Macworld site rife with concealed banners (photos)

Comments

• Reply 41 of 78
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Special jamming systems must have been installed in all relevant elevators to prevent photos from being taken.

It does add a sense of mystery that is exciting. No more news items titled: "As expected, Apple releases.."

Still, hoards of people will be posting moments after the conclusion of the keynote that it was the worst ever, that they are very displeased that Apple didn't give them everything they wanted, etc. ...

This is yet another excellent reason for Apple to quite the trade show route. Since Apple became so popular recently, the previous techniques they had of dealing with their public have ceased to work very well.

Traditionally, previous to a show, there was a lot of good-natured speculation and well-meaning leakers dropping hints on the way to the show and that only heightened the interest and mystery. Then the show hits and it's not what we expect, but the (mild) disappointment was always off-set by the marvellousness of what *was* announced and everyone was more or less happy. Apple's notorious secrecy worked for them, and was mostly a positive then.

In this latter, much more popular phase, the "newbies" to the scene just don't get it and are sending the hype machine off kilter.

- Bored ex-windows journalists write a lot of ridiculous over-hyped rumours to sell clicks based on nothing.

- Idiot 20 something, "I-used-windows-till-last-week" guys fuel the fire with zillions of dumb-ass, over-hyped predictions about miracle products, based on nothing.

- Chinese employees break their NDA (if they even know what one is), and reveal actual pictures of the actual products, completely ruining all the surprise and presenting them to the world for the first time in a (literally) really bad light.

So we hear all kinds of asinine waaay over the top rumours and then are presented with a lesser, not as interesting product that is at the same time presented to us as a blurry cell-phone pic of what looks like crap on a stick. How could we not be disappointed? Before Jobs has even walked off stage (literally again), the web is already alight with outrageous over-the top criticisms of every single thing mentioned or announced anyway, sending the Apple stock spiralling downward.

What was once just tiny disagreements amongst a very technical group of friends over the pros and cons of the new products, becomes a huge hyper-critical "big deal" all over the world in a matter of days.

- The bored ex-windows pundits (who got everything wrong), are embarrassed/angered and spend the next couple of weeks dissing the new products, pointing out why Apple made a horrible move, and sending out rumours of Steve Jobs death.

- The idiot 20 something guys are *intensely* disappointed that their ridiculous dreams of miracle products didn't materialise and cover their fear of their own stupidity, by angrily lashing out at the hand that is feeding them in typical adolescent fashion. Filling up sites like Gizmodo with "I hate Apple" posts at the same time as they greedily buy the new products.

In short, the process hasn't scaled up very well and what was once fun, mysterious and interesting has become a gigantic mostly negative hype machine out of Apple's control.

IMO this is mostly due to the huge influx of idiots, newbies, and ex-windows types but if Apple wants the sales, they have to find a way to deal with the new idiots. The reality is that the "growing of the platform" that we all have hoped for all these years is the very thing that is actually killing the culture.
  • Reply 42 of 78
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I disagree. Your statement implies that leaving MacWorld is some indication that Apple is going on so this is their chance to go out with a bang.

It is not. It is just them changing how they announce items to the world. And it's about time. Trade shows are old school and came about when there wasn't the Web, streaming video, etc to handle such things. Companies needed Trade Shows to gather the press for them to allow for big flashy announcements.

These days, Trade Shows need Companies more than the other way around. Apple, Adobe and a handful of others have figured this out and are moving to saving time and money by not attending, not to mention that they can release and announce on their own schedule and won't have to save the big stuff for the next X show.

I disagree. Trade shows may be old school compared to the web and streaming video, but the web isn't the end all be all of product announcements. Wasn't there a web bubble where everyone and their cousin had to have an online experience, presence and store to sell their ideal, product or service. Remember that commercial of a "sock" dog? That sock soon became unemployed. The web was not the Holy Grail for him and what that company was marketing. The web is only one more avenue to the advertising mix of radio, tv, sponsorships, magazine adverts, the US mail, trade shows, web presence, etc.

There is something about the gathering of a lot of people who the same interests. There is something about being the first to actually see, touch, feel, witness in action the product for the first time.

