No New mac mini

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have been waiting since November for MacWorld. I wanted Apple to announce a new mac mini. I am dying for an update. What do you know. Macworld=NO NEW MAC MINI. I am really disappointed in Apple. And sorry for you guys who have been waiting for a iMac refresh. Not today. \

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bamyo13 View Post

I have been waiting since November for MacWorld. I wanted Apple to announce a new mac mini. I am dying for an update. What do you know. Macworld=NO NEW MAC MINI. I am really disappointed in Apple. And sorry for you guys who have been waiting for a iMac refresh. Not today. \

I've already seen about 3 gazillion complaints today about Apple's "Snoozenote". Well, what did you guys expect? We all know why Apple is pulling out of MacWorld: they want to control product releases when Apple feels like it.

So, they threw a couple of small bones for their last MacWorld appearance. I am about 99% sure that the real meat will be coming at a Special Event soon.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RoboNerd View Post

I've already seen about 3 gazillion complaints today about Apple's "Snoozenote". Well, what did you guys expect? We all know why Apple is pulling out of MacWorld: they want to control product releases when Apple feels like it.

So, they threw a couple of small bones for their last MacWorld appearance. I am about 99% sure that the real meat will be coming at a Special Event soon.

good point. but i thought sooner because the mac mini hasn't been updated in more than 500 days
  • Reply 3 of 8
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    The 25th anniversary of the Mac is on January 24th so perhaps they are holding out until then.

They made a 20th anniversary Mac. Perhaps a 28" iMac is what they plan for the 25th or something with a quad in it.

Building up the hype is one thing but after this long, it just doesn't matter any more. No matter what they release now, the reaction won't be 'great job' but 'it's about f* time'.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The 25th anniversary of the Mac is on January 24th so perhaps they are holding out until then.

They made a 20th anniversary Mac. Perhaps a 28" iMac is what they plan for the 25th or something with a quad in it.

Building up the hype is one thing but after this long, it just doesn't matter any more. No matter what they release now, the reaction won't be 'great job' but 'it's about f* time'.

Maybe -- but again, I point to the bigger picture. I think Apple is trying to move away from the buildup of a MacWorld keynote. Why? Because there's no more surprises anymore. Apple has a long history of being a rather cheeky company when it comes to pulling out "gotchas". Can anyone remember the last time we've been surprised by a product announcement? I sure can't.

What if, say, Apple has new iMacs, Mac Pros, and Mac Minis ready to release at a special event in February? The special event that everyone thought was going to be just about Snow Leopard? All of a sudden, here's all this new hardware with 10.6 pre-loaded and pre-optimized to squeeze even more performance out of these shiny new Macs.

We'd be floored.

We'd be thrilled.

I am still convinced that Apple wants its magic wand back, the one that MacWorld has ripped out of its hands. In the end, Apple is about substance, yes, but with a large helping of style on the side.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RoboNerd View Post

The special event that everyone thought was going to be just about Snow Leopard? All of a sudden, here's all this new hardware with 10.6 pre-loaded and pre-optimized to squeeze even more performance out of these shiny new Macs.

We'd be floored.

We'd be thrilled.

Macworld was that event though and it's over now. The hype is gone. Imagine if every Christmas all you got as a kid was a punch in the face. How many Christmases would go by before you stopped caring?

This event was their last chance to do the hype and delivery and they failed big-time. Special events aren't the same because they are usually small-key affairs.

Like I say, it won't matter what they bring out next time round, they've just disappointed fans too many times.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Damn. I bought my Mac Mini 2 weeks ago and this would have been the last day for me to throw myself at the mercy of the local Apple store manager to get the upgraded Mac Mini...which didn't even materialize!

Oh well. I love my Mac Mini anyway. Never mind.

\
  • Reply 7 of 8
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Oh, I just can't help it...
  • Reply 8 of 8
    jowie74jowie74 Posts: 540member
    It will all happen, but when Apple feels like it and not just because there is a show on. Not all products get big updates at a show. Mac Mini will happen, just be patient.