Dell kind of, sort of unveils the Adamo ultra-thin notebook

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 78
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

All notebooks are unimpressive compared with the new Vaio Type P pocket sized PC and it's gorgeous. I am a huge Mac fanboy and would seriously consider buying this. This with my new iPod Touch would go oh so beautifully together. MacBooks/Pros are WAY too clunky. What the hell is Apple doing? Essentially the same form factor for the past how many years? Oooh wow a MacAir. Junk.

http://www.vaio.sony.co.jp/Products/P1/

I think it's completely unreasonable to call a product junk because it doesn't fit your needs and wants.

Would you appreciate it if I said the Type P device is junk because it doesn't fit my needs?

I don't have an Air, don't need or want one, I'm just saying you don't need to be absurd about this. It seems like people have their identities wrapped up in what kinds of products they use.
  • Reply 62 of 78
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

Between $900.00 and $1500.00

And people accuse Apple of being too expensive!
  • Reply 63 of 78
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    This is a classic marketing technique used to try and create excitement about an unannounced product so when the product finally comes out people will check it out. Dell only wanted to get people talking about the brand, which seems to be successful. Getting people to buy is yet to be determined.

As far as Apple falling behind the times, I wouldn't bet on it. Apple operates differently then competitors. It announces products it is going to ship either immediately or soon. Many of these so called competing products are coming out later in the year, by which time Apple will have revised most of it's products. Some of the so called competing products are also concepts, which Apple doesn't do (at least publicly).

I also think people don't tend to see the significance of Snow Leopard. Snow Leopard is essentially an effort to lay the foundation for the future, and clean up old code. Performance benefit will be seen immediately, however, it is the future where we will see the real benefit. Windows 7 is essentially a cleaned up Vista with a different name for marketing purposes. There is no way Microsoft is rewriting the entire OS in such a short time. Vista has been such marketing nightmare for Microsoft it had no choice to make some appearance changes and ditch the name.
  • Reply 64 of 78
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daniel0418 View Post

I was talking about the MAC Air and this new Dell. I will give in to the fact that the Air is the only 'Ultra Portable' with these specs. Though the Graphics card is nothing special today and they only implemented it to make Suite work as it failed to do so on the previous air, 1.8 is very lackluster as Dell and Intel are already implementing 2.0 Quad and 2.9 Duo cores for Ultra Portables. My point in the previous post was that if dell wants to compete with the Mac Air, then it cannot be as slow. I also meant to say, I don't think it will be because of intels 4 new note book chips. The Macbook Air is a cute toy for kids to go on myspace. 2 GB of Ram is good enough I suppose at 1066 although you can get a much cheaper notebook with a lot faster processor, better video card, and up to 8 gb of 1,333 RAM and still put OS X on it. I went on this useless RANT and I apologize. I am excited for this new laptop though I am not going to expect anything good. I just hope for their sake it isn't a POS like the air.

I happen to own one of those "POS air's" and while you're entitled to your opinion, it is not gospel to everyone else. My MBA is the best ultraportable I've owned. This is my first personal Apple machine and it is in such a higher-league than the other non-Apple machines I've owned.

Yes, it does not have the entire kitchen sink in it like you want but that is not the purpose of an ultra-portable. Just because it is not right for you, does not mean it is not right for everyone else.

As a business machine, it excels in everything it was meant to do. Super portable, fast, and thanks to the aluminum construction, it is an incredibly durable machine that can take a beating. Things that very mobile individuals (like me) consider important. I could care less if it can't support 8GB, Crysis at 150fps when all I use my mobile machine is for corporate work. This is the intent of ultraportables. And yes, I paid more to know I was getting higher-quality machine that is more than the sum of just its internal components. An area that people seem to continuously ignore.

Netbooks are a different subject.

My VM/XP runs faster on my MBA than it did running natively on my previous Sony Vaio. Not too bad for what you consider "junk".

Stop thinking the world revolves around you. It certainly doesn't. If something was not made to your personal requirements, get over it.
  • Reply 65 of 78
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Wow, beautiful! The laptop is so-so though.

I agree. Stylish, sophisticated-looking and thin.

But the laptop is dull and and will not use the luxury OS which is the key to the whole experience.
  • Reply 66 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I happen to own one of those "POS air's" and while you're entitled to your opinion, it is not gospel to everyone else. My MBA is the best ultraportable I've owned. This is my first personal Apple machine and it is in such a higher-league than the other non-Apple machines I've owned.

Yes, it does not have the entire kitchen sink in it like you want but that is not the purpose of an ultra-portable. Just because it is not right for you, does not mean it is not right for everyone else.

As a business machine, it excels in everything it was meant to do. Super portable, fast, and thanks to the aluminum construction, it is an incredibly durable machine that can take a beating. Things that very mobile individuals (like me) consider important. I could care less if it can't support 8GB, Crysis at 150fps when all I use my mobile machine is for corporate work. This is the intent of ultraportables. And yes, I paid more to know I was getting higher-quality machine that is more than the sum of just its internal components. An area that people seem to continuously ignore.

Netbooks are a different subject.

My VM/XP runs faster on my MBA than it did running natively on my previous Sony Vaio. Not too bad for what you consider "junk".

Stop thinking the world revolves around you. It certainly doesn't. If something was not made to your personal requirements, get over it.

