Next-gen iMacs due in January, says paper

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

It is amazing how difficult it is to buy what should be an obvious product.

Dave

I hear that. As for the price on the 16GB SDHC card...got it at Amazon with free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Clas...0504775&sr=8-1

or for other options

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...b+sdhc&x=0&y=0

But I guess I'll be getting a card reader so I can use it on my iMac \
  • Reply 82 of 95
    Quote:

BluRay is certainly a hard sell and likely will decline in sale or stay stagnent for the next couple of years it is simply a poor choice.

Where do you people get your information from?

In the week before Christmas Americans spent 60 Millon Dollars on Blu-Ray disks - 14% of all movies sold that week were on Blu-Ray compared to 86% on DVD. This was actually hailed as a triumph and makes it a 157% rise in sales compared to the previous week.

21% of Dark Knight sales were Blu-Ray.

That my friends is not a sign that Blu-Ray sales are declining or stagnating. They are up, in a big way.

Very soon movies will begin shipping on DVD/Blu-Ray disks that are compatible with existing players, by the end of 2009 expect to see 50% of all movies sold on Blu-Ray.

So please forget this loony idea that Blu-Ray is not the HD format for the next 5 years at least. A crappy "HD" download does not compare in anyway possible to a Blu-Ray disk.
  • Reply 83 of 95
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Murphster View Post

So please forget this loony idea that Blu-Ray is not the HD format for the next 5 years at least. A crappy "HD" download does not compare in anyway possible to a Blu-Ray disk.

Looney or not the fact remains BluRay is way to expensive especially going into a major recession. As to crappy HD that is totally a case of the effort put into the conversion. The only thing that really limits the quality of a download is the file size.

Dave
  • Reply 84 of 95
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Looney or not the fact remains BluRay is way to expensive especially going into a major recession.

The format has done pretty well so far, especially considering a recession that's already 12 months long so far. People seem to be expecting Blu-Ray to beat DVD in terms of time from introduction to mass adoption, unfortunately, the proponents have been fueling some of that. It's a ridiculous expectation that Blu-Ray is supposed to dominate the market by now when it took 4-6 years for DVD to dethrone VHS as the dominant format.

Quote:

As to crappy HD that is totally a case of the effort put into the conversion. The only thing that really limits the quality of a download is the file size.

That's true. I don't know if anyone is providing decent bitrates. iTunes HD is noticeably better than their SD, but I think they need to up their bit rate to 8-10 Mbps to be consistently close enough to other sources of HD, or at least the sources I have access to, and that's TV and Blu-Ray.
  • Reply 85 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

My being too fast on the keys. What I personally find appauling is your lack of substance in this thread. Care to elaborate more on when or where to throw in a semicolon, colon, an apostrophe, or are those the high marks of your grammatical expertise?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hjordis71 View Post

Well, since you mention it, the correct spelling is "appalling".

That is all for now.

Is this really necessary?
  • Reply 86 of 95
    Quote:

Looney or not the fact remains BluRay is way to expensive especially going into a major recession. As to crappy HD that is totally a case of the effort put into the conversion. The only thing that really limits the quality of a download is the file size.

Dave

Cool, and how many 10-20MB movie files is your ISP going to be letting you download a month, and at what cost? The big boys are trying their best to be content providers themselves and will start to penalise customers heavily for heavy use downloading from competing sites. The small players simply cannot afford to give customers huge download limits without capping and charging much more.

You are talking about 100GB bandwidth for just a couple of movies a week. With many ISP's already it would be actually cheaper to buy the disk than it is to download a copy.

The Internet is a long, long, long way from becoming a good model for the distribution of HD content. It is just not feasible and makes no sense. Apple will be forced into introducing Blu-Ray across its entire product line - Probably next month.
  • Reply 87 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Is this really necessary?

Whoever he is he takes the bait easily.
  • Reply 88 of 95
    I hope there are iMac updates, but Apple is way overdue on updates to the mini and mac pro as well. I have been waiting for months to upgrade my machine, if Apple doesn't have something soon I might get impatient and start looking at building a hackintosh.

As for Blu-ray, it is inevitable that it will take over from DVD eventually. The question isn't IF it will happen but rather how long will it take. At some point, the players and disks won't cost any more than DVDs so stores will stop carrying them and there's no real reason for consumers to not buy them.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

All-in-one computers are not wasteful in any way.

I already have a monitor, if I bought an iMac (which I would never do) that perfectly good monitor would go to waste. In that one respect, yes, the mini is more upgradable than an iMac.

