Apple introduces iLife '09

Comments

• Reply 61 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djames42 View Post

Oh indeed, it would be a nice feature if files could be batch-renamed in iPhoto, but batch-renaming them prior to import is an alternative to spending $200 for Aperture and then learning how to use it (as its interface can be a bit intimidating at first; I personally could not live without Aperture and very rarely use iPhoto anymore).

I batch-rename my files before I import them into iPhoto but I would love for iPhoto to let me rename them. I'll give Aperture another try but $200 for a fancy photo manager that I won't really use it a lot of money. I wonder how difficult it would be to write a plugin for iPhoto to do this?

If I imported the pictures from the camera into iPhoto, removed the bad pictures and ran a script or a plugin that would copy the pictures from event's folder in the iPhoto folder -> renamed the pictures based on the event's name -> put the renamed files in a temp folder -> delete the corresponding iPhoto event -> import the renamed files back to iPhoto into an event.

I think my logic is ok - it would certainly take awhile though but at least it would be automated and my wife could use iPhoto to import the pictures.
  • Reply 62 of 92
    Garageband seems to have undergone a UI overhaul, which is nice, but the only new features seem to be the instructional video (which doesn't interest me) an improved Magic Garageband and an apparently new set of effects and amp simulations. The Apple site is pretty vague on details on the last bit. Is there any more info out there?

Also, with regard to the video content: in 1983, Sting had probably the most refined sense of cool in rock music. His presence in a Garageband lesson video shows that you can't even see cool from where he is.
  • Reply 63 of 92
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

All these improvements are nice and all but where am I going to put the bits on my MBP. At 200GB I'm almost full now. I'm really hoping that SL does in fact free up a lot of disk space because things are a bit crowded.

You can buy 500GB notebook drives too, drives are very cheap now. Just be careful to buy the thinner ones, the thicker ones won't fit.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

You know tape is the dumbest way to store/share/distribute movies right?

Tape can be the smartest way to store as in an archival medium, but sharing and distribution are likely different, but that depends on considerations and circumstances.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

If you have to manage 20K images, sounds like you might want to look into Aperture or Lightroom.

True, though Picasa is a good example of a program that can handle 25k+ pictures without so much as a blink. Aperture and iPhoto can be pretty sluggish. I think the two companies can learn from each other.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

I guess you're ignorant of how long it has been since machines like the Mini and Mac Pro have been updated.

One year and a half and one year, respectively. The CPUs really weren't updated for the Mac Pro anyway, it's a bit too much to expect updates when new CPUs aren't available when Apple doesn't update Mac Pros until a new processor is available.

The mini has always been a second class citizen, I doubt that would ever change.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I mean- who cares about the face?

Face recognition is probably the best way to identify the person that the face is attached to.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kjgienapp View Post

I batch-rename my files before I import them into iPhoto but I would love for iPhoto to let me rename them. I'll give Aperture another try but $200 for a fancy photo manager that I won't really use it a lot of money. I wonder how difficult it would be to write a plugin for iPhoto to do this?

Aperture is more than just a fancy photo manager. But if I had to do it again, I think I would give Lightroom a more serious look. I chose Aperture only because I got a very good deal at a CompUSA closing sale.
  • Reply 64 of 92
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

No entirely new app? Apple used to be able to release a whole new iApp every year, but now all they can manage is updates.

To introduce a new app, there has to be a broad need for it in the consumer space. What would you suggest? I think the updates do offer some interesting new features.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by oberpongo View Post

well this is nice:

Mac Box Set, Leopard, iLife, and iWork for $169.

Hope that this will also be available with snow leopard.

To bad that iWork is available now, but ilife at the end of January and Snow Leopard sometime in Q2.

It's a good incentive to wait, though I wonder if it's a limited time bundle.
  • Reply 65 of 92
    frankiefrankie Posts: 381member
    Can iWeb actually produce and manage more than 1 web site at a time now?

I found that missing from the first release ridiculous.

Thanks for any info!
  • Reply 66 of 92
    Please delete
  • Reply 67 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Not true - http://www.apple.com/ilife/systemrequirements.html

What does this sentence mean? ;-)

It does require Intel see these lines from the link above:

Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5, or PowerPC G4 (867MHz or faster) processor

iMovie requires an Intel-based Mac, Power Mac G5 (dual 2.0GHz or faster), or iMac G5 (1.9GHz or faster).

GarageBand Learn to Play requires an Intel-based Mac with a dual-core processor or better.

You can not use iMovie 09 on a PPC G4, nor can you run the Learn to Play on any PPC (G4 nor G5)
  • Reply 68 of 92
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kjgienapp View Post

If I imported the pictures from the camera into iPhoto, removed the bad pictures and ran a script or a plugin that would copy the pictures from event's folder in the iPhoto folder -> renamed the pictures based on the event's name -> put the renamed files in a temp folder -> delete the corresponding iPhoto event -> import the renamed files back to iPhoto into an event.

