Something unexpected at MacWorld.

1235

Comments

  • Reply 81 of 101
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 12,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by troberts View Post


    Does Steve really hate the Mac mini, and if so, why? The only reason I can think of is that Steve looks at each Mac mini sale as one less iMac sale.



    As the title implies, does anybody really believe that Apple would sell a product that Steve doesn't like? Lets face it he apparently has final say on just about anything that goes out the door with an Apple logo on it.



    Frankly I think the Mini is a rather neat machine and fills a specific niche in the market. It is not for everybody but then again neither is the Mac Pro. In any event it really shouldn't surprise anybody that Apple doesn't focus a lot of development effort on Mini, it is a low cost, low margin machine that sells well.



    I would expect to see the same sort of management of the replacement Mini. That is a new machine will arrive that leaps frogs the current machine and then stays in the market place for a couple of years until technology catches up with it.



    Dave
  • Reply 82 of 101
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post


    Unless Apple updates the AppleTV software so you can run iPod Touch/iPhone apps I wouldn't see the point in doing this.



    wouldn't that be a given?
  • Reply 83 of 101
    rtdunhamrtdunham Posts: 428member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post


    Andy Ihnatko has been around for ages. From the days before the Second Coming of Jobs.

    He's a true Mac nerd and smart and often fun Mac journalist.

    I have no reason to believe he's phishing for hits. That has never been his style.



    He has good contacts to Apple and suppliers and it's quite likely that he met up with some old pal who'd spill some beans.





    here's a pic: ihnatko's the dude on the right; i think that's chris breen moderating, at left. This was at MWSF 2007, where three or four pundits staged a quiz show re: things apple.



    http://www.albinotricolors.com/images/ihnatkopanel.jpg
  • Reply 84 of 101
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 4,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whoami View Post


    wouldn't that be a given?



    I dunno...you're the one who asked the question. Its never safe to assume!
  • Reply 85 of 101
    crentistcrentist Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post


    Its only a hobby so Apple can hide the fact that they still haven't gotten this box right and people aren't buying it like they expected. Once it goes like wildfire it will no longer remain a "hobby" in Apple's eyes.



    Found the quote I referenced above:



    Quote:

    Asked about the "digital living room opportunity and how it relates to Apple TV," Jobs replied, "well again I think the whole category is still a hobby right now. I don't think anybody has succeeded at it. And actually the experimentation has slowed down. A lot of the early companies that were trying things have faded away."



    "So I have to say that given the economic conditions, given the venture capital outlook and stuff, I continue to believe that it will be a hobby in 2009."



    Link: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...cheap_pcs.html



    Steve seemed pretty certain that Apple TV would not take off this year. Often Steve mentions that he is "very excited" about products "in the pipeline" only to reveal that he was referring to spec upgrades on notebooks, etc. With this in mind, when Steve Jobs says that he doesn't think the Apple TV business will take off this year, I will tend to believe him.



    I would, however, love to be proven wrong come tomorrow.



    As far as App Store for Apple TV is concerned, I don't believe that is quite necessary. I think that Apple could greatly improve the appeal of the Apple TV by simply building in a few apps of their own: Weather, Calendar, Stocks, RSS Viewer would be easy as pie. Minimal text entry would be required. In fact, a Mail *Viewer* could even be added, although I suspect that users would rightfully be up in arms until bluetooth wireless keyboards were recognized for replying to said messages.
  • Reply 86 of 101
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 31,316member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iNtel iNside View Post


    Here's my prediction: Apple brings the iPhone to Verizon Wireless.



    Since Andy Ihnatko is an iPhone junkie, this is sure enough to make his face light up with glee. Also, no rumor site has predicted this one yet... there have been rumors of a CDMA iPhone, but not specifically one for Verizon. But if you look at the pieces of the puzzle, they all fall into place.



    -Verizon just acquired Alltel, and will start transitioning Alltel customers (except in divesture areas) tomorrow, 1/6/09.

    -In addition to "Our Circle" (Verizon's version of Alltel's MyCircle, rumored to be launching tomorrow), Verizon probably will want to launch some cool new "halo phone" to coincide with the merger closing.

    -The Verizon/Alltel merger closing has been accelerated to 1/6/09 from 1/9/09, according to a conference call with Alltel and Verizon Wireless employees posted on a cell phone board. MWSF is also on 1/6/09. See a coincidence? I think so.



    BTW, I hope this happens... I will NOT switch to AT&T for reasons I'd prefer not to mention, and Mac syncing for my 2-month-old BlackBerry sucks.



    You may be a winner!
  • Reply 87 of 101
    irelandireland Posts: 17,649member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iNtel iNside View Post


    Here's my prediction: Apple brings the iPhone to Verizon Wireless.



