Roxio introduces two versions of Toast 10 Titanium

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Roxio on Monday kicked off its Macworld introductions early by announcing two new versions of its Toast optical disc burning and digital media software that include new capabilities for creating, sharing, and viewing digital content.

Toast 10 Titanium

Immediately available as a direct download for $99.99, Toast 10 Titanium introduces Mac2TiVo for sending standard definition and HD video content from a Mac to a TiVo DVR, and also adds an audiobook creator for converting audiobook CDs into files compatible with portable devices.

Also new to version 10 is an AVCHD Archive feature for quickly backing up original content from high-definition camcorders onto DVD or Blu-ray Discs, and a Web video file capture and conversion tool that allows web-based video to be viewed on DVD or mobile devices.

Among the other feature additions provided by the standard version of Toast 10 are Folder Sync for synchronizing folders bi-directionally between multiple computers, network volumes or external hard disks; Music Builder for capturing streaming audio and automatically splitting captured songs into tracks that are then sent to iTunes; and an "On-the-go Entertainment" function that will allow users to stream and watch television programs -- such as EyeTV recordings and TiVoToGo transfers -- on their iPhone or iPod touch over Wi-Fi with a new iPhone native application called Streamer.

An accompanying High Definition/Blu-ray Disc plug-in, which is needed to author Blu-ray Disc video, is sold separately for $19.99 but is being made available free of charge for those customers who purchase Toast 10 Titanium online through February 5, 2009.

Toast 10 Titanium Pro

Separately, Roxio has also announced Toast 10 Titanium Pro for $149.99, which it's aiming at prosumers, creative professionals and designers, as well as photo and video hobbyists.

In addition to offering everything available in Toast 10 Titanium, the Pro version includes the High Definition/Blu-ray Disc plug-in and bundles four third-party applications for developing advanced photo, video, and audio projects.

The third party apps include SmartSound Sonicfire for orchestrating sound tracks to accompany videos and slideshows, and BIAS SoundSoap for removing unwanted noise like wind, hisses, scratches, and pops from LPs, cassettes, or almost any audio, music or video soundtrack.

For photo professionals, Toast 10 Titanium Pro also includes LightZone and FotoMagico. The former delivers features such as zone mapping and relight, while the latter promises to turn sets of photos into slideshows with a few simple clicks, which can then be presented in high definition or burnt to DVD or Blu-ray Disc.

Rebates

Roxio is also offering $20 rebates on both versions (1, 2) of Toast 10 for previous owners of Easy Media Creator, Easy CD & DVD Creator, Easy CD & DVD Burning, Easy DVD Copy, PhotoSuite, VideoWave, Toast Titanium, Popcorn, Record Now, MyDVD, DVD It, and Backup MyPC.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    I have not been following Toast developments. Anybody know if there have been improvements in the Blu-ray authoring? Can we do menus now? (We could before, but I mean able to name the chapters and change titles, drop in our own backgrounds etc. )
  • Reply 2 of 41
    Unless Apple announces something Blu-Ray related tomorrow, I will get Toast to dabble with BR; I may need to start producing on BR from later this year...
  • Reply 3 of 41
    Can Toast do what HandBreak does, convert DVD's to MP4?

Does it support multi-core processing?
  • Reply 4 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Says right on Roxio's page that it won't convert encrypted DVD video. HandBrake can't get around every encryption, but it's still the best way to go.
  • Reply 5 of 41
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Does it support multi-core processing?

Legally I don't think Roxio wants to allow converting/copying of copyrighted material.
  • Reply 6 of 41
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Roxio on Monday kicked off its Macworld introductions early by announcing two new versions of its Toast optical disc burning and digital media software ... for $99.99 ...

I always feel kind of sad and nostalgic when a new version of Toast comes out. What used to be a ubiquitous, standardised, easy-to-use and very helpful product in the early days, has become one of the most bloated pieces of crapware available. I don't know anyone but my Mum that's used it for at least five versions.

It now costs more than the entire iLife suite, more than iWork, and more than academic versions of MS Office. All of it's functionality can also be obtained basically for free or is already present at the OS level. It's main claim to fame is that the interface supposedly puts a wrapper around what are OS level duties and makes doing the tasks easier, but most users have a horrible time with it in my experience.

Why, in this day and age should there even *be* a program that's whole raison d'être is basically formatting disks and transferring data from one to another? Would you have bought a $90 dollar program that formatted floppy disks in 1995? There is probably ten times the work going into some five dollar app store apps at this point.
  • Reply 7 of 41
    Toast 9 was announced just over 9 months ago. Isn't this a bit soon for another upgrade? I mean, it cost $80 for the upgrade to 9 and now just 9 months later they want another $80 to upgrade to 10. I am one that is not paying another $80 for a new update that should have probably been part of the last update since they came out with it so soon.

I haven't updated with each new release, but if they were $80 each time, I would have spent over $700 for this program since I first got it years ago. They need to lower the upgrade costs more.

