Sims 2 quit unexpectedly

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi,

I recently installed a new hard drive in my MBP Intel, early 2008 edition. I followed the instructions from: http://www.jeffcoughlin.com/blog/ind...-a-MacBook-Pro

Everything works fine after I put in the new drive except for the Sims 2. Whenever I try to run it, it says the application quit unexpectedly and I can choose to Ignore, Report to Apple, or Relaunch, but no matter what I do I can't get it started. If i boot my laptop off my old hard drive and try running it, it works perfect. I've tried reinstalling the game, fixing permissions on my new hard drive, and booting the sims off my old hard drive through an external inclosure.

Please help!

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,416moderator
    Click on the report and post the part around the 'Thread 0 crashed' area of text.

You may need to completely remove The Sims from your machine - try AppZapper for this - then reinstall. Post the crash log first though to see if it's anything obvious.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    meeflemeefle Posts: 17member
    Here's what it says after thread 0 crashed:

Thread 0 Crashed:

0 com.apple.security \t0x04428dd8 Security::MachO::nextCommand(load_command const*) const + 44

1 ??? \t0x02537929 0 + 39024937

2 dyld \t0x8fe12f36 ImageLoaderMachO::doModInitFunctions(ImageLoader:: LinkContext const&) + 246

3 dyld \t0x8fe0e7e3 ImageLoader::recursiveInitialization(ImageLoader:: LinkContext const&, unsigned int) + 307

4 dyld \t0x8fe0e8c9 ImageLoader::runInitializers(ImageLoader::LinkCont ext const&) + 57

5 dyld \t0x8fe04102 dyld::initializeMainExecutable() + 146

6 dyld \t0x8fe07bcf dyld::_main(mach_header const*, unsigned long, int, char const**, char const**, char const**) + 3087

7 dyld \t0x8fe01872 dyldbootstrap::start(mach_header const*, int, char const**, long) + 818

8 dyld \t0x8fe01037 _dyld_start + 39

Thread 0 crashed with X86 Thread State (32-bit):

eax: 0x0001e4a1 ebx: 0x0253811a ecx: 0x00000000 edx: 0x00000000

edi: 0x00000001 esi: 0x0001e4ab ebp: 0xbfffe178 esp: 0xbfffe148

ss: 0x0000001f efl: 0x00010246 eip: 0x04428dd8 cs: 0x00000017

ds: 0x0000001f es: 0x0000001f fs: 0x00000000 gs: 0x00000037

cr2: 0x00000035
  • Reply 3 of 14
    What version of the OS are you running and did you upgrade the OS after getting a new drive?

Also, can you run The Sims that is on the external drive while booted from the internal?
  • Reply 4 of 14
    I have all the latest updates, I did not update anything after switching drives. The Sims doesn't work when I'm running the OS on the internal and the sims is on the external. It only works when booting off the external (my old hard drive). I have OS X 10.5.6 and hardware wise, 2.5GHz C2D, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 17" hi-res LCD and the new drive is a Seagate 7200.3RPM 320GB SATA II.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Meefle View Post

The Sims doesn't work when I'm running the OS on the internal and the sims is on the external.

It seems like some game files on your internal drive may have changed or have not been copied during the clone. Sometimes clone software won't copy data from certain folders and sometimes it can put the wrong permissions on things.

You can try doing a permissions repair using Disk Utility.

I would doubt the following is the case but you can also check if the drive name makes a difference. It used to in older apps and it may use an older API. Your partition name will likely have changed during the switch.

If none of that helps, you will probably have to find all the hidden files that the Sims 2 puts on the drive and remove them. Preferences and things. AppZapper should help here:

http://appzapper.com/

This will of course remove all your settings. Be sure to backup your save games or profiles.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    alright i'll give it a try later, I've been using appCleaner to uninstall my apps but i'll give appzapper a try. I'll post back with how it works later, hopefully it'll work alright.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    still no working \. I've completely uninstalled and reinstalled the sims 2 and still get the same message. I've deleted the preferences and save games and everything the Sims 2 needs. I'm not sure what else to do
  • Reply 8 of 14
    You can try making a new user account and seeing if it will run under that.

Also, do you have the external connected while launching? It may check for other installed versions.

The best people to resolve this would be the developers who make the game. You'd open a support ticket here with what how it happened and the symptoms and they will step you through how to resolve it:

http://support.aspyr.com/

There's also a forum here, someone may have experienced the same thing:

http://modthesims2.com/forumdisplay.php?f=443

Does the sims require the DVD to be in the drive while playing btw?
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Looking around the forum link you sent me, it looks like it could be a OS X 10.5.5 Intel problem but idk for sure, cause it worked fine before i copied my hard drive. I'm on vacation right now and internet is slow, so when i get back, i'm gonna try downloadin the latest patch and see if that helps anything. The new account thing didn't work and I do not have the external hooked up when i try running it.

I'll keep researching and tryin new stuff, its really frusturating cause i had it working before i replaced my hard drive and i just started a new game \. Hopefully i get the it fixed soon
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Update, I just installed the Sim 2 patch, the latest one, and still nothing . I'm running out of ideas
  • Reply 11 of 14
    If you open the console app in /Applications/Utilities, does it add anything to the window when the app crashes? Sometimes apps output debug information when they encounter a problem.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    1/9/09 9:30:23 PM com.apple.launchd[103] ([0x0-0x16016].com.aspyr.TheSims2[193]) Exited abnormally: Bus error

That's what it says
  • Reply 13 of 14
    You can also try launching in a terminal to see if it gives any more info. Right-click the Sims 2 package > show package contents. Then go to Contents > MacOS and double-click the Sims main file.

There are caches and things in that folder structure that but deleting these probably won't help as you've already reinstalled.

You may have seen the Aspyr advice on fixing crashing:

Try repairing your disk permissions (if you have not done so already). To do this, open up your hard drive, open the Applications folder, go to Utilities, and launch 'Disk Utility'. Under 'First Aid', select your main hard drive volume (usually labeled 'Macintosh HD') and hit 'Repair Disk Permissions'. Once this is complete, reboot your Mac.

If this fails to solve the problem, I would suggest fully reinstalling the game, and making certain all related files are removed to ensure a clean reinstall. Trash the main Sims 2, located on your hard drive. Check several other locations for files relating the game, and remove them. These include:

Users/Shared/EA Games/The Sims 2/

Home/Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2/

Home/Library/Preferences/com.aspyr.thesims2.plist

Home/Library/Preferences/com.aspyr.thesims2bodyshop.plist

Home/Library/Preferences/com.aspyr.thesims2packageinstaller.plist

Note that 'Home' refers to your personal account folder, an icon that looks like a house and is labeled with your user name.

Once you are sure all of these files are removed and the Trash has been emptied, you may reinstall the game. I suggest placing it inside of the Applications folder on your Macintosh HD.

Make certain that before you attempt to install any expansions or stuff packs, that you run the game at least once.

After installing any available expansions, but BEFORE attempting to install any Stuff Packs, make certain that you install this patch: http://support.aspyr.com/index.php?x...root=36&id=488

You seem to have already tried all those steps though. Someone had mentioned that Aspyr games don't like drives formatted as case-insensitive - if you formatted the drive normally, it should be case-sensitive though. You have to choose case-insensitive specifically when formatting. Which format did you choose btw?
  • Reply 14 of 14
    I choose Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) which i'm pretty sure is case-insensitive. It's the same format as my old drive and the one i followed in the instructions in my first post