I have a monitor but I need to upgrade my computer, which eliminates the iMac. Why is that so hard to understand.

Not that the mini is much better than an iMac, they'd be best off either replacing the mini or adding a midtower to the line with modest expansion and swapping ability.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregoriusM View Post

Whoever said that Snow Leopard will be 64 bit only?

People speculating with no facts to back it up?
  • Reply 89 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

I hear that. As for the price on the 16GB SDHC card...got it at Amazon with free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Clas...0504775&sr=8-1

or for other options

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...b+sdhc&x=0&y=0

But I guess I'll be getting a card reader so I can use it on my iMac \

I probably shouldn't perpetuate an off topic sub-tread like this, but that said, that Transcend brand / SDHC class 6 card is VERY good and very fast. One of two brands & models that work in XDCAM EX cameras with an ExpressCard adapter.
  • Reply 90 of 95
    Quote:

I probably shouldn't perpetuate an off topic sub-tread like this, but that said, that Transcend brand / SDHC class 6 card is VERY good and very fast. One of two brands & models that work in XDCAM EX cameras with an ExpressCard adapter.

Yeah, sorry I got a little off topic there...but you're right and I've been very pleased with the card so far. That's one reason I'm so big on getting a card reader in the new iMac...that would just be the icing on the cake of an otherwise great computer.
  • Reply 91 of 95
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

I hope there are iMac updates, but Apple is way overdue on updates to the mini and mac pro as well. I have been waiting for months to upgrade my machine, if Apple doesn't have something soon I might get impatient and start looking at building a hackintosh.

I already have a monitor, if I bought an iMac (which I would never do) that perfectly good monitor would go to waste. In that one respect, yes, the mini is more upgradable than an iMac.

I have a monitor but I need to upgrade my computer, which eliminates the iMac. Why is that so hard to understand.

I know, I've been waiting to get a new machine as well, and if its a decent iMac or Mac Mini (or something better) thats great... but the current models are way over priced for what they are, too old for me to buy. But why not buy an iMac? why would your monitor go to waste? I may get an iMac, haven't had one since G3 times, but why would that make you throw out your current monitor? do you already have multiple monitors? My current monitor would just get attached to my iMac so i can run 2 monitors... I may get just a mini though, the 9400Ms are decent, and the machine is much cheaper (hopefully)
  • Reply 92 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Murphster View Post

Cool, and how many 10-20MB movie files is your ISP going to be letting you download a month, and at what cost? The big boys are trying their best to be content providers themselves and will start to penalise customers heavily for heavy use downloading from competing sites. The small players simply cannot afford to give customers huge download limits without capping and charging much more.

I think you mean GigaBytes but that isn't my problem as I've dismissed my carrier and no longer have a land line at home. Instead I use my iPhone for simple things and find a fast public WiFi connection for the big transfers. It works OK for now.

Frankly it is my way to protest the high cost of Internet connections and the terrible service.

Quote:

You are talking about 100GB bandwidth for just a couple of movies a week. With many ISP's already it would be actually cheaper to buy the disk than it is to download a copy.

Well hopefully with a change in government the telcos and other providers will be held responsible for their lousy behaviour. The lack of investment is rather appaling in the industry.

Quote:

The Internet is a long, long, long way from becoming a good model for the distribution of HD content. It is just not feasible and makes no sense. Apple will be forced into introducing Blu-Ray across its entire product line - Probably next month.

Actually the Internet works fine. It is not like I download hundreds of movies or other shows each month. It is also incredible cheap via public access.

As a side note the hotels in Vegas offer incredible fast transfers though you are charged for it. Still 25 to 30 GB of files only takes a couple of hours. The reality is the cost was still insignificant relative to the cost of a BluRay disk.

There are some good reasons for Apple to eventually deliver BluRay, those reasons don't revolve around viewing movies though. I just don't see BluRay becoming the force in distribution that DVDs did. There are just to many negatives associated with BluRay.
  • Reply 93 of 95
    Quote:

Not to pull the thread even more off course but which ExpressCard adapter are you using? Further how many SDHC cards does that adapter support?

Dave
  • Reply 94 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Whoever he is he takes the bait easily.

What makes you think I'm a guy?

You led me to the Kool-Aid, I just drank it.
  • Reply 95 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hjordis71 View Post

What makes you think I'm a guy?

You led me to the Kool-Aid, I just drank it.

It covers all bases.