Source: Apple plans to attend CES in 2010

Comments

• Reply 21 of 80
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    This makes sense. Computers today are not like what they were 10 or 20 years ago. Consumer Electronics and Computers have merged together in ways that no ever considered in the past.

For example, I have been communicating with Dice Electronics about tech support needed on my iPod Connection Kit in my car (need firmware updated). Anyway, there was a long delay between emails until today. I got a response with an apology stating that most of their staff is at CES! They are not showing off their products at Macworld Expo!
  • Reply 22 of 80
    I for one think it would be great for Apple to have a presence at CES '10. Contrary to what many may think, there are a lot of Apple-related products at CES, especially this year. Just look at Apple's enormous influence in the music/electronics market- it is literally spilling into the auto industry (its no secret that Ford's CEO Alan Mulally loves the Apple interface), and the auto electronics expo is one of CES's largest venues (and its red hot this year). Seriously though, there's really no need nowadays to have so many electronics expos all over the world. They all showcase the same thing: new electronics. The sheer fact that Apple itself would migrate to CES would mean that Macworld would be at CES. Watch Macworld's vendors flock next year
  • Reply 23 of 80
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Excellent. Now I see why they pulled out of a MacWorld. This makes more sense as Apple will have a much wider audience, not to mention be where M$ is at. Face to face. This will be interesting.
  • Reply 24 of 80
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nine9nin View Post

something huge is in the works for 2010

Hopefully that something big is another Apple blockbuster. My hopes are this isn't a signal of Steve Jobs, the star of Apple, leaving the company. I know he has spoken to the subject but MacWorld is really Steve Jobs' RDF. No Steve, no MacWorld.

I'm not sure why Microsoft still gets the opening keynote for CES. They are not the trend setters or the only thriving ecosystem in the market. Google's leaders have more vision than Microsoft has ever had.

Steve Jobs aside, this signals Apple becoming a mainstream concern and going to CES is only natural. This years CES was pretty lame. With Apple at next years they would be a welcome site from even their competitor so they could ride their coat tails with cheaper me-to products (T-Mobile G1, Blackberry Storm, Netflix media center, Windows 7).
  • Reply 25 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

I can just see Apple stealing the whole show.

Sorry, I had to reply to this. You do realize that CES caters across multiple industries, right? This year they expect 100+ thousand people to attend, and that's amid a global recession. The vast majority of those expo-goers are not consumers either, they are industry and trade reps, all trying to get the latest scoops, deals and supplies for the upcoming year. Apple would not steal the whole show, as packing up and moving to CES would mean they're entering (literally) a whole different world (or worlds if you're talking about different industries). I know many people love Apple (myself included), but do realize that Apple is not the center of the electronics universe.
  • Reply 26 of 80
    Why would Apple need to go to CES to overshadow everyone else? They accomplished just that two years ago at Macworld.
  • Reply 27 of 80
    Quote:

it's not like Microsoft is going to have anything much to talk about at CES 2010, after all by then Win 7 would have been launched, or whatever.
  • Reply 28 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPeon View Post

Excellent. Now I see why they pulled out of a MacWorld. This makes more sense as Apple will have a much wider audience, not to mention be where M$ is at. Face to face. This will be interesting.

+1 makes perfect sense to me too. I think it's a good move for Apple.
  • Reply 29 of 80
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asgiov View Post

interesting...

I guess that's going to put the final nail in the coffin for Macworld...

Now all the apple fanboys are gonna head to CES instead and Macworld 2010 will be empty as hell.

The fanboys aren't allowed in CES. It industry only. If this pans out, I wouldn't expect any big Apple announcements at CES or even a keynote. I would imagine this would be to give the industry access to Apple and each other.
  • Reply 30 of 80
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    OK -Was I not the one who suggested this and predicted this yesterday?

Apple is a total combination of SONY and Microsoft (electronics giant and software company).

Let the battle of the Keynotes begin!
  • Reply 31 of 80
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    While I initially had a hard time believing the news, it was mainly due to my assumption Apple would have to make a keynote on someone else's schedule. But maybe they just want a booth!! They don't even need to announce new things per se, just "be there" and present what they already have. They'd be one of the few exhibitors with products that are already on the market, rather than prototypes and promises.

I also notice how the media (not just the tech media) can kind of get away with almost ignoring Macworld because it's so specific, while they always report on the broader CES (no matter how dull) and even E3. Of course they report on Apple's keynote, but because they (Macworld and CES) are two separate trade shows, they also give ample time to Microsoft.

