An extensive look at Apple's new iWork.com service

Comments

• Reply 21 of 82
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Hello Dan!

I think it's an oversight that there's no iWork.com landing page. There should be one just like there is for me.com A stupid oversight on Apple's part. They could add a "buy now" button on the page for iWork '09 if they must. Sometimes you can't help but just wonder with Apple. Ridiculo-so!

Prince McClean = Daniel? So what? Why the need for a pseudonym anyway for tech writing... with the exception of Fake Steve Jobs?
  • Reply 22 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPhelim View Post

I agree that it seems extortionate to make people who have already bought iWork- and quite probably MobileMe as well- pay for this (although we are still yet to see how much they charge of course).

Extortionate? Really? I don't see how this seems extortionate at all. I don't see how Apple is going to make anyone pay for anything here. They are simply trying to develop a new service that they (obviously) think will have value to some people, enough value that those people will willingly and voluntarily pay for the service. Clearly it remains to be seen if any paying customers agree. But there's no extortion involved here.
  • Reply 23 of 82
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Has anybody tried it yet?

I have been using it since yesterday.

First impression. Absolutely beautiful.

Fast. Simple. Fast. Simple.

Tested with one of my staunch 'PC' big pharma client and they were amazed. Sent over a Pages document to comment on and allowed them to downloaded the Word format. They couldn't tell the difference between Pages on screen and the Word file.

Their comment. How the hell did you do it so fast?

Best thing about it, any documents that I am generating are being commented without them getting and messing with the original which can be a dog's breakfast to track. Since there is a perception that everything must be done in Word, so far I have been posting documents in Pages and nobody has noticed any difference. Except, they look better and more professional.

I guess Apple can count on you to pay for the service!
  • Reply 24 of 82
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

So Prince McClean's name is actually Daniel? So what? Why the need for a pseudonym anyway for a tech writer... with the exception of Fake Steve Jobs?

Yeah, you can even see his face in the badly blurred out image. He's Dan. He's the main editor, and the contributing editor here lol. He's also the secretary and works part time in the cloakroom @ the weekends
  • Reply 25 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

Many of MS Office customers already do this with SharePoint and Office Live.

True. This really looks more like SharePoint than GoogleDocs. That isn't to say that it won't evolve. It probably will if they find a willing customer base.
  • Reply 26 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

Don't count on it. Mac users are becoming wise to Apple's game. Ship products with minimum features just to "get them" on the upgrade.

What is this supposed to mean? Just because they ship a product with, initially, a smaller set of features doesn't imply there is some kind of nefarious "trick" lurking behind it all. It's actually wise product and, specifically, software development. Get something simpler, smaller, yet functional and valuable out there for customers. It won't meet everyone's needs right away. No problem. Don't buy it if it doesn't. If it does, at some point in the future, then buy it. Nothing complex (or evil) here.
  • Reply 27 of 82
    As the article pointed out Apple is clearly learning (roll out something smaller and in beta before releasing the whole thing). Learning companies are good companies to invest in.

Apple is carefully dipping its toe into the "cloud computing" or "web applications" or "software as a service" waters. This is a good thing. No point in denying the reality of where things are going. While not exclusively web-based (like Google) it is clearly trying to figure out what the balance is. People will always need the devices (laptops, desktops, mobile, etc.) an APple will be there to provide them. But Apple is cleverly trying to create a complete solution (including the "cloud"). Smart.
  • Reply 28 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris Cuilla View Post

As the article pointed out Apple is clearly learning (roll out something smaller and in beta before releasing the whole thing). Learning companies are good companies to invest in.

Apple is carefully dipping its toe into the "cloud computing" or "web applications" or "software as a service" waters. This is a good thing. No point in denying the reality of where things are going. While not exclusively web-based (like Google) it is clearly trying to figure out what the balance is. People will always need the devices (laptops, desktops, mobile, etc.) an APple will be there to provide them. But Apple is cleverly trying to create a complete solution (including the "cloud"). Smart.

Bollox. They are not aggressive enough, and not only iWork, but Mobile me should be free also. They need to view this whole thing differently. They need to view iWork and Mobile me through a way-to-move-Macs lens. Doing this in the right way will sell Macs, and iPhones.
  • Reply 29 of 82
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    iWork.com is a good idea. However, I wish to see them take it to the next level. I would like to be able to use the iWork.com to edit documents online and to make a keynote presentation directly from the browser. This is special useful when I need to make a presentation using a windows machine. I know IE on Windows had full screen browsing.
  • Reply 30 of 82
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    Prince, in your text you mentioned that the uploaded document will be available on iWork.com for 3 months but the screen capture, just below it, says 120 days. I wish there were 40 days in a month, I could get a lot more done!
  • Reply 31 of 82
    Yawn. Wake me up in a couple of years, when it gets really excting, useful, and free (with iWork purchase).
  • Reply 32 of 82
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I guess Apple can count on you to pay for the service!

At least I am giving it a try before I shoot my mouth off.
  • Reply 33 of 82
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paperdoll View Post

Second, "given a great desktop email client nobody would use webmail?" Are you absolutely retarded? Most people would prefer webmail if the interface was as awesome as gmail.

Ummm, what "awesome gmail interface" are you talking about? I am sorry but Google doesn't know anything about UI. Not even Android has a UI. The only pretty thing they have is their menu.

Apple is the only company that really cares about User Interface and Design. Or is there any other reason all other websites look like copies of Apple.com?
  • Reply 34 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

At least I am giving it a try before I shoot my mouth off.

Oh a sensitive one.
  • Reply 35 of 82
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Oh a sensitive one.

Pot, may I introduce you to the kettle?
  • Reply 36 of 82
    ROFL, Flounder. Good one. While I enjoy reading Ireland's comments, he deserved that one! he he

Plus, I can't find Bollox in the dictionary. I can find a word with a different spelling. Are you sure that you have the spelling right, Ireland?
  • Reply 37 of 82
    Well, still have to try it out, but so far I don't see anything innovative or any reason to shell out additional money for this service.

I guess it'll be a very useful additon to iWork but should be free for purchasers of iWork.

I would rather like to have it integrated into MobileMe as well, instead of having yet-another service!
  • Reply 38 of 82
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    With Microsoft even embracing, albeit begrugingly, Open Document 1.2, where in the hell is the ODF 1.2 support inside of iWorks?
  • Reply 39 of 82
    I couldn't log into the service with my @mac.com address that I still use, I had to change it to @me.com. Anyone else?
  • Reply 40 of 82
    Quote:

Second, "given a great desktop email client nobody would use webmail?" Are you absolutely retarded? Most people would prefer webmail if the interface was as awesome as gmail. Most peoples experience with webmail are the horrendous interfaces provided by Hotmail, the online version of Outlook, and squirrelmail. Even if something with a gmail interface as available on the desktop I would still use it online for reasons of accessibility and the fact that it saves everything forever.

Actually, I think it's about 50/50 - some people prefer web based mail, and power users prefer email clients with IMAP support. Most people just think email is a web based tool ONLY because that's how they're used to it (gmail, yahoo, hotmail). An email client is weird and unfamiliar, even though for the most part, they're much more flexible and powerful.

Quote:

AppleInsider writers need to stop writing this absurd pat-yourself-on-the-back style of writing and get back to real facts and analysis. This stuff is just too self aggrandizing. The road to snow leopard articles were great because they were factual and not full of baseless judgments.

I can pretty much tell when a Prince article comes by just by skimming the first paragraph. His style is so full of hyperbole that it's really sad and completely destroys the actual meaning of the article.