Apple sued over defective iMac displays

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    Apple should replace these screens and kiss your ass while doing it. Jobs can get replaced by Balmer.
  • Reply 22 of 49
    BS they are refusing repairs.

My buddy had this same exact issue with this intel 17" white imac, took it into the apple store, they fixed it for free because they said it was a known issue. He didn't even have applecare!

Now if we really want to harp on Apple ignoring known issues, lets talk about the first make of the 30" displays... I'd like to meet some people who still own them from the first batch and don't have the blue/green artifact issue?

Apple refuses to acknowledge there was an issue, yet the 2nd batch they made didn't have the issue?
  • Reply 23 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by federmoose View Post

My understanding is that Apple won't fix out-of-warranty, and that's what the suit is about, considering that they allege that "the one-year display warranties are ?invalid and not enforceable."" That claim is complete bogus, and the suit will fail.

Warranty status is irrelevant. The plaintiffs allege Apple *knew* about a significant product defect while selling?a textbook case of fraud. Apple has had an obligation to replace the defective merchandise or refund the purchase price. If Apple loses the case, it'll rightly be out attorneys' fees, punitive damages, and repair/replacement costs.

This isn't the first problem Apple has had w/ quality control, nor the first time they've been recalcitrant to admit to or fix their mistakes. A swift kick in the ass, rather than a nibble, may encourage them to change their MO.
  • Reply 24 of 49
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:

AppleCare is incredible. They replace everything, for free, no questions asked. I have had 2 entire computers replaced by apple for very minor issues (and sometimes software, not hardware issues). AppleCare is the best computer warranty I've ever seen, the only company that I know that beats it is Logitech.

Apple has to be making a killing on Applecare. I've read that Best Buy thrives and survives on their extended warranties. Applecare is pretty expensive, about $350 for two years of coverage on a MBP for example. My guess is that they're making more than enough to give away a few machines under the Applecare umbrella.

That said, I had a problematic MBP that did NOT have Applecare. Apple still replaced it for what some would consider minor issues. Needless to say, I was impressed with the service.
  • Reply 25 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Never had a problem in 3 years with my 20" white iMac with its gorgeous matte screen.

Same here! Bought in May 2005. Only had a problem once with it when EyeTV for DTT caused a Kernal Panic. I did buy last year the 24" iMac 2.8Ghz and promptly sent it back. Loved the speed. Hated the display.
  • Reply 26 of 49
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    My iMac G5 is three years old, same display used in the original (white) Intel Macs. No problems whatsoever. According to the text above, which may be out of context, but it indicates Apple honored warranty repairs and even honored out of warrany repairs, so what is the problem? The text also said the claims were denied for other reasons, even though they claim it was from the failing LCD.

I was recently at the Apple store and saw some of these Macs that people claim were having problems with. Almost all of them were dirty and beaten to shit. One girl said her PowerBook no longer recognized the AC. It was pretty dirty and scratched. Then she opened it! 10x worse! There were so many stains on it that it looked like she spilled on it everyday. No wonder it is not working.

That is why there are warranties, so people don't screw a company out of repairs for an old product. I like the "thousands" of people claim with no evidence, and they cannot even indicate which iMac model! Dipshit lawyers.
  • Reply 27 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Apple has to be making a killing on Applecare. I've read that Best Buy thrives and survives on their extended warranties. Applecare is pretty expensive, about $350 for two years of coverage on a MBP for example. My guess is that they're making more than enough to give away a few machines under the Applecare umbrella.

That said, I had a problematic MBP that did NOT have Applecare. Apple still replaced it for what some would consider minor issues. Needless to say, I was impressed with the service.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rosstheboss View Post

i have a 17" iMac 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo iMac...

No Apple Care.

After about 20 months the dreaded lines appeared. (i pretty much knew what this meant as a friend as a 17" G4 PowerBook with the same thing http://eicolab.com.au/2008/07/24/bri...ley-powerbook/ ).

My iMac didn't fall within the serial numbers that Apple oh so graciously decided had the defect.

Knowing how Apple treat "known issues" (i.e. censor, edit or erase their discussion forums if those pesky customers are getting on their nerves!)

i called them up and eventually i was able to speak to someone who could make a decision, and after much pleading (a shameful amount) they made an exception and they logged my serial number so it came up as non-chargeable repair when i took it in.

