Something unexpected at MacWorld.

Comments

• Reply 21 of 101
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

If its software...maybe Apple is going to GIVE Snow Leopard away to previous Mac OS 10.5 owners. Maybe that would explain the white banner when they're typically black?

I don't think the banners are visible yet - the covers over the banners are white.

They won't give Snow Leopard away. It's a huge money maker:

$129 * 10 million upgraders = $1.29 billion

Apple won't need to give it away if it's any good. Current Leopard owners may not be happy having to pay again when Leopard wasn't really a huge upgrade but that's how Apple have always done things.
  • Reply 22 of 101
    Perhaps it's an Apple HDTV (Cinema + Apple TV)?

~Matt
  • Reply 23 of 101
    I bet it is Verizon

it hasn't been in the rumor mill lately and would definitely be Big!
  • Reply 24 of 101
    The Mini is replaced with a full function mac os box the size of an original iPod, with mini DisplayPort, bluetooth, wi-fi, ethernet and 2 USB ports. Charges via induction. A 10" wireless touchscreen display is released to go with.
  • Reply 25 of 101
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

What do you mean? Think about it. If this guy who twittered think there is really something hot at macworld then that blows the theory out of the water that only Steve Jobs needs to announce the hot products.

Everyone thinks Phill Schiller is there to announce boring stuff.

"Everyone" doesn't think that as far as I'm concerned.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave

I've never thought that.

Exactly, either did I. I didn't think about it either way. I have the luxury of simply not reading into this nonsense. I must have developed some patience or something.
  • Reply 26 of 101
    Quote:

Calling him a Dvorak is almost insulting.

Almost? Good one. Dvorak is an idiot. He's an arrogant, ignorant, American know-it-all. He's watchable, even funny at times - but the more you watch him (or listen) the more you realize how little he actually knows.
  • Reply 27 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matt342 View Post

Perhaps it's an Apple HDTV (Cinema + Apple TV)?

~Matt

I hope you're right Matt. This one wouldn't actually surprise me, though I'd bet it would surprise a lot of people here

The Mac touch would surprise me, as I imagine it's not near ready yet.
  • Reply 28 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

They won't give Snow Leopard away. It's a huge money maker:

$129 * 10 million upgraders = $1.29 billion

Wowzer, yeah it adds up alright!
  • Reply 29 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Those contradict what he said though:

Both of the top things have been rumored.

Ok then, perhaps he's not seen me and a few others here go on about an Apple television lately. This product would be welcomed by me!
  • Reply 30 of 101
    expatexpat Posts: 110member
    I'm just trying to get things sorted to see where this rumor could point

Due:

Unibody MBP

New cinema displays

Bumped and/or redesigned iMac and Mini

New Pro

Snow Leopard (is there a date for this thing yet?)

Keyboard and mouse conforming with new colour scheme

Possible:

iPhone nano

Mac Touch

Mac netbook

Midrange tower

multitouch mouse

Fanboy fantasies:

Touch iMac, or touch on anything

HDTV/Display over 30"/iMac over 24"

Media computer (mini+apple TV, and a little media server thrown in)

----

I don't see the iPhone nano happening, unless they turn the event into a iPhone event, which I doubt. I do agree that the iPhone on another carrier would be huge. It isn't the only touch phone out there anymore, and the best way to compete is to open it up.

The Mini seems likely. I'd expect to see a 20" version of the new 24" display apple put out a few months ago. I also wouldn't be surprised to see the iMacs dump the chin so they looked more like the new displays

The pro, 17" MBP and 30" display are pro items, so they could be issued together, and maybe not at MW.

Really, my bet for a surprise is the touch, netbook or tower. This is of course assuming that these rumors are actually correct, or that apple doesn't have something completely in leftfield. That being said, I think its safe to say that the one thing we can count on is that we'll all have items on our wishlist go unfulfilled.
  • Reply 31 of 101
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by murk View Post

I think that means it will not be at MacWorld. He has no idea when.

? The keynote.....duh!
  • Reply 32 of 101
    We probably won't see a Mac Pro until later in the month. The Apple keyboard was recently updated however a new Mighty Mouse is likely. We also might see a new Apple Remote as well as a minor Apple TV update.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Expat View Post

I'm just trying to get things sorted to see where this rumor could point

Due:

Unibody MBP

New cinema displays

Bumped and/or redesigned iMac and Mini

New Pro

Snow Leopard (is there a date for this thing yet?)

Keyboard and mouse conforming with new colour scheme

Possible:

iPhone nano

Mac Touch

Mac netbook

Midrange tower

multitouch mouse

Fanboy fantasies:

Touch iMac, or touch on anything

HDTV/Display over 30"/iMac over 24"

Media computer (mini+apple TV, and a little media server thrown in)

----

I don't see the iPhone nano happening, unless they turn the event into a iPhone event, which I doubt. I do agree that the iPhone on another carrier would be huge. It isn't the only touch phone out there anymore, and the best way to compete is to open it up.

