Rumors fuel hopes for unibody 17-inch MacBook Pro

Comments

• Reply 41 of 74
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Like the Firewire debacle, there will be vociferous opponents to this design.

I'm used to carry extra batteries and I'm all for a screw-accessed battery. Just so long as their are external options available, but since the MBA still doesn't have such an option and the battery duration is quite low, I am doubtful that will coming soon.

Quote:

I wonder if Apple would consider submitting the magsafe port as a standard so that other makers can use it in their systems. It really is a wonderful design.

Not even making it a standard is needed, just charging a royalty like they do with the iPod dock connector would be enough, IMO.
  • Reply 42 of 74
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

The biggest reason they might want to make them non-replaceable by the user is the same reason iPod batteries aren't either. It's more environmentally sound that way.

That depends on your point of view, Europe looks at this in a different manner. Recycling can have it's own issues and unfortunately it creates a disposable scociety. There is a notable amount of churn and waste in the European cell phone market. Here in the US people keep their phones a lot longer.

This doesn't even address that the batteries themselves come in cases. The thing with the Silver Zinc batteries is that the components are relatively safe. This is a huge advantage no matter what preffered method of addressing waste is.

Quote:

The biggest drawback to the technology is the cost of the silver and the need to recycle said silver (and other things) from the battery when it's done. It's pretty much of a no-brainer that if the battery is not removable, less of them will end up in landfills at the end of the day. Apple is likely moving, like many consumer industries are to a 100% take-back program which will also help.

This is somewhat misleading. First; the amount of Silver used is minor. Second; Zinc is extremely plentiful and relatively cheap. Zinc is often the base metal in alloys used for die casting thus it is often reffered to as pot metal.

In any event I'm not in the Zinc industry any more. I still don't understand your logic though as removable batteries make recycling those batteries easier not harder. Especially if you are in a culture that promotes waste like the European union. Also a replaceable battery enables and makes more likely retasking of a device. Many people still have a large number of the iPods they have purchased over the years given each specific tasks to support.

Don't get me wrong I support protection of the environment, but at the same time don't want to see us adopt the wasteful attitude of the European set. I much prefer the wear it out and use it up mind set. The mind set that says let's buy a new cell phone every six months to a year does more harm to the environment than a mandatory recycling plan will solve.

Dave
  • Reply 43 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

While having a "much longer" battery would be beneficial, I don't see what changes Apple could make that would have required a non-user replaceable battery.

I'm guessing something simple, like Apple has worked out that non-removable allows them to have a 10% bigger battery. So then the choice is

1) 10% longer battery life

2) a slight reduction in size of the MBP (3%?)

3) Removable battery

If this is the case, the MBA got #2, the MBP15 got #3, the MBP17 gets #1
  • Reply 44 of 74
    bclapperbclapper Posts: 237member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Don't get me wrong I support protection of the environment, but at the same time don't want to see us adopt the wasteful attitude of the European set. I much prefer the wear it out and use it up mind set. The mind set that says let's buy a new cell phone every six months to a year does more harm to the environment than a mandatory recycling plan will solve.

Not sure I'd agree with that, household recycling makes us think a lot more about the products and packaging we buy here and it's having a significant effect on the retailers & manufacturers
  • Reply 45 of 74
    Quote:

The biggest reason they might want to make them non-replaceable by the user is the same reason iPod batteries aren't either. It's more environmentally sound that way.

Maybe, but I think the vision is different. About 2 years ago, I started to think that Steve (or should I say Apple?) wants any computer to not look like a computer.

At first it was about hiding the computer. People look at an iMac and say "that's the computer!?". They look at the MacMini and say "that's the computer!?". Now they look at an iPhone and say "that's a computer?!". Break preconceptions.

The seamlessness is important and goes further. Remove extraneous parts (eg: the clunky computer box) if possible. He'd prefer solid state if possible. Remove the buttons and any moving parts. Make the products look like a single block if possible.

Make them BE a single block if possible.

Ultimately, he'd like a nano-technology single block supercomputer device, a liquid-style "terminator" in comparison to the arnold-style "terminator" - removing the servos and moving parts.

SO back to reality - now he doesn't want the laptops to look like they're made of multiple parts. A single part looks better, and removing a battery pack could make it even more 'solid'.

ps. I expect he'll want the MacMini and AppleTV to follow the same "single block" feel.
  • Reply 46 of 74
    I would like to upgrade, should it become available. BUT . . . NOT NOT NOT if it has a non-removable battery. I have to switch out my battery constantly as I'm on the road a lot and need the spare. Without that ability the laptop looses most of it's usefulness as a portable device. I deplore the inability of Apple to see the need we end users have for a user-friendly battery change on the run . . . it's the biggest drawback to the iPhone, of which we have two in our household. And it's the primary reason I cannot buy an AIR. Please don't do this. (of course, I realize my plea falls on deaf ears here, especially if it's a done deal.)
  • Reply 47 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

..... it is quite a reasonable assumption that Apple can use that wasted space to add more battery volume and spread it around the chassis more efficiently resulting in a "slimmer" battery. .....

I hope that the 'spreading it around' doesn't, consequently, mean the laptop gets burning hot over a larger area.

