Apple unveils 17-inch MacBook Pro with 8-hour battery

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Presenting at the Macworld Expo on Tuesday, Apple unveiled the new 17-inch MacBook Pro featuring a durable and precision aluminum unibody enclosure, and a revolutionary new built-in battery that delivers up to eight hours of use and up to 1,000 recharges for more than three times the lifespan of conventional notebook batteries.

"We've developed new battery technology that is better for the user and better for the environment," said Apple chief executive Steve Jobs. "Apple's advanced chemistry and innovative technology deliver up to eight hours of use on a full charge cycle and up to 1,000 recharges."

Apple said it uses advanced chemistry, intelligent monitoring of the system and battery, and Adaptive Charging technology to create a revolutionary new notebook battery that delivers up to eight hours of wireless productivity on a single charge and up to 1,000 recharges without adding thickness, weight or cost to the MacBook Pro's design. The longer battery lifespan equals fewer depleted batteries and less waste, which is better for the environment, the company said.

The new 17-inch MacBook Pro includes an ultra-thin, widescreen glossy 1920 x 1200 display with 78 percent more pixels than the 15-inch MacBook Pro and a 60 percent greater color gamut that delivers desktop-quality color in a notebook. The LED-backlit display has instant-on performance, uses up to 30 percent less energy and eliminates the mercury found in industry standard fluorescent tube backlights.

Measuring just 0.98-inches thin and weighing 6.6 pounds, Apple says the 17-inch MacBook Pro is the world's thinnest and lightest 17-inch notebook. It's also the most powerful Mac notebook yet with the latest Intel Core 2 Duo processors available up to 2.93 GHz, up to 8GB DDR3 main memory and a graphics architecture that allows users to switch between the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M integrated graphics processor for better battery life and the powerful NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT discrete graphics processor for higher performance.

The new 17-inch MacBook Pro also includes a 320GB 5400 rpm hard drive standard with a 320GB 7200 rpm hard drive and 128GB and 256GB solid state drives as options. As with the rest of the new MacBook family, the 17-inch MacBook Pro includes a next generation, industry-standard Mini DisplayPort to connect with the new Apple LED Cinema Display featuring a 24-inch LED-backlit widescreen display with a built-in iSight video camera, mic and speakers.

Apple also noted that the new 17-inch MacBook Pro joins the aluminum unibody MacBook family in setting new standards for environmentally friendly notebooks with every model achieving EPEAT Gold status.

Each MacBook unibody enclosure is made of highly recyclable aluminum and comes standard with energy efficient LED- backlit displays that are mercury-free and made with arsenic-free glass. The new MacBook family meets stringent Energy Star 4.0 requirements, contains no brominated flame retardants and uses internal cables and components that are PVC-free. The battery in the new 17-inch MacBook Pro provides additional environmental benefit because its extended lifespan means fewer depleted batteries resulting in less waste. Depleted batteries can be replaced for $179 which includes installation and disposal of your old battery in an environmentally responsible manner.

Pricing & Availability

The new 17-inch MacBook Pro will be shipping at the end of January and will be available through the Apple Store, Apple's retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers for a suggested retail price of $2,799 (US), and includes:

17-inch widescreen LED-backlit 1920 x 1200, glossy display;

2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 6MB shared L2 cache;

1066 MHz front-side bus;

4GB 1066 MHz DDR3 SDRAM;

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M integrated graphics;

NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT discrete graphics with 512MB GDDR3 videoÂ*memory;

320GB Serial ATA hard drive running at 5400 rpm, with Sudden Motion Sensor;

a slot-load 8X SuperDrive with double-layer support (DVD+/-R DL/DVD+/-RW/CD-RW) optical drive;

Mini DisplayPort for video output (adapters sold separately);

built-in AirPort Extreme 802.11n wireless networking and Bluetooth 2.1+EDR;

Gigabit Ethernet port;

built-in iSight video camera;

three USB 2.0 ports;

one FireWire 800 port (FireWire 400 compatible);

ExpressCard/34 expansion card slot;

one audio line in and one audio line out port, each supporting both optical digital and analog;

glass Multi-Touch trackpad and illuminated keyboard;

built-in, 95WHr lithium polymer battery; and

85 Watt MagSafe Power Adapter.

Build-to-order options for the 17-inch MacBook Pro include a 2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 8GB 1066 MHz DDR 3 memory, 320GB 7200 rpm hard drive, a 128GB or 256GB solid state drive, anti-glare display for $50 (US), Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter, Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter (for 30-inch DVI display), Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter, Apple Remote, Apple MagSafe Airline Adapter and the AppleCare Protection Plan.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 236
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    I just realized that I can't remember the last keynote that did anything for me.

Oh, wait. The iPhone.
  • Reply 2 of 236
    dougcdougc Posts: 29member
    Anyone notice that the Anti-Glare 17'' MBP doesn't have the black border?

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/features-17inch.html

Click the enlarged image under graphics in full force

Awesome!
  • Reply 3 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I just realized that I can't remember the last keynote that did anything for me.

Oh, wait. The iPhone.

Horrible show...

Just a MacBook Pro?

What happened to all these new hardware coming out???

I hope these new softwares can run on our aging fleet of Mac's!

