Apple ID HELP

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Several years ago when the iPod first came out and iTunes was reintroduced, I decided to make a little thing called an Apple ID. Having somebody else do it for me, of course it was not done right and I was not fond of the name. After several years of looking for a way to change my Apple ID name, I was told that it CANNOT be changed. After falling in love with all of the features of the iPod/iPhone/iTunes, I decided to get a white Macbook, the last revision before they made the aluminums last fall. When I turned on my Macbook it said to type in my apple ID. I thought of finally making my own, but realized my music would not be playable with that ID. And here is my dilemma. I have 1000 photos and 4000 songs, along with 50 documents on my Mac. All tied to my Apple ID. How can I change my apple ID? I know ive been told its not possible, but I would really like to change the name. Is it possible for me to make my own new ID to run on my Macbook? I would then need to somehow put all of my photos and music and documents onto this new ID. This is what I want

New Apple ID.

To be able to Transfer all of my Photos, Documents, and Songs from my old account, (my songs on my PC and Mac are both the same amount and are both linked to the same ID)

I am not very educated with technology as you can probably tell. Can anyone PLEASE help me this issue? I really don?t want to lose all my stuff.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    The only stuff tied to the ID is the DRM protected content purchased through the iTunes Store. Everything else is freely moveable.

As for the DRM'd music and movies, unless you can talk Apple into changing the name on your account, you are S.O.L.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

The only stuff tied to the ID is the DRM protected content purchased through the iTunes Store. Everything else is freely moveable.

As for the DRM'd music and movies, unless you can talk Apple into changing the name on your account, you are S.O.L.

Ok so wait.

If I make a new user on my Macbook, it will have all of the photos on it and documents?

Today apple announced DRM free music. Does that meen I can upgrade all my music and somehow get it on to my new apple account?

What I really would like to do is get rid of my itunes library on my mac. Restart with a new account. Have all of my photos on the account and documents, then move my DRM free songs from my computer to the laptop onto a different account.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beauboy93 View Post

If I make a new user on my Macbook, it will have all of the photos on it and documents?...

You will have to move them from one user to the new one, they won't just "show up".

Quote:

Today apple announced DRM free music. Does that meen I can upgrade all my music and somehow get it on to my new apple account?...

30 cents per song, but yes. Once you get rid of the DRM, it's not tied to an AppleID anymore... do whatever you want with it. (Again, you'll have to move the files to the new user yourself.) But, are all your purchased songs even available for upgrade?

Quote:

...What I really would like to do is get rid of my itunes library on my mac. Restart with a new account. Have all of my photos on the account and documents, then move my DRM free songs from my computer to the laptop onto a different account.

It really sounds like you are making this more difficult than it needs to be ... Why the new User ?... It seems that all you really want to do is strip the DRM from your iTunes purchases (upgrade them), then create a new AppleID. Photo's and Documents are in no way tied to the AppleID to begin with.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

You will have to move them from one user to the new one, they won't just "show up".

30 cents per song, but yes. Once you get rid of the DRM, it's not tied to an AppleID anymore... do whatever you want with it. (Again, you'll have to move the files to the new user yourself.) But, are all your purchased songs even available for upgrade?

It really sounds like you are making this more difficult than it needs to be ... Why the new User ?... It seems that all you really want to do is strip the DRM from your iTunes purchases (upgrade them), then create a new AppleID. Photo's and Documents are in no way tied to the AppleID to begin with.

I sort of confused my self.

I named the user for my macbook similar to my apple ID on accident, thinking that i needed to use it to view all of my music.

I want to change, Change my user name.

Move all of my photos, documents, and DRM free songs onto this new user.

But HOW do I do this? Like I said, im not very educated with macs or technology is general
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

I sort of confused my self.

I named the user for my macbook similar to my apple ID on accident, thinking that i needed to use it to view all of my music.

I want to change, Change my user name.

Move all of my photos, documents, and DRM free songs onto this new user.

But HOW do I do this? Like I said, im not very educated with macs or technology is general

Im sorry, not the User name.

When you go to places in the finder, the name right underneath desktop.

Im not sure if thats an ID or not.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Im sorry, not the User name.

When you go to places in the finder, the name right underneath desktop.

Im not sure if thats an ID or not.

Okay wait wait forget everything I have just said.

I just changed my Apple ID. Ive got the name I want.

My only problem is this, the custom name for my Home Tab in the Mac Finer Window under places. I think its called your short name? how do I change my shortname?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Just so you know, your Mac OS X user name and your Apple ID are two completely different things. Your Apple ID is the account you use on Apple's website and your iTunes account. Your user name (and your short name) is used to log into your laptop/desktop and to perform command line tasks. Changing your short name (the one used in command line) is tedious and usually unnecessary. It's possible, but since you're not an advanced user it's highly discouraged.

Hopefully that clears up some of the confusion.