All fixed.

i'm the last person to praise Apple (i just use them because of the software i use and the interface...all the wanky hipness doesn't appeal to me whatsoever...) but at least someone on the phone was able to help me out, there an then.

But all in all, they should be far more accommodating and supportive. Not everyone can afford Applecare after spending £750+ on a computer. And if you're buying a premium product you certainly don't expect hundreds of users to have the same issue with what is fundamentally a design or manufacturing flaw...!

They should acknowledge issues far earlier, and not slyly brush them under the carpet, washing over them with their glitzy propaganda and knowing ignorance.

Agreed. If I'm paying $300 premium or so for a computer, I expect that its quality and lifespan should exceed that of the lesser priced competitors. In the rare case that it does not, the company should take care of it. Say what you will about Microsoft, but at least when there were problems with the 360 they extended the warranty for 3 years. This is obviously a manufacturing defect that Apple should cover for the life of the system. I hope Apple does the right thing or that this case wins.
  • Reply 28 of 49
    with iBook G4, but it was only 1 line almost at the left edge so it did not bother me much - then I got white Intel iMac and gave that laptop to my parents - they do not mind that one line either. What is bugging me now is that something happened to the attachment of the iMac body to the stand and the screen does not hold the position - always falls down and I have to have a plastic cube behind the screen to hold it straight. Does anybody know how to fix this issue? I could not find any help on any forum - the wall mounting bracket is for 24' iMacs only. :-(
  • Reply 29 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

If I'm paying $300 premium or so for a computer, I expect that its quality and lifespan should exceed that of the lesser priced competitors.

The premium is for a much better UE and OS. Just buy the warranty, or don't take no for an answer when you are told that it isn't covered since there is no warranty. You pay a premium for buying Apple. If you like Apple, its worth it, if it isn't, then it is not. Don't make the purchase and then complain about the business practices you've seen in the past. Make another purchase to avoid the trouble (applecare), or don't, and be vocal or buy a new machine.

Apple isn't your babysitter, it is a company that needs to make a profit.
  • Reply 30 of 49
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by downdinoiling View Post

Same here! Bought in May 2005. Only had a problem once with it when EyeTV for DTT caused a Kernal Panic. I did buy last year the 24" iMac 2.8Ghz and promptly sent it back. Loved the speed. Hated the display.

Here! here!

Everyone chant now:

Bring back matte! Bring back matte!
  • Reply 31 of 49
    it is not a $300 premium... its more than that... and you shouldn't be paying that simply for the OS!
  • Reply 32 of 49
    Truly, the premium isn't too much if you really look at the feature diff. And you're paying for an amazing UE. That's a large part of what apple is, UE (user experience).
  • Reply 33 of 49
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple is facing a new class-action lawsuit claiming the company’s iMac displays start to show unwanted vertical lines, which Apple is refusing to fix under warranty.

UNDER warranty. that has to be a typo. You buy any Apple hardware product (computer, ipod, iphone, appletv etc) and they will tell you that if it is defective they will repair it or if they can't for any reason, replace it. only rule is that it has to be a manufacturing defect. if it is cause you dropped it down the stairs, spilled coffee on it, unlocked it to use on t-mobile, all bets are off.

same rules for AppleCare, just instead of 1 year it's either 2 or 3 depending on the item

Quote:

Florida resident Aram Hovsepian filed the 13-page complaint in a Northern California court last week on behalf of himself and "thousands" of other customers who purchased iMacs with the "latent defect."

so basically he has to prove that Apple shorted the construction and knew this might happen and was just like 'oh well, sucks for them'

Quote:

The complaint further alleges that the one-year display warranties are “invalid and not enforceable."

but wait, if they are not enforceable, doesn't that work both ways. Apple can argue that they don't have to have even one day of coverage. NOT. you can bet that there are laws that say they have to do a minimum and that they confirmed that one year is enough for all states. they aren't stupid.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Based on how effectively they defused me one time, I am sure they have training in this and will do what it takes to make you happy and not cause a scene in the store. (If you do actually cause a scene, all bets are off; nothing gets done that way!)

yep. I was in a store over the holidays and a guy actually threatened the manager and about 30 seconds later mall security was there to walk him out and he was 'politely' informed never to come back or he'd be charged with trespassing (I guess they had his name and phone number or address or something to make that possible)

Quote:

Knowing how Apple treat "known issues" (i.e. censor, edit or erase their discussion forums if those pesky customers are getting on their nerves!)

tell me about it. I was reading a thread about this issue and mentioned that a lawsuit had been filed and I was deleted and warned that postings were to be about technical questions and answers only and if I posted something that wasn't that again, I would be cut off from posting for life.

