Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak to appear at Macworld

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Why is he getting behind a product that involves hacking up an existing Mac? It's like poking Steve Jobs in the eye.
  • Reply 22 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Pretty much every good strategic move Apple has done in the last 10 years Woz has thought was a bad idea - so in that sense I hope you're wrong.

Woz is a very good engineer, but he's an idiot businessman. Were he in charge of Apple, OS X would be "the other Vista" right now. He has, several times, shown open contempt for tying hardware and software together and said he finds the iPhone to be interesting, but ultimately pointless. Were Woz to take over Apple, he would undo absolutely everything Steve Jobs has worked so hard to create and fix.

Woz is not a bad man, but honestly, he's kind of a joke.
  • Reply 23 of 48
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    If only he hadn't broken up with Kathy Griffin.
  • Reply 24 of 48
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,334member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Woz certainly adds heft to any event...

He certainly does.

The man must weigh 225lbs now.

And as to the silly CEO remarks, anyone remember Wheels of Zeus?

Woz may have been a genius as an engineer in his prime, but what has he done since then? And even if one can argue that Woz has engineered something great outside Apple (universal remote controllers perhaps?), such is by no means a qualification for being a CEO. One of Apple's all time worst CEO's ever (Spindler) had an engineering background. I like Woz personally, and I think he has a true heart of gold. And in this day and age, such is rare. But again, that doesn't qualify him to lead any company, more less Apple.

So in summary, I wish to reply to this article by saying...

...who cares?!
  • Reply 25 of 48
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    It is always good to see the Woz promote some Apple products. He's not always complimentary towards Apple but neither am I.

Maybe Woz should take the helm of Apple when Jobs retires. Or maybe not.
  • Reply 26 of 48
    Go Woz! You're awesome!
  • Reply 27 of 48
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    The Axiotron Modbook is too large and too heavy. Even the MacBook Air is too large and too heavy. Give us a 5-inch device with 400 g or so and we are sold. Something like this:

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2008/12...al-experience/

but with Mac OS X inside (see first picture):

http://spidouz.wordpress.com/2008/09...ooks-and-games
  • Reply 28 of 48
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    So Woz is backing a company that makes a product that will either drift along in mediocrity because no-one wants a tablet or get overtaken by Apple because everyone wants a tablet.

Way to pick a winner !
  • Reply 29 of 48
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Every time there's an event and the tablet isn't announced and the musical guest starts I feel like Mortimer Duke at the end of Trading Places. "Turn those machines back on!"

Haha! Well I wasn't expecting it yet, but I can imagine feeling that way if I was. I want it badly too. "Feeling good Lewis!"
  • Reply 30 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

So Woz is backing a company that makes a product that will either drift along in mediocrity because no-one wants a tablet or get overtaken by Apple because everyone wants a tablet.

Way to pick a winner !

Am I that tired or did that not make sense?
  • Reply 31 of 48
    Cool: the Woz can foment political pressure inside Apple for a reprised release of the Newton?Q1, 2010. We'z likez tha Woz.
  • Reply 32 of 48
    1st1st Posts: 443member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Halvri View Post

Woz is not a bad man, but honestly, he's kind of a joke.

Gee, what kind of joker are you? What you have achieved in your life compare to Woz? Scary!
  • Reply 33 of 48
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

Sorry, but you were 'finished' before you started that post.

So were you in posting that bit of pointlessness.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

Anyone own(ed) a relatively new modbook? Do they work well? And what type of tech does the display use? Is it as accurate as a Wacom? does it have multiple pressure levels like a Wacom? It would be sweet to have a "mobile Cintique" or whatever that thing is called...

Last I heard, it has 512 levels of pressure, the original had 256 but it was updated to 512 through software. I've never seen or used a Modbook, I can't say.
  • Reply 34 of 48
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    While the comments on this thread have been thoroughly hilarious, back on topic... The modbook would kickass if they announced/demoed the MacBookAirModbook or MacBookAluminiumModBook (with sexier names, of course).

A ModBook based off a MacBook Air would be killer.

Right now the ModBook looks like it incorporates the white MacBook.

Axiotron announcing a "AirBook" Tablet (AirTablet?) (AirPad?) based on the MacBook Air would be, pretty darn impressive and shave 50% of the weight of the thing.

If Woz has any common sense left in that "geek in the clouds" brain of his, this would be the thing to put his "heft" on.

An ultrasexy Apple tablet, for a variety of applications. The AirPad.

