Dell kind of, sort of unveils the Adamo ultra-thin notebook

Comments

• Reply 41 of 78
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

and with all the hoopla on how a DELL looks like a MACBOOK from 2 years ago, I take it know one has seen the new MSI machines, basically a carbon copy of the AIR...

Simply because they've made a look a like does not necessarily mean its the same computer.

Quote:

I am by no means an MSFT apollogetist its just that this time, I think MICROSOFT is going to HAMMER apple and it's cloud features, tv delivery, mac compatible services, GPUGPU (which snow leapord does not have), MESH, LIVE, application services, meaning WORD and probably CS5 down the road and so much more, from any computer.

This is all beta software at the moment. I would at least wait until Windows 7 and Snow Leopard are in wide use to make a comparisons of the two.

Quote:

Apple can't even impliement PUSH, flash or copy/paste whereas MSFT is going to focus on services, table top displays, benable monitors that you can fold and put in your back pack, and TOUCH is built into Windows 7.

There is no evidence that Apple cannot implement these functions. Its more likely that Apple has not yet chosen to implement them. Its possible Apple may be working on ideas that exceed our expectations.

On the same token. Its not very likely Microsoft is suddenly going create foldable touch monitors.

Quote:

Think about it - I predicted years ago, FCP editors will be in demand as the NET will replace TV and shows will be every where, (with it also will come better EDITING PLATFORMS from any computer (SERVICE SOFTWARE) while Apple locks you into their hardware, or forces you to get a $2000 machine if you want a laptop, good graphics, and firewire. Plus the GPUGPU built into Windows 7 looks like a winner.

This entire paragraph is a collection of words that make little sense.

Quote:

While I am a fan of Apple, I am NOT a fan boy and need to tell it like it is - many think MS copies when in fact (e.g.) MS invented the search FIRST but APPLE delivered it FIRST, with the DOCK, it was created by K'bulator (google YZ Dock) and in terms of Operating Systems, in 2/3D, Sun Microsystems had it first, years ago... here:

Microsoft did not invent search.

Dashboard is like Konfabulaor not the Dock. The Macintosh used desktop widgets in the 80's. So that was nothing new either.

OS X Aqua was introduced in 2000, Sun's Looking Glass was introduced in 2003. They are entirely different technologies, from a code perspective and have little in common.
  • Reply 42 of 78
    Apple's notebooks don't have a wedge, they are tapered.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I remember a time when some Apple fans ragged on Windows notebooks that had the wedge shape. Now that Apple does it, it's a feature.

• Reply 43 of 78
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

According to*Engadget, all they could get out of Dell execs was that "Alienware is [Dell's] top performance brand, Adamo is our top design brand."

Ok... let me get this right... The exec says it's a Dell but just looks nicer...

I'll start it off...

A pig wearing lipstick is still a pig...

A turd wrapped in linen is still a turd...

Any others???
  • Reply 44 of 78
    Windows cloud service isn't even active yet. An active service cannot be way behind vaporware.

Quote:

In retrospect, Apple can't get PUSH right and doesn't have FLASH/Copy Paste for iPhone and their cloud (ME) seems way behind compared to what MS is doing

• Reply 45 of 78
    Its actually the other way around. Windows is extremely proprietary. MS does not really directly support any open standard. MS has a Windows branded competitor to almost every service and standard used on a desktop OS.

Apple widely support open standards. Most all of Apple's software is in some way based on open software. Apple partners with other companies to deliver services instead of competing against everyone.

Quote:

Apple's problem is they have to many restrictions and proprietary vibes to everything they do

• Reply 46 of 78
    I know it's the mac air competitor but let's hope it is not the same slow laggy specs of the mac air. Which I assume it will because intel just released those 4 new notebook processors. We will see.
  • Reply 47 of 78
    What exactly are you measuring the Air against?

The Air is the only ultra portable notebook using 1.8GHz Merom processors, 1066 FSB, and Nvidia GeForce 9400M GPU. Other ultra portable notebooks are using slower processors, less capable graphics, and cost more.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daniel0418 View Post

I know it's the mac air competitor but let's hope it is not the same slow laggy specs of the mac air. Which I assume it will because intel just released those 4 new notebook processors. We will see.

• Reply 48 of 78
    wheelhotwheelhot Posts: 465member
    Quote:

Think about it - I predicted years ago, FCP editors will be in demand as the NET will replace TV and shows will be every where, (with it also will come better EDITING PLATFORMS from any computer (SERVICE SOFTWARE) while Apple locks you into their hardware, or forces you to get a $2000 machine if you want a laptop, good graphics, and firewire. Plus the GPUGPU built into Windows 7 looks like a winner.

Hmm, fyi, Windows 7 is actually Windows Vista underneath with major software coding revision. The UI change is just something MS do to make it deserve a new name instead of Vista SE. So how do I know this? Cause its impossible for MS to build up Windows 7 from the ground up, look how long it took from XP to Vista? And who wants unusable clunky graphics, so far I have high hopes for Windows 7, Vista sucks bad!.
  • Reply 49 of 78
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by columbus View Post

When I said difficult engineering, I wasn't talking about just manufacturing the unibody. To have a computer you have to put something inside the case as well.

I don't think that's such a big deal either. Yeah, there's plenty engineering work, but it's made a lot simpler if you just axe ports and drop devices which other companies can't bring themselves to do.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Apple's notebooks don't have a wedge, they are tapered.