My 17" MBP is like a darn hot oven on my lap.......... \
  • Reply 48 of 74
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

I would like to upgrade, should it become available. BUT . . . NOT NOT NOT if it has a non-removable battery. I have to switch out my battery constantly as I'm on the road a lot and need the spare. Without that ability the laptop looses most of it's usefulness as a portable device. I deplore the inability of Apple to see the need we end users have for a user-friendly battery change on the run . . . it's the biggest drawback to the iPhone, of which we have two in our household. And it's the primary reason I cannot buy an AIR. Please don't do this. (of course, I realize my plea falls on deaf ears here, especially if it's a done deal.)

No access to a power source beit 110 AC or a car's cigarette lighter socket? Cripes, you can get an iPhone mobile charger from Walmart for around $10.

And why the animosity?

As for the AIR or Macbook Pro, there's the likes of Quickerteck's external B/Charger*† or Apple Juicz** if you really need battery power.

*http://www.quickertek.com/products/m...ir_charger.php

http://www.quickertek.com/products/m...ro_charger.php

** http://www.quickertek.com/products/apple_juicz.php or http://www.alternativeconsumer.com/2...r-mac-laptops/

Note that the Juicz doesn't work in moonlight. For that you need to start your car and a lot less expensive mobile inverter.

I would gather that you calibrate your battery routinely as suggested here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490
  • Reply 49 of 74
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

I doubt even you believe that.
  • Reply 50 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That would certainly be considerably more environmentally friendly, but I fear that Apple only cares about being green if it helps their bottom line.

It will, if Apple wants to stay ahead of the pack. Good marketing to make us feel different. Anyway I bet all tech companies will be forced by law in a few years.

Quote:

Unfortunately it is not so much with iPod. Too cheap and renewed too often. People forget their previous generation iPods with the outdated color scheme in some drawer, to buy a new shiny one. Things would be a bit different with a $3000 MBP.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

But why didn't they do that with the new MacBooks & MacBook Pros?

Maybe too low end for now. Such feature has to be high end first, for everybody wanting it then. Beside recycling is probably labor intensive, so quite expensive.
  • Reply 51 of 74
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Widowsky View Post

Maybe too low end for now. Such feature has to be high end first, for everybody wanting it then. Beside recycling is probably labor intensive, so quite expensive.

While the 17" MBP is more expensive than the 15", so it's technically higher-end if you go only by price, the fact that 17" model pales in sales to the 15" model means that the R&D, manufacturing, etc. per machine is that much greater for the 17" MBP, so I think that it would behoove Apple to include better battery tech in their 15" model as soon as possible. However, the MBP was just updated a few months ago so I think the best we can hope for at the keynote is an announcement that future Apple products will use Ag battery tech.
  • Reply 52 of 74
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

How is a non-removable battery supposed to be such a fancy-pants high end feature? It's not a new idea, and I don't expect it to be more expensive either.
  • Reply 53 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bclapper View Post

Not sure I'd agree with that, household recycling makes us think a lot more about the products and packaging we buy here and it's having a significant effect on the retailers & manufacturers

It still doesn't deal with the mind set that says: hey lets upgrade my XYZ cell phone every 6 months to a year. There is no way to get around the fact that that is harder on the environment then getting 5 years or so out of a cell phone. I actually believe I got more than 5 years out of my last cell phone before getting an iPhone. I even took it apart and reworked a couple of bad solder joints to correct charging issues. That was done with lead base solder too

Now I don't expect everyone to do their own tech support but the fact remains literally wearing out the cell phone is better than the waste of buying new on a regular schedule. If one wants to improve the environment durability of devices has to be a consideration along with other good practices.

Frankly I'm doing the same thing with my transportation, that is get as much value out of it as possible. Of course there are safety considerations here that eventually maintenance can't deal with effectively. Haven't purchased an HDTV yet either for that matter, though my hand is being force in that regards. Rampant consumerism is really the most hideous problem the environment has right now, recycling really doesn't address the underlying issues at all.

Dave
  • Reply 54 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

How is a non-removable battery supposed to be such a fancy-pants high end feature? It's not a new idea, and I don't expect it to be more expensive either.

Non-removable battery alone is not more expensive. But non-removable battery, using new technology, plus all the recycling process in order to get green credentials would be.

Well, Apple going upfront green is probably in my dreams only...
  • Reply 55 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

I would like to upgrade, should it become available. BUT . . . NOT NOT NOT if it has a non-removable battery. I have to switch out my battery constantly as I'm on the road a lot and need the spare.

If you are constantly on the road then you have a live power source with you all the time. It is your cars 12 VDC system. My pickup truck is like 8 years almost 9 old and it came with two 12 VDC power points in the cab.

Quote:

Without that ability the laptop looses most of it's usefulness as a portable device.

Really get yourself a 12 VDC charger to drive the Power book while you are on the road.

Quote:

I deplore the inability of Apple to see the need we end users have for a user-friendly battery change on the run . . . it's the biggest drawback to the iPhone, of which we have two in our household.

Yeah it is a problem the battery in the iPhone just isn't of the right capacity. You know what humans can adapt and as a human you can make sure that iPhone is on a charger when it can be.

