Something unexpected at MacWorld.

Comments

• Reply 61 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

Hmm, I don't think they would do that unless there is something really special about the Drobo that Apple can't replicate. They can make their own expandable drive storage unit if they wanted. It's a beautiful looking JBOD but that's about it.

Yeah, I suppose. Not sure if there are patents Drobo owns that would make them a particularly inviting acquisition.
  • Reply 62 of 101
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

It's really a tossup, innit? Either prove that Apple can chug along without Steve by having Phil intro something amazing, or have Phil roll out all of the safe, expected incremental updates we expect and save the next mind-blowing product announcement for Steve on the Apple campus...

I don't see why it has to be Steve Jobs that releases the next big thing. Whats the difference? The keynotes are prepared weeks in advance regardless of who is giving the keynote speech. Its not who ever gives the keynote is going to leave out important details, its all in the preparation of the keynote presentation (which I doubt Steve Jobs does). Eventually were all gonna have to get used to Apple presentations without Steve Jobs. I'm not going to not buy a newly announced product just because someone other than Steve Jobs was there to announce the release.
  • Reply 63 of 101
    Quote:

I'd like to introduce another possible wrinkle...

Apple buys Drobo.

Apple would be better off buying TiVo so it can use its technologies for not only AppleTV, but possibly software to be built into Mac OS X natively, or perhaps iLife.
  • Reply 64 of 101
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It sounds like he's pointing to something else. Trouble is, what impresses him may not impress everyone. I've heard people say things like this before such as for the Macbook Air and it's an ok machine but it's not something that I particularly care about.

Yeah, like Ginger/It (Segway).
  • Reply 65 of 101
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Apple would be better off buying TiVo so it can use its technologies for not only AppleTV, but possibly software to be built into Mac OS X natively, or perhaps iLife.

Not to mention they'd acquire all of the existing agreements with content providers. A TiVo acquisition could be another good direction for the pre-MacWorld hype to concentrate...
  • Reply 66 of 101
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I'd like to see that. The DVR that comes with Timewarner has a crap interface compared to my 6 year old Sony Tivo. If the Tivo supported more than 30 hours of programming and HD i would never even bother with the cable provided DVR.
  • Reply 67 of 101
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Glee...what would make me gleeful?

aTV transformed into a modern day Pippin? I would only be gleeful if there were some awesome launch titles and a stable of solid 1st and 2nd party dev houses. But yeah, it's in the right product category for glee.

Still though, not every mac fan would see that as glee making material.
  • Reply 68 of 101
    Here's my prediction: Apple brings the iPhone to Verizon Wireless.

Since Andy Ihnatko is an iPhone junkie, this is sure enough to make his face light up with glee. Also, no rumor site has predicted this one yet... there have been rumors of a CDMA iPhone, but not specifically one for Verizon. But if you look at the pieces of the puzzle, they all fall into place.

-Verizon just acquired Alltel, and will start transitioning Alltel customers (except in divesture areas) tomorrow, 1/6/09.

-In addition to "Our Circle" (Verizon's version of Alltel's MyCircle, rumored to be launching tomorrow), Verizon probably will want to launch some cool new "halo phone" to coincide with the merger closing.

-The Verizon/Alltel merger closing has been accelerated to 1/6/09 from 1/9/09, according to a conference call with Alltel and Verizon Wireless employees posted on a cell phone board. MWSF is also on 1/6/09. See a coincidence? I think so.

BTW, I hope this happens... I will NOT switch to AT&T for reasons I'd prefer not to mention, and Mac syncing for my 2-month-old BlackBerry sucks.
  • Reply 69 of 101
    Maybe. It certainly would make a lot of people happy here in the states.
  • Reply 70 of 101
    crentistcrentist Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

I'd like to see that. The DVR that comes with Timewarner has a crap interface compared to my 6 year old Sony Tivo. If the Tivo supported more than 30 hours of programming and HD i would never even bother with the cable provided DVR.

Keep in mind that Steve recently said that Apple TV would remain a "Hobby" throughout 2009. I would think that any redesign/DVR/AppleTV+TV combo would be considered more than just a hobby, so I would be inclined to rule out Apple TV as the unexpected product.

Can anyone remember this statement by Jobs? It was mentioned within the last few weeks on AI - possibly the latest Jobs interview with CNET or CNBC?
  • Reply 71 of 101
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    App store on AppleTV?
  • Reply 72 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crentist View Post

Keep in mind that Steve recently said that Apple TV would remain a "Hobby" throughout 2009. I would think that any redesign/DVR/AppleTV+TV combo would be considered more than just a hobby, so I would be inclined to rule out Apple TV as the unexpected product.

Can anyone remember this statement by Jobs? It was mentioned within the last few weeks on AI - possibly the latest Jobs interview with CNET or CNBC?

Its only a hobby so Apple can hide the fact that they still haven't gotten this box right and people aren't buying it like they expected. Once it goes like wildfire it will no longer remain a "hobby" in Apple's eyes.
  • Reply 74 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iNtel iNside View Post

Here's my prediction: Apple brings the iPhone to Verizon Wireless.

Since Andy Ihnatko is an iPhone junkie, this is sure enough to make his face light up with glee. Also, no rumor site has predicted this one yet... there have been rumors of a CDMA iPhone, but not specifically one for Verizon. But if you look at the pieces of the puzzle, they all fall into place.

-Verizon just acquired Alltel, and will start transitioning Alltel customers (except in divesture areas) tomorrow, 1/6/09.

-In addition to "Our Circle" (Verizon's version of Alltel's MyCircle, rumored to be launching tomorrow), Verizon probably will want to launch some cool new "halo phone" to coincide with the merger closing.

-The Verizon/Alltel merger closing has been accelerated to 1/6/09 from 1/9/09, according to a conference call with Alltel and Verizon Wireless employees posted on a cell phone board. MWSF is also on 1/6/09. See a coincidence? I think so.

BTW, I hope this happens... I will NOT switch to AT&T for reasons I'd prefer not to mention, and Mac syncing for my 2-month-old BlackBerry sucks.

As much as I hope this is true. I highly doubt it will happen. But believe me, I'd be the first in line to get a new iPhone if this is the case.
  • Reply 75 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whoami View Post

App store on AppleTV?

Unless Apple updates the AppleTV software so you can run iPod Touch/iPhone apps I wouldn't see the point in doing this.
  • Reply 76 of 101
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Judging by his choice of words, it's either a partnership, an acquisition or a change in business model/price for a certain app.

Some examples:

iWork and/or iLife going free again

iWork + iLife in 1 cheap bundle

MobileMe free for all OSX users

Apple buys Logitech

Partnership with NVidia, graphic cards with unique features, Mac-only.
  • Reply 77 of 101
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:

I'd like to introduce another possible wrinkle...

Apple buys Drobo.

Yup. I'm surprised that hasn't happened already, to be honest.

Mac Pro with integrated Drobo, etc.
  • Reply 78 of 101
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jouster View Post

They sell that many at full price? Seems a lot.....

Apple sold 5 million copies of Leopard in 3 months:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/15/a...-three-months/

10 million over the course of an OS version is easily possible. Plus, they likely charge for the OS when you buy a computer despite it being bundled. Perhaps not the full amount given that it only works on that model but there will be a charge.
  • Reply 79 of 101
    How about an TV with built in hulu/streaming TV support?
  • Reply 80 of 101
    daveyjjdaveyjj Posts: 120member
    OK, here's a wild guess.

10" Mac Air = Apple's net book.

10" screen, ultra-thin (like the Air), SSD only (prices have tumbled), 9400M, 2-1/4 pounds.

$1099.

Who'd buy one?