Apple unveils 17-inch MacBook Pro with 8-hour battery

Comments

• Reply 61 of 236
    mdcatmdcat Posts: 79member
    I'm not taking the "8-hour battery" on faith. Apple has made extravagant performance claims before which were not borne out in real-world testing. Still, if they claim 8, it might be, say, 6, which would certainly be a major step forward.

But, other than transoceanic passengers, how important is this?
  • Reply 62 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

Horrible show...

Just a MacBook Pro?

What happened to all these new hardware coming out???

I hope these new softwares can run on our aging fleet of Mac's!

Mac mini - VERY OLD

iMac - OLD

Mac Pro - VERY OLD

They didn't even bring the prices down on these old products...

I'm guessing that the iMac/MacMini will be updated when Mac OS 10.6 comes out, or else shortly after the Calpella platform. But I won't hold my breath for it.

It seems logical to update the AppleTV concurrently with new LED-backlit displays to add a DisplayPort to it, and sometime after February 17, 2009 in hopes of incorporating a digital tuner.
  • Reply 63 of 236
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

...While I agree little was introduced, I find myself wanting to buy all of it. So I'm not sure this was unsuccessful for Apple....

Somehow there is always one little thing in iLife that makes me want to get it....but I don't use it much.

I find the 17" MBP a weird choice to roll out at this event. How much of a consumer device is that anyway?? I have to say, it's the one Mac I find myself least likely to ever buy. I'm sure plenty of people want it, I'm just curious as to who they are. Who are you 17" MBP buyers????
  • Reply 64 of 236
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    When has the Apple notebooks ever been a good gaming platform?

DDR2 and DDR3 have other differences than only speed, their is power consumption and latency.

You skipped over the fact that the non-removable battery last 8 hours.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by archer75 View Post

Wow a $2800 notebook with a 9600m for poor gaming at 1920x1200 resolutions. And DDR3 ram at DDR2 speeds! Along with a non removable battery.

Color me impressed.

No imacs, no minis, no snow leopard demo. Lame.

• Reply 65 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scottiB View Post

MW-NY 2001 -- no hardware introduced or updated (with the G3 still in the iMac and the PowerMacs at 400, 450, and 500 mhz for nearly 2 years), and the audience received a lecture on the MHZ Myth.

Looking up archives, it looks like that one updated the imacs and the mac towers. Looks like it was 866 and dual 800 g4s.
  • Reply 66 of 236
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I agree it was the worst MacWorld ever. ...

Not to pick on you personally, but the hyperbole on this thread is super-duper waay out of control.

"Worst keynote ever?" Come on.

It was pretty much exactly the same as any of Steve's presentations. Heck the wording was almost the same. It's just a script and anyone can read it. The introduction of two new software suites is hardly nothing.

The new iWork seems to add most everything that was "missing" making it a serious competitor to Office now. For instance Pages has mail merge which is the only feature in Word that was stopping our University from adopting it and sending Microsoft Office out to pasture.

The online component is also a massive deal.

If it wasn't for Engadget making all those stupid remarks on their coverage and failing to actually, you know, cover the details of the presentation people wouldn't be bitching so much I guess.
  • Reply 67 of 236
    I would imagine the 17" MBP outsells the Mac Pro.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

I find the 17" MBP a weird choice to roll out at this event. How much of a consumer device is that anyway?? I have to say, it's the one Mac I find myself least likely to ever buy. I'm sure plenty of people want it, I'm just curious as to who they are. Who are you 17" MBP buyers????

• Reply 68 of 236
    Good

- New battery technology

- LED 1920x1200 Display is nice

- 4GB memory limit removed is nice, but should have been available two years ago. Hopefully they fixed the memory limitations in the other laptop models. Its completely unacceptable if they limit the other models.

- built-in battery is a bad idea, although the new battery tech is welcome. I doubt that most people will see anywhere near 8 hours on a charge unless you have the screen brightness down, and are not doing anything that is taxing the processor or GPU.

BAD

- Glossy display only I'm sure (woops scratch that...)

- Even if the battery has a greater lifetime, $200 for a new battery???? JESUS!

- 5400RPM harddrive standard?? In a freaking $2500+ pro laptop?

- No quad-core? And yes, low power mobile quad-core chips are available.. (besides the fact that they could easily customize one with Intel or downclock it if it gave off too much heat.)

256GB SSD sounds nice, but It all depends on how it performs. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple used a slow ass SSD.
  • Reply 69 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

We had major software demos at this one too.

There's no way you can say that updates to iLife and iWork are remotely comparable to the last major demo of OSX before release (and I believe the first time the aqua look was showed off).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbella View Post

Apple has never updated their hardware as fast the the Dell's of the world. But all they have to do is slap the new chip or motherboard into one of their old cases and they are done.