Why have an auto show when you can go online to see new announcements of a manufacturers new car line-up? Would seeing that online satisfy you. I know it wouldn't for me, but an auto trade show... Now that's the ticket!
  • Reply 43 of 78
    I think the only revelation that came of these photos (for me, personally) was that trees do actually lose their leaves in SF. As a person who lives in upper NE, I find this quite fascinating!
  • Reply 44 of 78
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

I think the only revelation that came of these photos (for me, personally) was that trees do actually lose their leaves in SF. As a person who lives in upper NE, I find this quite fascinating!

I actually liked all those solar panels on the roof tops, very refreshing!

Those banners could contain a message to PsyStar: Don't Tread on Me B**ch!

• Reply 45 of 78
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

This is yet another excellent reason for Apple to quite the trade show route. Since Apple became so popular recently, the previous techniques they had of dealing with their public have ceased to work very well.

Traditionally, previous to a show, there was a lot of good-natured speculation and well-meaning leakers dropping hints on the way to the show and that only heightened the interest and mystery. Then the show hits and it's not what we expect, but the (mild) disappointment was always off-set by the marvellousness of what *was* announced and everyone was more or less happy. Apple's notorious secrecy worked for them, and was mostly a positive then.

(other reasons snipped)

How is that any different from their special event presentation? The MacBook updates were not presented at a trade show and yet had all or most the of the same issues that you described.
  • Reply 46 of 78
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

How is that any different from their special event presentation? The MacBook updates were not presented at a trade show and yet had all or most the of the same issues that you described.

You're right. I got so into describing the decline of things I didn't realise that it's nothing to do with Macworld vs. any other event.

We are doomed, there is no way out of this except going back in time to before all the newbies jumped on the bandwagon.
  • Reply 47 of 78
    Quote:

You're right. I got so into describing the decline of things I didn't realise that it's nothing to do with Macworld vs. any other event.

We are doomed, there is no way out of this except going back in time to before all the newbies jumped on the bandwagon.

Uh, what?
  • Reply 48 of 78
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alicepire View Post

The more relevant banner, which for some stupid reason doesn't seem to be here, would surely be the one that says 'even our small talk is big'. There's a photo of it on the MacRumors site. I thought Apple was usually subtle about these things? Pointless iPhone Nano, here we come!

That's because it's not an Apple banner. It's an IDG banner promoting Macworld.
  • Reply 49 of 78
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:

One way to partially stop it is to stop getting parts from China. Bring the Macintosh production back to the US like it used to be. But...that will never happen.
  • Reply 50 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alicepire View Post

The more relevant banner, which for some stupid reason doesn't seem to be here, would surely be the one that says 'even our small talk is big'. There's a photo of it on the MacRumors site. I thought Apple was usually subtle about these things? Pointless iPhone Nano, here we come!

Here is a prime example of "this keynote sucked" just because Apple didn't announce what you thought, or what you wanted. Just because you don't want it, doesn't mean everyone else doesn't. Apple doesn't make products especially for you!

I doubt there will be any iPhone announcements. Apple has plenty on the Mac side that could be released. They don't need an iPhone filler to waste time...
  • Reply 51 of 78
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    The modo for this year is "The Beginning of a New Era" as shown on MacRunors.
  • Reply 52 of 78
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

The modo for this year is "The Beginning of a New Era" as shown on MacRunors.

That's an IGN poster, and even it was Apple's it still would mean nothing. Ignore all this hype, expect nothing, we'll see what happens.
  • Reply 53 of 78
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matthawaii View Post

If I was trying to institute a transition I would have Steve Jobs no where in sight and announce some products that just knock everyone's socks off. i.e.:

AppleTV with an HD capture card/TIVO like

30 inch iMac

All new Displays

32GB iPhone

Quad Core, dual display Mac

Updated Mac Mini

Updated MacPro

64GB iPod Touch

Firewire BTO option for the MacBook

etc.

Apple needs to decouple the concept that SJ is the root of all things good.

-Matt

1) "TiVo-Like" are the existing cable box DVR's that all suck. If it is not the real TiVo, it will never be TiVo-Like.

2) 30" iMac...that might be too large, and too expensive for iMac standards

3) They just released new displays

4) Why stop at 32GB? Cram in 128 GB for the iPhone.

5) Quad Core Dual display Mac? The Mac Pro already does that

6) MacMini, boring and the obvious rumor

7) Mac Pro, the software doesn't do anything with 8 cores, so what would be the point of another update?

8) See number 4

9) Yes, FireWire is still a needed interface for drives and DV cameras. They should have done FW800 since it is also on the iMac.
  • Reply 54 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

1) "TiVo-Like" are the existing cable box DVR's that all suck. If it is not the real TiVo, it will never be TiVo-Like.

