Gadget blog juices fears over Steve Jobs' health

Comments

• Reply 81 of 157
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Wow.

Dave (if that's your name), I am seriously shocked.

Yeah it is my real name. So don't be too shocked!

Quote:

I had you pegged as a very smart and insightful guy based on your comments on other articles in this forum. You sound like a seriously insane "tin-hat brigade" member here.

Why is that? You can't seriously believe the media was impartial during the last election can you? that includes reporting on the electioneering, the stare of the economy and the state of the political world outside of the USA. If you don't believe there was a concerted effort to force a liberal government upon the American people than you really need to sit down and review what happened last year.

Quote:

"... obviously manipulated ... election of a liberal government?" Seriously?

As to the state of the banking industry and its exposure to mortgage defaults yeah that is in part directly related to government policies. Unfortunately policies put forward by both the Democrats and Republicans that for a number of reasons that we won't cover here had no hope of success.

Quote:

Very disappointing.

I don't think you will feel that way if you step back and look at what is and has happened with the mortgage industry. You should also wonder why there has been zip in the way of legal action taken against the mortgage institutions. Dig deep enough you will find a lot of government manipulation of the industry in the name of social justice and other stupid policies.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

But enough of that, I'd like to get back to why people think that Apple as a stock is a good value right now. It just doesn't add up in my mind. Granted I don't play the market like some of you in these forums, but isn't the whole idea of investing in a stock at a specific price based on the idea that you can reap a reward in the future for your investment that is better than the alternatives?

It is for this reason that I see Apple shares becoming more depressed over time. If you are in the market to make money there are simply better choices than Apple. Especially at a time when it appears that Apple is stumbling a bit. Funny thing is the market might agree with me as Apple is down today when many stocks are up.

Dave
  • Reply 82 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

LA Times is now running the story based on Gizmodo's piece:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/tech...jobs-illn.html

And The Street:

http://www.thestreet.com/story/10455...cm_ven=GOOGLEN

Someone needs to email the SEC about the LA Times article. Off with their heads. The editor's should be fired.

Quote "Gov. Rod Blagojevich" He's as off as most in this room.
  • Reply 83 of 157
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacOldTimer View Post

Someone needs to email the SEC about the LA Times article. Off with their heads. The editors should be fired.

Quote "Gov. Rod Blagojevich" He's as off as most in this room.

And here's a CNBC piece saying Gizmodo's article is "flimsy" at best:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/28437017
  • Reply 84 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mi_sat View Post

For every seller, there's a buyer. So, yes, "anyone" is still holding Apple stock.

Great point. (Currently, there are 889 million shares being held by that 'anyone'!)
  • Reply 85 of 157
    Quote:

Wow.

Dave (if that's your name), I am seriously shocked.

I had you pegged as a very smart and insightful guy based on your comments on other articles in this forum. You sound like a seriously insane "tin-hat brigade" member here.

"... obviously manipulated ... election of a liberal government?" Seriously?

Very disappointing.

I have to agree.... you can't honestly think that Apple is overvalued.... is it because they come up with totally awesome and useful products time and time again, or is it because they have the lowest R&D budget for their innovations.... I mean really, come on! Ford???? In what respect has Ford brought to the market that was unique and insanely awesome that blew your pants off? Maybe it was their "Ford Five Hundred/Taurus/Oh god what can we rename this car again now" car that sadly sits in showrooms kicking the dust around. If Apple was overvalued then sure enough Ford was too, just look at the stocks....
  • Reply 86 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

But enough of that, I'd like to get back to why people think that Apple as a stock is a good value right now. It just doesn't add up in my mind. Granted I don't play the market like some of you in these forums, but isn't the whole idea of investing in a stock at a specific price based on the idea that you can reap a reward in the future for your investment that is better than the alternatives?

It is for this reason that I see Apple shares becoming more depressed over time. If you are in the market to make money there are simply better choices than Apple. Especially at a time when it appears that Apple is stumbling a bit. Funny thing is the market might agree with me as Apple is down today when many stocks are up.

Dave

In what way is Apple stumbling compared to alternatives? Can you be more specific?
  • Reply 87 of 157
    A rumor site exasperating another rumor from another rumor site.....

Engadget.com RULES...over gizmodo
  • Reply 88 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

He's also a hard core Vegan. Hard to maintain any real body weight when you don't eat real food.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

couldn't agree more with the second comment.

