Something unexpected at MacWorld.

Comments

• Reply 41 of 101
    daveyjjdaveyjj Posts: 120member
    Andy's mention of "I haven't even seen a RUMOR about this" is odd. I mean, almost everything hardware-wise has been rumoured at one point or another over the past few years. So I have to eliminate anything hardware related in my mind (even the wild, tin-hat stuff).

What would make an Apple fan produce a "big, fist-pumping expression of glee?" This, to me, is the intriguing part, and I'm really wracking my brain over that one.

If, in my own mind, I've eliminated all of the fantastical fan-boy hardware dreams and rumours (even the ones I'd personally like to see), and the usual suspects like new software from Apple, buying out someone like Adobe, being able to run Windows apps without even BootCamp or Parallels etc, and even wilder but still discussed rumours of partnering of with companies like Nintendo, etc, what are we really left with?

Something us fans (and Apple users since the late 1970s in my case) would make us produce a "big, fist-pumping expression of glee" and a huge smile on our faces?

Maybe, just maybe, massive (and I do mean massive) price cuts across all Apple's hardware?

I mean, does taking Apple from their current 10% market share to 20% require a 25% price cut in these economic times?

I don't know, but I'll sure be keeping my eyes on the usual sites on Tuesday morning for their live text feeds.
  • Reply 42 of 101
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveyJJ

What would make an Apple fan produce a "big, fist-pumping expression of glee?" This, to me, is the intriguing part, and I'm really wracking my brain over that one.

We are talking Andy Ihnatko here, it could be literally an Apple audiobook.
  • Reply 43 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Granted.

Steve Ballmer announcing he's staying on as MS CEO forever would also make me pretty happy.
  • Reply 44 of 101
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    if SJ trademark statement is "Oh one more thing"

i guess someone else has to use a new line "and another thing", "oh I forgot this", "Oh this might interest you" "Steve told me to tell you...."

SJ could walk on stage and say "you forgot this", or its my turn now....oh one more thing

something so exciting for the last expo, AND the mac anniversary....

I'm getting rumor fatigue

i'd like a home server to keep all my media on, HP and i think intel anounced theirs, c'mon apple combine it with timemachine etc.
  • Reply 45 of 101
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

What do you mean? Think about it. If this guy who twittered think there is really something hot at macworld then that blows the theory out of the water that only Steve Jobs needs to announce the hot products.

Everyone thinks Phill Schiller is there to announce boring stuff.

But if there is something good then that would mean that either Steve Jobs is trying to train the public into not having to expect him only to announce the good stuff and/or.....Steve Jobs really is sick. =/

A twisted bit of logic, but not entirely impossible.
  • Reply 46 of 101
    It's the NEW Macbook Air. The 17" model.
  • Reply 47 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coldman1 View Post

It's the NEW Macbook Air. The 17" model.

Not enough to get most Apple fans doing a "fist pumping expression of glee" unless it's being sold for $999, I'd think.

I grant that Andy has been known to get excited at "trivial" things, yes. But he's not a "hit smurfette" like Dvorak or an idle speculator. His knowledge and love of things Apple, and his (usually) relative objectivity, ranks up there with Mossberg and Pogue, so maybe he is really on to something.

It is mainly, for me, the odd expressions he's using.

"... a piece of information that will put a big damned smile on the face of any Apple fan" that will put cause a "fist pumping expression of glee" from us types here.

News, that when he was told, "immediately elicited a "NO WAY!!!" & happy grin" from him.

When Apple does something just right, just perfect, and uniquely correct, that's how I always react. A big "Yeah!" and high fives to the other Apple fans in the room. But I get excited about small Apple triumphs easily ... what would cause someone who knows as much as Andy and his ilk about Apple to do the same?

Either something really really cool that we'll all think is super-fly and yell "Cool! No way! About firetruckin' time!", or, as has been suggested, something that only he and Steve think is awesome and rest of us collectively shrug our shoulders about.