Woz. As happy as I am for him enjoying himself and being a happy human being, he brings the term "Sloppy Seconds" to a whole, whole new level.
  • Reply 35 of 48
    Quote:

Am I that tired or did that not make sense?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

Way to pick a winner !

Ireland, PXT's comment makes sense.

If the tablet is the next great big thing, then Axiotron is f*ked because Apple will pwn it. Majorly.

Or, the pen-based tablet is on its way out, there is no huge market for it. In which case Axiotron is not going to be huge.

That said though, I think some kind of Mac tablet is important in the market and it is more an issue of cost, weight, availability of more models, and global sales & marketing. That is, a strong business plan to make the Mac tablet succesful regardless of whether or not Apple enters this market space.

A strong business plan, usually not associated with Woz showing up and doing, whatever the hell it is he does. Publicity = good, Woz = not useful from a longer term business perspective.

And Americans need to start thinking globally, lots, lots, more. Which is not Woz's forte, by the way.

If the iPhone 3G did not have such resounding global success, Apple would be in some amount of trouble. Perceptually or actually.

In Asia anyway, the Mac tablet has a lot of potential for creatives, medical, engineering, "just cool to have it" etc. solutions. The Wacom Cintiq I believe is much more expensive than the ModBook, and it's a separate thing. If you had a 15" ModBook or ModBook based on a MacBook Air, globally, even in these down times, the Mac tablet has potential. Have a way to put in a 3G modem somewhere in there, and Boom!

Is Woz really going to make an impact, or contribute to key business goals, or just going to faff about for nostalgia's sake?
  • Reply 36 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

While the comments on this thread have been thoroughly hilarious, back on topic... The modbook would kickass if they announced/demoed the MacBookAirModbook or MacBookAluminiumModBook (with sexier names, of course).

The Modbook is not multi-touch, or capacitive. So IMO it's useless. We're not talking a me-too tablet that Apple should make. But something entirely NEW>

With a whole new type of OS for a tablet. Not merely a skinning of OS X, but a complete overhaul. Apple knows the desktop OS is getting pretty long in the tooth, so they are making it work better by rethinking how they do things. They are working on efficiency. But I also believe they are simultaneously working on a full cocoa touch OS X variant for this new category of tablet devices I think to call the "table tablet".
  • Reply 37 of 48
    Quote:

The Modbook is not multi-touch, or capacitive. So IMO it's useless. We're not talking a me-too tablet that Apple should make. But something entirely NEW>

With a whole new type of OS for a tablet. Not merely a skinning of OS X, but a complete overhaul. Apple knows the desktop OS is getting pretty long in the tooth, so they are making it work better by rethinking how they do things. They are working on efficiency. But I also believe they are simultaneously working on a full cocoa touch OS X variant for this new category of tablet devices I think to call the "table tablet".

I think something entirely NEW would be great. But that's not what Axiotron is about right now.

They can continue to do what they do, but they need to take it "to the next level".

1. Airpad (modbook based on MacBook Air) for 13" ultraportable tablet etc.

2. Go up against the Cintiq big time for creative, medical and engineering apps. This means a modbook based on the 15" and even 17" MacBook Pro. The 15" can be handheld. The 17" would be difficult to be handheld, it may be table- or arm-mounted (like in operating theatres for example).

3. Shift their mainstream ModBook table to be based on the aluminium MacBook.

Now this said, the totally new thinking and all that, is where Apple needs to be, and they probably are researching it, at that 10" screen, "netbook/tablet" space, with, I agree, a multi-touch OS X thing somwhere between OS X desktop and iPhone OS.

I don't think this Apple tablet will show up at MacWorld, so Axiotron should continue to have a market niche to play in.

I'm feeling a 10" 3G-enabled Apple "netbook" (not tablet but somewhere between multi-touch and keyboard... somehow... maybe) sold through it's telco partners... may be what Apple will announce in several days.

OK I'm starting to ramble now...
  • Reply 38 of 48
    Quote:

Shocking!

And btw, I promise you Steve Jobs will make an appearance. That much is the most obvious thing ever.

He f*king has to. No Steve Jobs on stage, even a brief five minutes, would be very, very bad, if just from a PR perspective.
  • Reply 39 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

He f*king has to. No Steve Jobs on stage, even a brief five minutes, would be very, very bad, if just from a PR perspective.

He'll be there, soon as the taxidermist is finished with him.
  • Reply 40 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Every time there's an event and the tablet isn't announced and the musical guest starts I feel like Mortimer Duke at the end of Trading Places. "Turn those machines back on!"

I can't believe you said Mortimer Duke in Trading Places!