Something unexpected at MacWorld.

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I don't know if anyone here follows Andy Ihnatko on twitter (ihnatko) but he has dropped some pretty interesting tweets through there. Apparently he is in SF for the Expo.

Quote:

1/3/09 7:05PM

First afternoon in SF and I have already dug up the coolest top-secretest Apple news of the year. I haven't even seen a RUMOR about this.

1/3/09 7:23PM

(I was told solely on a "be ready when it's announced" basis, so I can't even hint. But it immediately elicited a "NO WAY!!!" & happy grin)

This might be a very interesting MWSF if it does indeed go out with a bang...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 101
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

I don't know if anyone here follows Andy Ihnatko on twitter (ihnatko) but he has dropped some pretty interesting tweets through there. Apparently he is in SF for the Expo.

This might be a very interesting MWSF if it does indeed go out with a bang...

If he's being serious then it's the Mac touch, but I am very reserved about this. ihnatko has a habit of getting excited about the most dull things at times, though at the same time he's clearly the most genuine one on Mac Break Weekly. I can't see why this would leak to him though, it seems unlikely at best. I had to unfollow him a while back cause he tweets too damn much, like C.P. I'll turn him back on for a few days at see if he says anything interesting.
  • Reply 2 of 101
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

If he's being serious then it's the Mac touch, but I am very reserved about this. ihnatko has a habit of getting excited about the most dull things at times, though at the same time he's clearly the most genuine one on Mac Break Weekly. I can't see why this would leak to him though, it seems unlikely at best. I had to unfollow him a while back cause he tweets too damn much, like C.P. I'll turn him back on for a few days at see if he says anything interesting.

No Ireland even though I really WANT to agree with you I'm going to say its its not the mactouch. If anything its going to be the iphone nano.
  • Reply 3 of 101
    This is fascinating stuff. What if this guy is telling the truth? What if Phil DOES have something really hot to show at macworld? Would that mean that Steve Jobs really is that sick?
  • Reply 4 of 101
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by olternaut View Post

this is fascinating stuff. What if this guy is telling the truth? What if phil does have something really hot to show at macworld? Would that mean that steve jobs really is that sick?

wtf?..
  • Reply 5 of 101
    Quote:

wtf?..

What do you mean? Think about it. If this guy who twittered think there is really something hot at macworld then that blows the theory out of the water that only Steve Jobs needs to announce the hot products.

Everyone thinks Phill Schiller is there to announce boring stuff.

But if there is something good then that would mean that either Steve Jobs is trying to train the public into not having to expect him only to announce the good stuff and/or.....Steve Jobs really is sick. =/
  • Reply 6 of 101
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Everyone thinks Phill Schiller is there to announce boring stuff.

I've never thought that.

Perhaps Steve Jobs is tired of being the song and dance man. Perhaps he's POed at someone from IDG. Perhaps since he really hates the Mac mini, he doesn't want to talk about it. There could be dozens of reasons he's not attending.

I'm expecting Phil to put on a show. He is Apple's marketing guy, after all. He'll probably have the usual couple of hardware or software announcements following the usual talk about how well Apple has been doing.

Oh, and Ihnatko is probably just shooting for hits.
  • Reply 7 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

I've never thought that.

Perhaps Steve Jobs is tired of being the song and dance man. Perhaps he's POed at someone from IDG. Perhaps since he really hates the Mac mini, he doesn't want to talk about it. There could be dozens of reasons he's not attending.

I'm expecting Phil to put on a show. He is Apple's marketing guy, after all. He'll probably have the usual couple of hardware or software announcements following the usual talk about how well Apple has been doing.

Oh, and Ihnatko is probably just shooting for hits.

Hes twittering from his cell phone from his hotel room. I.......no I don't think he is fishing for hits. LOL somehow I don't think he expected his tweets to spawn ravenous posts on various Apple forums. haha.
  • Reply 8 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Hes twittering from his cell phone from his hotel room. I.......no I don't think he is fishing for hits. LOL somehow I don't think he expected his tweets to spawn ravenous posts on various Apple forums. haha.

The guy is a tech pundit, much like John Dvorak or any of those guys. You better believe he lives for hits and exposure. I'm sure he knows the word will get out abut his rumor and everyone will be googling his name.
  • Reply 9 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

The guy is a tech pundit, much like John Dvorak or any of those guys. You better believe he lives for hits and exposure. I'm sure he knows the word will get out abut his rumor and everyone will be googling his name.