I wish there had been a reply address so I could point out the dozens of messages that were nothing but folks talking about boycotts, picket lines, calling applecare not stop to complain about the issue etc. those were 'technical' answers either. but they weren't deleted.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Apple has to be making a killing on Applecare.

Not as much as you think. Yes there will be folks that buy it and never use it. Then again, there will be someone that buys it, has something go wrong and it's way more than the cost of the AppleCare fee.

true story as an example. about 4 or so years ago I bought a used laptop from a neighbor. It was just over a year old and he wanted a new one cause he got a job doing some editing work and this one wasn't quite going to cut it. I think it was the first macbook (or maybe an ibook). I had it about 3 months and suddenly the thing goes dead. I'm freaking of course. I take it in to a shop around the corner cause there wasn't an Apple Store in my area but this guy was a certified Apple tech. He tells me, after some testing, that my power port was blown. Not common but it does happen. And so the computer isn't getting power and the battery went dead.

Now here is the catch. Labor, he tells me is $100 minimum and the part is $600. Not even if I figure they double the real cost of the labor and mark up the parts a good 25%, that's still like $500 to fix my laptop. Ouch. But then the guy says he's going to make a call. Turns out that my neighbor bought AppleCare on the computer and being that it was only about 15 months old it was covered. So I got the whole thing for free. And they even swapped me for a new battery and a new power adapter in case the port damaged messed up either one. So for like $250, I got like $750 in labor and replacement parts for free. Worth it in my book

Moral of my story. Apple was out $500 for my repair. Which would be 'balanced' by you and the guy next to you that bought the same computer with AppleCare and never needed it. probably happens more than not.

and if you aren't a total dick about it, the folks in the stores will often just swap you things like batteries, power adapters, headphones, dock connector cables etc. especially if the purchase was pretty recent so you can go home without waiting for a genius. depends a bit on the store but it does happen. they have offered it to me and I've seen it happen to others.
  • Reply 34 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

Come on, everyone, Steve's sick - don't add stress to his life by complaining about little screen defects. Just buy a new Mac.

Seriously, though, I assume the new iMacs will be LEDs, which won't have the screen issues that have plagued the last generation (or two) of iMacs. I have a first generation iMac G5 that's never had a screen problem (over 4 years old). I don't know why Apple's newer designs have all the screen issues - because they made too many compromises to make them thinner?

I think this would be an LCD problem, not a backlighting problem.
  • Reply 35 of 49
    Quote:

i have a 17" iMac 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo iMac...

No Apple Care.

After about 20 months the dreaded lines appeared. (i pretty much knew what this meant as a friend as a 17" G4 PowerBook with the same thing http://eicolab.com.au/2008/07/24/bri...ley-powerbook/ ).

My iMac didn't fall within the serial numbers that Apple oh so graciously decided had the defect.

i called them up and eventually i was able to speak to someone who could make a decision, and after much pleading (a shameful amount) they made an exception and they logged my serial number so it came up as non-chargeable repair when i took it in.

All fixed.

i'm the last person to praise Apple (i just use them because of the software i use and the interface...all the wanky hipness doesn't appeal to me whatsoever...) but at least someone on the phone was able to help me out, there an then.

But all in all, they should be far more accommodating and supportive. Not everyone can afford Applecare after spending £750+ on a computer. And if you're buying a premium product you certainly don't expect hundreds of users to have the same issue with what is fundamentally a design or manufacturing flaw...!

They should acknowledge issues far earlier, and not slyly brush them under the carpet, washing over them with their glitzy propaganda and knowing ignorance.

