Gadget blog juices fears over Steve Jobs' health

Comments

• Reply 41 of 157
    If you play the latest 'Get a Mac' ad backwards, it says "Steve is Dead". Honest! (Hey, would I lie to you???)
  • Reply 42 of 157
    I worked at a Whole Foods Mkt. for a few years in the late 80's/early 90's. There is a certain stereotypical vegan health nut; they can be both thin and a bit crazy. But this is a stereotype, and it's no more true that all vegans are thin and/or crazy than it is that all carnivores are gun-toting rednecks.

Also, it's not clear that the contributors to this thread know the difference between vegetarian and vegan. Vegetarians avoid animal flesh, vegans avoid all animal products, even milk and eggs. True vegans are pretty rare. Nonetheless, it's entirely possible to be healthy on either diet. And weight is a completely independent issue. You don't have to be a carnivore to consume carbs and fat. I've known more than a few vegetarians with a sweet tooth. And take a look at the fat content on soy products-they're not diet items.
  • Reply 43 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

LOL. Did you seriously email that tripe to the SEC?

Apple fanbois are out of control.

What exactly is 'out of control' with a citizen emailing a complaint to a public official?

And, who the heck are you to pronounce judgment on this, anyway?
  • Reply 44 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

Are you for real?

Anyone still holding Apple stock at this stage of the game deserves whatever they get.

In stating something like that, you must have a price prediction in mind. So, if you're for real, why don't you put your money where your mouth is and buy puts on AAPL?

And, tell us how it all panned out at maturity?
  • Reply 45 of 157
    Unfortunately, even with the Reality Distortion Field turned up to 11, anybody is going to look gaunt and emaciated next to Phil Schiller.

I for one welcome the era of morbidly obeese keynote speakers.

Seriously, Steve is healthier than 90% of the fat cat CEOs in America today.

Steve is seen everyday in the cafeteria.

If there was a problem, they wouldn't be able to hide it.

We wouldn't be hearing a single anonymous tipster to a gadget site.

When a real journalist gets multiple sources then it's time to worry.
  • Reply 46 of 157
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacOldTimer View Post

So by your logic every time AppleInsider posts "Rumors" about unsubstantiated rumors about a new Apple product they should be reported to the SEC?

Rumor sites just like this one can and have moved the stock price.

When it gets personal (as in Steve Jobs health) it's illegal to pass along another rumor because the "rumor" is negative?

If Apples stock is tied that closely to Steve's health then Apple needs to make a public announcement (preferably by Steve Jobs) and stop the rumors.

Anything else by Apple would be irresponsible to the stock holders.

It's interesting that no one has commented on this post -- and also the fact that Apple Insider is parroting this story despite the fact that you guys are crying for Gizmodo's head.
  • Reply 47 of 157
    I find the comments today quite weird.

1) Stock market is time invested. Had I purchased Apple Stock when I had the chance I would have made significant return on investment even at today's current price.

2) Many complaints of Jobs in the past seem to not be the case as much now. A) He is showing much more gratitude to those working at Apple. B) He has been sharing the stage more with others who work at apple. I can remember years ago complaining about "What will happen to Apple after Jobs?" or "Jobs is an egotistical jerk." So, Jobs has been the in the process over the last couple of years or reproducing himself.

3) If I'm not mistaken, Jobs doesn't do everything at Apple. So, someone else has to be designing, writing code, testing, coming up with ideas, etc. Apple is not just one man.

4) Timing of new products is important. And nearing or at the bottom of an economic slowdown may not be the best idea to launch a new product that people may not buy, or if they do, will not be in numbers that would make the product a "success." Further, having new products launched just before or at the beginning of major shopping seasons would seem to make more sense.

5) How often has Apple been complained about for showing a new whatever in January, set a target date, missed it, and then ticked everyone off because of the delay? Apple controlling their product launch cycles makes way more sense.

6) Apple has cancelled appearances before, so this is nothing new.

I could be wrong on all this, and I think mostly the comments on AppleInsider are good. But this thread seems way out in left field. Even if his health may be the reason, there seem to be far more reasons that make Apples move a smart move regardless of Jobs health.

Funny how it is in America that we always like to knock down the top dog.
  • Reply 48 of 157
    Looks like the real deal to me

Quote:

Steves health is rapidly declining. Apple is choosing to remove the hype factor strategically vs letting the hype destroy apple when the inevitable news comes later this spring.

Looks like Steve is going to step down later this spring.
  • Reply 49 of 157
    Gizmodo is a joke.