I think my logic is ok - it would certainly take awhile though but at least it would be automated and my wife could use iPhoto to import the pictures.

I assume you want to rename upon export of iphoto for use in some other application. A quick google give.

"Add a title to a pic in iPhoot, then if you want to export the pic simply use the File -> Export command and use the ?Title as Filename? option."

So the exported files have unique, meaningful names. I believe this has been available is iphoto 6
  • Reply 69 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I hope iMovie can export back to Tape

My biggest concern was that Apple never fixed the issues with iMovie 08 when editing and exporting DV tape SD formatted video!! \

You could spend hours editing your video and getting everything looking good and then when the Video was rednered onto a DVD or back to tape the video quality was appaling!!

So I am hoping iMovie 09 is much better at editig video and exporting to different formats, cause I have been surviving on imovie 06 for 2 years!

Yakuzah.
  • Reply 70 of 92
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frankie View Post

Thanks for any info!

I have about 7 different sites in iWeb '08.
  • Reply 71 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

I assume you want to rename upon export of iphoto for use in some other application. A quick google give.

"Add a title to a pic in iPhoot, then if you want to export the pic simply use the File -> Export command and use the ?Title as Filename? option."

So the exported files have unique, meaningful names. I believe this has been available is iphoto 6

I used to do this manually before I uploaded the pictures to my webserver but found that renaming them before iPhoto worked and they were correctly named in iPhoto. I would like the pictures' filenames to be descriptive in iPhoto not just after an export.

I'll see if I can get automator to do this before I have it batch rename my pictures and re-import them into iPhoto. Thanks for the idea - I've done it the other way for so long I forgot I could do this.
  • Reply 72 of 92
    Photo face recognition is cool - but yet another tool that excludes an often-ignored demographic - twins.

And does it work for pets too?
  • Reply 73 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oberpongo View Post

Great new features. It's the software that makes every Mac so much more fun than a PC. To bad though that i just got a new MacBook Pro for XMAS and will have to pay 79$ for new iLife and another 79$ for the new iWork.

When I worked at my local Apple Retail Store, as I am sure is still the case, there was a 2 week return/adjustment period. Depending on the date on your receipt (if your MacBook was purchased within 2 weeks) you can "return" the MacBook to the store and "repurchase" the same MacBook with the discounted $49 version of iWork.

In my experience, as long as you are not a jerk about it (not that you *personally* are, just speaking in generalities) the staff/managers have been very understanding and nice about things like this. Never know unless you try. . . .

It's not much, but $30 is $30 (or 30 Wendy's Junior Bacon Cheeseburgers, depending on your preferred form of currency).
  • Reply 74 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Too lazy to look youself?

http://www.apple.com/ilife/idvd/

Interesting that on all of the promotional banners, the Apple homepage, etc. When iLife 09 is mentioned, listed are iPhoto, iMovie, GarageBand, and iWeb. iDVD, although still part of iLife '09, sure is getting a little bit shade, isn't it?
  • Reply 75 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crentist View Post

Interesting that on all of the promotional banners, the Apple homepage, etc. When iLife 09 is mentioned, listed are iPhoto, iMovie, GarageBand, and iWeb. iDVD, although still part of iLife '09, sure is getting a little bit shade, isn't it?

And iDVD is the only one that isn't branded with '09.

Phil Schiller may get into a little trouble for accidentally saying iDVD was also new for iLife '09.
  • Reply 76 of 92
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by carloblackmore View Post

Photo face recognition is cool - but yet another tool that excludes an often-ignored demographic - twins.

And does it work for pets too?

I wonder if there is any way for it to take into account that my daughter, even though she has the same name, doesn't look the same over the course of a year or two.

I wonder if that will mess things up.

Either way, it's a pretty cool feature.
  • Reply 77 of 92
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMick View Post

I wonder if there is any way for it to take into account that my daughter, even though she has the same name, doesn't look the same over the course of a year or two.

I wonder if that will mess things up.

Either way, it's a pretty cool feature.

Google's Picasa Web Album has this feature and it wasn't able to recognize my kid's face a few years apart. What can you do if a face changes?
  • Reply 78 of 92
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frankie View Post

Thanks for any info!

It has always been able to manage multiple websites, I have many all done in the same version of iWeb '08. No tricks just the basic app.

www.idparkinson.co.uk

www.mysausages.com

www.urbanremotesport.com

http://web.me.com/idparkinson/Adriatic/Welcome.html
  • Reply 79 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by carloblackmore View Post

And iDVD is the only one that isn't branded with '09.

Phil Schiller may get into a little trouble for accidentally saying iDVD was also new for iLife '09.

He did not say iDVD was 'new' for iLife '09, he just said it was part of it.
  • Reply 80 of 92
    Looks like 'Faces' was not the original name for the new feature.

Have a look here :-

http://www.apple.com/ilife/tutorials/#iphoto-people

Notice the 'Organise your photos using People'.