Mac mini - VERY OLD

iMac - OLD

Mac Pro - VERY OLD

They didn't even bring the prices down on these old products... Apple will give sales to PCs if they don't bring out new hardware ASAP! And if they do... THE WORLD WAS WATCHING TODAY AT MACWORLD EXPO! They should have done it with a BANG! I guess Steve (God Bless him) but his health has put a damper on Apple... That means without him Apple is in deep trouble... It's no wonder Phil did the show... All about software and one hardware - YAH!
  • Reply 4 of 236
    I'm so disappointed. Damn
  • Reply 5 of 236
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    What a crap keynote, no new iMacs, WTF is up with that, no new mini's no new Apple TV.

This MBP was the highlight to say the least, amazing design, I want one.
  • Reply 6 of 236
    So much for all the rumors convinced of a mini update.

What a crapfest of a keynote, has any other one introduced so little?
  • Reply 7 of 236
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    WTF?? A frk'n Battery was the best thing in the keynote?

Did Apple invent the battery now too?
  • Reply 8 of 236
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

What a crap keynote, no new iMacs, WTF is up with that, no new mini's no new Apple TV.

Now you know why Jobs didn't give it... nothing to show.

Decoupling from MW is a great idea.
  • Reply 9 of 236
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Anti-glare! FINALLY a MacBook Pro worthy of the name.

8GB RAM - beautiful!

What's the skinny on the colour gamut of the panel?

It says 'desktop-quality', but in the Tech Specs it says 'millions' rather than 16.7 million which is the giveaway that it's still relying on visual trickery.

Is 'desktop-quality' just another Appleism like 'server-grade' hard disks?
  • Reply 10 of 236
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I agree it was the worst MacWorld ever. But that may have been the point.

Apple definitely needs a refresh of these other machines and that will likely be a different launch.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

Horrible show...

Just a MacBook Pro?

Mac mini - VERY OLD

iMac - OLD

Mac Pro - VERY OLD

They didn't even bring the prices down on these old products... Apple will give sales to PCs if they don't bring out new hardware ASAP! And if they do... THE WORLD WAS WATCHING TODAY AT MACWORLD EXPO! They should have done it with a BANG! I guess Steve (God Bless him) but his health has put a damper on Apple... That means without him Apple is in deep trouble... It's no wonder Phil did the show... All about software and one hardware - YAH!

• Reply 11 of 236
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

So much for all the rumors convinced of a mini update.

What a crapfest of a keynote, has any other one introduced so little?

No; and now we know why Jobs skipped the keynote...
  • Reply 12 of 236
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

Horrible show...

Just a MacBook Pro?

Mac mini - VERY OLD

iMac - OLD

Mac Pro - VERY OLD

They hardly ever do more than 2 hardware updates in one show, and nevertheless, people somehow expect 4 or 5 updates.

Wacky expectations are part of the reason apple isn't doing MacWorld anymore.

Just as they do every year, the products in need of an update that didn't see them today will most likely happen between the last half of January and the first half of March.

I don't really understand why people are so disappointed. I think the iWork and iLife updates look very nice indeed. I've never owned iWork and I may finally be convinced to plunk down the cash for it.
  • Reply 13 of 236
    Oh, you hapless whiners! I got exactly what I was expecting... nada!
  • Reply 14 of 236
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    While I agree little was introduced, I find myself wanting to buy all of it. So I'm not sure this was unsuccessful for Apple.

And I was in the "no removable battery? wtf?" camp until I really thought about it and decided I'd MUCH rather have 60% more capacity and that I'd never actually hot-swapped the battery in any of my PowerBooks ever. So that 17" MBP is drool-worthy to me.

My guess about the iMac and Pro (and mini) are that the chipsets aren't quite ready yet and we'll have a March event for them. Intel and nVidia have some nifty stuff in the pipeline according to the usual sites, and with Apple's infrequent refreshes they should probably wait a couple months and get it right. Still, I agree the prices need to change to reflect the comparable value of the systems without an upgrade (in general Apple should adjust prices over time more often to stay competitive).
  • Reply 15 of 236
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    While I agree little was introduced, I find myself wanting to buy all of it. So I'm not sure this was unsuccessful for Apple.

And I was in the "no removable battery? wtf?" camp until I really thought about it and decided I'd MUCH rather have 60% more capacity and that I'd never actually hot-swapped the battery in any of my PowerBooks ever. So that 17" MBP is drool-worthy to me.

My guess about the iMac and Pro (and mini) are that the chipsets aren't quite ready yet and we'll have a March event for them. Intel and nVidia have some nifty stuff in the pipeline according to the usual sites, and with Apple's infrequent refreshes they should probably wait a couple months and get it right. Still, I agree the prices need to change to reflect the comparable value of the systems without an upgrade (in general Apple should adjust prices over time more often to stay competitive).
  • Reply 16 of 236
    Nice find! Love it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dougc View Post

Anyone notice that the Anti-Glare 17'' MBP doesn't have the black border?

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/features-17inch.html

Click the enlarged image under graphics in full force

Awesome!

• Reply 17 of 236
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    DROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
  • Reply 18 of 236
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Thank god the 17 inch MacBook Pro have anti-glare display. This will save us the whining (at least today).

I still can't believe that Apple is not offering a 500GB HDD for MacBook Pro line. When I bought my MBP I decided to go for 250GB since the 70GB increase doesn't make much difference and it is cheaper to buy 500GB HDD and install it myself.

The battery life on that 17" is insane!!!!
  • Reply 19 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

They hardly ever do more than 2 hardware updates in one show, and nevertheless, people somehow expect 4 or 5 updates.

That's an odd thing to say after they just did one hardware update, and not even a full product line.

I expected two hardware updates and got barely one. That's not overly high expectations, that's just lame.
  • Reply 20 of 236
    Is the hard drive user upgradeable?