Apple's iWork suite rumored to go web-based

Comments

• Reply 21 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Another problem with these "cloud" apps... if you have no net access, you're out of luck. Several power outages recently have really brought that home for me.

Beyond issues of accessibility, what about security? My god, it's amazing to me that we live in a world where hackers routinely bring down even some of the biggest sites and where we read about security and viruses daily and yet everyone is all hyped up to start storing their personal data and work out there in "the Cloud" (a buzzword that I've heard just about enough of already.)

Yeah, right. I'm no Luddite, but count me way the hell out of that plan.
  • Reply 22 of 75
    Quote:

Not liking this idea.

I'm with you.

The web based apps I have used (and subscribe to) suck. Once again, the MicroS--t theory - "be everything to everybody"

I guess all web based app designers think everyone is running a T3 to the bathroom.

I bought it I want to OWN it!... guess I'm just too picky.
  • Reply 23 of 75
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:

Not liking this idea.

Me neither. Looks like I'll be buying Office for the Mac from the Microsoft store afterall if that happens.
  • Reply 24 of 75
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I agree. Mobile me is not working properly now even. What they really need to do with Mobile is make it a free service. Would actually be a good business move. All automatic and free.

1) Free with no ads makes it a cost center for Apple, which means that complaints about its current updates would increase.

2) Free would mean that any and all would sign up for it, with means it would slow down considerably. Remember the first week of MM when the servers were bogged down?
  • Reply 25 of 75
    Frankly I don't ever want my applications to be in the "cloud" If I can't run them on my computer I don''t need, will not use, them even if they are free.
  • Reply 26 of 75
    Yikes, not liking this idea. I second the notion that I don't want my apps in the cloud.
  • Reply 27 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) Free with no ads makes it a cost center for Apple, which means that complaints about its current updates would increase.

2) Free would mean that any and all would sign up for it, with means it would slow down considerably. Remember the first week of MM when the servers were bogged down?

Yeah, I don't want it to be free.

I want them to give me something for the money I already pay besides syncing my bookmarks, the ability to let grandma see family photos on the web, and a bad email application.
  • Reply 28 of 75
    if this web based suite is a sh*tty as mobile me then they can keep it!

keep it in the lab a while longer to make sure it really works.

mobile me is still sh*t. wiped out my entire contacts/calendar last week! LOL!!! on me.com, iphone and MBP. -- thank goodness I use Daylite and was able to retrieve my data.

love Apple however web-based Apple - I'm not convinced just yet!
  • Reply 29 of 75
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

I agree. Mobile me is not working properly now even. What they really need to do with Mobile is make it a free service. Would actually be a good business move. All automatic and free.

The problem with free is you have no leverage to petition for improvement. Your complaints will eventually lead to "it's free if you don't like it don't use it" I like my vendors to be a little more accountable.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Me neither. Looks like I'll be buying Office for the Mac from the Microsoft store afterall if that happens.

Shudder...if iWork goes to web only Office 2008 will be my next likely step <tears>

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

I want them to give me something for the money I already pay besides syncing my bookmarks, the ability to let grandma see family photos on the web, and a bad email application.

Exactly ...MobileMe needs to expand to the point where it's almost assumed that a new user will sign up.
  • Reply 30 of 75
    Rather than make MobileMe a free-for-all, Apple should give away free service with every Apple purchase...

professional Mac = 2 year

consumer Mac = 1year

iPhone or iPod touch = 6 months

iPod, Airport, AppleTV = 3 months

instead of those worthless coupons, give us something of substance.
  • Reply 31 of 75
    "Apple may build on its success in delivering web-based applications for its .Mac internet service"

THAT, is a total joke. I love Apple as much as the next guy around here, but that statement is beyond laughable.

Now on to the rumor:

1. If this is in lieu of iWork 09 on the desktop, I suspect Apple has lost its mind. iWork is evolving into an incredible suite--note perfect, but truly incredible. It will be a killer asset to the Mac platform. Given Apple is a smart company, I think this can't be true.

2. If this is in addition to a desktop suite, I think Apple is losing focus. Get iWork 09 to insanely great status and give us iPhone iWork apps first.
  • Reply 32 of 75
    I've been anticipating iWork 09 for so long. If it was to become a web app only that would certainly start 2009 off very wrong.
  • Reply 33 of 75
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    I'm afraid that Apple have tried to transfer their high-tech approach to web apps, whereas what is needed to make things 'just work' on the internet ( or any shared technology space ) is low-tech. I struggled endlessly to get MobileMe to work using Safari on Vista ( I have a Macbook now thank god ) and no-one in my family has ever been able to view the photos I posted to my MobileMe gallery. I think the best web app ever was Hotmail, before Microsoft starting trying to 'improve' it. Just plain old HTML with an engine in the background is going to work on everything. On the net, keep it simple, and old.
  • Reply 34 of 75
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That's a lot of crap.
  • Reply 35 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Oh God, Apple's doing something fucking right. Excuse me while I go vomit.
  • Reply 36 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

The problem with free is you have no leverage to petition for improvement. Your complaints will eventually lead to "it's free if you don't like it don't use it"

How bad would that be. So, more people would complain how crap the service is? Shocker. Could we survive it? Wow.
  • Reply 37 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Rather than make MobileMe a free-for-all, Apple should give away free service with every Apple purchase...

professional Mac = 2 year

consumer Mac = 1year

iPhone or iPod touch = 6 months

iPod, Airport, AppleTV = 3 months

Please, I am not being pimped by Mobile me. It's either free or it's not, it's that simple. It should be free. It should be.
  • Reply 38 of 75
    Quote:

Wow, how bad that would be. So more people would complain how crap the service is? Shocker. Could we survive it? Wow.

Difference is you couldn't do shit about it. What are you going to do take your $.00 elsewhere?
  • Reply 39 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Difference is you couldn't do shit about it. What are you going to do take your $.00 elsewhere?

Yes. It should be free, $99 is an embarrassment at this stage. Step off that fanboi stage please.
  • Reply 40 of 75
    Yesterday I attempted to convert some old AppleWorks documents to Pages, and was reminded why I usually don't use iWork. First, there was no obvious way to make this conversion, leaving me to cut and paste. Then having to deal with formatting problems afterward, including the non-intuitive way of creating Left Tabs. Ultimately I decided to just leave my docs as .cwk's as making the conversion was just too much frustrating work. One measure of how bad Pages is is that I use Word instead, an app whose interface is the poster child of Microsoft user-unfriendliness.

The prospect of porting Pages (as is) to the web would be to make it even more unusable than it already is. Please, Apple, invest in making Pages the word processor for the rest of us. Right now it is a half-baked mess.