I guess some people love to prove it by opening their mouths.. whats next cancer ALWAYS kills people, said with total conviction by a troll who has never had cancer, nor never come into contact with anyone else who has.

asshating seems to be a popular past time by many idiots.

--

Steve Jobs beat cancer, what more do you want? eternal youth?
  • Reply 89 of 157
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

You are simply amazing, I have to say. Anyone who believes that the incredible economic mess now befalling the world is a fiction

There is a difference than fiction and a manipulation. The issues with the mortgage industries where known for at least a couple of years before the meltdown. Possibly longer than that. It can be argued that Congress pushed back on the acknowledging the problem to gain political advantage in the coming election. lets face it the well time melt down took peoples minds off the war in Iraq which was actually going well enough not to be an election problem.

The flip side is that part of the problem with failed mortgages are also a direct result of political pressure to make loans more affordable and easier to get for people with questionable financial backgrounds. This was a big thing in the last couple of years on both the local and national levels in the guise of social justice and other ignorant concepts.

Quote:

is capable of anything, like voting for a Bush to be their president - oh, you already did that three times eh? Give me a minute and I will try and think up something equally outrageous and unbelievable you might be capable of, but that one is going to be hard to top.

Instead take a minute to get involved in the news of the day. You will see evidence of this mindset even today after the mortgage melt down. Has anybody local to you in the political establishment suggested that government needs to do more to make loans affordable and easier to get? I've sen such nonsense as recently as a couple of weeks ago.

It is not outrageous to sit back and look at the evidence. The mortgage melt down didn't just happen because of a few management mistakes, there was a lot of manipulation by people with zip in the way of understanding about economics.

Dave
  • Reply 90 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

Yeah, Apple really wants to go through more court cases, investigations and fines, especially after the options scandal. If Jobs is materially sick, Apple will disclose it. Everything else is just bullshit.

here's the catch. Apple is not Steve Jobs. it is not some Borg Collective where Steve does all the thinking, all the designing, the research, the testing etc and everyone else just mindlessly does the grunt work.

IF Steve were to die tomorrow the only thing that would happen is that Apple would lose their spokesperson. After a few days of mourning, the company goes on, perhaps with WWSD as the new mantra for a little while but nonetheless without him.

Because Steve has gathered together people he believes can carry on without him. He has fired them up with a concise vision and path for the foreseeable future and all that jazz. The company won't grind to a halt like a hive without the queen bee.

And Steve has been trying to point this out to folks for a while by bringing others on the stage with him. So this really isn't anything new. Nor is the trade show talk. Apple has been cutting back for a while. The only thing this is going to hurt is the company that runs Macworld, now they will have to come up with something new. but even they should have figured this was bound to happen.

Steve hasn't told every last detail of his life because the man has a right to some privacy. Until the surgery failed and he was given 3 months to live, no one needed to know. Why crash the stock over something that turned out to be nothing. Same for the second surgery, in the end, it's nothing. Move on, nothing to see here folks.

People like Gizmodo need to get other themselves. Lets not forget that this isn't the first time some insider pulled a chicken little and killed the stock value and it was all something from out of his butt.
  • Reply 91 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xcoder View Post

As far as macworld goes, I will definitely miss Macworld keynotes!

but on the flip. would you rather have

A. Two big conferences a year and all the releases held until those events where they can make a huge splash

or

B. Several smaller local news conferences held right at Apple's campus and broadcast live for the rest of the world where things are released as they are ready.

I'll take B myself.
  • Reply 92 of 157
    Quote:

I think it's true that if Apple is lying on this that there are serious legal implications, and thus I don't believe the story.

I"m not so sure about legal implications because I"m not certain that Apple is legally required to banish Jobs right to privacy.

but it would have an effect on the company's rep and value and a lot of folks would probably blaze to sell their stock out of disgust.

maybe Apple should just start suing the folks that are posting these 'rumors', claiming slander/libel. they can use the winnings in all their suits over patent violations etc
  • Reply 93 of 157
    kenckenc Posts: 195member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

It's a simple fact of statistics that fewer than 5% of people diagnosed with pancreatic cancer are still alive 5 years later.

