iTunes Store Goes DRM Free

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 66
    cykzcykz Posts: 81member
    I'm really thrilled that iTunes got DRM free.

And best of all, for reasonable prices.

I do feel sorry for everyone who wants to/needs to upgrade their tracks but on the whole this is terrific news.
  • Reply 62 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PKGuy323 View Post

Maybe Apple should consider its own in-house music label.

I don't think Apple Records would be too pleased with that move.
  • Reply 63 of 66
    Was being able to play a song ONLY on five computers really so bad? Who was burning more than seven CDs off a single playlist? And if you are trying to use an MP3 player other than an iPod/iPhone, why are you using iTunes anyway?

There was actually a funny "news" article on this topic... "People with six or more computers rejoice over iTunes DRM changes".
  • Reply 64 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WiggyWack View Post

Was being able to play a song ONLY on five computers really so bad? Who was burning more than seven CDs off a single playlist? And if you are trying to use an MP3 player other than an iPod/iPhone, why are you using iTunes anyway?

There was actually a funny "news" article on this topic... "People with six or more computers rejoice over iTunes DRM changes".

Because I have owned more than 6 PCs (Macs included) in my lifetime, and I'm sick and tired of running into issues where I forgot to unauthorize my previous computers. Also, people like to stream their iTunes libraries to non Apple products such as a Wii, PS3, and XBox 360. All of them can play AAC, but none of them can play "protected media." This is tremendously annoying as well.

These are just a small portion of my utter hatred of DRM. DRM needs to go away.
  • Reply 65 of 66
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MotherBrain View Post

I don't think Apple Records would be too pleased with that move.

That dispute has been settled. Apple, Inc. can do whatever the heck they please with music now.
  • Reply 66 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

But it is a needlessly rigid system, it treats a triple platinum album the same as a double rust one, and prices a new track the same as an old one. The desire to keep everything the exact same price despite difference in demand and desirability seems pretty quaint to me.

Please tell me what other circumstances outside of what iTunes sells where several different releases were priced exactly the same. New release DVDs are not always priced the same as each other, and they dropped in price in time, but rarely at the same speed as each other. Nobody that's sane goes to a book store complaining that book XY is not priced the same as YZ even if they are about the same size. Even dollar stores aren't nearly so rigid as the pricing of music tracks.

Very well said. I wish I could've said it better.

Again, I put out this question to those still complaining about the variable pricing (using iTunes as my example): Why is it ok for iPhone apps to have variable pricing, but not music?

A second question, do you guys go crazy when you go to Target, Best Buy, etc. and see that all the prices are different? OMG!!!!

Get over it. Seriously.