Apple unveils 17-inch MacBook Pro with 8-hour battery

Comments

• Reply 161 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Snow Leopard (ie: OSX 10.6) - Many folks were expecting a demo of the next OS update, but since it's supposed to not have very many user visible new features it really wouldn't make much sense to show it off at MacWorld.

Thanks for the clarification, wrong guess for me.
  • Reply 162 of 236
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdavy View Post

Techstud, I agree blu-ray is awesome. I have 2 PS3's, a 60gb and an 80gb. For Christmas I got an HP DV5Z for the heck of it with a BD-Rom drive for $550 during the sweet deal that HP ran for a few hours days before Christmas. So now thanks to Apple I have two laptops, a new $2500 MBP and and HP $550 toy. At least I do not have to deal with boot camp or parallels. No need with a Mac and a PC. LOL

How is running Blu-ray on the PC laptop? That price is amazing!

I was thinking of the Sony Vaio TZ blu-ray- I want a small laptop not a cookie tin baking sheet to lug around.
  • Reply 163 of 236
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    [QUOTE=jdavy;1358902]
  • Reply 164 of 236
    Is it possible that the antiglare treatment dulls the black bezel and thus making it look greyish? Perhaps this is the reason they decided to go with the light coloured bezel.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by photoeditor View Post

What it appears to indicate to me is that the antiglare display is not the glass in other Macs but the same old same old when it comes to plastic "glass" that requires arsenic as an additive. What I'm seeing in that picture is not the single sheet of glass covering the whole thing but rather the traditional bezel with the display retracted slightly.

I'll be looking out to see if I'm wrong. I hope I am, because if I'm not it means the long-term future of antiglare in LCD flat panels still has a question mark on it.

• Reply 165 of 236
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by knightlie View Post

Wow. I've never seen such a huge, steaming pile of baseless speculation in my life. "1000 charges probably = 600 charges?" Which orifice did you pull that BS from?

The same orifice your head is stuck up... i guess.

1000 charges is the absolute maximum Apple could get from absolute 'projected' perfect conditions.

Their marketing is, and always has been, misleading when it comes to battery performance in laptops.

The longevity cycle of these batteries are only projected 'best guess's". They didn't build these 3 years ago test them in all sorts of conditions and find an average.

Also, they advertise these conditions under "normal online activity". That means not running any productivity applications, watching a dvd, playing a game, or anything that is taxing on the machine. Meaning, the people who will buy this, professionals, will not just be surfing craigslist or facebook, and typing emails. They will not see the battery performance.

Also, people don't usually let the battery run down to 0. Does recharging the battery from 60% count as a charge?

Anyways, idiot, the speculation comes from many many years of experience and a professional understanding of marketing... especially Apple and technology marketing in general.

I should also mention the 3 17" laptops i've owned, and 5 batteries, that never came close to their estimated longevity after a month or two of use.

Should I wait 2 years, when people start griping about the performance, for you to kiss my ass, or would you like to do it now?
  • Reply 166 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Bag of hurt? My A#%!

Blu-ray record sales this holiday season in a recession no less.

record compared to what exactly...??

oh yes BRD last year, not exactly tricky to see why now is it??

if you look at the actual figures (compared to DVD) it isn't impressive at all.
  • Reply 167 of 236
    ijoynerijoyner Posts: 135member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

Horrible show...

Just a MacBook Pro?

What happened to all these new hardware coming out???

I hope these new softwares can run on our aging fleet of Mac's!

Mac mini - VERY OLD

iMac - OLD

Mac Pro - VERY OLD

They didn't even bring the prices down on these old products... Apple will give sales to PCs if they don't bring out new hardware ASAP! And if they do... THE WORLD WAS WATCHING TODAY AT MACWORLD EXPO! They should have done it with a BANG! I guess Steve (God Bless him) but his health has put a damper on Apple... That means without him Apple is in deep trouble... It's no wonder Phil did the show... All about software and one hardware - YAH!