By invading CES, the media will have to make a choice between the two. That's exactly what Apple wants.
  • Reply 32 of 80
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member
    Quote:

Whether Apple steals the show or not, it is like moving from a pond to the ocean. There will be so many more opportunities at CES that it is not even funny. Besides, CES is where all of the non-dedicated to Apple press is anyway so go where the action is (and the tech partners they really should be talking with). The existing Apple partners will, for the most part, either already be there or come along for the action.
  • Reply 33 of 80
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    I'm still not seeing the benefit.

CES is huge but it's not like vendors out there don't know who Apple is.
  • Reply 34 of 80
    I'm no expert of course and I'm sure Apple has already done their homework to way out the reasons why it would be better to be at CES rather than Macword; however, my personal belief (not that it means much) is I always figured Apple received a great deal of coverage by holding their own events at Macworld and hope this does not lessen their media presence at CES mixed in with all those other vendors in there.

I can already see the PC vs. Mac fights that are going to break out at CES in 2010... hehe

This could be good and it could be not so good.... I guess I'll wait to find out and see how it all works out. -- Roadtrip 2010!
  • Reply 35 of 80
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I'm still not seeing the benefit.

CES is huge but it's not like vendors out there don't know who Apple is.

It has to do image. Apple is considered an outsider by the tech industry. No one likes outsiders no matter how good or effective they are. M$ is the God whose tech all else revolves around. Apple's move to be at CES is purely psychological - an intrusion directly aimed at interfering with MS's playground. It's a game, a game that is being very well played by S.J.
  • Reply 36 of 80
    The majority of you need to come to your senses.

Peon... CES is not MS's playgorund. And despite what the non-informed writer of this article thinks, CES is NOT a party held in honor of MS.

Christ, the first CES was held in 1967 WAY before Apple or MS were even start ups!

Does Apple make some great products? Most definitely. But like iReality said, Apple is not the center of the tech universe. CES is a much bigger thing than MacWorld and whole different ballgame.

Ireland? Networked TV's from Apple next year?? LOL They'll only be a year behind. Take a look at some of the stuff Samsung rolled out this week. MacTouch? Check out the Lenovo A600 they rolled out earlier this week. You'll have to have something bigger then those two to make a dent at CES.

Case in point? From the looks of it, the iPhone killer is soon to be here. Palm came back relevance big time today with the Pre. This beta version of the phone caused ALOT of heads to turn today, and it even has a QWERTY keyboard.

I'm not a Mac guy. I have an Ipod, yes. But Jesus, some of you guys have to realize that Apple isn't the end all be all of tech.
  • Reply 37 of 80
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:

'reinventing' the whole show.

I think that it will be good to have them placed in amongst more fierce competition. If they make a presentation like this year's MW, they will suffer for it as their offering will be contrasted with the other companies.

Makes me wonder if they are developing something that deserves a bigger stage than MW.
  • Reply 38 of 80
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    I suspect that the idea mentioned above about Apple going mainstream makes the most sense. Apple used to be the renegade. Ages ago the Macintosh team flew a pirate flag over their building. Now Apple stores nestle in among Pottery Barn and Nordstroms. Hardly pirates any longer. I don't think they'll make a blockbuster new product announcements at CES. Rather they'll be looking for a chance to blend in, to make deals, to find ways to cooperate. The message will be "we're a $40B company and we're going to grow up and act like it". It has been a long time since the days of the Think Different campaign.

I'll speculate that the Apple booth at CES will be heavy on iPods, iPhone, iMacs and MacBooks. You'll hardly see an Xserve or a MBP or FCP or Cinema Displays. They didn't even they show FCP at MWSF. It wasn't mentioned in the keynote. Note that Apple didn't exhibit at NAB last year.

CES is on a downtrend. This year is smaller than last year. 2010 will be quite a bit smaller than this year due to the economy. Trade shows are on the way out.

Macworld is at heart a user conference, not a trade show. It will probably shrink quite a bit as well, but if it embraces its education mission it should be able to stay healthy for quite some time. I was amazed at the size of the Lynda booth. They clearly think there is money to be made in teaching people to better their skills using software.
  • Reply 39 of 80
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    If they have a booth at CES, I hope they enable 'Tap to Click'. I'm always seeing some curious person come into an Apple Store, move the cursor over to the dock, tap, give up, and go look at the iPods instead.
  • Reply 40 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

The fanboys aren't allowed in CES. It industry only. If this pans out, I wouldn't expect any big Apple announcements at CES or even a keynote. I would imagine this would be to give the industry access to Apple and each other.

Ben, I think you're right on the money here. Apple said they didn't like MacWorld because they felt under pressure to announce products at the most unfavourable time of the year. However they clearly have ambitions to leverage new industry-wide protocols (Grand Central, Open CL, Sprout Core etc). Attending CES would be a great way of pushing these objectives, which of course run counter to MS's plans.