Quote:

And it's the primary reason I cannot buy an AIR. Please don't do this. (of course, I realize my plea falls on deaf ears here, especially if it's a done deal.)

Frankly their are a lot of things about AIR that pissed me off, the built in battery was only a small element here. Since you mentioned AIR though I have to wonder if there is an upgrade to this new battery tech for this machine. That certainly would address at least one issue with this pathetic machine.

As to a done deal all we have are rumors and correlating public disclosures. It is not like it is written in stone yet.

Dave
  • Reply 56 of 74
    Quote:

Non-removable battery alone is not more expensive. But non-removable battery, using new technology, plus all the recycling process in order to get green credentials would be.

We don't even know what the battery is in fact is yet. If you go to ZPower's web site you can read up on it to your hearts content. Yes the battery can be recycled, apparently with a very high rate of recovery. Frankly this post and one of your others highlights why I don't like the so called green movement, it seems to be composed of people that whine before there is any justification, dismiss out of hand people and corporations making real change and expect the rest of the world to follow their lead no matter how delusional the position.

Look at it this way everybody in the industry knows that Lithium batteries are a problem. However until recently there has been little on the market offering competitive power density, so the industry makes do with what they have until the scientist can catch up. It is not an uncommon situation at all and the laptop industry is not the only place that has had to deal with such problems.

Quote:

Well, Apple going upfront green is probably in my dreams only...

I don't think you have a clue or you would have recognized the advancements that Apple has made over the last two years. Nothing in life happens instantly. If Apple does in fact happen to go forward with ZPowers battery it would hopefully be applied to all of Apples portable devices. But that won't happen this year even with hundreds of millions in investment, it just takes time to tool up a factory and more time to debug it.

This doesn't even deal with the reality that some of the Green memes are not based in any sort of rational science but rather are for all appearances the activities of people that appear to get their jollies trying to force change on others just for the sake of change. The desire to recycle everything no matter the economics being just one example. Not that recycling is bad just that it has to make sense to recycle the materials in the first place.

Dave
  • Reply 57 of 74
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by darkpaw View Post

I second that. I've had Mac laptops since about 2002, and never needed a second battery, but have needed to charge up the one battery I did have quite often.

On the rare occasions that I've had the battery run out I've been near a power socket, so...

Back on topic, I would love to swap my current MBP 17" 2.6GHz C2D Santa Rosa (Late 2007) model for a new one with the shiny black-edged screen. I used one of the 15-inch beauties the other day at the Apple Store and they're very very nice. Love the new glass trackpad and the unibody enclosure. (Can't justify swapping this one though, not when I'm buying a house!)

I've had a pb 867, a pb 1.25 and a macbook pro 2.33. I have had to replace batteries in each one.

The 867 couldn't hold a charge after 4 months. The 1.25 I went through 3 batteries. First one wouldn't hold a charge. Second one started causing kernel panics, and the third was recalled. The 2.33 started having kernel panics as well. Thankfully apple replaced the battery free of charge.

BTW all of these were apple batteries.

I think it's unwise for apple not to have removable batteries in their laptops. Especially pro laptops. I always carry 2 batteries with me so I can keep going.

I can see apple having a built in battery and a removable battery so you could swap batteries easily. Not having a removable battery is a huge mistake. Could you imagine the amount of repairs that would be necessary if there were another battery recall? I won't ever buy a 17" mbp, but if they do them to the 17, they'll probably do it to the 15. Apple is already on thin ice with me and their laptops with glossy screens and cutting out firewire (the next 15 better keep fw800).
  • Reply 58 of 74
    I have a first gen 17-inch CoreDuo MBP and I have had two batteries burst open on me surreptitiously. Thanks God I noticed the trackpad was malfuctioning due to the pressure put on it from below by the expanding baterry.

Has this happened to anyone of you folks?

Therefore, I will welcome safer and capacity-improved battery technologies. I do both research and video editing "on the field" so longer-lasting batteries would be a plus.

For me I'm more worried with two other potential issues in a newly designed 17-inch MBP:

1. Glossy-only screens are a hassle for video and photo editing. I hope Apple preserves the matte option but I doubt it given the new stand-alone monitors

2. We need two FireWire ports, preferrably both FW800. Ideally having them on separate buses but that's a pie in the sky.

KHf
  • Reply 59 of 74
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kinohistoria View Post

I have a first gen 17-inch CoreDuo MBP and I have had two batteries burst open on me surreptitiously......

Therefore, I will welcome safer and capacity-improved battery technologies. I do both research and video editing "on the field" so longer-lasting batteries would be a plus.....

KHf

If that's the case I don't know why you would want the new MBP NOT to have a user replaceable battery.

I welcome better battery technology in laptops. But I don't know why the battery can't be removed and replaced by the user.
  • Reply 60 of 74
    Heh... same machine as , kinohistoria, and same scenario too... two bulging batteries. Both of mine bulged on the bottom so it made the whole laptop sit lopsided on a desk... Apple immediately replaced both of them even out of warranty.

I now have a 2008 17" mbp - just watching my battery still though...