2) 30" iMac...that might be too large, and too expensive for iMac standards

3) They just released new displays

4) Why stop at 32GB? Cram in 128 GB for the iPhone.

5) Quad Core Dual display Mac? The Mac Pro already does that

6) MacMini, boring and the obvious rumor

7) Mac Pro, the software doesn't do anything with 8 cores, so what would be the point of another update?

8) See number 4

9) Yes, FireWire is still a needed interface for drives and DV cameras. They should have done FW800 since it is also on the iMac.

1. Apple should buy TiVo and use its technology in its AppleTV box, perhaps even in its computers.

2. 30" is too large for an iMac IMO...should rather implement the mini display port and enable mirror/expanding to a 30" (which isn't supported on current iMacs).

3. They only released the 24" model. No word on the 20" and 30" models. So new displays are still possible.

4. There is only room for 1 NAND Flash chip in an iPhone and as of recently, the highest NAND flash chip you can get is 32GB, which again was JUST released. Previously, 16GB was the highest and thus, why you only saw a 16GB iPhone. There is room for 2 flash chips on the iPod Touch which is why you see a 32GB iPod Touch (2x16GB chips). So 128GB isn't possible as of today.

5. The MacPro is a professional high-end workstation that uses server class processors. A quadcore iMac isn't out of the ordinary for todays standards, but obviously not using the Xeon CPUs the MacPros do, but rather a Core 2 Quad type CPU, or perhaps iCore 7.

6. How is this boring? This is exactly the crap people are sick of hearing. What the hell would excite you beyond belief then? Its not like the MacMini is updated every other week like the iPhone is.

7. You need to update to keep up with your competition. Software DOES take advantage of these processors. Snow Leopard is just going to further optimize the OS to take better advantage. Plus there are speeds to be gained in the CPU, more efficient processing, support for faster RAM, etc Its more than just a CPU update.

8. FireWire may be a needed interface, but I think Apple is slowly phasing it out and reserving it for only its high end products. It may piss you off, but thats just part of a transition. I'm sure there were people that were absolutely pissed when Apple switched from local talk and SCSI to all USB only as their expensive peripherals were now useless.
  • Reply 55 of 78
    Quote:

What exactly are you referring to as a “Newbie”? And how does it have any relevance to this forum posting?

I’m curious…

Are there now Apple elitists and the “new” users who switched over from MS?

If that is what you are referring to; I’d spend a little less on Apple products and a little more on psychological therapy.
  • Reply 56 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacOldTimer View Post

If that is what you are referring to; I?d spend a little less on Apple products and a little more on psychological therapy.

I think it would be a good idea to refrain from making that kind of suggestion.
  • Reply 57 of 78
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

Well, the deciduous trees do drop their leaves on schedule. Our orange, grapefruit, lemon and palm trees are still green.
  • Reply 58 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

The problem with a gang-buster MWSF Blowout is that the reasons the show are a problem are only half about SJ: They don't want to have to put major new announcements at a single event in a single quarter. They want to be able to release products frequently enough to maintain buzz (even without as charismatic a presenter as SJ).

I think Apple is right that it's hard to be locked to product cycles where they MUST release something cool, early every January. They also want to show that it's not just Steve who releases cool products but Apple generally.

But I also think Apple isn't entirely sure how it whips consumers up, how the 'reality distortion field' works, how they get so much free advertising from the press and rumour sites talking up everything Apple. MacWorld seems to be part of that frenzy - by locking in a specific day they get legions of us waiting for that day. For some it's more important than Christmas (and has more surprises).

It's an amazing feeling and expectation they've built, accidentally, and they gain so much from it that is hard to quantify. It goes further, in that for a large number of people, all the other SteveNotes become mini-"Christmases".

Though I'm happy to see Phil and others taking the limelight, it's a bad move to remove AppleMas.

(edit: yes I know I'm taking this to an extreme, just trying to 'analyse' the distortion field).
  • Reply 59 of 78
    "Five banners shrouded by white cloth" Just looks like the banners are folded up.

Untie the top and it will drop down. It's the back of the banner you are looking at.
  • Reply 60 of 78
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

I think MacWorld should focus on smaller regional shows and smaller developers and companies.

Keep it cost effective for vendors/exhibitors and attendees.

Next year's theme... "Developers, developers, developers!!!"