Woz helps take the wraps off Modbook Pro tablet (photos)

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Users clamoring for a high-performance tablet computer running Mac OS X have a new option this week, with Mac modifier Axiotron announcing the Modbook Pro tablet at Macworld Expo, available now for pre-order.

The tablet Mac, introduced with the help of Apple co-founder and Axiotron board member Steve Wozniak, uses the 15.4" unibody MacBook Pro as its base system.Â* Until today, Axiotron only sold Modbooks built on top of the 13" MacBook, but the company is adding the extra power and utility of the MacBook Pro to its offerings.

The Modbook Pro will sport a black luster finish and aluminum construction.Â* Its Synergy Touch screen supports both touch and pen input simultaneously -- a feature Axiomatic says is not available on any other tablet.Â*

The unit almost exactly matches the MacBook Pro's feature set with Ethernet, FireWire 800, two USB 2.0 ports, Mini DisplayPort, digital audio, ExpressCard/34 and Bluetooth.Â*

With up to a 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo processor, the system is well-powered.Â* The 15.4" WXGA display is the largest available on a tablet computer, and its 0.93 inch depth is slightly thinner than the MacBook base system.Â*Graphics are provided with the NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT processor.Â* A 320GB 7200-rpm hard drive or 128GB solid-state drive provide storage, and a camera and GPS system are also built in.

Axiomatic's screen bezel also sports a built-in three-button keybar with a power button, Mod Key, and battery indicator.Â* The optical drive bay and a pen garage with magnetic pen catch are on top.Â* A user interface called Quicktouch appears translucently on the screen with an overlay of buttons, pads, and alphanumeric keys.Â* Axiotron's Quickscript handwriting recognition technology helps with writing and notetaking, and the system supports both landscape and portrait mode.

Axiotron'sÂ*SketchBook Express 2009Â*comes with every Pro purchase.Â* Billed as "a studio in your hands", SketchBook is designed to make sketching with a digitizer pen easy with features like a gesture-based interface, simulated paper, arced tool palate, and no manual required to get started. Â*Sketches can be saved in standard file formats for simple sharing.

A partitioned drive pre-installed with Microsoft Vista is available with the Modbook Pro as an option.Â* The company estimates a ship date of May/June 2009 and is accepting pre-ordersÂ*onlineÂ*soon.Â* The Modbook Pro starts at $4,999 for the new 2.4GHz Apple MacBook Pro base system.Â*Limited time Macworld pricing is available for around $4500.Â*For customers who want to convert hardware they already own, the Modservice Pro option starts at $3,049.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I just knew he was after Jobs' job!
  • Reply 2 of 38
    What's up with his watch?
  • Reply 3 of 38
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,462member
    I didn't see an adjustable easel on this ModBook, I depend heavily on my Cintiq's easel. In my opinion it would be a mistake to leave it out.
  • Reply 4 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by studiomusic View Post

You mean watches?
  • Reply 5 of 38
    I just read the info on their site about the ModBook Pro, and it actually looks pretty cool...

Sadly, though, 5,000 is way too much to spend on a laptop, even a tablet, with those specs
  • Reply 6 of 38
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Well, at least this makes the 17" MBP look cheap. Hard to imagine them selling many of these, but would love to hear who is in the market for something like this (at that price).
  • Reply 7 of 38
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:

i got some close ups of the watch, u want me to add them?

K
  • Reply 8 of 38
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    Whoa -- looks like somebody's mancrush got the better of them.
  • Reply 9 of 38
    freenyfreeny Posts: 128member
    You know what this article needs?...

More photos of Woz...
  • Reply 10 of 38
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

Woz is "old school".

They are not watches. One is a sundial and the other a portable StarGate?

And 8 photos of Woz (none with the tablet) and only 5 of the tablet?

Nice close-up of his badge though.
  • Reply 11 of 38
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

K

I would be curious to see them. One of them looks like a toy watch you'd find in a cereal box, though at least it's black and not some neon color.
  • Reply 12 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

K

Yes
  • Reply 13 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Yes

reload the article. last one in the Woz section
  • Reply 14 of 38
    OMG! Is that a Nixie watch!!!
  • Reply 15 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

OMG! Is that a Nixie watch!!!

there's a dirty Kleenex in there or a parachute ...
  • Reply 16 of 38
    jaqjaq Posts: 2member
    If Jobs is looking to get back the weight he lost, Woz appears to have found it.
  • Reply 17 of 38
    Yes it is, I found it through Google, and it's $395

http://www.cathodecorner.com/nixiewatch/

click thumbnail for a larger image.
  • Reply 18 of 38
    The economy must be really bad!
  • Reply 19 of 38
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Well, at least this makes the 17" MBP look cheap. Hard to imagine them selling many of these, but would love to hear who is in the market for something like this (at that price).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JakeTheRock View Post

I just read the info on their site about the ModBook Pro, and it actually looks pretty cool...

Sadly, though, 5,000 is way too much to spend on a laptop, even a tablet, with those specs

Some notebooks used to cost about that at. I went to Apple-History and found a model at a whopping 25MHz CPU, 10" mono screen starting at $4700.

I certainly don't expect to ever buy it, but I think it's nice that there is an option for those that really do need it.
  • Reply 20 of 38
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    the most notable parts of all these pictures was the inside of Woz' nose.