Ross, when you buy a Mac you are paying for a premium product. When you buy a premium product, you get the extended warranty. End of story.
  • Reply 36 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

it is not a $300 premium... its more than that... and you shouldn't be paying that simply for the OS!

Quote:

Truly, the premium isn't too much if you really look at the feature diff. And you're paying for an amazing UE. That's a large part of what apple is, UE (user experience).

You're right Italiankid, I was being conservative on the estimate as to not anger anyone here. Federmoose...the feature differences aren't that great...in fact, in some areas, such as RAM, they are inferior. Yes, the OS is much better (which I don't think we need to differentiate from the UE since the OS controls the UE) but not THAT much better that we shouldn't expect the hardware to be reliable. What is wrong as a consumer to demand that a premium product deliver premium reliability and that the company stand behind its product? Apple has a lot more money than all of us on this forum combined so let's not let them off the hook on a manufacturing defect...especially considering how short the warranty that comes with it is. This is no different than buying a luxury car and something going wrong just out of warranty. Yes, Lexus could nickle and dime you but not if they want to differentiate themselves from Toyota. And at least with with a luxury car you don't have to pay extra for the 3 year warranty in the first place. And I don't mean to single out Apple here. Really, it's the consumer electronics business in general. They tell us how great their product is and then give us a typical 6 month warranty and expect us all to purchase extended care. We all need to demand more because these giant companies aren't going to give it to us unless we ask for it.
  • Reply 37 of 49
    I have a friend who had this problem with his HP laptop after a few months. He went out and bought another and within a few months it happened again. So whoever makes the screens is probably responsible. Perhaps Apple and HP used the same manufacturer.
  • Reply 38 of 49
    Like one of the other posters above, I work for an AASP and have done so for over ten years now.

I for one think that Apple has been very good at acknowledging manufacturing flaws and offering extended repair programs to correct these issues.

There are just certain types of people who throw their toys out of the baby stroller because their out-of-warranty product develops a fault. It's always Apple's fault in their minds. It's always a design flaw.

Actually it's just a lottery. Some people just draw a short straw. Just like cars, some of them develop faults when they get to a certain age. Others may last for 20 years plus. This is the inherent nature of today's complex technology. People need to get real. They don't make these things to last forever. It's guaranteed to work for one year and then anything you get after that is a bonus. It's a sad but true fact. This is the way many industries work. Computers are a consumable product, just like a car. It's going to get worn out. Some faster than others through variables out-with the manufacturers' control. You are supposed to buy a new one on an average of every three years. It's not Apple's fault if you can't afford to do that. Apple isn't a charity. It's a business.
  • Reply 39 of 49
    Quote:

AppleCare is incredible. They replace everything, for free, no questions asked. I have had 2 entire computers replaced by apple for very minor issues (and sometimes software, not hardware issues). AppleCare is the best computer warranty I've ever seen, the only company that I know that beats it is Logitech.

Not quite.

My brand new iMac 24" bought in June had networking problems from the 1st day but it took me a while to determine it was not random and definitely only on this model. I even have 2 older iMacs to compare it to.

I got perpetual phone support but Apple refused to do an on-site that would have clearly shown what the fault was. All I got told was reinstall, reinstall, reinstall which I just knew was cr@p. The problem finally surfaced as a known issue in this forum and on Apple's own forums. I still could not get an onsite.

Finally my power supply blew 6 months into the warranty, now with 2 faults Apple agreed to do an onsite. Soon as I contacted the service technician he knew exactly what I was talking about, he does several a week. He fixed the network card but the power supply failed again.

At this point I told Apple I had paid for AppleCare and expected to get it and I didn't want to see this machine again. They finally agreed to a replacement.

Since I had to transfer my set-up by devious means from a carbon copy of the old drive, I have been struggling to get my new machine back into the same working order I had the old one. OSX sucks at system transfers.

Now the network is dropping off again. Only it isn't doing it when I am watching, so I can't be sure it is the old problem back.
  • Reply 40 of 49
    i'm thankful that my 8 year old 17" G4 Lampstyle imac that I'm typing this on is still working great...no lines or anything. Runs Leopard great.

I like the matte finish and the ability to move the screen up, down and sideways......may it last forever....!

Frank D.