Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak to appear at Macworld

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    halvrihalvri Posts: 146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1st View Post

Gee, what kind of joker are you? What you have achieved in your life compare to Woz? Scary!

That's not my point. He was a brilliant man back in the day, but all of his current critiques lead me to believe none of that is left. Just look at the Axiotron, it's OS X skinned to act like a tablet, there's absolutely nothing innovative about it at all and he acts like it's the new frontier in computing (even though it has failed several times to make any traction at all in the Windows world).

He had to be coaxed into helping found Apple and in the subsequent time since he left, he has done nothing of any real consequence. Listen to what he believes Apple should do as a company. He doesn't believe in tying OS and hardware, which is one of the biggest reasons so many of us love Apple (we don't have to deal will all the crap inherent in mixed coding and bad hardware). He also talks about how stupid he thinks the iPhone is (and millions of people clearly disagree with him). And that's just to name a small amount of the silly things he's said.

Again, I don't think he's a bad man. I've heard many things about how generous and kind he is. But in terms of his business sense and his sense of modern innovation, I think he's a joke. Were he in charge of Apple right, OS X would be nothing but a better looking Vista (likely running on econo boxes).
  • Reply 42 of 48
    1st1st Posts: 443member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Halvri View Post

That's not my point.

Just remember apple would not exist without Woz. Missing respect to the founder is just like some of wall street investment banker... Roman is not built in one day. Steve need another Steve to survive at that time. He might need him more now. Woz is someone you can trust. That is hard to get nowadays. (besides, everyone got one or two misses in the tech life, including Steve J. I wouldn't be so critical on anyone. e.g. Mr. Ford got vision of environmental friendly car, until proven correct recently.. He was forced out of office as the one was "lack of business expertise and vision").
  • Reply 43 of 48
    I think he's in the family and can be trusted as previously mentioned. Sometimes it better to have someone like Woz, who is there, but allowing one person (Jobs) to be the dominant monkey.

l sincerely wish Mr. Jobs and everyone else much good health in the future. Should a successor be named I think Woz would be a great pick.

Apple is an incredible company, so far ahead that whatever they introduce becomes cool as shit. Even if you can't afford it. But putting the iphone into Walmart, then the amazing app store to continue to gain revenue is just freaking brilliant. Apple has created ONE device.

The One everyone will have. So if a tablet joins the line then great. The iphone will carry Apple through the next 10 years and Woz will be a trusted ally.
  • Reply 44 of 48
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Part time Die Hard View Post

I think he's in the family ... a trusted ally.

I'm sorry, but I have to mention I'm confused. How has Woz really contributed? Maybe from a publicity perpective as he does this or that, but how is someone that, for example, supports jailbreaking and unlocking of the iPhone 3G* someone "in the Apple family and a trusted ally"?

*Not saying that is wrong, per se
  • Reply 45 of 48
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,334member
    While I certainly am pleased to see signs of "the faithful" in this forum (I too having been loyal to the Mac platform since 1984), I disagree with a lot of the reasoning presented about Woz. Should we christen Woz CEO of Apple because "Apple wouldn't exist without Woz" and because "Woz is someone we can trust"? Keep in mind that if Woz had been at the help instead of Jobs, we'd still be using OS 9 (not all that bad because I still like the old OS, but a major point of consideration nontheless):

http://www.osnews.com/story/16293/Wo...cure_Than_OS_X

And while I still own a G4 Cube myself and have not yet joined the Mactel bandwagon, it would be prudent for all to know Woz's past feelings on Apple's switch to "the enemy":

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/21...py-apple-intel

And let us not forget the recent comments made by Woz about the iPod and iPhone (two products that have kept Apple stock riding high):

http://current.com/items/89385248/th..._s_rubbish.htm

Suffice it to say, we would have a very different Apple today (and very different products) if Woz had been in a power position at Apple. That's not to say his input is all bad. Indeed, I think he needs to play a greater role at Apple, but not as CEO. And while my thanks go out to Steve Jobs for bumping AAPL into the stratosphere, I still disagree with some of his decision, like removing Firewire from recent MacBooks and for forcing glossy screens down our throats and for not giving us the "mid-range tower" so many of us want. So throw Jobs and Woz in a blender, I say, and usher in a new generation of powerful, beautiful and fun to use products.
  • Reply 46 of 48
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JDW View Post

While I certainly am pleased to see signs of "the faithful" in this forum (I too having been loyal to the Mac platform since 1984), I disagree with a lot of the reasoning presented about Woz. Should we christen Woz CEO of Apple because "Apple wouldn't exist without Woz" and because "Woz is someone we can trust"?

I agree, Woz is a good engineer, not necessarily a good businessman, at least not nearly as good as Jobs. I think he makes a mistake of deciding the product based on what he wants, which isn't necessarily a good business decision when you're talking about a multi billion dollar company.
  • Reply 47 of 48
    halvrihalvri Posts: 146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1st View Post

Just remember apple would not exist without Woz. Missing respect to the founder is just like some of wall street investment banker... Roman is not built in one day. Steve need another Steve to survive at that time. He might need him more now. Woz is someone you can trust. That is hard to get nowadays. (besides, everyone got one or two misses in the tech life, including Steve J. I wouldn't be so critical on anyone. e.g. Mr. Ford got vision of environmental friendly car, until proven correct recently.. He was forced out of office as the one was "lack of business expertise and vision").

Okay, then let me make this a little more clear. Woz is a good man, but his vision is the exact opposite of Apple at large and much more in tune with Microsoft. It's not a lack of respect that causes me to say this, but given his public statements, I have no doubt Apple would be dead in under a year if left in his charge. But to be quite frank, I don't think he deserves it.
  • Reply 48 of 48
    1st1st Posts: 443member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Halvri View Post

I don't think he deserves it.

I am glad two Steve-s would be the one (or two) make the call. well, let's wait and see. ;-).

http://www.woz.org/