Where's my 32GB iPhone?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
It was predicted with reason by many here that Macworld would be the place that Apple would reveal or bump the iPhone to 32 gig and the iPod touch an increment further. So where is it? I've been holding off on replacing my 16gig 1st gen iPhone until they have enough storage for all my music. Surely it will be a while now before it comes if not at Macworld?

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 6
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mpw_amherst View Post


    It was predicted with reason by many here that Macworld would be the place that Apple would reveal or bump the iPhone to 32 gig and the iPod touch an increment further. So where is it? I've been holding off on replacing my 16gig 1st gen iPhone until they have enough storage for all my music. Surely it will be a while now before it comes if not at Macworld?



    I would say June-ish.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    irelandireland Posts: 17,584member
    Yeah. I hope to God this new iPhone come June has a 4MP camera with a Xenon flash, 2X the RAM, and an OLED display. That's all I want. 32GB of storage would be a bonus. I'd pay $500 for an iPhone with those features. And I wouldn't be alone either. I suspect that stuff wouldn't even make the phone cost $499. It could be cheaper than that with those features with the same or higher profit margin come June.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,268member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mpw_amherst View Post


    It was predicted with reason by many here that Macworld would be the place that Apple would reveal or bump the iPhone to 32 gig and the iPod touch an increment further. So where is it? I've been holding off on replacing my 16gig 1st gen iPhone until they have enough storage for all my music. Surely it will be a while now before it comes if not at Macworld?



    That prediction was as unreasonable as they come.



    The iPhone is limited by NAND density. You can stack the memory in some cases

    and that's what the iPod Touch does because it doesn't have the phone chipsets. The iPhone can only have 1 board of NAND so you need to double the NAND density to hit

    32GB on a single layer board.



    Intel and Micron are starting production of 32Gb chips (4GB modules) the current iPhone/iPod Touch use 16Gb chips (2GB modules)



    You can put up to 8 modules on a board or whatever you want to call it so that's where we get to the max 16GB( 8x2GB chips) iPhone and 32GB (16x2GB chips) iPod Touch



    Once volume production of the 34nm 32GB chips hit you'll get your 32GB iPhone (8x4GB chips) and 64GB iPod Touch (16x4GB chips)



    Expecting these in January was folly from the start as no one is really volume producing 32Gb NAND chips to my knowledge.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,268member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    Yeah. I hope to God this new iPhone come June has a 4MP camera with a Xenon flash, 2X the RAM, and an OLED display. That's all I want. 32GB of storage would be a bonus. I'd pay $500 for an iPhone with those features. And I wouldn't be alone either. I suspect that stuff wouldn't even make the phone cost $499. It could be cheaper than that with those features with the same or higher profit margin come June.



    http://www.oled-display.net/what-is-amoled



    Gimme a 4" screen

    802.11n

    Bluetooth 2.1 with BT audio and NFC

    and a better camera and audio chip.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    irelandireland Posts: 17,584member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post


    http://www.oled-display.net/what-is-amoled



    Gimme a 4" screen

    802.11n

    Bluetooth 2.1 with BT audio and NFC

    and a better camera and audio chip.



    Everything but the bigger screen size. 3.5" is perfect!
  • Reply 6 of 6
    thttht Posts: 3,209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mpw_amherst View Post


    It was predicted with reason by many here that Macworld would be the place that Apple would reveal or bump the iPhone to 32 gig and the iPod touch an increment further. So where is it? I've been holding off on replacing my 16gig 1st gen iPhone until they have enough storage for all my music. Surely it will be a while now before it comes if not at Macworld?



    The prediction is still there. Many are predicting it for January, not necessarily MWSF09. It's just hat MWSF09 was a convenient convergence point for all things Apple. Last year, Apple announced the 16 GB iPhone and 32 GB iPod touch on Feb 5 via a press release. I would expect them to do the same for a prospective 32 GB iPhone. Last year, they essentially dribbled out announcements every week for 6 weeks straight!



    32 GB SDHC cards have been on sale for awhile now, and are now down in the $150 range. The density is there. It's all about mass production volumes and product timing. This month or early next month would be good product timing and I think the production volumes are there.
Sign In or Register to comment.