Yes. The point of my post was that I thought the world revolves around me. Very nice reply. Though the entire post is irrelevant. Why would you say "I could care less if it can't support 8GB"? The world doesn't revolve around you. And yes maybe your Mac book is more powerful than previous PC notebooks but it is also more powerful than previous macs. It is not more powerful than current PC's especially in that price range. And ok cool it supports iWork. Cool. Photographers need an ultraportable for graphic editing tools and short movie editors. If you ever have listened to engadget podcasts they all complain about how laggy the air is. The guy regrets getting it. This is all besides the point. Hopefully the dell notebook can run more than just iwork and myspace.
  • Reply 67 of 78
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

I was talking about the MAC Air and this new Dell. I will give in to the fact that the Air is the only 'Ultra Portable' with these specs.

Well we haven't seen the specs on the Dell yet. But then it doesn't look like an ultra portable, it looks like the black MacBook.

Quote:

Though the Graphics card is nothing special today and they only implemented it to make Suite work as it failed to do so on the previous air, 1.8 is very lackluster as Dell and Intel are already implementing 2.0 Quad and 2.9 Duo cores for Ultra Portables. My point in the previous post was that if dell wants to compete with the Mac Air, then it cannot be as slow. I also meant to say, I don't think it will be because of intels 4 new note book chips. The Macbook Air is a cute toy for kids to go on myspace. 2 GB of Ram is good enough I suppose at 1066 although you can get a much cheaper notebook with a lot faster processor, better video card, and up to 8 gb of 1,333 RAM and still put OS X on it. I went on this useless RANT and I apologize. I am excited for this new laptop though I am not going to expect anything good. I just hope for their sake it isn't a POS like the air.

I don't think you understand the difference between an ultra portable and standard notebooks. Ultra portables don't have Quad core processors, dedicated graphics cards, or 8GB of RAM. Those are features of larger desktop replacement notebooks.
  • Reply 68 of 78
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Nope, you don't understand the point of an ultra portable.

Quote:

Yes. The point of my post was that I thought the world revolves around me. Very nice reply. Though the entire post is irrelevant. Why would you say "I could care less if it can't support 8GB"? The world doesn't revolve around you. And yes maybe your Mac book is more powerful than previous PC notebooks but it is also more powerful than previous macs. It is not more powerful than current PC's especially in that price range. And ok cool it supports iWork. Cool. Photographers need an ultraportable for graphic editing tools and short movie editors. If you ever have listened to engadget podcasts they all complain about how laggy the air is. The guy regrets getting it. This is all besides the point. Hopefully the dell notebook can run more than just iwork and myspace.

• Reply 69 of 78
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Well said.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Stop thinking the world revolves around you...SNIP

Ironically the ultra-portable that Apple once had and should be making again (The Newton), bares the name of the law that proves the world does revolve around me.

Thanks for confirming it!
  • Reply 70 of 78
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Nope, he just doesn't get it.
  • Reply 71 of 78
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:

All notebooks are unimpressive compared with the new Vaio Type P pocket sized PC and it's gorgeous. I am a huge Mac fanboy and would seriously consider buying this. This with my new iPod Touch would go oh so beautifully together. MacBooks/Pros are WAY too clunky. What the hell is Apple doing? Essentially the same form factor for the past how many years? Oooh wow a MacAir. Junk.

So you would rather pay through the nose for an 8" display 'netbook' running Vista on an intel 1.33ghz CPU.

LMAO

Good luck with that one.
  • Reply 72 of 78
    albimalbim Posts: 68member
    That entire novel of a post was rendered redundant when you spelled Netflix "NETFLICKS"

And to defend myself on the netflix front, I use it on my xbox.
  • Reply 73 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ALBIM View Post

That entire novel of a post was rendered redundant when you spelled Netflix "NETFLICKS"

Rendered "Redundant?" I didn't see the original post: what did he spell it wrong and then quote himself spelling it wrong again?
  • Reply 74 of 78
    aakaaaka Posts: 17member
    Will it still use Microsoft Windows? Options for Linux? Thin is nice but at the end it has to work most of the time. I am not sure I want a machine with Microsoft products on it.

Arvi
  • Reply 75 of 78
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

We will be talking millimetres thankyou and not fluid ounces, yards, degrees Fahrenheit, handspans or any other wacky system of measurement that no-one outside of America understands.

This is a pretty rabid nasty reply to what was an innocuous statement. Was it because I used "inches" and "millimetres" in the same sentence? Hopefully it was a joke, but then you should've put a smiley face in there so that we all know you are not just being an assh*le.
  • Reply 76 of 78
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

We will be talking millimetres thankyou and not fluid ounces, yards, degrees Fahrenheit, handspans or any other wacky system of measurement that no-one outside of America understands.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ALBIM View Post

That's nice, but do you really want this to be your contribution to the conversation?
  • Reply 77 of 78
    When Dell called their product line "Adamo", was I the only one who immediately thought of Lorne Greene?

And boy, there's so much Microsoft vapor floating around in here, a few of our posters appear to be getting light-headed. No doubt Windows 7 will be an improvement over Vista, but I am highly skeptical of their ability to ship on time and without myriad major problems.
  • Reply 78 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rnp1 View Post

Too bad this Dell copy of a Mac doesn't run OSX.

If Leopard can be installed on a Dell Mini 9 why wouldn't it be on this MBA wannabe?