I mean, are we talking "change the world stuff" or simply an idea whose time has come. That's why I thought about a significant price cut out of the blue.

Only two days to wait and see.
  • Reply 48 of 101
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

I'd like to introduce another possible wrinkle...

Apple buys Drobo.
  • Reply 49 of 101
    Quote:

I think you stole me thinking/comment and reproduced it. But I have my doubts though. If this TV has LCD technology Steve can stick it where the sun don't shine!

Don't you mean "Phil can stick it where the sun don't shine?"

Then again, don't shoot the messenger, right. . . .?
  • Reply 50 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

Perhaps since he really hates the Mac mini, he doesn't want to talk about it. There could be dozens of reasons he's not attending.

Does Steve really hate the Mac mini, and if so, why? The only reason I can think of is that Steve looks at each Mac mini sale as one less iMac sale.
  • Reply 51 of 101
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crentist View Post

Don't you mean "Phil can stick it where the sun don't shine?"

Then again, don't shoot the messenger, right. . . .?

Yeah, Phil is not the CEO. I have a plasma, Steve has a plasma, but the rest of you can get your LCD
  • Reply 52 of 101
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:

This is fascinating stuff. What if this guy is telling the truth? What if Phil DOES have something really hot to show at macworld? Would that mean that Steve Jobs really is that sick?

The answer to your question is...YES he is sick.

Link
  • Reply 53 of 101
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I'd like to introduce another possible wrinkle...

Apple buys Drobo.

Hmm, I don't think they would do that unless there is something really special about the Drobo that Apple can't replicate. They can make their own expandable drive storage unit if they wanted. It's a beautiful looking JBOD but that's about it.
  • Reply 54 of 101
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Quote:

What do you mean? Think about it. If this guy who twittered think there is really something hot at macworld

He doesn't say "at MacWorld". He says "when it's ready."

So prepare to be disappointed tomorrow.
  • Reply 55 of 101
    Quote:

Yeah, Phil is not the CEO. I have a plasma, Steve has a plasma, but the rest of you can get your LCD

Plasma TVs suck with a capital S! They may (and not always) look a little better but are more prone to failure, aren't anywhere near as efficient as an LCD TV, and don't have the longevity of an LCD TV.
  • Reply 56 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jouster View Post

He doesn't say "at MacWorld". He says "when it's ready."

So prepare to be disappointed tomorrow.

If everyone goes into a MacWorld Keynote like I do and don't know what to expect, don't read too much into rumors, or just don't read about rumors then you have nothing to be disappointed about. Problem is...people read too much into things, get their hopes up for Apple to release something they never, ever had plans for and then get all pissed off at Apple instead of the rumor site the posted a false statement.
  • Reply 57 of 101
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

The answer to your question is...YES he is sick.

Link

Well, more accurately its that he was already sick since the beginning of last year and he took time off to finally have himself treated for the weight loss. And for that he had to take time off that would interfere with the schedule to prepare for a keynote.

Something tells me Macworld is going to have some cool products.
  • Reply 58 of 101
    Quote:

Well, more accurately its that he was already sick since the beginning of last year and he took time off to finally have himself treated for the weight loss. And for that he had to take time off that would interfere with the schedule to prepare for a keynote.

Something tells me Macworld is going to have some cool products.

It's really a tossup, innit? Either prove that Apple can chug along without Steve by having Phil intro something amazing, or have Phil roll out all of the safe, expected incremental updates we expect and save the next mind-blowing product announcement for Steve on the Apple campus...
  • Reply 59 of 101
    Quote:

Wowzer, yeah it adds up alright!

They sell that many at full price? Seems a lot.....
  • Reply 60 of 101
    Quote:

Maybe.

Over at macrumors one of the theories is that its going to be an Apple branded LCD television with integrated AppleTV. It would fit in with what Ihnatko mentioned about there being no rumors about this yet.

What do you all think?

A year ago, there were many rumors (and a long thread at ars) about such a product. Someone posted that it was finished and would be based on a 40" plasma. Never came to anything, of course.