Apple files for patent on winter-friendly iPhone gloves

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 42
    nli10nli10 Posts: 32member
    Shooting gloves are designed for people spending a lot of time outdoors and are very well insulated but you can flip off the tops of the two fingers you need to operate a rifle.



    This also means you can flip off the finger caps to change settings on a touch based device.



    I have iPod classic and just use the buttons once in the cold so didn't buy any, but they are fairly easy to get hold of and do the job perfectly without need for layers that may or may not work.
  • Reply 22 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post


    perhaps for certain scenarios, but how exactly would that work in public? You would have dozens of people screaming at their phone around you at any given time.. Not to mention I wouldn't want to share my text/email conversations with the world...



    Two problems:



    1 - People wouldn't be 'screaming' into their iphones.



    2 - You are acting like 'everyone' in public has an iphone.



    Neither are true,
  • Reply 23 of 42
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,848member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wraithofwonder View Post


    This isn't for the user. Apple is just trying to get more people to use their iPod Touch or iPhone in places they "shouldn't", but where it only makes sense to already - where it is a failing of the device that we "shouldn't".



    What I mean is, Apple is simply trying to make those water submersion indicators go red to get more $$$.



    Best I can figure it. My taste for them grows less each day.



    Oh please! I'm sure their first thought is, lets screw all of our customers over so we can make a small amount of money. We don't care about our image in this world. You sound like someone who is just looking to sue someone over something stupid. If this is what you think of Apple then maybe you shouldn't be a customer of theirs.
  • Reply 24 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post


    perhaps for certain scenarios, but how exactly would that work in public? You would have dozens of people screaming at their phone around you at any given time.. Not to mention I wouldn't want to share my text/email conversations with the world...



    You're exaggerating.... often, it's something as simple as 'call home,' spoken in a normal voice (The 'Say Who' app already does this, but it needs a little bit of work - Apple could have done a much better job, I am sure).
  • Reply 25 of 42
    I've been wondering: What about ladies with long nails?



    Maybe I should patent a Long-Nail-iPhone-Friendly-Cap/Applique.....
  • Reply 26 of 42
    I bought a pair of Northface Etip gloves last year. Maybe Northface forgot to file for a patent.



    http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/...essories.html#
  • Reply 27 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wraithofwonder View Post


    This isn't for the user. Apple is just trying to get more people to use their iPod Touch or iPhone in places they "shouldn't", but where it only makes sense to already - where it is a failing of the device that we "shouldn't".



    What I mean is, Apple is simply trying to make those water submersion indicators go red to get more $$$.



    Best I can figure it. My taste for them grows less each day.



    Apple is a company. Companies are in business to make money. If they don't make money, they go out of business. It's that simple. Apple isn't living up to its reputation...it's so great. Blah blah blah. Apple isn't in business to please all the fanboys. Apple makes really, really good computers and iPods, if they didn't I'd buy a Dell. You shouldn't support any given brand. They definitely won't support you. Who cares if they decide to market a product you think is silly or pointless? They could decide to sell iPods that only dogs can hear....maybe it could be some type of training device. Sort of like those whistles. As long as they make superior products, I'll continue buying them.
  • Reply 28 of 42
    I have a pair of these and they are excellent!! Gloves for iPod and iPhone!!!



    http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/...t_category_rn=
  • Reply 29 of 42
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post


    What's wrong with people using these?







    http://www.oneposter.com/Product-rec...kid-28972.html



    Sure the fingertips get a little cold but it means that a poorly fitting glove won't give you inaccurate input on your phone or mean that it drops out your hand because you can't hold it securely enough.



    In freezing weather, your fingertips would freeze. The body extremities (fingers and toes) freeze first. You would subject yourself to frostbite.
  • Reply 30 of 42
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post


    No one would buy special gloves just to use their iPhone. Unless they were working and the iPhone contained software for their job. They would just take their gloves off for 60 seconds. Or press the buttons with their nose.



    That's your opinion, but people in cold climates would buy them so they don't have to take off their gloves every time they wanted to use the phone, or their iPod Touch, or any of the other cell phones that now use a touchscreen for access.
  • Reply 31 of 42
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Doesn't have to be northern areas. Los Angeles recently had a storm pass through which dropped evening temperatures into the low 30's, which was cold enough for gloves. My wife discovered that she could not access the phone even with a fabric-based glove. Her response, "This sucks, I have to take my gloves off to use the phone."
  • Reply 32 of 42
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,848member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post


    Doesn't have to be northern areas. Los Angeles recently had a storm pass through which dropped evening temperatures into the low 30's, which was cold enough for gloves. My wife discovered that she could not access the phone even with a fabric-based glove. Her response, "This sucks, I have to take my gloves off to use the phone."



    Women...always complaining!
  • Reply 33 of 42
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I've never been able to dial on any mobile phone with winter gloves. I think its a silly expectation. When its below freezing temperatures you need to wear extremely thick clothes. You are not worried about making phone calls. You want to get out of the cold and into heat as quickly as possible.
  • Reply 34 of 42


    .

  • Reply 35 of 42
    You can go to any sports store and get warm fishing gloves that have the first two fingers made out of a Gortex like material that does work on the iPhone. It was cold the other day in my car and those were in the back, so I put them on to drive, and when I got a call, I didn't even think about the fact that it wouldn't work, but to my surprise, I was able to answer the call, and then called someone else just to make sure. Worked like a charm. The only down side is the gloves are camouflage. Maybe they come in other colors?
  • Reply 36 of 42
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


    I've been wondering: What about ladies with long nails?



    They should have their hands sawn off for crimes against humanity.



    I count myself equally amused by this whole scenario as the other southern hemisphere inhabitants on this forum.



    Perhaps Apple should just release a cloud of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere every year in time for the northern hemisphere winter....
  • Reply 37 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post


    Two problems:



    1 - People wouldn't be 'screaming' into their iphones.



    2 - You are acting like 'everyone' in public has an iphone.



    Neither are true,



    2 problems explained.



    1. People already scream into their phones in restaurants, on the train, in the office etc.

    Phone etiquette in the USA is atrocious.



    2. Everyone that doesn't own an iPhone doesn't have to yell into their phones because 99% of every phone made has built in speed dial with 1 touch dialing. They don't have to push the home button, slide the on slider, choose the application, wait for it to load and then touch the convenient "SPEED DIAL".
  • Reply 38 of 42
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacOldTimer View Post


    2 problems explained.



    2. Everyone that doesn't own an iPhone doesn't have to yell into their phones because 99% of every phone made has built in speed dial with 1 touch dialing. They don't have to push the home button, slide the on slider, choose the application, wait for it to load and then touch the convenient "SPEED DIAL".



    people with other phones might not have to jump through hoops to get speed dial, but i sure hear them yell AT their phones a lot. i don't see many iPhone users hating their phones...
  • Reply 39 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post


    They should have their hands sawn off for crimes against humanity.



    I am sure you're attempting humor, but I fail to see it.....
  • Reply 40 of 42
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post


    I've never been able to dial on any mobile phone with winter gloves. I think its a silly expectation. When its below freezing temperatures you need to wear extremely thick clothes. You are not worried about making phone calls. You want to get out of the cold and into heat as quickly as possible.



    It's about 95F here, I'm dreaming of weather like that.
Sign In or Register to comment.