WTF? HP offers Apple compatible Home Server

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple caught navel gazing and admiring the iPhone while HP and Microsoft deliver product that Mac using homes want. News at 11.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1377...?lsrc=rss_main

Quote:

Based on the Microsoft Windows Home Server platform, the HP MediaSmart Server gives users the ability to schedule backups of digital files from computers on the network. You can also use the server as a centralized location for your iTunes Library, with music being available to any networked computer running iTunes.

The server includes HP Photo Publisher, which allows users to upload photos to Facebook, Picasa, and Snapfish. The server is also Time Machine compatible, allowing Mac users to utilize the server as a backup drive.

The HP MediaSmart Server ex485 with a 750GB hard disk is $599 and the HP MediaSmart Server ex487 with a 1.5TB hard disk is $749. The servers will be available for pre-order on January 5, 2009.

Hell I may buy one just for the hell of it seeing as Apple fails to get off it's ass and actually innovate for people that don't have AT&T phone service.

www.hp.com/go/mediasmartserver

Gotta admit thought the Celeron processors SUCK. What was HP thinking? A Celeron?

Comments

• Reply 2 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Gotta admit thought the Celeron processors SUCK. What was HP thinking? A Celeron?

It's a SERVER. It doesn't NEED a cutting edge CPU, so HP is trying to maximize its margins. Normal business practice... very similar to the way Apple chooses CPUs and GPUs for its machines.

Why put a 6.5 GHtz 16-core CPU in a machine that's never gonna max out a Celeron ? (If used for it's intended/marketed purpose.)
  • Reply 3 of 26
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

It's a SERVER. It doesn't NEED a cutting edge CPU, so HP is trying to maximize its margins. Normal business practice... very similar to the way Apple chooses CPUs and GPUs for its machines.

Why put a 6.5 GHtz 16-core CPU in a machine that's never gonna max out a Celeron ? (If used for it's intended/marketed purpose.)

I'm well aware of what a server is King. Celeron = ick to me...thats my cross to bear. The 2GB of RAM is a good thing and this Celeron does support 64-bit so when WHS is based on Windows Server 2008 you'll be fine in that regard.

Makes me wonder if Apple will be ready to field a Home Server of sorts. I still think they should expand on the Time Capsule product. A Home Server should have Wireless routing for ease of setup.

The thing is ...people are going to buy this thing for the sharing and Time Machine support and then Apple's going to come out with something that does mostly what MediaSmart does but in so much more of a slick fashion.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Time Capsule does all the same as far as storage needs, no?
  • Reply 5 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

Time Capsule does all the same as far as storage needs, no?

It could do more, there are plenty of people trying to hack it to become a general NAS device.

Interesting that I should come across this today.

http://9to5mac.com/apple-home-server#comment-24902

Seems Cleve Nettles has heard some rumblings about a potential Media Server from

Apple. It mirrors a lot of what I've been asking for.

http://www.macpredictions.com/2008/0...er-mockup.html

Here's another mockup and discussion.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Boy a MacMini/AppleTV combination would be just the solution as it could do everything this HP box does, and more! But apparently its a stupid idea....
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Boy a MacMini/AppleTV combination would be just the solution as it could do everything this HP box does, and more! But apparently its a stupid idea....

Yes ..for obvious reasons.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Yes ..for obvious reasons.

Obvious BS reasons......
  • Reply 9 of 26
    Quote:

Isn't a Mac Mini already an AppleTV? I guess I'm just not getting
  • Reply 10 of 26
    Quote:

Isn't a Mac Mini already an AppleTV? I guess I'm just not getting

No...it doesn't have HDMI, Component ports, the AppleTV interface, etc. Sure, the MacMini has Front Row, but its not quite the same. If a MacMini was already an AppleTV then there would be no need for Apple to make a separate box.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    Quote:

Obvious BS reasons......

Wow I must have offended. Pardon me.

I think we're both correct here. I see nothing wrong with extending ATV functionality

to the Mac mini. I also see a need for a low cost media extender for homes with multiple

TV, central storage of media etc.

So the best way to handle that would likely be.

1. Low Cost SoC based ATV has to be $150 or less.

2. The ability to match the ATV UI on laptop/desktop macs. Think Take 3 software for say $49.

This way you've covered most areas. If someone wants local storage and optical support they spend the bucks for a mini + Take 3 software.

