10.2 will cost $, what do you expect...

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
If we are to pay for this update, what should we expect in terms of features.

I would think it should be a pretty complete OS by now.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    With all it's improvements I'd call this more than a bug fix so between $99.00 and $129.00. If it's less I'll be pleasantly surprised.
  • Reply 2 of 43
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    That's my attitude though in the back of my head I really hope it will be less.
  • Reply 3 of 43
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by jimmac:

<strong>With all it's improvements I'd call this more than a bug fix so between $99.00 and $129.00. If it's less I'll be pleasantly surprised.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Nah, that's too much. $50 would be a fair price I think.
  • Reply 4 of 43
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Anywhere from 30 to 50 bucks...
  • Reply 5 of 43
    scott f.scott f. Posts: 276member
    My guess... based on ABSOLUTELY NOfact or insider information:

Full Version: $129

Update: $59

And I bet they send out special "coupons" for some of us registered owners of OSX discounting $10 or $20 off.
  • Reply 6 of 43
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    I think it will be $129 for everybody. No updates and no rebates.
  • Reply 7 of 43
    There will definitly be Update pricing. I'd say $29.99 to 39.99 would be reasonable. Full retail will still be $129.
  • Reply 8 of 43
    bluejekyllbluejekyll Posts: 103member
    Given the number of things that will be included in this version, I don't care what the price will be, it will be worth it. But based on past updates, I think $130 and a $30-50 update version.

Although, I think I'm going to use this new version as an excuse for a new PowerMac...
  • Reply 9 of 43
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Apple did offer their last upgrade for free, so who?s to say they won?t do it again. The jump from 10.1 to 10.2 will not be greater than the jump from 10.0 to 10.1 was. True, 10.2 introduces more new features to the OS than 10.1 did, but 10.1 added something that was more essential, usability. Apple could have charged people for 10.1. Many would have gladly paid $99 for that upgrade, but I think Apple is finally seeing the larger picture. If they charge users for upgrades, sure they'll make more money in the short term, but over time they'll have a large base of users who aren?t running the latest version of the Mac OS. And if Apple wants developers to take advantage of the newest/most-advanced features in the Mac OS, it is essential that a majority of users run the latest version. Take for example OS 10.1.5, which adds Quartz anti-aliasing support to Carbon applications. It is a free upgrade, so most users are running it now. If this update wasn?t free, do you think Microsoft and other developers would have released or would be working on versions of their software that support anti-aliasing? No, and their would be one less advantage of using OS X instead of Windows. Granted, anti-aliasing doesn?t matter to most users, but in the future something new may come along that Apple will want developers to take advantage of right away. If everyone is up to date, developers will say yes. Otherwise, the new feature is pretty much useless. Upgrading users for free insures that developers will write good applications that use the coolest features, and in the end this what will keep current users loyal to the Mac OS and what will draw new users into the fold. If Apple is smart, the death of OS 9 will also mark the death of the $99 upgrade. Software development aside, it also means Apple will not have to worry about 10.1 support down the road. These benefits definitely outweigh the smaller benefits of a little extra cash. Apple can afford to give their software away free anyway. Aren?t they a hardware company after all?
  • Reply 10 of 43
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Oh, and as far as what the original post was talking about, I think we've pretty much read about the new features from Apple or in forums like this: Lots of fixes, tweaks, revisions, and completed stuff; New tech like Rendezvous, LDAP Address book/service, Ink, printing architecture, audio architecture, and Quartz extreme added; Interface changes and improvements all around; Updated system components (BSD, compilers, etc.).
  • Reply 11 of 43
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    Keesky:: Nice perspective! I likes, and of course, I hope that's the same lines apple is thinking of.......

Either way, imo, a fair price [if not free] is between 20-35 50 @ the highest. Hopefully nothing higher.
  • Reply 12 of 43
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    $99 for a full version. No updates.

late 1997 - Mac OS 8

late 1998 - Mac OS 8.5

late 1999 - Mac OS 9

2000 - free updates to Mac OS 9, build up to Mac OS X

2001 - Mac OS X 10.0

2002 - Mac OS X Jaguar

Once a year full price updates is nothing new for Apple.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>$99 for a full version. No updates.

late 1997 - Mac OS 8

late 1998 - Mac OS 8.5

late 1999 - Mac OS 9

2000 - free updates to Mac OS 9, build up to Mac OS X

2001 - Mac OS X 10.0

2002 - Mac OS X Jaguar

Once a year full price updates is nothing new for Apple.</strong><hr></blockquote>

agreed. Apple needs revenue and they also make huge profit off of software. It would be foolish for them not to charge. it may very well be 99 bucks but I am hoping they go for a midrange like 59 or 69. If not, doesn't matter. 10.2 offers a lot and hopefully a lot more than we have seen.

One thing I would like though is for QT Pro 6 to be part of the update. That's how QT pro 3 was handled when 8.5 came out
  • Reply 14 of 43
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    40 bucks for package,

local reseller:free with OS Coupon
  • Reply 15 of 43
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>

10.2 offers a lot and hopefully a lot more than we have seen.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

do we know that it will be called 10.2? it seems like if this is as major as everyone says, they might make it a 10.5. jmtc
  • Reply 16 of 43
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    I don't think it should be more than $50.00. $30-40 seems reasonable. With everything that it includes, I might even go up to $70. If it is $99, than I'll have to wait untill October or November to buy it, since right now my money is going to a new graphics card.
  • Reply 17 of 43
    scott f.scott f. Posts: 276member
    [quote]Originally posted by CubeDude:

<strong>I don't think it should be more than $50.00. $30-40 seems reasonable. With everything that it includes, I might even go up to $70. If it is $99, than I'll have to wait untill October or November to buy it, since right now my money is going to a new graphics card.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Are you thinking in that price-range for an UPDATE of full-install...?

A full-Install SHOULD cost more than $70. If you are a Mac OS 8.x or 9.x user and you do not have X at all... then you should be paying the full-price for a full-blown OS. It's not an upgrade if you do not yet run OSX.

Likewise... I will probably opt for a full-install CD, so I don't have to do the dreaded install of the first OSX version and do all the updates along the way if I need to reinstall the OS at any time in the future.
  • Reply 18 of 43
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    [quote]Originally posted by sickmiller:

<strong>

do we know that it will be called 10.2? it seems like if this is as major as everyone says, they might make it a 10.5. jmtc</strong><hr></blockquote>

It is almost certain Jaguar will be named 10.2 as Apple has dropped their previous naming system, 8.0 8.1 8.5 8.6, in favor of the NEXT one, 9.0 9.1 9.2 10.0 10.1 10.1.1 10.1.2 ect. Apple has even referred to Jaguar as 10.2, but I can't recall where.
  • Reply 19 of 43
    It should at least have what 10.0 should have had. But that would be asking too much right?
  • Reply 20 of 43
    Will the update mean that my printer's functions return or my scanner works? If we have to pay (again) shouldn't we get an OS that does what we always could as a minimum? If the new version is complete 'Classic' should be redundant.