No new Mac Mini or iMac

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Well, only hardware announcement was the 17" MBP. Looks like it will be a while before we see the rumored Mini update.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 240
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Well, only hardware announcement was the 17" MBP. Looks like it will be a while before we see the rumored Mini update.

Shame. Was ready to buy today.
  • Reply 2 of 240
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Well...All I can say is let the bitching begin about the MacMini...

Rumor sites get everyone's hopes up for nothing!
  • Reply 3 of 240
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    The new Mac mini was the ONLY thing I wanted to see today. Is it possible they'd do a "stealth" update? Or would they bundle it with an iMac special event. Barring radical redesigns, I wouldn't think a new iMac would justify a speial event. Although, Apple has had a few lame special events, so who knows.
  • Reply 4 of 240
    I'm disappointed and I don't even need anything right now...
  • Reply 5 of 240
    I think it's possible no new Mac desktop models until April, when an all-new line of iMacs, Mac Pros and possibly the Mac Mini are unveiled with the Intel i7 CPU variants.
  • Reply 6 of 240
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brentsg View Post

I'm disappointed and I don't even need anything right now...

What did you expect? This happens every god damn year...people read too much into stuff and then get mad when Apple doesn't release something spectacular.
  • Reply 7 of 240
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    WTF! I was planning to buy a new mini today and going to suggest buying more at work.

The only thing announced that was at all interesting was the changes to iPhoto.
  • Reply 8 of 240
    So very glad I didn't wait for Mac World and picked up my iMac in the refurb store months ago.
  • Reply 9 of 240
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Shame. Was ready to buy today.

You and me both, man - I've got a thousand bucks ready to soup up a mini and add it to my home theater system. I've had the money saved up for a year now ... it's tremendously dissappointing to see another event go by with almost no focus on the Mac. A $2,800 notebook? I know it has its place in Apple's lineup, but for the love of God, the Mini has been Apple's red-headed stepchild. They could have announced the 17" back when the 15" MBP and the MB were updated instead of wasting 20 minutes detailing a new battery - which I'm sure will cause a lot of people to bitch and moan since it's not replaceable by the user.

Come on Apple, I am dying to give you a lot of money - how about we shift a little more of your focus back to building computers! PLEASE ... it's killing my soul to see a $600 Mini with no superdrive, subpar graphics and a processor that's a year old.

My money stays in my bank account for another year I guess...

I must say, I do like the iLife updates coming down the pipe. It was a shame though that it took up half the keynote...
  • Reply 10 of 240
    xflarexflare Posts: 199member
    LOL the same mini with the combodrive and GMA 950 is still there !!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 11 of 240
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

What did you expect? This happens every god damn year...people read too much into stuff and then get mad when Apple doesn't release something spectacular.

Honestly I've never bothered to follow it before. I just waited till I got home and read whatever happened. But today I had some spare time to waste, and waste I did.
  • Reply 12 of 240
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Since the Mini was last "updated"? Isn't is close to 2 years now? I am surprised Intel even makes those hopelessly out of date CPU's anymore. I am also surprised they can find combo drives anymore since every computer now includes DVD writers.

The Mini has so much potential. WTF is taking Apple so damn long? People are right to be disappointed. Apple seems no faster at updating their computers now than they were with Power PC, maybe even slower. Other companies have already been selling the Core i7 in models for a while now.
  • Reply 13 of 240
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    If you go to the Mac mini page on the Apple site, "Mac mini now shipping with Leopard"!

When did Leopard come out? 14+ months ago??? Way to stay current Apple.
  • Reply 14 of 240
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Since the Mini was last "updated"? Isn't is close to 2 years now? I am surprised Intel even makes those hopelessly out of date CPU's anymore. I am also surprised they can find combo drives anymore since every computer now includes DVD writers.

The Mini has so much potential. WTF is taking Apple so damn long? People are right to be disappointed. Apple seems no faster at updating their computers now than they were with Power PC, maybe even slower. Other companies have already been selling the Core i7 in models for a while now.

Didn't we say the whiners would come out of the wood work after the keynote? The only time of year they come out.
  • Reply 15 of 240
    This is why Apple is leaving Macworld, they are not ready to announce new products that have been rumored to be introduced at the keynote. So when the keynote is given and no new Mac Mini or iMac everyone waiting for them is angry. If Phil announced the today shipping in February people would still be mad.

So in a month or so apple will have a special event where they will announce updated Mac Mini, iMac and maybe the Mac Pro. Then later in the spring they will have a iPhone special event. I sure in the future many of Apple applications will be introduced at WWDC.

With that said my wait for a new iMac better be worth it.
  • Reply 16 of 240
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BostonMJH0712 View Post

This is why Apple is leaving Macworld, they are not ready to announce new products that have been rumored to be introduced at the keynote. So when the keynote is given and no new Mac Mini or iMac everyone waiting for them is angry. If Phil announced the today shipping in February people would still be mad.

Mad? Heck no. They might see a slight slump in mini sales until Feb but the pent up demand would make for good launch numbers.
  • Reply 17 of 240
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Quote:

This is why Apple is leaving Macworld, they are not ready to announce new products that have been rumored to be introduced at the keynote.

How much time do they need? My God the Mini was last refreshed in August 2007! And that was a pretty minor upgrade. If they are planning on a special event within the next month then all will be forgiven, but if people have to wait until around April then that is ridiculous.
  • Reply 18 of 240
    Quote:

So in a month or so apple will have a special event where they will announce updated Mac Mini, iMac and maybe the Mac Pro. Then later in the spring they will have a iPhone special event. I sure in the future many of Apple applications will be introduced at WWDC.

I totally agree. I know its not really possible to do this, but it would have been great if IDG would allow Apple to move the Expo around. Its simply not possible to do so because these Expo's need to be planned far in advanced and its not fair to IDG, nor Apple for that matter to have to do that.

Apple will release a new MacMini when they're ready to release it (if they're every going to release one). People need to stop getting their panties in a bunch over this.
  • Reply 19 of 240
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    what's wrong with everyone?? we must get out of the "old days" and move to the new. macworld for product announcements is sooooo last ten years.

products will now come as they and SJ are ready, now we get periodic new products that are on apple's schedule.. we didn't even hear about snow leopard.

this shows that each product needs its own focus

we are showing our age...trade shows can fog up the message, look at CES, too big, too much and products are lost in the other guys soup....trade shows really don't help as much as they did years ago. apple is ahead of the curve, more and more companies will get away with the "fight for limelight" status.

let's move forward.
  • Reply 20 of 240
    nli10nli10 Posts: 32member
    Quote:

My iMac's video card went in Sep/Oct and would cost £550 to fix via apple. I'd have hapily pre-ordered a new system for March to replace the 350MHz iMac I'm using at the moment. I'd have setteled for a press release saying that new machines would be coming in a particular 2-month time scale (but that would harm sales I guess).

Every month that passes encourages me to get a new machine, but to get value for money I'd have to either go windows or get an apple laptop that I don't need. If they'd have known that there were no speed boosts at Mac World then why not just add value to the machines before Xmas with simple tweaks to stop the marketshare loss?