INTO the Discussion area today.

What's up with all of this degradation of connection speeds and/or lack of connectivity?
  • Reply 40 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rmm221 View Post

There is a company that has posted an application to the App Store that allows you to wirelessly via Edge, 3G, or WiFi to download files from your iDisk. The Pro version even allows you to remote desktop your mac or PC, and to even edit the files located on your computer/iDisk. The free version can be found at http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...294258237&mt=8 and the Pro version is http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...300676818&mt=8

Happy Downloading!

-Scott