I was referring to the Air. Which is a wedge. The other models, sure, those are tapered on the edge, but that's not what I meant.
  • Reply 50 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wheelhot View Post

Cause its impossible for MS to build up Windows 7 from the ground up, look how long it took from XP to Vista?

It is true that Windows 7 is a cleanup of Vista. But the reasoning in the quote is not correct. Half the time between XP and Vista was spent on a project that Microsoft swept away, they started anew only a couple years before Vista was released, and as such, it was haphazard.
  • Reply 51 of 78
    Quote:

GPUGPU (which snow leapord does not have)

Really? Assuming you meant GPGPU, last I heard, it does, and Apple's term for it is OpenCL, which, to be redundant, is supported in Snow Leopard.
  • Reply 52 of 78
    Yes I guess it has a slight wedge. Not as dramatic as the Sony Viao's though.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I was referring to the Air. Which is a wedge. The other models, sure, those are tapered on the edge, but that's not what I meant.

• Reply 53 of 78
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    hiimamac, calm down. You're comparing what Apple has out today with what Microsoft has promised years down the road. Trust me, we've all been there before. When MS gets its back to the wall, it tries to promise its way out. Customers hear the promises, hold off purchases, and the product never lives up to the hype. But this time it won't work against Apple, because Apple's diversified into iPods and iPhones.

Basically... iPhone > MS Mobile, MacOS X > Vista. Netflix may have a deal with Microsoft, but they aren't Microsoft... they could make a deal with anyone. Windows 7 looks nice, but will probably be released alongside whatever MacOS X release comes AFTER Snow Leopard. (Remember when everyone was talking about Vista vs. MacOS 10.3? Then Vista vs. MacOS 10.4? Then Vista vs. MacOS 10.5 when Vista was actually released with 1/2 the promised features?)

So basically, don't get too excited. By the time Microsoft gets any of this stuff worked out, the competitors will have been there already. They're just really good at promising the future.
  • Reply 54 of 78
    [QUOTE=AppleInsider;1360903]After weeks of speculation surrounding Dell's rumored MacBook Air competitor, the PC maker finally gave a sneak peek to journalists of its new Adamo portable at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.

Everything that is wrong with this Dell is obvious, MBA/MBP ripoff, runs Vista or worse, why can't PC manufacturers come up with some original ideas for once?

Steve, I think said it best at last years MacWorld " You can get OS X Leopard, only $129 for the Ultimate Version..."

Mean while all of the Winbox designers try to copy Apple, they just don't get it; "It's the OS stupid..."

To me it isn't the looks of the machine, it's the ease of use and rock solid reliability of OS X that keeps me coming back. Pretty boxes and flashy "gadgets" don't cut it...
  • Reply 55 of 78
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

+

I'd be surprised if this is thinner than an Air. It certainly doesn't look like it. If it is, we are talking perhaps a tenth of an inch or maybe even millimetres.

We will be talking millimetres thankyou and not fluid ounces, yards, degrees Fahrenheit, handspans or any other wacky system of measurement that no-one outside of America understands.
  • Reply 56 of 78
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

hiimamac. Any chance you can calm down a bit?

We're just talkin' about a couple of notebooks here! Your stream of consciousness shit is making me dizzy.

His head seams to be in the MSFT Clouds.
  • Reply 57 of 78
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Hey Hiiamamac,

Just yo bring you back down to earth from the Microsoft Vapourware clouds.

TWO WORDS:

LIVE ANYWHERE !!!!!!
  • Reply 58 of 78
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    MSI's Macbook air clone is thicker across its width at 1.9cm (does not taper at the sides.

It runs an Atom single core CPU and has 2GB ram

It has 3 USB ports, a card reader and VGA port. (hence the thickness)

Its plastic with an Aluminium paint finish.

Runs vista basic.

So, they managed the amazing feat of putting a netbook into a Macbook air fat clone.

Impressive, NOT!
  • Reply 59 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

What exactly are you measuring the Air against?

The Air is the only ultra portable notebook using 1.8GHz Merom processors, 1066 FSB, and Nvidia GeForce 9400M GPU. Other ultra portable notebooks are using slower processors, less capable graphics, and cost more.

I was talking about the MAC Air and this new Dell. I will give in to the fact that the Air is the only 'Ultra Portable' with these specs. Though the Graphics card is nothing special today and they only implemented it to make Suite work as it failed to do so on the previous air, 1.8 is very lackluster as Dell and Intel are already implementing 2.0 Quad and 2.9 Duo cores for Ultra Portables. My point in the previous post was that if dell wants to compete with the Mac Air, then it cannot be as slow. I also meant to say, I don't think it will be because of intels 4 new note book chips. The Macbook Air is a cute toy for kids to go on myspace. 2 GB of Ram is good enough I suppose at 1066 although you can get a much cheaper notebook with a lot faster processor, better video card, and up to 8 gb of 1,333 RAM and still put OS X on it. I went on this useless RANT and I apologize. I am excited for this new laptop though I am not going to expect anything good. I just hope for their sake it isn't a POS like the air.
  • Reply 60 of 78
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    All notebooks are unimpressive compared with the new Vaio Type P pocket sized PC and it's gorgeous. I am a huge Mac fanboy and would seriously consider buying this. This with my new iPod Touch would go oh so beautifully together. MacBooks/Pros are WAY too clunky. What the hell is Apple doing? Essentially the same form factor for the past how many years? Oooh wow a MacAir. Junk.

http://www.vaio.sony.co.jp/Products/P1/