A few hedge funds proly gave them some nice kick-backs for posting the story...at the most random time ever.

also jizmodo is owned by the big corporates.....they proly needed to drive the traffic up..to keep their endless supply of web searchers , i mean bloggers, i mean journalists.
  • Reply 50 of 157
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

In stating something like that, you must have a price prediction in mind. So, if you're for real, why don't you put your money where your mouth is and buy puts on AAPL?

And, tell us how it all panned out at maturity?

Yes, that's what it's going to take to get me back into the market during this economy -- an anonymous challenge from some internet nerd.
  • Reply 51 of 157
    aakaaaka Posts: 17member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by McDavies View Post

One day Steve will leave. It's going to happen. He won't be 150 and running the company.

Exactly. I think that for a few minutes maybe a couple of hours Apple's stock will go down (maybe that is a buying opportunity) and then the market will realize that Apple is fine without Steve and everything will be fine.

Steve Jobs is going to be a hard act to follow but imagine if you are the man who drove Apple to a greater height after Steve? You will walk on water!!!!!!

Arvi
  • Reply 52 of 157
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iOrlando View Post

Gizmodo is a joke.

A few hedge funds proly gave them some nice kick-backs for posting the story...at the most random time ever.

Really? Then what is AI receiving for covering it? I've noticed that other Apple-oriented sites haven't touched the story yet.

"Proly"?
  • Reply 53 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

Really? Then what is AI receiving for covering it? I've noticed that other Apple-oriented sites haven't touched the story yet.

"Proly"?

thought the same..... proly...you know probably....

macrumors is the best apple rumors site out there...run by arnold kim...and he knows better to touch the crap rumor.
  • Reply 54 of 157
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Gadget blog Gizmodo is causing a stir this afternoon with a new report alleging that Apple has mislead the public about the reasons behind its exit from Macworld Expo, claiming Steve Jobs' deteriorating health is to blame for the matter.

Pernicious bloody speculation
  • Reply 55 of 157
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloodymatzohball View Post

hmm, I am starting to believe it is possibly true that he has a health problem. If this is proven, I think it could possibly be very bad for apple if he dies (god forbid). I thought all of these were just rumors, but I think there are just too many too ignore anymore. I think apple needs to tell us something. NOW.

Dude they keep saying he's fine, what the heck do you want them to say, that he's not, or I guess they are lying, why the heck should the man have to give the details of his health to the whole word, I feel sorry for the dude, this must be traumatizing for him.
  • Reply 56 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

LOL. Did you seriously email that tripe to the SEC?

Apple fanbois are out of control.

Look at this one, why shouldn't he email it, some of your are utterly ridicilous, I doubt if it was your health that people were "gossiping" about on the internet, you sure as heck wouldn't like it.
  • Reply 57 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

He's also a hard core Vegan. Hard to maintain any real body weight when you don't eat real food.

no he's a pescatorian, eats fish but not meat.
  • Reply 58 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Yeah, if Jobs' health was in jeopardy then I would believe he would be stepping down from the CEO role and even from the board.

It is strange that we have not publicly seen Steve in awhile and if he doesn't at least pop-in via video link at MacWorld then I'd give more credit to these reports.

So when is he supposed to show up, is he supposed to give a live a video conference every week showing that he's a live, wasn't he at the notebook event and their earnings report, I guess the guy should be walking the mall so that everybody know he's fine.
  • Reply 59 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacOldTimer View Post

So by your logic every time AppleInsider posts "Rumors" about unsubstantiated rumors about a new Apple product they should be reported to the SEC?

Rumor sites just like this one can and have moved the stock price.

When it gets personal (as in Steve Jobs health) it's illegal to pass along another rumor because the "rumor" is negative?

If Apples stock is tied that closely to Steve's health then Apple needs to make a public announcement (preferably by Steve Jobs) and stop the rumors.

Anything else by Apple would be irresponsible to the stock holders.

What a dumb azz coment, why don't you come out and give your private health information out in public.
  • Reply 60 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaka View Post

Exactly. I think that for a few minutes maybe a couple of hours Apple's stock will go down (maybe that is a buying opportunity) and then the market will realize that Apple is fine without Steve and everything will be fine.

Steve Jobs is going to be a hard act to follow but imagine if you are the man who drove Apple to a greater height after Steve? You will walk on water!!!!!!

Arvi

history...

Steve founds Apple = Apple does well

Steve leaves Apple = Apple does bad

Steve comes back = Apple does good

Steve leaves again = ?????

that is why there is worry about his health.

I think Apple's lack of 'outright dismissal' of this rumour speaks volumnes, they are still pushing the same line from when the first MW announcement was made.

If SJ is well then all he has to do is appear at a press conference and say he's fine. He's the CEO FFS!! its his job to do that...protect the stock.