Gadget blog juices fears over Steve Jobs' health

Comments

• Reply 61 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

What a dumb azz coment, why don't you come out and give your private health information out in public.

becuase he doesn't have to do it..legally..like some people do!

I also think Giz must be happy with their source or they wouldn't print it. Getting this... badly wrong could finish them.
  • Reply 62 of 157
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:

What a dumb azz coment, why don't you come out and give your private health information out in public.

Why don't you take your blinders off -- his point still stands. You people are jumping all down Gizmodo's throat for posting this "rumor", but I don't see any backlash against Apple Insider for propagating the "rumor". Where are the letters to the SEC about Apple Insider spreading "rumors".

That being said, I agree with him. Apple Insider posts rumors about Apple and Apple-related topics ALL OF THE DAMN TIME. And they have on more than one occasion posted about Steve Jobs's health be it substantiated or not. So now that Gizmodo does a big story on it, people go ape s**t and start huffing and puffing.

Get over yourselves, IT'S JUST A COMPANY!!! Steve Jobs isn't your friend. Apple isn't your friend. You folks take this stuff way too personally.
  • Reply 63 of 157
    The last time I remember this much rampant speculation about someone's health was when rock fans were wondering about the health rumors of Freddie Mercury.

Oh wait, maybe that's a bad example.

There's got to have been someone out there who's seen the guy in the past couple months. We get pictures of Obama walking around without a shirt, can't the paparazzi back of Britney and get some Steve shots instead?
  • Reply 64 of 157
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    A hit piece written by hack lacking ability and credibility.
  • Reply 65 of 157
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

LOL. Did you seriously email that tripe to the SEC?

Apple fanbois are out of control.

So are the Apple haters, case in point.

Quote:

Exactly. Trying to blame the stock price decline of AAPL on a news story about something that EVERYBODY already knows, which is that Steve Jobs has cancer and is not healthy, while ignoring that Apple is a luxury company during a depression, is frankly moronic.

Weren't you one of those that said that Apple's profits and sales volume were going to decline in this recession? And you're continuing this kind of talk despite the fact that they've both consistently grown by leaps and bounds in the last four quarters being recession? You're now also calling it a depression, it's not yet and no one really knows that's going to happen, it's all either fears or fear mongering.
  • Reply 66 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

Steve's not gonna let the Grim Reaper take him until he's damn well ready.

I thought heard that Steve fired him. Was real nasty about it, too.
  • Reply 67 of 157
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archipellago View Post

Quote:

becuase he doesn't have to do it..legally..like some people do!

Who is publicly compelled to report their health?
  • Reply 68 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Who is publicly compelled to report their health?

A CEO of a listed company if he/she believes it materially affects them doing their job.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/26/bu...QnUY3A9yNO0GsQ

“The question surrounding any kind of corporate disclosure always is: Is it material?” said Larry S. Gondelman, a lawyer with Powers Pyles Sutter & Verville. “And there is no bright line test in determining materiality.” A spokesman for the Securities and Exchange Commission said that the law defined materiality as information that “the reasonable investor needs to know in order to make an informed decision about his investment.”

bearing in mind the enormous credit Jobs is given for Apple's recent upsurge, I think it would be disingenious to suggest that his health is immaterial.
  • Reply 69 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wozzienet View Post

I find the comments today quite weird.

3) If I'm not mistaken, Jobs doesn't do everything at Apple. So, someone else has to be designing, writing code, testing, coming up with ideas, etc. Apple is not just one man.

Apple certainly needs someone with vision steering the boat, to keep it ahead of the pack and to keep forcing the company to innovate rather than imitate, but you are right - Apple has a ton of corporate momentum moving in the right direction.
  • Reply 70 of 157
    Quote:

Exactly. Trying to blame the stock price decline of AAPL on a news story about something that EVERYBODY already knows, which is that Steve Jobs has cancer and is not healthy, while ignoring that Apple is a luxury company during a depression, is frankly moronic.

You probably think people are arbitrarily associating this rumor with Apple's general stock price. Did you see this today?

The spike down is from the rumor. That spike cost options and day traders massive amounts of money, and made other people a lot of money. If gizmodo is found to have manipulated the market for gain, those people will go to prison. This is a big deal.

Now who's the moron? Go learn a few things about the stock market before you post.
  • Reply 71 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by McHuman View Post

You probably think people are arbitrarily associating this rumor with Apple's general stock price. Did you see this today?