I am sticking with Toast 9 for now.
  • Reply 8 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uncledeercamp View Post

Says right on Roxio's page that it won't convert encrypted DVD video. HandBrake can't get around every encryption, but it's still the best way to go.

"DVD" (MPEG-2) does not necessarily mean "encrypted". Also, Handbrake does not copy encrypted file types. So, yes, Toast will do what Handbrake does - convert MPEG-2 to MP4.
  • Reply 9 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rods5 View Post

I've been sticking with version 6. Still works great.
  • Reply 10 of 41
    ktappektappe Posts: 823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

I've been sticking with version 6. Still works great.

Not on newer Macs it doesn't. It doesn't know how to drive newer optical drives. I tried it--it won't work on Core 2 Duo iMacs, for example.
  • Reply 11 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

Not on newer Macs it doesn't. It doesn't know how to drive newer optical drives. I tried it--it won't work on Core 2 Duo iMacs, for example.

Toast 6 is working fine on my 4 core Mac Pro running Leopard.
  • Reply 12 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

I always feel kind of sad and nostalgic when a new version of Toast comes out. What used to be a ubiquitous, standardised, easy-to-use and very helpful product in the early days, has become one of the most bloated pieces of crapware available. I don't know anyone but my Mum that's used it for at least five versions.

It now costs more than the entire iLife suite, more than iWork, and more than academic versions of MS Office. All of it's functionality can also be obtained basically for free or is already present at the OS level. It's main claim to fame is that the interface supposedly puts a wrapper around what are OS level duties and makes doing the tasks easier, but most users have a horrible time with it in my experience.

Why, in this day and age should there even *be* a program that's whole raison d'être is basically formatting disks and transferring data from one to another? Would you have bought a $90 dollar program that formatted floppy disks in 1995? There is probably ten times the work going into some five dollar app store apps at this point.

Agreed, Roxio developers should be embarrassed to put out such shoddy bug-ridden software.

Visit the toast forums and look at how many unresolved serious bugs there are in each version.

Their solution... upgrade to our new "less" buggy version.

Quote:

Toast 9 was announced just over 9 months ago. Isn't this a bit soon for another upgrade? I mean, it cost $80 for the upgrade to 9 and now just 9 months later they want another $80 to upgrade to 10. I am one that is not paying another $80 for a new update that should have probably been part of the last update since they came out with it so soon.

I haven't updated with each new release, but if they were $80 each time, I would have spent over $700 for this program since I first got it years ago. They need to lower the upgrade costs more.

It's always too soon to give them one red cent.
  • Reply 13 of 41
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

I am annoyed by this as well. I bought Toast 9 specifically for the TiVo editing feature and it didn't even work! The video was edited, but the audio was left intact, ruining the video. Their tech support sucked, and their suggestions applied to Windows XP! Bunch of dorks can't even figure out support for Mac, for a Mac only product!

Had to wait until Nov 2008 for them to release 9.0.4 to fix the problem! Now that it is fixed, it is great editing and converting TiVo recorded content. However, HD programs don't really burn to DVD very well. Picture quality is DVD quality, but seems to be jumpy whenever the scene pans on screen. Going to try it again with another movie recorded from HDNet. Don't know if it is Toast's MPEG2 converter, or something else. SD content seems fine converting to DVD.

I got 4 with my original SCSI burner years ago, bought 5 and 6. Skipped 7, and bought 8 for the TiVo transfer feature. Then I bought 9 for the editing feature. I won't be buying 10, doesn't seem to offer any features I need. Toast 10 should have been released as Toast 9. But with their track record, you can be sure it will be full of bugs!
  • Reply 14 of 41
    Gah. I hate Toast.
  • Reply 15 of 41
    freenyfreeny Posts: 128member
    apple, please give me a reason to drop my god awful tivo and toast transferring.... pleeeeeeze....
  • Reply 16 of 41
    duecesdueces Posts: 89member
    Wake me up when it hits the torrents.
  • Reply 17 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

"DVD" (MPEG-2) does not necessarily mean "encrypted". Also, Handbrake does not copy encrypted file types. So, yes, Toast will do what Handbrake does - convert MPEG-2 to MP4.

Handbrake does decrypt commercial DVD's, most of them anyway, if you want to convert the DVD for the iPod, or other portable device. The latest version still does decryption as long as you have VLC installed. Or you can use Mac The Ripper to decrypt the DVD and then use Toast to make a backup copy or conversion to a portable device or AppleTV.

Toast can make copies of non-encrypted DVD's, as well as convert to other formats.
  • Reply 18 of 41
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I have Toast version 6 and see no reason to upgrade... ever.
  • Reply 19 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

Toast 6 is working fine on my 4 core Mac Pro running Leopard.

An iMac and a Mac Pro have completely different optical drives. The iMac using a slot-load drive and the Mac Pro using the standard 5.25" drive. Toast 6 may recognize more full size drives, but not as many slot-loading drives, especially new ones. So count yourself lucky that Toast 6 still recognizes your drive.
  • Reply 20 of 41
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dueces View Post

Wake me up when it hits the torrents.

lol

+1