WTF? HP offers Apple compatible Home Server

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kevzaz View Post

ya, but they already know how to make a server. They don't need HP to guide them in the right direction. Apple just needs to make a lesser version of it... like...

Xserve Mini.. =p

I guess I misunderstood what you were trying to get at. My bad...
  • Reply 22 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Gotta admit thought the Celeron processors SUCK. What was HP thinking? A Celeron?

What the hell's wrong with the processor? Christ. Some of you people have to be snobs about f*cking everything.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    Only issue with the processor is power consumption. Looks like ZDnet tests show 72 watts of power usage as opposed to claimed 65 watts. SMall difference but as a 24X7 device, as little power use as possible would be the aim. The HP has a great price and putting in 4 spindles of 1TB drive makes it a very attractive TC Pro for me!. And it serves Windows too with WHS features.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

It could do more, there are plenty of people trying to hack it to become a general NAS device.

Interesting that I should come across this today.

http://9to5mac.com/apple-home-server#comment-24902

Seems Cleve Nettles has heard some rumblings about a potential Media Server from

Apple. It mirrors a lot of what I've been asking for.

http://www.macpredictions.com/2008/0...er-mockup.html

Here's another mockup and discussion.

That I would have a lot of use for. AppleTV, wireless-N router, and media server all in one.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

What the hell's wrong with the processor? Christ. Some of you people have to be snobs about f*cking everything.

That was nice.

Could have asked him to explain himself and then disagreed if you wanted...
  • Reply 26 of 26
    I don't get it.

Windows for server? Then you need AV+subscription and Firewall, oh and patience to fight.

It is NOT for home users for sure, it needs to be maintenance-free, secure and easy, not easy alone.

Definitely Apple could bake something nice.

I haven't been in the market recently, but i remember nice standalone devices available with linux, easy web management built-in, no fans and consuming 100W total. IMO much better until Apple serves us.