The Mini seems likely. I'd expect to see a 20" version of the new 24" display apple put out a few months ago. I also wouldn't be surprised to see the iMacs dump the chin so they looked more like the new displays

The pro, 17" MBP and 30" display are pro items, so they could be issued together, and maybe not at MW.

Really, my bet for a surprise is the touch, netbook or tower. This is of course assuming that these rumors are actually correct, or that apple doesn't have something completely in leftfield. That being said, I think its safe to say that the one thing we can count on is that we'll all have items on our wishlist go unfulfilled.

• Reply 33 of 101
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Phil Schiller's 'One More Thing' will be...........Steve Jobs and this announcement!
  • Reply 34 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

Phil Schiller's 'One More Thing' will be...........Steve Jobs and this announcement!

Maybe.

Over at macrumors one of the theories is that its going to be an Apple branded LCD television with integrated AppleTV. It would fit in with what Ihnatko mentioned about there being no rumors about this yet.

What do you all think?
  • Reply 35 of 101
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Ok then, perhaps he's not seen me and a few others here go on about an Apple television lately. This product would be welcomed by me!

Although I don't think it will happen, I have recently felt there needs to be a product like how you've described before. Trying to buy a media player for my grandparents is a bit of a nightmare because they don't know how to work the remotes.

I wanted a single unit that gave a nice picture with freeview, a PVR (80GB is fine; 16-32GB Flash might have done actually if it used mpeg4) and a DVD player. You do get them but they are very hard to find and not very good models.

One problem is cost. I found that an AIO device was actually more expensive than 3 separate parts and the individual parts were higher quality.

If Apple made one, it may be simple but it likely wouldn't hit the £200 price point I managed to get the 3 devices for. Sure, they will be a little more complex to work but not that much.

The TV is basically an on/off affair and the remote isn't needed. The freeview box does most of the work and uses the EPG to record shows (choose from the guide, hit record). Then the DVD player is an on/off affair too with basic navigation.

itunes content is meaningless because my grandparents don't have internet and they only like what's on TV anyway. The pay per download model wouldn't go down well - itunes really needs a subscription model.

Given that Apple don't do the whole PVR thing, I don't see them being the ones to fill this space.

The screen would have to be 26" minimum (£300), with the ATV components (£195) + twin freeview tuner (£40) = approx £499 price point.

Like I say, that's just out of the question when I paid £200. For some people, it is worth it but most people don't like tying their really expensive TV to their low cost TV decoders and recorders.

The low end ATV needs a tuner with EPG and PVR ability for half the price it's at now. Even then, you still need a separate box for playing DVDs.
  • Reply 36 of 101
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Almost? Good one. Dvorak is an idiot. He's an arrogant, ignorant, American know-it-all. He's watchable, even funny at times - but the more you watch him (or listen) the more you realize how little he actually knows.

You can say that again...He's also an Apple hater. He would be a great spokes person for Steve Ballmer who also puts everything Apple does down.

I remember back in the day when he was on Silicon Spin, which was on ZDTV (later called TechTV and now known as G4TV) as it was called. After every MacWorld they would also do a round table discussion and he would very rarely ever have anything good to say about what was announced. He would usually have the exact opposite opinion of everyone else.
  • Reply 37 of 101
    Ihnatko is having a "tweetup" tonight around 8ish california time. I'm going to monitor his feed because I'm sure everyone will want to ask him about the inside intel he got from his source about macworld.

Crap thats around 11pm eastern isn't it.

Perhaps I can light a small candle for the mactouch after all. \
  • Reply 38 of 101
    Quote:

Maybe.

Over at macrumors one of the theories is that its going to be an Apple branded LCD television with integrated AppleTV. It would fit in with what Ihnatko mentioned about there being no rumors about this yet.

What do you all think?

I think you stole me thinking/comment and reproduced it. But I have my doubts though. If this TV has LCD technology Steve can stick it where the sun don't shine!
  • Reply 39 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

You can say that again...He's also an Apple hater. He would be a great spokes person for Steve Ballmer who also puts everything Apple does down.

He's just anti-cool, he likes to antagonize people. His parents never gave him the attention he needed probably. I've seen him recommending the iMac over windows boxes several times, and he's agreed the iPhone is the future. But he slandered both loads of times too. He waits till things get popular and just changes his story, he does it all the time. He simply lacks the foresight, and just bullshits his way through it. And like all good bullshitters, he's convinced himself he knows what he's on about.
  • Reply 40 of 101
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

Andy Ihnatko has been around for ages. From the days before the Second Coming of Jobs.

He's a true Mac nerd and smart and often fun Mac journalist.

I have no reason to believe he's phishing for hits. That has never been his style.

I don't follow him but the name has certainly been in circulation for a very long time. That doesn't mean that there isn't the possibility of manipulation here to generate MWSF buzzzz.