I was hoping to see Mini and iMac as well. I could do with either of those. However, I suspect that there is probably not enough supply of technologies to satisfy demand. For example, if Intel's new Nehalem chip is in these machines, maybe production hasn't ramped up enough to fill the supply chain. Can't really blame Apple for that. I bet they want to release their new products as well, but it has to be done responsibly. Let's hope whatever problems there are are solved soon.
  • Reply 168 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

Well said dude, most computers are fast enough what people want to do with their computers, specs are going to become more and more irrelevant.

which means price becomes more key...

on both counts Apple = lose.
  • Reply 169 of 236
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archipellago View Post

2 new mainly irrelevant software suites.

serious competitors to Office? give me a break.

Online component massive..??

erm... Google Docs..... most likely better and definitely cheaper.

this keynote was like welcome to 2007.

suddenly Windows 7 looks even better!

You have no clue. Microsoft has said themselves that the average Office user uses less than 5 % of the functionality of Word/Excel.

And by the looks of the crap that hits my disk, they do a hell of a poor job of what they do use.

It is obvious that you haven't taken the time to trial iWorks or iworks.com.

But then again, how can you? You don't have a Mac or Mobile Me in the first place.
  • Reply 170 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rodyb View Post

I think it's such a waste of time, getting my hopes up since september.

I have been wanted to buy an iMac since a long time but yet every time I feel so dissapointed.

First it was in october, then they updated the notebooks, I thought then MWSF would pay off my waiting, but yet again they failed.

Im starting to really wonder what the problem is with Apple, the others like Dell and HP already have quadcore for a long time.

Have to wait again for another 10 years ?

buy a dell and then something else with the change..
  • Reply 171 of 236
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

I'm not saying apple shouldn't sell their pricier models. What I'm saying is would have killed apple to update the models on the lower end?

It didn't help Dell.
  • Reply 172 of 236
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

A 1,000 full charges. Incremental charging or topping off are not factored. As Apple recommends, you should re-calibrate i.e., fully charge and discharge your battery once a month. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490

As such, under ideal circumstances, (see article above on temperature, storage and optimal settings, etc., the battery on the should last nearly 83 years. However, nothing is ever ideal.

What I wanted to know is how many hours of use will I get out of a battery that has reached the 1000th charge? For example (guessing from memory) I have an old PowerBook G4 that has about 450 cycles on the battery as indicated in System Profiler. Fully charged, the battery only lasts about 45 minutes. Not very useful by itself, but with a 2nd battery at hand I can still get value out of this battery.

After 1000 charges, what is the remaining usable capacity of this new battery? If it's 2 hours, than I'd say the 1000 charge claim is a crock of you-know-what because I can't simply carry around a spare battery. You can't use the battery up as completely (like I have my PowerBook battery) because you have no backup to switch to. This means, as a percentage of the original capacity of the battery, I'm throwing out these new batteries long before I would a normal battery because I have no backup.

BTW: I'm not complaining or bitching, just curious. I'm sure the remaining capacity at the 1000th charge is better than 2 hours. But it surely isn't 8 hours. So what is it? How does Apple calculate the 1000 charge number? Is there a standard that says, "count the number of charging cycles until the battery can only hold X% of it's original charge and that is the number of times you say the battery can be recharged"?
  • Reply 173 of 236
    Quote:

It didn't help Dell.

And you know that how?
  • Reply 174 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

The biggest problem right now with the economy is the mindset ascribed to above. If you believe the economy is bad and beyond repair you don't spend money. Thus we have a self full filing prophecy and the economy gets worst.

Besides that does anyone recall last year? I mean really talk about short memories, Apple is likely to be rolling out new products for the next couple of months.