The spike down is from the rumor. That spike cost options and day traders massive amounts of money, and made other people a lot of money.

Now who's the moron? Go learn a few things about the stock market before you post.

given whats happened this year to all stock markets you could argue that anyone with ANY involvement in the stock market is a moron.

Betting with fraudsters will never be successful.
  • Reply 72 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

Are you for real?

Anyone still holding Apple stock at this stage of the game deserves whatever they get.

For every seller, there's a buyer. So, yes, "anyone" is still holding Apple stock.
  • Reply 73 of 157
    Of course AppleInsider is also to blame for spreading this bullshit rumor beyond Gizmodo.
  • Reply 74 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archipellago View Post

given whats happened this year to all stock markets you could argue that anyone with ANY involvement in the stock market is a moron.

Betting with fraudsters will never be successful.

I lost money this year with other people, but I'm still way richer than any of my friends and coworkers who have been too scared in the past decade to play the game. The only moron is someone who doesn't invest or save their cash, because it gets slaughtered against inflation without them even knowing it.
  • Reply 75 of 157
    Quote:

Look at this one, why shouldn't he email it, some of your are utterly ridicilous, I doubt if it was your health that people were "gossiping" about on the internet, you sure as heck wouldn't like it.

You are correct. I'd do the responsible thing for the company and the stock holders and hold a press conference to put the subject to rest.

Apple nor Steve Jobs has done the responsible thing and are acting irresponsible by not doing so.
  • Reply 76 of 157
    Steve Jobs will get well when the Hedgefunds and Short Sellers cover and go long on Apple. At that time, I'm sure they will announce a complete cure to pump the stock.

They've ground Apple stock down for a year with the help of writers and analysts that love reporting a problem whether it's real or not! It's all BuLL!
  • Reply 77 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

Yes, that's what it's going to take to get me back into the market during this economy -- an anonymous challenge from some internet nerd.

Heh heh. I guess you need to google the phrase 'put options.'

And, geniuses like you only prove the old dictum that talk - esp. anonymous talk in internet forums like these - is cheap.
  • Reply 78 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by McHuman View Post

The spike down is from the rumor. That spike cost options and day traders massive amounts of money, and made other people a lot of money. If gizmodo is found to have manipulated the market for gain, those people will go to prison. This is a big deal.

Then so will AppleInsider for continuing to spread the rumor.

They are simply quoting an unsubstantiated rumor. That isn't illegal or this site would have been shut down years ago.

Apple needs to do the right thing and have Steve Jobs hold a press conference.

It's either Steve's arrogance or his health that are stopping this.

Either way it's Apple's responsibility to address the issue.
  • Reply 79 of 157
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    LA Times is now running the story based on Gizmodo's piece:

Quote:

Another day, another Steve-Jobs-is-sick rumor to drive down Apple's stock price.

Gizmodo, the well-respected gadget blog, reported today that a source who has been reliable in the past said Jobs' health was "rapidly declining" and that the Apple chief executive's health troubles were the real reason why he wouldn't give the keynote address at the Macworld Conference & Expo next Tuesday.

The Gizmodo report, though hedged by the blog as unconfirmed, reversed Apple's stock gain on the day (shares had been trading up but then fell before closing at $86.29, down 32 cents. Tom Petruno at the Money & Co. blog notes that day traders may have seen opportunity in the renewed concern about the health of Apple's high-profile CEO, who fought off pancreatic cancer a few years ago and has appeared gaunt recently.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/tech...jobs-illn.html

And The Street:

Quote:

SAN FRANCISCO -- So much for any future one-on-one interviews with Apple(HMC Quote - Cramer on HMC - Stock Picks) CEO Steve Jobs running on the tech blog Gizmodo. Citing a "solid source," the blog decided Tuesday to go where few have wanted to tread: pronouncing publicly that Jobs' health is declining rapidly. Gizmodo's source, who the blog says has been "100% correct" when passing along product scoops, says this is why Jobs wouldn't give his traditional keynote address at the company's MacWorld Expo in January, as the company announced earlier this month.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/10455...cm_ven=GOOGLEN
  • Reply 80 of 157
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:

So when is he supposed to show up, is he supposed to give a live a video conference every week showing that he's a live, wasn't he at the notebook event and their earnings report, I guess the guy should be walking the mall so that everybody know he's fine.

No. A major Apple event would suffice to quell the shareholders from bailing and taking the stock down to the teens once more though.