If someone wants cheap and the ability to stream everything then they have from iTunes they go with the diskless ATV.

Our ideas were never mutually exclusive.

At any rate Apple could boost the use of iTunes content by creating a centralized storage device and making the ability to space shift this content easy. OS X has all the tools to do so...Apple just needs to create it.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    I think adding AppleTV functionality to the MacMini would add more value to it. As it stands...I just don't see it as a good deal. You're better off to buy an iMac unless there are major space issues. And it fixes all the things people are complaining about on the AppleTV. If people want a scaled down, AppleTV, sell the current version with any updated software, but I would only sell the 160GB version. 40GB for video, music, photos, etc is just a complete joke!
  • Reply 13 of 26
    It's really amazing how diverse the market is.

If you're a single guy/gal that just consumes content for yourself a Mac mini running

ATV software and maybe something like Boxee would be all you'd likely need.

If you're in a family of 4 with everyone owning a computer, iphone etc then things get a little hairy. Then it makes sense to build up the home networking infrastructure and consolidate the media.

I have to think that Apple is going to hit these areas in 2009 and once again show how how to leapfrog Microsoft's lead with a product that has that extra spit polish.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    Doesn't apple already have a server?

http://www.apple.com/xserve/
  • Reply 15 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kevzaz View Post

Doesn't apple already have a server?

http://www.apple.com/xserve/

Everyday consumers aren't going to buy heavy duty $3000 enterprise servers just to serve iTunes movies and things like that. Unless...you're rich!
  • Reply 16 of 26
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Now 9 to 5 Mac is posting stuff on this? Wow, this is a big surprise to me. I didn't pay a moments attention to it, thinking Apple would never touch this area, but I could be wrong - as I'm convinced Steve Jobs has something to do with 9 to 5 Mac. These guys seem to just know a little too much sometimes.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    Quote:

Everyday consumers aren't going to buy heavy duty $3000 enterprise servers just to serve iTunes movies and things like that. Unless...you're rich!

ya, but they already know how to make a server. They don't need HP to guide them in the right direction. Apple just needs to make a lesser version of it... like...

Xserve Mini.. =p
  • Reply 18 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Now 9 to 5 Mac is posting stuff on this? Wow, this is a big surprise to me. I didn't pay a moments attention to it, thinking Apple would never touch this area, but I could be wrong - as I'm convinced Steve Jobs has something to do with 9 to 5 Mac. These guys seem to just know a little too much sometimes.

Ireland ...a home server of sorts is an inevitable as a Mac Touch

We're moving to the point were most computers will have SSD storage but HDD will

have the crown in $/GB and overall storage size.

The problems that face the multi computer household are ,part and parcel, the same that businesses faced years ago. Sharing resources is as important to the home user as it is to business.

I heard 9 to 5 was one of the more reliable sites so I loved reading that tidbit.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    Quote:

No...it doesn't have HDMI, Component ports, the AppleTV interface, etc. Sure, the MacMini has Front Row, but its not quite the same. If a MacMini was already an AppleTV then there would be no need for Apple to make a separate box.

Rumor has it that they will be combining these. I have both and can't tell the difference other than minor aesthetics. HDMI port, who cares, I can buy an adapter.

This is why ATV isn't that popular and is "Just a hobby" for Apple. People can get the same content using a Mini as they can with ATV. ATV being cheaper is the only reason anyone buys it
  • Reply 20 of 26
    Quote:

Rumor has it that they will be combining these. I have both and can't tell the difference other than minor aesthetics. HDMI port, who cares, I can buy an adapter.

This is why ATV isn't that popular and is "Just a hobby" for Apple. People can get the same content using a Mini as they can with ATV. ATV being cheaper is the only reason anyone buys it

But you don't get the same experience as you do using an AppleTV. Its all about software, which the MacMini doesn't ship with. FrontRow IS NOT AppleTV! Its a completely different interface with different capabilities. And I don't want to hear about well you can hack the AppleTV software to run on a MacMini either. Everyday consumers aren't going to screw around with hacking software.

People shouldn't be made to buy an adapter to make something like that work. Its like buying a brand new car and then being made to purchase wheels and tires to utilize your purchase. The idea of AppleTV is to connect it to your EXISTING TV. Not everyone will have the ports to connect from a MacMini even with an adapter. Having the correct A/V inputs and outputs is quite important.