...apparently. Steve did not have your run-of-the-mill pancreatic cancer. He had one that was surgically treatable. You are applying the WRONG stat to Steve's cancer.
  • Reply 94 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cygnusrk727 View Post

Has Jobs been spotted in public recently?

He had cancer. He had a radical surgery because of the cancer. He looked like crap the last time he was seen in public. And he doesn't like his health to be made public. I don't know if the story has any validity, but his outlook can't be that great.

He HAD cancer. He also had a surgery that totally removed it years ago.

perhaps he is thin because he stopped eating a bunch of crappy fattening food etc. and not because he's going to kick it any day now.
  • Reply 95 of 157
    kenckenc Posts: 195member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

Exactly. Trying to blame the stock price decline of AAPL on a news story about something that EVERYBODY already knows, which is that Steve Jobs has cancer and is not healthy, while ignoring that Apple is a luxury company during a depression, is frankly moronic.

...as Steve "HAD" cancer. And, not "everybody already knows", since you didn't. Who's "moronic"?
  • Reply 96 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacJello View Post

The claim is being made that canceling future MacWorlds is a result of Steve's health. That's absurd. Health COULD be a possible reason for Steve dropping out this year,

I will believe these rumors when someone comes up with proof. Show me hospital records that Steve has cancer again, or anything else. If it's true, there's some kind of paper trail. Find it. then I will believe any of it.

Fact is that Steve is not the end all and be all of Apple and all these sites and business writers etc need to figure this out. Judge the company by what they make and do, not by the guy who is the spokesperson.

Also, the name of the game is profit. when a company does things like trade shows it is because the move is cost effective in the game of making more money and thus more profit. A number of companies have dropped doing Macworld and other trade shows because it's too expensive for the benefit to the holy profit margin. why when Adobe etc do it, is it a smart business move but when Apple does, it is a sign of doom and a validator of a bunch of stupid rumors.
  • Reply 97 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Gadget blog Gizmodo is causing a stir this afternoon with a new report alleging that Apple has mislead the public about the reasons behind its exit from Macworld Expo, claiming Steve Jobs' deteriorating health is to blame for the matter.

The online publication cites a source which has reportedly been "100% correct" when providing information and photographs of unreleased Apple products in the past. This source is now said to have passed on information charging Apple with misrepresenting the reasons behind its pullout from future Macworlds and the cancelation of Jobs' keynote address at next week's show.

So now blogging has stoop below the standards of the National Enquirer? It must be, indeed, a slow news day. No different than standing in a slow check-out line, nothing else to keep oneself occupied while waiting, the National Enquirer is conveniently within reach.
  • Reply 98 of 157
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archipellago View Post

becuase he doesn't have to do it..legally..like some people do!

I also think Giz must be happy with their source or they wouldn't print it. Getting this... badly wrong could finish them.

Where in Steve Job's job description does it state he has to give a weekly appearance or broadcast his private health.
  • Reply 99 of 157
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Why don't you take your blinders off -- his point still stands. You people are jumping all down Gizmodo's throat for posting this "rumor", but I don't see any backlash against Apple Insider for propagating the "rumor". Where are the letters to the SEC about Apple Insider spreading "rumors".

That being said, I agree with him. Apple Insider posts rumors about Apple and Apple-related topics ALL OF THE DAMN TIME. And they have on more than one occasion posted about Steve Jobs's health be it substantiated or not. So now that Gizmodo does a big story on it, people go ape s**t and start huffing and puffing.

Get over yourselves, IT'S JUST A COMPANY!!! Steve Jobs isn't your friend. Apple isn't your friend. You folks take this stuff way too personally.

Where did I mention gizmodo anywhere?

Where did I mention anything about Steve Jobs or Apple being my friend, some of you are just full of it. Because Im showing my concern for a fellow human being you have the audacity to write what you just wrote. Steve Jobs should not have to give updates to priave health, if you dont like it, too bad.
  • Reply 100 of 157
    IF Mr. jobs is fine why wouldn't he simply hold a 10 minute news conference with a reporter of his choosing, at a location of his choosing, at a time of his choosing to calm fears of his being ill?!

Convention participation is one issue. Steve's health or well being is another.

This can be really easy and simple. Why hide or be absent?

If anything the manner in which this is all being managed does not bode well for Apple.

The more important the person the more his supporters need to know FROM HIM that his well being is good.

Something is not right. The truth always shows itself.

Patience!