All APPLE has to do in many cases is slap in faster chips, in fact that's exactly what many of their speed bump updates are. While there are new chips coming out soon, there are still plenty of things that could have been upgraded in all their models over the past year.

Part of the reason there is such a sour reaction is because apple has been waiting so long to update. Apple whines about being tied to the keynotes, yet they still go months between updates anyway.
  • Reply 70 of 236
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I agree it was the worst MacWorld ever. But that may have been the point.

Apple definitely needs a refresh of these other machines and that will likely be a different launch.

Perhaps they will host their own special event next month to showcase the desktop Macs. Perhaps they are waiting on Intel to ramp up production of certain chips or wouldn't have had the new Mac desltops ready until February (or later) so they didn't bother including them in this keynote.
  • Reply 71 of 236
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Are there real performance gains or increase in sales directly because of quad core? Or does it only allow you to brag that your computer goes up to 11.

There are performance gains and you know it. Do you feel the Mac Pro is a fraud?

VMWare and handbrake are two apps I use that would benefit from more cores and more cpu grunt.
  • Reply 72 of 236
    Quote:

Are there real performance gains or increase in sales directly because of quad core?

Yes, there are real performance gains. What kind of question is that, you really think they throw in extra cores just to make the box harder to cool?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

It was pretty much exactly the same as any of Steve's presentations.

OK, so it's just the worst since Jobs returned to Apple. Happy?
  • Reply 73 of 236
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Apple has learned from the past to not clutter up a single event with too many products.

If the new iMacs and Mac minis/pros are just speed bumps, they may roll out with a simple press release two weeks from now (or later). If they've changed significantly, they'll be another Apple event in early February.

Here are some additional possible interpretations over the lack of new hardware intros:

1. (Positive view) Desktop sales weren't very bad (relative to PCs).

2. (Negative view) There's too much inventory still left to bring out new models.

3. (Negative view) They're having serious problems with the new models.
  • Reply 74 of 236
    Strictly my opinion from what I've seen this has been the dullest to date. I was completely bored through the iLife presentation. iLife is fun to use, but not sexy enough for an hour long demonstration.

I think Apple should have made MW '08 its last. I don't like that they left it like this.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Not to pick on you personally, but the hyperbole on this thread is super-duper waay out of control.

• Reply 75 of 236
    johnqhjohnqh Posts: 242member
    Something people don't realize it.

The Keynote iPhone app is huge. PowerPoint is showing its age. Keynote is a better presentation software already, with the iPhone app, it will be serious driver to get the mobile professionals to switch to Mac side.

The significance of this MacWorld is the attack on MS Office.

Mac Pro will be updated at WWDC. That's their event for professional level machines.

Mini and iMac are for home users and education market. There is no point to update them right now. Most likely, they will be updated around March, to give the school lab some time to evaluate them for the new school year.

So, Apple is pacing itself - iMac refresh in spring, Mac Pro in summer, laptops in fall. That's a pretty good schedule for the Mac side.

On the mobile side, I am guessing the iPhone refresh will be in summer (WWDC) and iPod refresh will be fall (November, for the Xmas shopping season).
  • Reply 76 of 236
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

256GB SSD sounds nice, but It all depends on how it performs. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple used a slow ass SSD.

I wonder which brand(s) they are using for their SSDs.

I would think that their will be some professionals that will really like the large SSD, 2.93GHz option with 8GB RAM and matte display.
  • Reply 77 of 236
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Damn what happened to all those rumours that went around, I mean who was feeding y'all those rumours. This is the worst macworld ever, glad Apple is leaving it. There must be another event coming up because there can't be a way all those rumours were that wrong.
  • Reply 78 of 236
    Most applications cannot make any real use of 4 cores.

At this point most of the time you are going to see better performance from a duo 2.8 than a quad 2.0.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Yes, there are real performance gains. What kind of question is that, you really think they throw in extra cores just to make the box harder to cool?

• Reply 79 of 236
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

There's no way you can say that updates to iLife and iWork are remotely comparable to the last major demo of OSX before release (and I believe the first time the aqua look was showed off).

I guess I was less excited because while sure it looked cool, as I recall it was pretty clear that it was going to be over a year before it was actually released. The software shown today will be in our grubby little hands in a couple weeks. (1 year, 9 months for 10.1, which was the first really usable version).

Steve Jobs said one more thing and everyone was expecting revamped powerbooks and instead we got freakin iCards.

Quote:

All APPLE has to do in many cases is slap in faster chips, in fact that's exactly what many of their speed bump updates are.

Which is also why there is no earthly reason to expect them as part of a keynote. They'll be here, and they'll be here soon.
  • Reply 80 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applefan46 View Post

Do we have to wait for Final Cut Pro Studio 3 at upcoming NAB?

I thought Apple said this would be their last trade show, and pulled out of NAB.