Dave

true but part of the original promblem was lack of value for the original investment. This, IMO, is more of the same.
  • Reply 175 of 236
    hosshoss Posts: 69member
    I promise you that this was a planned letdown. Steve Jobs was starting to be boxed in by the hype. There was no way in hell to maintain the art of the surprise when everyone on Earth is going as far as to track aluminum shipments to Taiwan in order to guess what the surprise is.

Steve will be more comfortable springing products on us in the future when the timing is ideal...and not scheduled.
  • Reply 176 of 236
    Quote:

You have no clue. Microsoft has said themselves that the average Office user uses less than 5 % of the functionality of Word/Excel.

And by the looks of the crap that hits my disk, they do a hell of a poor job of what they do use.

It is obvious that you haven't taken the time to trial iWorks or iworks.com.

But then again, how can you? You don't have a Mac or Mobile Me in the first place.

I'm sure MS is right.

I merge and export SAS datasets into excel, amongst other things.

I have a Mac, I had .Mac for 3 years..the switch to mobileme was pathetic and I left.

Iwork is and will continue to be irrelevant for 95% of computer users.
  • Reply 177 of 236
    I'm not understanding all of these people mystified about the aluminum bezel. Here's what happened. The Apple people sat around a room figuring out how they could not make the same "glossy" mistake with the 17 inch that they did with the other unibodies (pissed off customers, etc.)

Mark my words, there's a 9 out of 10 chance that what they are calling the "anti-glare" screen is the same damn matte screen they had in the old 17 inch hurriedly retrofitted to fit in the unibody 17 inch. Use the same old screen and charge people $50 for the privilege!! That, my friends, is classic Apple. Kinda like putting a slower processor in the unibody MB (yeah, at least it has inVidia now), pulling the firewire port, and charging more for it. An APPLE TAX, indeed.

And by calling it "anti-glare" they divert attention somewhat from their f-up with the other unibodies because everyone was screaming for "matte" screens right away. Subtly change what you call a matte screen so it kind of makes it seem you aren't just giving in to public pressure....
  • Reply 178 of 236
    johnqhjohnqh Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

What I wanted to know is how many hours of use will I get out of a battery that has reached the 1000th charge? For example (guessing from memory) I have an old PowerBook G4 that has about 450 cycles on the battery as indicated in System Profiler. Fully charged, the battery only lasts about 45 minutes. Not very useful by itself, but with a 2nd battery at hand I can still get value out of this battery.

Good points.

Just for fun, I searched for a Windows 17" laptop - Dell Precision M6400. The spec only says 9-cell battery with no claim on how many hours. I found some reviews using the "2 hour and 13 minutes" number.

So, let's say after 1000 charges, the MBP's battery only lasts 2 hours. That's about the same as a new Precision M6400.

Looked up 17" Thinkpad W700's spec too. Battery life 135 minutes (also just a hair over 2 hours).
  • Reply 179 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnqh View Post

Good points.

Just for fun, I searched for a Windows 17" laptop - Dell Precision M6400. The spec only says 9-cell battery with no claim on how many hours. I found some reviews using the "2 hour and 13 minutes" number.

So, let's say after 1000 charges, the MBP's battery only lasts 2 hours. That's about the same as a new Precision M6400.

Looked up 17" Thinkpad W700's spec too. Battery life 135 minutes (also just a hair over 2 hours).

funny you didn't mention the price..

how many spare batteries could you buy for the difference? negating the advantages??

I'm in the UK, the new MBP will cost £1900+

for half that price I can get a samsung dual core with BRD.
  • Reply 180 of 236
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:

... I have a Mac, I had .Mac for 3 years..the switch to mobileme was pathetic and I left.

So you joined pretty much at the start, used it for three years, even when they started charging for it and even when they doubled the price and added no new features, then you left in a huff, when it changed to MobileMe? That's a crazy and very emotional response if true.

Quote:

...Iwork is and will continue to be irrelevant for 95% of computer users.

So we should believe you because you don't know how to spell the product name? These kind of blanket statements based on nothing are usually the mark of an immature mind, as is making up statistics like "95%."