Calling him a Dvorak is almost insulting. If there ever was a hit whore its Dvorak. But no I don't get the feeling from this guy. He wouldn't have done it from a simple twitter post if he was looking for hits. He would have done a straight up blog post up for all the world to see complete with a detailed analysis.
  • Reply 10 of 101
    I'll be curious to see how much Ihnatko's rumor gets legs in the next 48 hours.
  • Reply 11 of 101
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    Andy Ihnatko has been around for ages. From the days before the Second Coming of Jobs.

He's a true Mac nerd and smart and often fun Mac journalist.

I have no reason to believe he's phishing for hits. That has never been his style.

He has good contacts to Apple and suppliers and it's quite likely that he met up with some old pal who'd spill some beans.

As exciting as this sounds, it's likely not the iPhone nano, as rumors of it circulated for quite a few days. Ihnatko would know about these and hence his remark that there's no rumor about it yet wouldn't be true.

I'm more inclined to think it's not a new product but a product feature, along the lines of the 17" MacBook Pro having a BlueRay BTO option - being the first Mac supporting that technology.

Or perhaps it now comes with an eSATA port.

Or a quad-core MacBook Pro option.

Or the fact that Snow Leopard is ready for release.

Something like that.
  • Reply 12 of 101
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:

If he's being serious then it's the Mac touch

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut

If anything its going to be the iphone nano

Those contradict what he said though:

Quote:

I haven't even seen a RUMOR about this

Both of the top things have been rumored. Even the early release of Snow Leopard was rumored. Not it being ready but still close.

It sounds like he's pointing to something else. Trouble is, what impresses him may not impress everyone. I've heard people say things like this before such as for the Macbook Air and it's an ok machine but it's not something that I particularly care about.

I don't see it being iphone related at all. That doesn't need a refresh until June/July and I don't see a 'nano' product being cheaper.

It could be a touch-based iMac but again I think this was rumored too.
  • Reply 13 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Those contradict what he said though:

Both of the top things have been rumored. Even the early release of Snow Leopard was rumored. Not it being ready but still close.

It sounds like he's pointing to something else. Trouble is, what impresses him may not impress everyone. I've heard people say things like this before such as for the Macbook Air and it's an ok machine but it's not something that I particularly care about.

I don't see it being iphone related at all. That doesn't need a refresh until June/July and I don't see a 'nano' product being cheaper.

It could be a touch-based iMac but again I think this was rumored too.

Eewwww.......I think you might be right.

Oh well. It might be a case where an uber nerd thought something was exciting when it really wasn't. Or perhaps it is worth it. I guess we will soon find out.
  • Reply 14 of 101
    Apple will reduce prices across the range by 20% ... but only in America
  • Reply 15 of 101
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    AI's spy photo shows what looks like Paul Otellini from Intel.

They are working on a number of things. SSD is one, the new quad core CPUs but also Larrabee.

There were supposed to be engineering tests of Larrabee ready at the end of 2008. Given that this will be Apple's last MW, it is a good stage for Intel to demo their product possibly with Snow Leopard just to show what it's capable of even though it could wait until WWDC.

People expect a 17" MBP and Acer already have a quad 18" cheaper than Apple's dual core machine with Blu-Ray:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10129566-1.html

But mobile quads isn't something amazing.
  • Reply 16 of 101
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Let's just say whatever it is, it won't be as orgasmically fantastic as Andy is making it out to be.

As I've said in another thread, this is probably the MacBook Nano.

It's a foldable two-multitouch screen thing.

Actually, that is quite orgasmically fantastic if it were true.
  • Reply 17 of 101
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Mid-tower. PLEEEEAAAASE!
  • Reply 18 of 101
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    Does it have to be hardware?

Could it be some new software they've been working on that takes advantage of the technologies in Snow Leopard? There hasn't been much in the way of software rumours recently - only obvious things like new versions of iLife and iWork for 2009.
  • Reply 19 of 101
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    My best bet is a quad-core 17" MacBook Pro. MacRumors also has a rumor that Apple is going to release a 17" MacBook Pro with a superslim battery that is NON-REMOVABLE like the iPod Touch/iPhone batteries and is supposed to give much longer battery life than previous models. Let the bitching begin about the non-removable battery!

If its software...maybe Apple is going to GIVE Snow Leopard away to previous Mac OS 10.5 owners. Maybe that would explain the white banner when they're typically black?

Whatever it may be (if even true), Apple is doing a very good job so far of keeping it a secret. Otherwise it would have been out in the wild already. Although, usually something comes out of the wood work the day of the keynote on rumor sites. I try to stay away from rumor sites the day of the keynote.
  • Reply 20 of 101
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Quote:

I was told solely on a "be ready when it's announced" basis, so I can't even hint.

I think that means it will not be at MacWorld. He has no idea when.