Quote:

He has good contacts to Apple and suppliers and it's quite likely that he met up with some old pal who'd spill some beans.

Or simply arranged a deal to slip a bit of info in exchange for some pre show buzz. I know I sound like a cynic but this sort of thing is not unknown in the industry. Considering the over all lack of buzz and good rumors the higher ups at Apple might be thinking that their secrecy has been a bit too good. Seeing the need for some excitement they then plant some info with a long known friend.

Quote:

As exciting as this sounds, it's likely not the iPhone nano, as rumors of it circulated for quite a few days. Ihnatko would know about these and hence his remark that there's no rumor about it yet wouldn't be true.

That and the fact that new iPhones have to come out sooner or later kinda rules that idea out.

Quote:

I'm more inclined to think it's not a new product but a product feature, along the lines of the 17" MacBook Pro having a BlueRay BTO option - being the first Mac supporting that technology.

Or perhaps it now comes with an eSATA port.

Or a quad-core MacBook Pro option.

Or the fact that Snow Leopard is ready for release.

No the tone of the rumor doesn't sound like a feature but rather a product.

As to your specifics:

BlueRay is to soon after Apple called it a bag of hurt. Of course I'd like to be wrong here but that isn't likely and BlueRay really isn't going anywhere fast.

eSATA is stupid on a portable device, the connector just isn't durable enough.

There are plenty of rumors about Quad-Cores in the laptops and even the Mini so one can't say that hasn't been talked about.

Snow Leopard may be ready for release but I wouldn't recommend that anybody jump aboard the first day. If it comes out people should think of it as a technology release until proven stable. In any event this isn't exactly a secret feature either.

Quote:

Something like that.

I'm still search for ideas here. I'm a big fan of the idea of bigger iPhones and iPod Touches or the so called Newton 2. But again that has been talked about for ages so I can't see that as fitting the parameters of this rumor.

Some ideas here that haven't seen much press:

A professional audio input workstation. This would be a FireWire 800 device and have at least 16 tracks in.

Apple TV as in a TV with Apple TV built in has gotten a little press but maybe Andy hasn't heard. The thing is I can see them adding TV to the Cinema displays relatively cheaply. With careful selection of TV hardware everything that is Apple TV 'the product' could be rolled into the Television easily.

A software defined radio receiver. Yah I know but Apple could really put a different twist on this.

Maybe they have worked a deal with RED for a high performance HDTV camera. It would be nice to see even one of REDs low end models be put into mass production. Obviously externally the camera would be simpler but internally it would have REDs sensors and electronics. It could be one hot set up. For RED it would allow some income from the mass market without the trouble of getting involved themselves.

A small RAIDed home / small office server.

An iPhone Video. Not as in movies but as in video phone communications.

Mesh networking on the iPhone and coming tablet products. This of course is a feature not really a product but with a bit more processor horse power and other tech we could have short range video communications.

Apple instrumentation. Ok I'm a bit of a tech guy but it would be really cool to have a DVM / Scope Meter / diagnostic tool with the software and interface that Touch represents. Add in a talking interface and a few other things Apple does well and they could bury more than a few current manufactures. Of course this means largely plastic devices for the handheld market but should not be an issue. Its just the idea of having that Touch interface, connectivity, programmability and usability of Apples Touch devices in a nice little package that is very appealing.

An Apple keyboard to work with GarageBand and Apple synthesis software. This would be focused on the pro and semi pro musicians and composers. Again a FireWire 800 device, that would be able to run off the Firewire port. This would mean processing done on the Mac. The trouble is I'm not sure this can be done fast enough on todays hardware, musicians are very sensitive to delays and piping data over the FireWire port and handling it real time might be an issue.

Apple adds realtime extensions to Mac OS/X. With todays hardware they could dedicate a processor or group of processors to realtime work. It could enable things like #9 above and a whole host of other products that need better than standard Mac OS/X processor support.

Again this is a feature more than an entirely new product but I'd love to see Apple enable the FM receivers in the iPods. Actually I would like to see both AM and FM radio, lets face it there are times when you just need something different when out and about. I'm not sure why they are so stubborn in this respect it is not like FM would add much to the devices since some BluTooth chips come with FM built in.

Apple branded speakers. Maybe with wireless Audio transfer to the power unit / Amplifier. There are a lot of bad products out there and Apple could help out a bit here with something better. Of course this implies that they fix up the BluTooth stack if you want to do audio that way. Then again maybe WiFi is a better choice.

Setup ups for the PODcasting crowd. Here we are talking about maybe 4 mic inputs and a suitably matched set of microphones. It would be designed for the casual PODcaster and far cheaper than the pro board above. The thing that Apple can bring to this is a safe buying experience instead of the run around one gets in the pro audio stores. This is why it would be marketed as a complete setup, with cabling, mixer box, software and whatever else would make a POD caster happy. It would still be a FireWire device though, just because.

There how about that Baker Dozen!

Dave