Official Macworld 2009 Prediction Thread

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 151
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    The most interesting part of all this is that Apple isn't going to kickstart the multi-billion dollar eBook market and then just hand it over to Adobe.

I say Apple either buys Quark and adds it to their Pro Apps collection, or they have something even better cooking in a lab somewhere.
  • Reply 142 of 151
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

The most interesting part of all this is that Apple isn't going to kickstart the multi-billion dollar eBook market and then just hand it over to Adobe.

I say Apple either buys Quark and adds it to their Pro Apps collection, or they have something even better cooking in a lab somewhere.

Well, it will at least have to be a wireless device to receive updates anywhere, anytime. The Kindle has a deal with Cingular(?) for low-level free (to the user) wireless... how would Apple blow every other product out of the water and keep their 2 to 3 year development advantage over their competitors? Might they want to buy out eInk or a similar company?
  • Reply 143 of 151
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Back to the Predictions. We're less than three hours away from third party press releases being posted, so I need to go on the record.

Here's what I think will be announced:

Software:

• iWork '09 (and its MobileMe companion)

• iLife '09 (with seriously upgraded iMovie and one new iLife app)

• Filemaker 10

• Snow Leopard preview. All previous goodies announced, with Time Machine now able to restore a hard drive in an hour. Jobs will chime in on upgrade to iChat, just to prove he's okay. Date for release announced for April.

• Showcase of MYOB AccountEdge 2009, just to spank Intuit for lack of Quicken/QuickBooks updates

• Discounted deal to buy Adobe CS4 with every new Mac, because Adobe needs the sales.

Hardware:

• New Mac Mini, Apple's recession-era secret weapon.

Firewire 800, Mini-DisplayPort, no DVI, SATA with extra hard drive capability.

• Low-key or silent upgrade to iMac specs.

• iPod Touch upgraded.

• 20" and 30" counterparts to the Cinema Display line.

• One More Thing: Whatever it is that has Andy I. so excited. DEFINITELY NOT A TABLET PC OR MINITOWER.

Not going to happen:

Final Cut Suite, Phenomenon or new Mac Pro. That out-of-this-world, Snow Leopard-ready-to-rock combo will be showcased in the Spring.

Also, iPhone update will be announced later.
  • Reply 144 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

• One More Thing: Whatever it is that has Andy I. so excited. DEFINITELY NOT A TABLET PC OR MINITOWER.

Well, let's review the kind of stuff that Andy gets 'excited' about...

-Comic book fonts

-Text editors (Scrivener)

-Simple video cameras (Flip Mino HD)

-Star Wars stuff

-Lord of the Rings stuff

-(anyone else?)

(by the way, all of this gleaned from his appearances on TWiT with Leo Laporte)

Also, here is the actual quote from his web site:

Quote:

And there was even a small bit of Business. I now have a piece of information that will put a big damned smile on the face of any Apple fan. Just a big, fist-pumping expression of glee.

No, I can’t tell you what it is.

Yes, I’m just a big no-fun jerk.

See, before I was told this thing, I agreed to go off the record. Then I was told that thing, and I immediately said that I took back what I said about going off the record because this was just too damned cool. But…a promise is indeed a promise. I wouldn’t even be saying this much if I hadn’t cleared it first.

• Reply 145 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

My predictions:

[The Mac. A cube Mac in the same vein as the PowerMac G4 Cube.
    • 8x8x8 cube

• Big enough to house a full size optical drive

• 3.5" hard drive

• 7.6x7.6 motherboard

• 3 DIMM slots for triple channel DDR3

• Core i7 processor (2.6-3.2GHz)

• 1 PCIe 16x slot

• External power supply

• $799 for 2.66GHz - 3GB RAM - 250GB HDD - Radeon HD 2400

• $1299 for 2.93GHz - 3GB RAM - 320GB HDD - Radeon HD 2600

• $1999 for 3.2GHz - 3GB RAM - 500GB HDD - NVIDIA 8800GT

I'd buy it.

My guess is a perfectly lovely market overview

a review of Mac OS 10.6. A rough idea of the release date.

If we're getting an all singing, all dancing tablet that will probably be the one hardware item introduced.

more likely would be a Mini and iMac rev

Both with an Nvidia chipset. .

I wonder if the mini might get a Unibody all aluminum case. Not what I'm hoping for but it seems plausible.

Things coming later:

17" unibody MacBook pro

Substantial update to Mac Pro

mysterious touch doohickey

My guess for the Andy Ihnatko mystery item would be an as yet unveiled "killer feature" for 10.6. He seems to get really excited about software automation that works in a really clever way. Maybe MobileMe will finally become all that it can be (in the general vein of 10.6 being a bug fix). iWork will allow me to seamlessly work on a Doc no matter what device I am on (and there is always a current copy of my Doc on every device). The ideal would be that I no longer have to think about file management (with Time machine managing backups).
  • Reply 146 of 151
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hassan i Sabbah View Post

I've been saying for years that a tablet is an utterly retarded, Apple fanwank fantasy that would serve no purpose and would never happen. I posted in tablet threads to ask 'And people would use this to do... what?' or to urge people to abandon the thread, because such threads are annoying, and useless, and pointless.

[Clears throat.]

There's going to be a flat, glass touch thingy about as big as a Kindle or a Sony Reader, and you'll turn the pages of your stolen or ripped books by flicking them, and it's going to launch with an iBooks store or something, but you can use it to play music and do your calendar stuff, and I'd imagine edit documents with iWork '09 web apps, and you'll watch films on it

and

it's going to be a frigging TABLET, OK?

It's going to be really great and it's going to devastate the publishing industry and now writers like me can join our musician friends complaining that we're never going to get paid again and we'll go out and get proper jobs instead.

This is definitely going to happen. I hate Apple.

Well, that's sorta a tablet but a specialized one really.
  • Reply 147 of 151
    So when are things actually gonna be released?

Today?

Tomorrow?

Friday?

How come it seems like nothing interesting has happened today?
  • Reply 148 of 151
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mountain dewd View Post

Today?

Tomorrow?

Friday?

Maybe because the Keynote, such as it is, will be tomorrow, Tuesday, January 6?
  • Reply 148 of 151
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mountain dewd View Post

Today?

Tomorrow?

Friday?

Tomorrow (Tuesday) we'll know for sure.
  • Reply 150 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BobtheTomato View Post

I'd buy it.

If it's an 8x8x8 inch cube, it won't have a PCIe slot. Almost all graphics cards are at least that long or longer.
  • Reply 151 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Well, that's sorta a tablet but a specialized one really.

Well, yeah... agreed.

But in the same way that the iPod went from an MP3 player to a photo-wallet, internet-browsing, all-singing, all dancing, blowjob-giving organiser, consider: a newspaper that updates itself every morning and reminds you of stuff and can also be a copy of the new Phillip Roth novel (flick through those pages!) and a thing you pay your bills on and buy tunes and flowers for your mum on her birthday...

... and maybe you can prop it on your pillow and iChat with your girlfriend..

...and stream the news on it...

would be quite cool. I cannot believe it: I actually want this... this... 'tablet.' And I am not a waiter or a traffic warden.

PLEASE APPLE DO NOT START AN EBOOKS STORE. I don't want people stealing my shit by downloading it from blogs!