    Since Andy Ihnatko is an iPhone junkie, this is sure enough to make his face light up with glee. Also, no rumor site has predicted this one yet... there have been rumors of a CDMA iPhone, but not specifically one for Verizon. But if you look at the pieces of the puzzle, they all fall into place.



    -Verizon just acquired Alltel, and will start transitioning Alltel customers (except in divesture areas) tomorrow, 1/6/09.

    -In addition to "Our Circle" (Verizon's version of Alltel's MyCircle, rumored to be launching tomorrow), Verizon probably will want to launch some cool new "halo phone" to coincide with the merger closing.

    -The Verizon/Alltel merger closing has been accelerated to 1/6/09 from 1/9/09, according to a conference call with Alltel and Verizon Wireless employees posted on a cell phone board. MWSF is also on 1/6/09. See a coincidence? I think so.



    BTW, I hope this happens... I will NOT switch to AT&T for reasons I'd prefer not to mention, and Mac syncing for my 2-month-old BlackBerry sucks.



    So basically an good thing for American's only, great stuff. And yes, the sarcasm is strong in this one. If this is what Ihnatko is so excited about I will be slightly pissed, more than slightly. Fuck!!
  • Reply 88 of 101
    irelandireland Posts: 17,649member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveyJJ View Post


    OK, here's a wild guess.



    10" Mac Air = Apple's net book.



    10" screen, ultra-thin (like the Air), SSD only (prices have tumbled), 9400M, 2-1/4 pounds.



    $1099.



    Who'd buy one?



    I wouldn't buy one. I'd buy 5 of them, I'd lay them out on the kitchen table in a circle, open up the photo app on each one, and keep running round the table sliding though the complete photo library, all the time shouting; "Mac touch, Mac touch, Mac touch!!"



    Really though, if it was the SSD tablet I desperately want I'd buy one.
  • Reply 89 of 101
    So I think AppleInsider just spilled Andy's beans... DRM-free music and 3G downloads... i think Andy would more than just smile about this.
  • Reply 90 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sergem View Post


    So I think AppleInsider just spilled Andy's beans... DRM-free music and 3G downloads... i think Andy would more than just smile about this.



    SPOILER!!!



    Mr. X says Snow Leopard will be released tomorrow!
  • Reply 91 of 101
    Found a link to the news article - yep, this looks like it:



    http://www.theonion.com/content/vide..._revolutionary



    -Gator
  • Reply 92 of 101
    irelandireland Posts: 17,649member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


    SPOILER!!!



    Mr. X says Snow Leopard will be released tomorrow!



    How does this person say "you may remember me", but has a post count of 1?
  • Reply 93 of 101
    daveyjjdaveyjj Posts: 120member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sergem View Post


    So I think AppleInsider just spilled Andy's beans... DRM-free music and 3G downloads... i think Andy would more than just smile about this.



    That's it? Hmm. No glee here. Andy needs a reality check if that's it.
  • Reply 94 of 101
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    So obviously he was talking about the iTunes announcement. The No-DRM, tiered pricing, iPhone 3G downloads. Because iLife and iWorks was expected at least to some degree.
  • Reply 95 of 101
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,901member
    How can he stand up there and so enthusiastically disappoint so many users? Embarrassing!
  • Reply 96 of 101
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Latest posts:
    Quote:

    The Big Secret was not revealed during the !stevenote



    I promise you all that the Big Secret is indeed real, is indeed very cool, and when it becomes public I'll point it out



    From the beginning it was clear he was not talking about this being announced at MacWorld.
  • Reply 97 of 101
    irelandireland Posts: 17,649member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by murk View Post


    Latest posts:



    From the beginning it was clear he was not talking about this being announced at MacWorld.



    Care to explain why is so "clear" ?
  • Reply 98 of 101
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by murk View Post


    Latest posts:



    Quote:

    The Big Secret was not revealed during the !stevenote



    I promise you all that the Big Secret is indeed real, is indeed very cool, and when it becomes public I'll point it out



    From the beginning it was clear he was not talking about this being announced at MacWorld.



    Why is something that is a "Big Secret" and "indeed very cool" need to be pointed out AFTER it becomes public?



  • Reply 99 of 101
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    Care to explain why is so "clear" ?



    He got the rumor at MacWorld. No where did he say it would be announced there. In face he said it will "be ready when it's announced".
  • Reply 100 of 101
    irelandireland Posts: 17,649member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by murk View Post


    He got the rumor at MacWorld. No where did he say it would be announced there. In face he said it will "be ready when it's announced".



    If you go back and ready those Tweets you get a feeling he was meaning Macworld. That much was obvious, at least it seemed to feel that way to everyone, but you. But I also get your point. It would seem a little amateurish the way Ihnatko didn't even mention that it might not make an appearance on the stage, he very likely would have been told though. I don't know, I guess I'm just pissed off that he dropped a very vague suggestive "rumor" the night before the friggin' keynote. He should have just keep it shut.
Sign In or Register to comment.